Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,108 members, 7,953,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:17 PM

What Then Is African About Jumia - Lami Content Man - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / What Then Is African About Jumia - Lami Content Man (311 Views)

Elon Musk Is African / Whatsapp Group For Online Merchants (konga/jumia Etc.). We Need An Alliance... / Jumia Global – Buy Products Shipped From Overseas For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Then Is African About Jumia - Lami Content Man by DejiPlug(m): 8:51am On Apr 25, 2019
Just a few days ago the Pan African tech giant “JUMIA” made it to the unicorn status in New York when the Nigerian CEO rang loud to the ears of the world the NSE bell�. However, one thing baffles me and that’s the fact that this almost $3billion worth multinational e-commerce tech brand has its company legals incorporated in Germany, HQ in UAE & engineering powers in Portugal�. Upon the latter, one promptly in curiosity may want to ask what exactly then is African about Jumia? Ok I see, some may argue the obvious that Jumia’s heavy cash operations happens on the African terrain, creating jobs for the African people by connecting sellers to buyers etc My loving Yoruba mum once told me “to ju ba farabale a rimu” meaning if eyes are calm and careful enough, they will see the hidden nose, hmmmm I sigh, nodding my head in understanding. Yet, it’s glaring that most part of the revenue generated through this cash cow tech company is obviously going into the pockets of its foreign owners, yes bitter but I dare someone to deny this truth. I also really got bitten by the words of Jumia’s group CEO & co-founder during an interview at the New York Stock exchange, depicting the fast rising African technology ecosystem as a terrain that currently lack competent developers, wow, like seriously? Anyway I won’t blame this on such an enlightened investor who has together with other foreign cash might have risked their money in our under developed African soil that cannot boast of a safe business environment backed with modern infrastructure & basic important amenities like power supply which directly affects the cost of internet data and then the chain reacts deep on raw creativity & genuine innovation from locals. So why then won’t we truly lack the numbers of software developers to match our increasing jackpot millennial filled technology enthusiasts population when most of our money miss road heavy weight billionaires continuously refuse at large to invest in STEM education, overall giving little or no chance to 100% African owned start ups to rise above the tides and blossom up to other world unicorns, food for thought � abi?

(1) (Reply)

XIAOMI Redmi Note 5AI (4/64GB) For Sale / "..." /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.