Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money (1222 Views)

Afghan Women Scream ‘The Taliban Are Coming' As They Beg Troops To Save Them / Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money / Amadou Sall, Big-Sized Senegal President’s Son. Photos Go Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by adem30: 10:17pm On Apr 25, 2019
(CBS/AP) DAKAR, Senegal - Senegalese lawmakers, who are divided between a 150-seat national assembly and a 100-seat senate, voted to do away with the senate, passing a law which dissolves the institution in order to save an estimated $15 million.

Minister of Justice Aminata Toure explained that the suppression Tuesday of the senate is intended to curb government spending, and will provide the cash needed to help the victims of the yearly rains which have left thousands homeless and killed at least 13 people.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senegal-gets-rid-of-its-senate-to-save-money/

Unlike the national assembly, the senate is a relatively recent institution, and has become a symbol of government waste. It's been frequently pilloried and described as an instrument of cronyism, a way to reward loyal party workers who did not get elected to the larger national assembly. Around half the senators are directly appointed by the president.

Congress also voted to abolish the office of vice president, establish in 2009 by then-President Abdoulaye Wade, the BBC reports. It has not ever been occupied.
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Cletus77(m): 10:21pm On Apr 25, 2019
I dunno what is so special about Bicameral legislature apart from wasting of time on bills

1 Like

Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Blue3k(m): 10:37pm On Apr 25, 2019
Cletus77:
I dunno what is so special about Bicameral legislature apart from wasting of time on bills

Im America it was devised to give equal power to small and large states. An equal number of houses in senate benefit small states. The house of representatives is based on population so large states get more votes. I assume other countries copied America for same reason.
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by adebayo10977(m): 10:37pm On Apr 25, 2019
We should embrace this kind of move also by reducing the so congested money suckers in the two chambers....
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Cletus77(m): 10:43pm On Apr 25, 2019
Blue3k:

Im America it was devised to give equal power to small and large states. An equal number of houses in senate benefit small states. The house of representatives is based on population so large states get more votes. I assume other countries copied America for same reason.

If the house of reps were meant to give larger states more votes den I don't see the basis of the equality in the Senate if the large state can override a small state's votes
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Blue3k(m): 10:46pm On Apr 25, 2019
Cletus77:

If the house of reps were meant to give larger states more votes den I don't see the basis of the equality in the Senate if the large state can override a small state's votes

You need both house to pass a law. Even if larger states pass bill in house if reps it can fail in the senate. The bigger states aren't overring smaller states.
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Cletus77(m): 11:01pm On Apr 25, 2019
Blue3k:

You need both house to pass a law. Even if larger states pass bill in house if reps it can fail in the senate. The bigger states aren't overring smaller states.

My question is..why not just allow only one chamber(ie Senate) so to avoid unnecessary complications?
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Banmeallday: 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2019
Very good Senegal, we need to do away with Senate that is filled with rogues likeTheo Orji/Orji Kalu thieves, as well as governors that are touts, and have 4 regional governments like we had in the 60s, where much of the development we see in this zoo had actually occurred with less corruption..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Blue3k(m): 11:12pm On Apr 25, 2019
Cletus77:

My question is..why not just allow only one chamber(ie Senate) so to avoid unnecessary complications?

You're right things would move faster. It works for New Zealand. The reason 2 houses are good is to check excesses of the other.

2 Likes

Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by ChristianNorth: 11:20pm On Apr 25, 2019
Cletus77:

Try to imagine what would have happened to American government, if the congress is made up of only the Senate or Reps?

They check the excesses of each other.

1 Like

Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Cletus77(m): 12:04am On Apr 26, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Try to imagine what would have happened to American government, if the congress is made up of only the Senate or Reps?

They check the excesses of each other.
Ehn! Now am seeing valid responds
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by Cletus77(m): 12:06am On Apr 26, 2019
Blue3k:

You're right things would move faster. It works for New Zealand. The reason 2 houses are good is to check excesses of the other.

Now you're talking
Thanks anyways
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by PlayerMeji: 2:20pm On Apr 26, 2019
Forward thinking government

It is easy to have the two tiers of lawmakers in a buoyant economy.

When you are having surplus you can afford the two systems but when you are in recession it 's best you go with only one tier.

All these talks about checks and balances, valid as they are, aren't the measures for checks in a government.
Re: Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money by panafrican(m): 3:57am On Apr 27, 2019
That was long time ago during Macky' s first term.
He recently decided to get rid of the office of prime minister.

(1) (Reply)

Americans Call For The Arrest Of Bill Gates Over Coronavirus / No One Should Interfere With Protest, Soldiers Warn / Video of USA F-35 Fighter Plane Crashes During Landing Texas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.