Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks (38149 Views)

Toyosi Was "Wrongfully Restrained" by the Suspects - Police Release Statement / N15m Ransom: One Bandit Released In Exchange For 27 Kaduna Students / 4 Osun Students Imprisoned For Beating A Hooker Who Refused Unprotected Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by PHIPEX(m): 2:38pm On Apr 27, 2019
So many have been killed for a crime they know nothing about.

3 Likes

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by HenryInno1(m): 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2019
this Man Should Compensated
Atleast 27million For The 27 yrs he wasted In Prison without committing any Crime

2 Likes

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by XklusivGistBlog(m): 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2019
tactius:

Read the story...the inlaws lied against him, and procurred witnesses to lie against him.

Also, any police investigation is as good as the witnesses...

Las las...in America...there have been cases of wrongfully convicted prisoners in jail for longer than this guy.

And they were compensated. But this guy is on his own
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 27, 2019
Tending:

SEUN THE IDIOT AND MODERATORS. FOOLISH SET OF PEOPLE. Y ALLOWED THIS ON PUBLIC FORUM.

SER. HIGHEST THAT CAN HAPPEN, YOU REMOVE ME FROM NAIRALAND.
Just ignore it, pretend you didn't see it and move on to the next comments, tongue
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 27, 2019
XklusivGistBlog:

And they were compensated. But this guy is on his own
Yep! he is on his own, Infact. if he files for compensations they might put him in prison Again For Another false Accusations grin

Nigeria is a shithole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 27, 2019
HenryInno1:
this Man Should Compensated
Atleast 27million For The 27 yrs he wasted In Prison without committing any Crime
who should compensate him? Buhari? or the corrupt system that failed him in the first place?
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by haryorbarmie83(m): 2:48pm On Apr 27, 2019
I thank God on your behalf, me and my family will never witness such predicament IJMN.
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by PotatoSalad(m): 2:50pm On Apr 27, 2019
nonxo007:
The Legal system in Nigeria is trash, and it reminds me of an experience I had with this guy who was wrongly arrested and sent to jail. I was on vacation one day and decided to walk into a high court just to hear the proceedings. On that faithful day there was this young man who was in chains in court. During the break this young man beckoned on me to please come, I was shocked. But then I asked the police officer around if I may, he agreed. This young man pleaded with me to please help him get something to eat, even if its just biscuit, that he has been in jail for long and hasn't eaten for days. I bought him a bunch of banana with pure water. This guy shared this bunch of banana with other accused in court there.
When it was his turn to face the court, this guy didn't have a lawyer because he couldn't afford one.
Now what was he accused of? His story: he lived in a neighborhood and had a little misunderstanding with some brothers, few weeks after the misunderstanding these brothers house was robbed and there property and belonging taken away. Next day they called the police to arrest this guy. On what ground?
1. They had a misunderstanding
2. He dresses any how
3. He has no job
4. He was poor

And the dumb police men arrest this young man. I was really bitter when this guy asked to defend himself. He wept and wept that he was innocent and the accusers have no evidence to label him the criminal, but all these fell on deaf ears.
This guy has been in jail for over 1year and 6months as at then.
The judge just adjourned the case for another 2months and the guy has to remain in jail
That day I gave up on the Nigerian judicial system.
Damn
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Larryslim(m): 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2019
WinningSun:

it happened in almighty USA too so don't fret
So because it happened in the USA too, we shouldn't talk about it?
You're a big fool!
Typical example of a deluded black man, something happened in your country and instead of condemning the Judicial system, and the Nigeria police, You said it happened in the USA too.
I hope and pray this ordeal happens to you too one day, then we'll say it happened in the states.
Smh!

1 Like

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Amuocha: 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2019
God's anger will visit our leaders soon. angry

1 Like

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Reelmii: 2:52pm On Apr 27, 2019
survival of the fittest

only God can do this

I hope many innocent inmates will be favoured like this too
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by shogsman(m): 2:52pm On Apr 27, 2019
This Man is entitled to millions in compensation, he should sue the legal system if they refuse to pay him
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by TheFacelessMan: 2:57pm On Apr 27, 2019
embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by formular2002(m): 2:57pm On Apr 27, 2019
And above all, kudos to him for all the degrees he acquired. I congratulate him and since he has no hatred for his accusers, he will enjoy eternal peace.
God is the only one that can compensate him.

1 Like

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by segun18(m): 3:01pm On Apr 27, 2019
My God! This is heartbreaking!
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Athena4: 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2019
WinningSun:

it happened in almighty USA too so don't fret
Haba ,because it happens in almighty USA, It's not worth fretting over? nawa for una logic Sha.

1 Like

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Athena4: 3:08pm On Apr 27, 2019
TheFacelessMan:
I am not surprised at the comments I read here.

Nigerians, PLEASE always use your heads.

The chances of this guy being guilty or innocent = 50/50%.

I have seen that 100% of the comments are siding him. Let me ask, if he was guilty, do you think he would say

" I am guilty, take me back to prison" ?

THIS IS MY TAKE : I hope he is innocent, if he is.....this was a terrible injustice. If he is guilty.....he got off lightly for taking a life.

I am just a little shocked at the gullibility here. He is innocent...simply because he said so! WOW! shocked
Yen Yen Yen.Why not go and re-investigate his case yourself and come and report your findings?
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 27, 2019
Sometimes you are wrongly accused wrongfully mistreated and all but one day you’ll be able to walk confidently without the bitterness or vengeance spirit
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by pastorcyrus(m): 3:21pm On Apr 27, 2019
etcsines:
@titiloyeblog.com

Last week, Clinton Kalu, a native of Ndinwafor in Okigwe Local Government Area of Imo State, walked out from the Port Harcourt Maximum Prison where he had spent 27 years of his life for a crime he didn't commit.

He was roped into a murder case in April 1992 by some undisclosed persons while trying to resolve a dispute involving his in-laws. That marked the beginning of his journey in ‘hell’.

His trial at the tribunal and later at a High Court and his eventual detention happened so fast that when he found himself in prison over an offense he did not commit, he was livid with anger but later accepted his fate.

Recalling how he was sentenced to death by hanging or firing squad, Kalu in an interview with Punch said, “Twenty-seven years ago, some people were accused of stealing generating a plant and fluorescent tubes.

He cautioned that with the Supreme Court declaring him innocent, it would be wrong for anybody to tag him an ex-convict.

While in incarceration, Kalu lost his mother; and coupled with the fact that he was not married and had no immediate family (children), he struggled to fight loneliness even though his relatives, who also believed he was incapable of hurting anybody, let alone killing a person, visited him in prison from time to time.

Asked if he would avenge the injustice done to him, Kalu explained that he had been a changed man after gaining knowledge about the ways of Christ, adding that vengeance was not in his thoughts. He pointed out that though he felt insulted and humiliated by the court verdict, which sentenced him to death, he later realized while in prison that his tribulation was to serve a purpose.

On what the future holds for him, Kalu, who said he was diabetic and fed himself throughout the 27 years he stayed in prison, stated that he could take to politics or continue with his guidance and counseling job, which he was doing while behind bars. To cater for himself due to his failing health, the 56-year-old said he had to sell some of his personal belongings, adding that when funds were no longer there, the church took over his feeding. He pointed out that his experience in prison had taught him that anybody could find themselves in jail due to circumstances beyond their control.

According to him, life in a Nigerian prison will not reform most inmates because of the hardship inside there. On what his being in prison for almost three decades had denied him, Kalu lamented that he may not be able to know the whereabouts of most of his properties and maintained that he would have built more houses and acquired more properties if he were not in prison.

He said he was filled with joy when on April 5, 2019, the Supreme Court pronounced him not guilty of the charge against him, insisting that the judgment had vindicated him. “I was overwhelmed with joy on the day I was released from prison having spent 27 years there without committing a crime. Up till this moment, I feel like a newly born baby. God gave me another chance to experience His greatness again. I was happy doing that for free; nobody paid me for it. The church helped me to sponsor seminars that were organized in prison. I read the law before I went to prison,” he said.

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/04/i-feel-like-new-born-baby-56-year-old.html

You got all these degrees while in prison, hmm, the prison favoured you somehow my brother.
Above all, you are a winner

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by TheFacelessMan: 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2019
Athena4:
Yen Yen Yen.Why not go and re-investigate his case yourself and come and report your findings?

1 Like

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by luluman: 3:39pm On Apr 27, 2019
donvicky2007:
He should sue does that put him behind bar for 27 years.
You should be sued for your Enlgish
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by 4Mea: 3:59pm On Apr 27, 2019
Groovenaija360:
I STILL BLAME BUHARI FOR THIS undecided
wen we say the gods are not to be blame we were referring to buhari grin
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by datigbogirl: 4:02pm On Apr 27, 2019
nonxo007:
The Legal system in Nigeria is trash, and it reminds me of an experience I had with this guy who was wrongly arrested and sent to jail. I was on vacation one day and decided to walk into a high court just to hear the proceedings. On that faithful day there was this young man who was in chains in court. During the break this young man beckoned on me to please come, I was shocked. But then I asked the police officer around if I may, he agreed. This young man pleaded with me to please help him get something to eat, even if its just biscuit, that he has been in jail for long and hasn't eaten for days. I bought him a bunch of banana with pure water. This guy shared this bunch of banana with other accused in court there.
When it was his turn to face the court, this guy didn't have a lawyer because he couldn't afford one.
Now what was he accused of? His story: he lived in a neighborhood and had a little misunderstanding with some brothers, few weeks after the misunderstanding these brothers house was robbed and there property and belonging taken away. Next day they called the police to arrest this guy. On what ground?
2. He dresses any how
3. He has no job
4. He was poor

And the dumb police men arrest this young man. I was really bitter when this guy asked to defend himself. He wept and wept that he was innocent and the accusers have no evidence to label him the criminal, but all these fell on deaf ears.
The judge just adjourned the case for another 2months and the guy has to remain in jail

I was jejely and foolishly talking about the spate of Nigerian youths and how most politicians have turned our youths to politics thugs and gangsters. I was also foolishly opening my big mouth about how there was no God and most religious folks will even use that God to defend their reason for destroying you with no just cause.

Almost getting to the end our journey in the car, one man just began asking my details and what I do for a living. He said he was going to report me to my state ministry and ensure I lose my job for insulting the state governor. Mind you I intentionally never even mentioned the governor's name nor insult the state 2ruout our journey. I ensured speaking with wisdom and infact I personally believe the governor of that particular state had done more than enough for the state, but due to shortage and paucity of funds, he couldn't do much. Yet because I insulted his God, by refuting his non-existence, he defended his God by lying blatantly on me to the extent even the person I was having an interesting debate with from the same state defended me, that I spoke no ill word towards the governor..

When I saw his plan, I just began to apologize for something I NEVER did because I was in a strange land with pure hatred for people of my state of origin as the Customs people always ask for people's identity while on the road and had unintentionally revealed where I'm from during the journey.

Since then, I feared all this religious folks and have vowed NEVER to help emancipate anyone from his self-induced mental slavery.

They can goan die for all I care.

Even everyone just began apologizing to this man for my sake oh cos they knew I never said anything of such and my humility despite refuting his God and him lying against me moved them to stand in for me I believe.

It is well.
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by tfelicityk(m): 4:20pm On Apr 27, 2019
Don't seize praising God...
He kept you alive for a purpose...
Don't get angry if you are called ex-convict...
Many are ex-convict but they held and some are still holding political post.
Some are even clergyman in some places of worship.

Stay away from another trouble
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Babprosper20(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2019
freeDR:
Where's Don Vito Corleone? We need him for vengeance.

Only few understand wat u just said bro...

Godfather
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by AngelicBeing: 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2019
Apus:
I hate Nigeria!

Wrongfully imprisoned and it took 27years to discover he was innocent. I'ld rather die than spend half the life expectancy age of some people in a useless Nigerian prison.

It is well.

l concur with you, if this incident happened in the US or anywhere in the western world, these guy will sue the state and he will be an instant millionaire for been wrongfully convicted and jailed but in Nigeria, l don't think that he will get anything but he deserves some kind of compensation from the Nigerian government angry

1 Like

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Empiree: 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2019
Apus:
I hate Nigeria!

Wrongfully imprisoned and it took 27years to discover he was innocent. I'ld rather die than spend half the life expectancy age of some people in a useless Nigerian prison.

It is well.

This happens in advanced countries a whole lot. There are people jailed for 30, 40yrs for crime they did not commit. The right thing to do for him is HUGE COMPENSATION. Hating Nigeria because of this is your waste of time.
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by phonemakemoney: 4:37pm On Apr 27, 2019
Another Nelson Mandela of his people, he should still be grateful for perhaps if he was not behind bars he could have died. For the family of the murdered person would have tried other ways to kill him thinking he was the murderer.
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by Pacyrus(m): 4:37pm On Apr 27, 2019
To God be the glory.
Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by 5oyad: 4:38pm On Apr 27, 2019
TheFacelessMan:
I am not surprised at the comments I read here.

Nigerians, PLEASE always use your heads.

The chances of this guy being guilty or innocent = 50/50%.

I have seen that 100% of the comments are siding him. Let me ask, if he was guilty, do you think he would say

" I am guilty, take me back to prison" ?

THIS IS MY TAKE : I hope he is innocent, if he is.....this was a terrible injustice. If he is guilty.....he got off lightly for taking a life.

I am just a little shocked at the gullibility here. He is innocent...simply because he said so! WOW! shocked

NO Mr smart, he is innocent because the Supreme Court said so!!!

2 Likes

Re: Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks by EmperorGodswill: 4:48pm On Apr 27, 2019
nonxo007:
2. He dresses any how
3. He has no job
4. He was poor

serious reformation is needed in dat sector
imagin dis patrotic Nigerian languishin in jail 4 a crime he never commited
nd u tink it wil be wel wit his complainant
Noo it wount nd doesnt wrk dat way
d agony dy infiltrited on d innocent one

karma never fel to disapoint

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide In Abuja By Hanging On A Tree (Graphic Photo) / Sex Workers Cut Charges In Calabar, Tempt Men / CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi Rects To Video Of Police Officers Drinking Alcohol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.