Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,497 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? (386 Views)

Kumuyi To Ushers: Stop Imposing Persistent Head Covering On Ladies, Causes Odour / Is The Trinity Logically Coherent In Light Of Biblical Teachings? / History Of Copernicus: Man Who Asserted Heliocentric Fact Against Biblical Error (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2019
1 Corinthians 11 and head covering in the Bible

1 Corinthians 11 :3-13
3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

What is NOT the head covering in the Bible
In 1 Corinthians 11:3-15, Paul states that a woman ought to cover her head when praying or prophesying, and that men are not to. Paul speaks of a physical head covering. The head covering is not the woman’s hair as some suppose. 1 Corinthians 11:5 says that for a woman to have her head uncovered is just as if she were shaved. It was just as bad as, not identical with. Verse 10 speaks of a physical sign or symbol of authority on her head. Also this head covering was specifically for when she was praying or prophesying. It is clearly something that is removable, and thus cannot refer to her hair. It has to refer to some physical head covering.

I was invited to a church and almost all the women don't have head covering shocked
Please let's discuss:

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 28, 2019
Lalasticlala
Mynd44 please let's discuss this cool
Re: Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? by Sam2310(m): 9:04am On Apr 28, 2019
Good morning breathen, Please is there anywhere in the bible that teaches Christian to collect money for the first sale of the day?
I mean like u want to buy something credit and the seller will say something like "Na u be the first person of the day, i can't sell credit first, wait small make i collect money for other person hand then i sale the credit to u"
Note:Pordon me for be off topic
Re: Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? by UceeGod: 12:31pm On Apr 28, 2019
This issue has been cleared several times on this platform.
If you must understand the Bible, don't pick out just one verse or chapter out of a whole book. Study through the whole book of Corinthians, try to understand the geographical, time and cultural barriers between us and Paul's recipient.
Head covering by women in Jewish culture was a way the women honour their husbands, fathers and other men they come across. Paul was writing the Corinthians to correct a lot of anomalies and misbehaviour in the church, especially by the women.
I don't believe Paul was making a universal commandment for all women in all geographical locations, cultures and at all times.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Women Pray Without Head Covering Against Biblical Teachings? by alBHAGDADI: 1:36pm On Apr 28, 2019
The OP is in error. The covering the Bible is talking about is not covering of clothes. It is simply HAIR.

1 Corinthians 11:15 King James Version (KJV)
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

So if a woman. refuses to have hair to cover her head, then it means it's the same as shaving it off

1 Corinthians 11:5-6 (KJV)
But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

So, clearly the covering spoken of is hair, not clothing material. Therefore, a woman can pray without using clothing material to cover head because her hair already covers her head.

As for men, it is a shame for them to have their head covered by their hair i.e have long hair.

1 Corinthians 11:14 (KJV)
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

1 Corinthians 11:7 (KJV)
For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

All these young boys wearing dreadlocks and braiding their hair like women don't know how shameful it is.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Price To Sell A Script / Pastor's Prophecy Made Me Further Confused? / Facing Terminal Cancer, Polish Man Ordained Priest In Hospital Bed (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.