Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? (1619 Views)

More Pics Of Our ODO FESTIVAL Held A Day Before Yesterday / Let All Nigerians Condemn This Shameful British Act / Baby Shower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by omogenaija(f): 3:12am On May 02, 2007
Here it is, tomorrow @ school we are having an in class baby shower for my friend,  she is 16. i brought her a gift but i had to hide the gift from my parents b/c they are old school nigerians. so what i want to know is should we have a babyshower for the 16 year old ? or is the baby shower promoting teenage pregnancy ? do your culture affect your views on this ?

i'm not promoting teenage pregnancy

A baby shower is a party in which expectant parents receive gifts for their expected child. By convention, a baby shower is intended to help parents get items that they need for their baby, such as baby clothes. It is a fairly recent tradition in the United States and in other cultures influenced by American culture or media.
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by spoilt(f): 4:38am On May 06, 2007
she's already pregnant and we cant unring a bell. grin
the deed is done. experience is the best teacher. when a teenager refuses to heed her parents to wait to have sex, when she becomes pregnant, its like a clap of thunder and the if- i -had-knowns start piling up in her mind. im sure she has learnt her lesson.

a baby shower is to help with stuff for a new born baby and she's having one .so yes you can have a baby shower for her. some may argue that you give her the gifts quietly and not make a fancy party out of it. undecided
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by Nobody: 9:28am On May 06, 2007
the deed is done so by all means celebrate her newfound status for her.

looking for ward to ur own sha grin grin
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by Ikomi(m): 2:24pm On May 06, 2007
A baby shower she should and would have, dat will go a long way in helping the baby.
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by iice(f): 5:36pm On May 08, 2007
Condemn why?  U helping with the kid stuffs, saves her money, the struggle and process is ultimately the mother's journey to travel
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by osegwu(m): 5:51pm On May 08, 2007
go ahead and give more gifts.

She needs it I thought they said it is the in thing?

Getting pregnant?
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by chiogo(f): 9:18pm On May 08, 2007
Lol, that is so funny! I've seen some pregnant kids at school but they're not my friends nor in d same grade as me but i never heard of anyone havin' a baby shower for them. I think y'all are wrong in throwin' her a baby shower. Even if she's ur friend, u can congratulate her in private but not make it a public one. My school does not support such things like havin' a daycare in d school for students who have kids even though some other schools do. Doin' such things is like encouragin' them to go out there and be gettin' pregnant. It's up to u though. but i wouldn't buy no damn gift for no damn baby shower. This is not even about culture, it's about values, principles and morals. If i know someone like that ,i'll still say hi to her, u know but not buyin' her a gift. hell, no!. Anywayz, this ain't about me. But u know the right thing.
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by IBDat(m): 12:21am On May 30, 2007
I have to 2nd Chiogo on this point!
Yes i understand and can appreciate the whole concept of throwing a baby shower but at school, in class 4 a 16 year old? Hell NO!
It is bad enough that there are increasing nos of baby mothers out there and some actually do have the kids as they can't afford abortion fees and only throw away or dump the baby after. A baby shower is not what she needs but counselling and help once the baby is born.
What did the parents have to say about it? What of her parents, do they know?
You say it's not promoting teenage pregnancy, but i say it is. The clothes donated will only last for so long, what then?
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by OmoEko1(f): 8:22pm On Jun 03, 2007
chiogo:

Lol, that is so funny! I've seen some pregnant kids at school but they're not my friends nor in d same grade as me but i never heard of anyone havin' a baby shower for them. I think y'all are wrong in throwin' her a baby shower. Even if she's your friend, u can congratulate her in private but not make it a public one. My school does not support such things like havin' a daycare in d school for students who have kids even though some other schools do. Doin' such things is like encouragin' them to go out there and be gettin' pregnant. It's up to u though. but i wouldn't buy no damn gift for no damn baby shower. This is not even about culture, it's about values, principles and morals. If i know someone like that ,i'll still say hi to her, u know but not buyin' her a gift. hell, no!. Anywayz, this ain't about me. But u know the right thing.
Great point you got there, but I hope some day this Black American Kids will start thinking like you.

All this pregnant kids needs to be kicked out of school because it's a shame to the communities, and I don't know why board of education isn't doing anything about it.

This kids needs to be taught a lesson because I feel like they are encouraging them by having a daycare in school.

My sister knows better than making friends with those type of girl ( teen mothers) because I trust my parents cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by BlackMamba(m): 5:08pm On Jun 07, 2007
omogenaija:
what i want to know is should we have a babyshower for the 16 year old ? or is the baby shower promoting teenage pregnancy ? do your culture affect your views on this ?
It is a fairly recent tradition in the United States and in other cultures influenced by American culture or media.

You can show some love to a stray classmate who didn't get her priorities right, but definitely not in a school sopposed to mold young minds into independent prosperous adults. Teen pregnancy is a retrogressive ghetto culture, even in the US.
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by mamaput(f): 8:06pm On Jun 07, 2007
Great point you got there, but I hope some day this Black American Kids will start thinking like you.

All this pregnant kids needs to be kicked out of school because it's a shame to the communities, and I don't know why board of education isn't doing anything about it.

This kids needs to be taught a lesson because I feel like they are encouraging them by having a daycare in school.

My sister knows better than making friends with those type of girl ( teen mothers) because I trust my parents

So you are saying a 16 year old girl should be punished for the rest of her life for one mistake.
At the same time the father of the baby is still going to school.
I am very happy that there are schools that Help there is a big difference between helping and encouraging.
With the Baba W the class have showen that the stand by the mother. She needs all the love she can get.
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by chiogo(f): 10:54pm On Jun 07, 2007
mamaput:

So you are saying a 16 year old girl should be punished for the rest of her life for one mistake.
At the same time the father of the baby is still going to school.
I am very happy that there are schools that Help there is a big difference between helping and encouraging.
With the Baba W the class have showen that the stand by the mother. She needs all the love she can get.
lol, @mamaput. u got it all wrong. Don't get me wrong, they can, but i wldn't and it shld def. not be in the school bulidin'. what punishment is it in not throwin' u a baby shower. You shldn't even expect one in d first place. yeah, i agree with d love thing u mentioned but still, she's 16. just 'cause she's 16 doesn't mean she's mature.yes, she's a mother. that doesn't mean she can handle bein' it, ok?. Puttin' a daycare in a high school is encouragin'  teenage pregnancy not helpin' 'cause u might not know it but a lot of teenagers are so naive. even at 17 and up. The way they talk u'd think they were new-born babies. puttin' a daycare for them is puttin' d idea of havin' a baby in their heads. A lot of teens only listen to what they hear. Like if your mother tells u sex is bad for u and that u can't handle it if u get pregnant at a young age and that u won't be able to finish school, naturally u'd believe her. But then, when u come to school and see that they got a daycare ready for u. u gon' be like "oh, what d hell. am good to go" and u gon' go ahead and have that sex, afterall, the daycare is there for u and u'll think "what d hell do people mean when they say u can't go to school if your pregnant?". u'll think that's bull and that u're all set which is wrong. so, it is encouragin' not helpin'. without it, some girls might never even think of sex in d first place.
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by mamaput(f): 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2007
The last thing a girl thinks of when having sex is the day care center.
We do not have that in germany(daycare center in school)
But we do have mother and baby homes for underaged mothers.
The homes are there to prepare the young mothers on the life out there .
The also have strict laws(when to be home ,visiting hours etc)
I do not see any girl in her right mind at 16 wanting to have a baby.
Something must be very wrong there(if it was not a mistake)
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by MP007(m): 8:55am On Jun 26, 2007
baby shower for a sixteen year old? are u kidding me, what where yall discussing? how it happned? , do guyz attend baby showers? dont really know cos a lady invited me to hers and i know really know, helppppppppppp!
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by omogenaija(f): 8:56am On Jun 26, 2007
we were talking about baby gifts and wat she was gonna name her baby undecided
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by mddude(m): 9:05am On Jun 26, 2007
Buy her a birth control patch, IUD or birth control pills - the biss needs to learn that making baby is a big responsibility
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by omogenaija(f): 9:07am On Jun 26, 2007
she knows undecided
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by MP007(m): 9:10am On Jun 26, 2007
why wouldnt she know, she got pregnant at 16 , duh undecided

good morning byeee!
Re: we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? by lindabong(f): 10:09am On Aug 07, 2008
How can you people take teen pregnancy so lightly?
Why does Hollywood and everyone else try to glamourize teen pregnancy?
Stop ignoring the facts and deal with the real issue head on so that we can stop this epidemic!
I understand yeah you bleeped some dude and yeah you got pregant and whatnot, but instead of trying to take the easy road out, you should at least try to take some responsibilty for your actions.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Emir Of Lagos State. / Learning Yoruba Games / List Of Surviving Creole Languages Spoken By African-americans Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.