Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award (10979 Views)

Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World / Bbc 2018 International Playwriting Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by googi: 5:41pm On May 02, 2019
Individual achievement in a foreign country can never take us anywhere.

Pray for another first in Africa like the 60s and first in the world so that blacks can be respected everywhere.
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by GYBABA(m): 6:02pm On May 02, 2019
Bossjakande:
if his not Yoruba will u said DAT.

Why not? You think I'm as tribal as you are or you think I'm not a Yoruba person? So I shouldn't be happy or congratulate him if he's from another tribe? People like you are one of Nigeria's problems. Fucking tribalist! SMH! Old somebody that should be correcting me if I'm the one spewing tribalist trash is the one evening looking for tribal wahala as if disunity pays them a bunch.

2 Likes

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by Timmypromise(m): 6:09pm On May 02, 2019
No Igbo amaka undecided undecidedFlations avoiding this thread grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by makinson2865: 6:09pm On May 02, 2019
Ipob will be like:this dude must be a mixture of yoruba and igbo race.....lol...

2 Likes

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by makinson2865: 6:14pm On May 02, 2019
Ipob will be like:this dude must be a mixture of yoruba and igbo race which contribute to his exploits .....lol...

On a more serious note,if that dude is from east,this page
Would have bin flooded with igbo amaka,and all other taunting and daunting of a tin.

Yoruba is always
Known for greatness and I'm proud to be one of them.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by bahdpersona(m): 6:29pm On May 02, 2019
We don't holler, we achieve silently, that's the main thing that distinguishes yorubas from wailers from east

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by Bossjakande: 6:35pm On May 02, 2019
GYBABA:

Why not? You think I'm as tribal as you are or you think I'm not a Yoruba person? So I shouldn't be happy or congratulate him if he's from another tribe? People like you are one of Nigeria's problems. Fucking tribalist! SMH! Old somebody that should be correcting me if I'm the one spewing tribalist trash is the one evening looking for tribal wahala as if disunity pays them a bunch.
say ur point wit respect not insult
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by GYBABA(m): 6:40pm On May 02, 2019
Bossjakande:
say ur point wit respect not insult

Sorry BossJ! Just that when I detect any tribal nonsense I go on full rampage.

1 Like

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by RemiOAjayi: 7:07pm On May 02, 2019
LazyGold:
Since Africa’s first Nobel Prize for Literature winner, Professor Wole Soyinka, blazed the trail in 1986 by taking home that prestigious prize, the seed sown has spawned several other acorns scattered all over the land.

Nigerian writers in different genres of literature have been persistently pushing the limits of creative writing.

Ben Okri, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor and several other young writers from Nigeria have shown through their works that another Nobel Prize may just be around the bend.

Asiyanbi is the writer and the brain behind the story of ‘Chief Daddy’ that was filmed by Niyi Akinmolayan and produced by EbonyLife Film.

He won his third award in play-writing from BBC International Play-writing Competition shortly after the cinema release of ‘Chief Daddy.’

The trained Biochemist and graduate of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, ended 2018 on a high by winning the Georgi Markov prize for the most promising script, in the BBC International Play-writing Competition.

EbonyLive TV’s premiere of ‘Chief Daddy’ drew over 40 movie stars.

The BBC play-writing prize is in honour of the BBC World Service journalist and writer, Georgi Markov, who championed freedom of creative expression.

According to the BBC, Bode’s interest in writing grew after he was selected as one of the winners in the now defunct BBC African Performance radio drama series.

In 2005, he won the BBC Africa Performance Play-writing competition with the play ‘Big Dialed, and his radio play, ‘Shattered’ won the 2011 BBC African performance play-writing competition.

Born in Osogbo, Osun State, Bode Asiyanbi studied at the Obafemi Awololwo University and Lancaster University, United Kingdom.

He was for many years writer and editor for BBC Media Action on its groundbreaking radio and television drama series, Story Story and Wetin Dey, as well as for the ‘Save the Children’ developmental documentary.

He presently works with various M-Net African Magic’s comedy and drama series as a writer and story editor.

His plays have also been broadcast on the BBC World Service.

Asiyanbi’s short stories have appeared in Munyori Literary Journal, Kalahari Review, Wobbled Words Anthology, and Per Contra.

His stage play ‘Shattered’ was performed at the 2013 British Council Lagos Theatre Festival, and his short story, ‘The Diagnosis’ was a winning entry for the British Council Lagos Theatre Festival 2014.

His poems also featured in the anthology of contemporary African poetry, ‘A Thousand Voices Rising’.

Asiyanbi’s plays ‘The Wait’ and ‘One Chance!’ won the British Council LTF 2016 and 2017 Playwriting Prize, and his poems also featured in the anthology of contemporary African poetry, A Thousand Voices Rising.

Bode describes himself as “a wandering troubadour from a long line of village weavers and palace bards; spinning coloured yarns, seeking out lost songs and singing them out from rooftops.”

He is interested in exploring trauma, identity and the place of memory in history.

www.tribuneonlineng.com/193753/amp/

Congratulations to the young man! If we hold on to the treasure God has blessed us with , we would amaze the world, Yoruba is sent with art and literally gifts to the world as the white are blessed with science. The greatest mistake we would make is to deny our kids the privilege of learning our mother's tongue

3 Likes

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:18pm On May 02, 2019
Mace0lane:
Yoruba amaka !
Silently contributing it quota in making Nigeria great without noise not chest beating.

Kudos Bode

Three igbos was also mentioned amoung the writers making Nigeria proud. Incase u don't see it, read well ok
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:20pm On May 02, 2019
Mace0lane:
Yoruba amaka !
Silently contributing it quota in making Nigeria great without noise not chest beating.

Kudos Bode

Read this
Nigerian writers in different genres of literature have been persistently pushing the limits of creative writing.

Ben Okri, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor and several other young writers from Nigeria have shown through their works that another Nobel Prize may just be around the bend.

Igbo amaka

1 Like

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:21pm On May 02, 2019
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (/ˌtʃɪmɑːˈmɑːndə əŋˈɡoʊzi əˈdiːtʃeɪ/ (listen);[note 1] born 15 September 1977) is a Nigerian novelist, writer of short stories, and nonfiction.[3] She has written the novels Purple Hibiscus (2003), Half of a Yellow Sun (2006), and Americanah (2013), the short story collection The Thing Around Your Neck (2009), and the book-length essay We Should All Be Feminists (2014).
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:24pm On May 02, 2019
magazine in 2014
Year Award Work Result
2002 Caine Prize for African Writing[61] "You in America" Nominated[A]
Commonwealth Short Story Competition "The Tree in Grandma's Garden" Nominated[B]
BBCmeasuring Competition "That Harmattan Morning" Won[C]
2002/2003 David T. Wong International Short Story Prize (PEN American Center Award) "Half of a Yellow Sun Won
2003 O. Henry Prize "The American Embassy" Won
2004 Hurston-Wright Legacy Award: Best Debut Fiction Category Purple Hibiscus Won
Orange Prize Nominated[A]
Booker Prize Nominated[D]
Young Adult Library Services Association Best Books for Young Adults Award Nominated
2004/2005 John Llewellyn Rhys Prize Nominated[A]
2005 Commonwealth Writers' Prize: Best First Book (Africa) Won
Commonwealth Writers' Prize: Best First Book (overall) Won
2006 National Book Critics Circle Award Half of a Yellow Sun Nominated
2007 British Book Awards: "Richard & Judy Best Read of the Year" category Nominated
James Tait Black Memorial Prize Nominated
Commonwealth Writers' Prize: Best Book (Africa) Nominated[A]
Anisfield-Wolf Book Award: Fiction category Won[C]
PEN Beyond Margins Award Won[C]
Orange Broadband Prize: Fiction category Won
2008 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award Nominated
Reader's Digest Author of the Year Award Won
Future Award, Nigeria: Young Person of the Year category[62] Won
MacArthur Foundation Genius Grant[63] Won
2009 International Nonino Prize[64] Won
Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award The Thing Around Your Neck Nominated[D]
John Llewellyn Rhys Prize Nominated[A]
2010 Commonwealth Writers' Prize: Best Book (Africa) Nominated[A]
Dayton Literary Peace Prize Nominated[B]
2011 This Day Awards: "New Champions for an Enduring Culture" category Nominated
2013 Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize: Fiction category Americanah Won
National Book Critics Circle Award: Fiction category[65][66][67] Won
2014 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction[68] Nominated[A]
Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction[69] Nominated[A]
MTV Africa Music Awards 2014: Personality of the Year[70] Nominated
2015 International Dublin Literary Award[71][72] Americanah Nominated[A]
Grammy Awards: Album of the Year [73] Beyoncé (as featured artist) Nominated
2018 PEN Pinter Prize[74][75]
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:26pm On May 02, 2019
Nnedi Okorafor (full name: Nnedimma Nkemdili Okorafor; previously known as Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu; translated from Igbo into English as "mother is good";[1] born April 8, 1974)[2] is a Nigerian-American writer of fantasy and science fiction for both children and adults. She is best known for Binti, Who Fears Death, Zahrah the Windseeker, and Akata Witch.
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:28pm On May 02, 2019
World Fantasy Award
Edit

Shortly after winning The World Fantasy Award in 2011, Okorafor published an essay "Lovecraft's racism & The World Fantasy Award statuette, with comments from China Miéville", in which she reflected upon her conflicting emotions on winning an award in the shape of a large silver bust of H.P. Lovecraft. Okorafor would later voice her support for Daniel José Older's 2014 petition[35] to replace the Lovecraft bust with one of Octavia Butler. In this piece, she acknowledges both the literary legacy of Lovecraft and his continued influence in the contemporary world of science fiction:

Do I want "The Howard" (the nickname for the World Fantasy Award statuette. Lovecraft's full name is "Howard Phillips Lovecraft"wink replaced with the head of some other great writer? Maybe. Maybe it's about that time. Maybe not. What I know I want is to face the history of this leg of literature rather than put it aside or bury it. If this is how some of the great minds of speculative fiction felt, then let's deal with that ... as opposed to never mention it or explain it away.[35]

Awards
Edit

2005 – The Strange Horizons Reader's Choice Award for Stephen King's Super-Duper Magical Negroes[24]
2007 – 2008 – Macmillan Writers' Prize for Africa for Long Juju Man[36]
2008 – Carl Brandon Parallax Award for The Shadow Speaker[37]
2008 – The Wole Soyinka Prize for Literature for Zahrah the Windseeker[38]
2012 – The 2012 Black Excellence Award for Outstanding Achievement in Literature (Fiction) for Zahrah the Windseeker[39]
2012 – Kindred Award for Who Fears Death[37]
2011 – The World Fantasy Award (Best Novel) for Who Fears Death[37]
2016 – The Nebula Award (Best Novella) for Binti[40]
2016 – Children's Africana Book Award for Best Book for Young Readers for Chicken in the Kitchen[41]
2016 – The Hugo Award for Best Novella for Binti[42]
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by ezegenigbonine: 7:29pm On May 02, 2019
So mind u afonjas, igbo amaka
Am proud of were I come from
Always making our tribe proud
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by safarigirl(f): 10:11pm On May 02, 2019
Chief Daddy was a trash movie.

Things like that should be cleared out of anyone's CV.....then again, maybe he wrote it well and then the execution was what made nonsense of his writing

2 Likes

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by MarieSucre(f): 10:52pm On May 02, 2019
Congratulations sir, the sky is your limit.
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by DerideGull(m): 11:49pm On May 02, 2019
LazyGold:
Since Africa’s first Nobel Prize for Literature winner, Professor Wole Soyinka, blazed the trail in 1986 by taking home that prestigious prize, the seed sown has spawned several other acorns scattered all over the land.

Asiyanbi is the writer and the brain behind the story of ‘Chief Daddy’ that was filmed by Niyi Akinmolayan and produced by EbonyLife Film.

He won his third award in play-writing from BBC International Play-writing Competition shortly after the cinema release of ‘Chief Daddy.’

The trained Biochemist and graduate of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, ended 2018 on a high by winning the Georgi Markov prize for the most promising script, in the BBC International Play-writing Competition.

EbonyLive TV’s premiere of ‘Chief Daddy’ drew over 40 movie stars.

The BBC play-writing prize is in honour of the BBC World Service journalist and writer, Georgi Markov, who championed freedom of creative expression.

According to the BBC, Bode’s interest in writing grew after he was selected as one of the winners in the now defunct BBC African Performance radio drama series.

In 2005, he won the BBC Africa Performance Play-writing competition with the play ‘Big Dialed, and his radio play, ‘Shattered’ won the 2011 BBC African performance play-writing competition.

Born in Osogbo, Osun State, Bode Asiyanbi studied at the Obafemi Awololwo University and Lancaster University, United Kingdom.

He was for many years writer and editor for BBC Media Action on its groundbreaking radio and television drama series, Story Story and Wetin Dey, as well as for the ‘Save the Children’ developmental documentary.

He presently works with various M-Net African Magic’s comedy and drama series as a writer and story editor.

His plays have also been broadcast on the BBC World Service.

Asiyanbi’s short stories have appeared in Munyori Literary Journal, Kalahari Review, Wobbled Words Anthology, and Per Contra.

His stage play ‘Shattered’ was performed at the 2013 British Council Lagos Theatre Festival, and his short story, ‘The Diagnosis’ was a winning entry for the British Council Lagos Theatre Festival 2014.

His poems also featured in the anthology of contemporary African poetry, ‘A Thousand Voices Rising’.

Asiyanbi’s plays ‘The Wait’ and ‘One Chance!’ won the British Council LTF 2016 and 2017 Playwriting Prize, and his poems also featured in the anthology of contemporary African poetry, A Thousand Voices Rising.

Bode describes himself as “a wandering troubadour from a long line of village weavers and palace bards; spinning coloured yarns, seeking out lost songs and singing them out from rooftops.”

He is interested in exploring trauma, identity and the place of memory in history.

www.tribuneonlineng.com/193753/amp/

Very, very incorrect.
Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by LazyGold(m): 2:26am On May 03, 2019
DerideGull:

Very, very incorrect.

It was correct

1 Like

Re: Bode Asiyanbi Wins BBC Play-Writing Award by Mace0lane: 4:06am On May 03, 2019
How is that my problem.
I am here to beat my chest for the winner not the nominees. Like I said earlier Yoruba Amaka !

I seriously don’t know what you are both wailing about, I see Igbos celebrate their achievements on NL everyday n if I can’t rejoice with them I simply shut it. Why your father will rather wail at the success of another man instead rejoicing or shutting up is beyond what I can comprehend.

ezegenigbonine:

Three igbos was also mentioned amoung the writers making Nigeria proud. Incase u don't see it, read well ok
ezegenigbonine:

Read this

Igbo amaka

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lucifer's Bride (18+) / Face Me I Face You: A 6-Month I.T Chronicles / A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.