Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,980 members, 7,814,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

The Many Uses Of Witch Hazel - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Many Uses Of Witch Hazel (354 Views)

This Fisherman Uses Fish To Catch Bigger Fish (pictures/video) / All Uses Of Coconut – From Root To Leaf / 10 Uses Of Bamboo You Should Know- Aroms Aigbehi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Many Uses Of Witch Hazel by atnerjennac24(f): 4:16am On May 02, 2019
Seems like every summer I sing the praises of witch hazel to my kids, but do they listen? Not so much. They have more important things to do than listen to yet another speech on herbs from their mom. Maybe they are tucking away that info in the backs of their minds for a day when they deem it needed. I can only hope. The daughter has taken my advice somewhat as I often see a bottle of witch hazel sitting out and a cotton pad in the trash. Like most teens, she gets acne fairly often. A swipe of witch hazel to a sweaty, oily face can do wonders.

You see, the leaves and bark in the witch hazel shrub are rich in tannins. Tannins are astringent, meaning they help to dry, tighten, and shrink. Great for an oily face! A bit of witch hazel on a cotton ball will suck up excess oil (sweat and dirt, too) while tightening and shrinking pores. It is also has anti-inflammatory properties so it helps to shrink the swelling of pimples. But that's not all this lovely herb can do....

Witch hazel is also used for:

• Reducing pain/control swelling of varicose veins
• speed healing of bruises
• shrinking of hemorrhoids
• removing the itch/burn of insect bites
• soothing sunburn
• tightening bags under the eyes
• reducing blood flow from a wound
• disinfecting cuts and scrapes

Brewing a strong tea of the herb, soak a clean cloth or cotton pad in the solution and then apply to the affected area several times a day. If you don't have any of the herb on hand, you can purchase witch hazel mixed with isopropyl alcohol from your local drug or grocery store and use that instead. Do not get this form of preparation into your eyes. Using a compress in this way on fresh bruises will speed healing time.

When used on sunburn, it will give temporary pain relief, but will also prevent peeling and flaking. With hemorrhoids or varicose veins, witch hazel shrinks the swelling and calms itch. It does the same for bug bites. And it's ability to shrink is also why it works well for bags under the eyes. Just remember not to get into your eyes.

Witch hazel also has a conditioning or tonic affect on your skin so, no need to worry about drying it out as some commercial products can. Ready to get some of this fabulous shrub yet? I am! smiley smiley

Read more: https://www.nairaland.com/atnerjennac24
Re: The Many Uses Of Witch Hazel by Kingpee2(m): 4:23am On May 02, 2019
We have Aje,Osho,ogbanje and emere,which one are you referring to?

(1) (Reply)

Pig And Poultry Farmers Around Anambra,delta, Enugu,imo / Red Hibiscus Flower (zobo) Of Export Quality Available. / Coping With Garden Pests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.