Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties (1884 Views)

Yoruba Ancestral Numbering System Discovered In The Torah / The Systematic Erosion Of The Yoruba Ancestral Lands And Identity / Alaafin Raises Alarm Over Assault On Yoruba Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by olaNL: 7:46pm On May 03, 2019
SCRIPT OF THE LETTER PUBLISHED IN THE NIGERIAN TRIBUNE ON THURSDAY, 2 MAY, 2019 PAGE 9

In recent time, I have been inundated with calls and even visits to my Palace on a recent Video Tape showing His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, the Ooni of Ife during the Aje Festival in Ile-Ife, Osun State. With all sense of modesty but candour, I cannot recall exactly the number of the video tapes that have been sent to me by well-meaning Yoruba elders and patriots.

(2) In the same vein, the traditional rulers have not been left out of this concern and legitimate worries. All across Yoruba speaking areas of Nigeria up to Kwara and Kogi states, the situation to say the least, has been breathless. Even the Yoruba in the Diaspora; Republics of Benin and Togo, Brazil, Cuba, Chile, Ecuador, United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada etc have also expressed indignation about the current issue.

(3) Initially, my reaction was to stand by my age long resolve, as the king and Head of Yorubaland, not to interfere in the running of the affairs of other Paramount rulers in Yorubaland of which the Ooni of Ife is one. But after listening thoroughly with meticulous assessment and analysis of the tape, I did not hesitate to come to the conclusion that the time for me to interfere was ripe and absolutely expedient less the cherished historical and cultural heritage of the Yoruba is wantonly dragged in the mud. My interference, therefore, is daintily anchored on the sanctity of Yoruba history, origin and custom which I am convinced the said video tape by Oba Enitan Ogunwusi did not observe.

(4) Yet, even in my response, one should be cautious enough against any inter ethnic hostility and malice within Nigerian context, especially between Yoruba and Igbo. But this should not be turned into historical fallacies. I doubt if any Igbo man familiar with the history of his origin will be happy with the fallacious claim that they originated from Obatala.

(5) Also I do not think the Igbo with a record of highly respected origin will feel comfortable after tracing their origin to ancient Israel with lineage to Eri, the fifth son of Gad who was the seventh son of Jacob, who was the youngest son of Isaac, son of Abraham. Eri, the son of Gad was said to have entered the present Egypt, journeying down Africa, crossing the Nile to Ethiopia (present day Sudan) and finally into the present day Enugwu Aguleri (for more details about this see: THE BOOK NIGERIA 2.O. CARAPACE PUBLISHERS NIGERIA LIMITED. Pg 46 ORIGIN OF THE IGBO: OBU GAD (HOUSE OF GAD) ANAMBRA STATE. Khartoum Street, Wuse, Zone 5, Abuja Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria or www.dayoadedayo.com). Certainly, the Igbo people who are proud of their origin will not feel comfortable with any pseudo history that will make them superior to Israel.

(6) I am not aware of any business relationship between the Yoruba and the Igbo until the 19th century, leading to the amalgamation of the Southern Protectorate and Northern Protectorate that resulted into Nigeria in 1914. In other words, we are related as fellows Nigerians who have been enjoying mutual relationship for each other. Culturally, linguistically, traditionally and historically, we are basically different. We have always striven to promote harmonious understanding in our diversities.

(7) AJE Coming back to the origin of Aje – Commerce, the cowry (Owoeyo) had been the Yoruba medium of exchange long before the Europeans came. Hence the decoration of Sekere drum with cowries in appreciation and honour of Aje deity it is to say the least, instructively abominable for anybody, no matter how highly placed to put any tribe above the Yoruba race as far as legitimate trading business is concerned. This is because Aje remains one of the early deities of the Yoruba whose imagery creation is the popular Sekere music played everywhere in Yorubaland.

(cool Alaafin Onisile 1738 – 1750: Alaafin Onisile was remarkable for his indomitable courage and lion-hearted spirit. He was moreover very artistic, and was said to have made seven silver doors to the entrances of his sleeping apartment. During his reign, the Sekere (Calabash) drum was ornamented, not only with cowries, but also with costly beads e.g. Iyun (Corals), Okun (Stone beads, Benin), Erinla (stripped yellow pipe beads) and Segi (blue pipe beads), strung with silk thread dyed red; all of native manufacture. He was a great warrior and for his exploits was nicknamed “Gbagida! Wowo I’ewon ab’esin fo odi (Gbagida, an expression of admiration), a man with clanging chains (for prisoners) whose horse can lead over a town wall). The History of the Yorubas. Pg.176 by Rev, Samuel Johnson.

(9) Besides, some families in Yorubaland are classified adherents of Aje deity. Some of these families named their children in honour of their chosen deity, i.e. Aje. Such names include: Ajebandele, Ajewumi, Ajifowobaje etc not to talk of those who dedicate time to worship the deity.

(10) It is also a truism that some cognomen, lineage panegyric, such cognomen include: Aje ti so eru d’omo. Yet another is special request and plea to Aje such as “Aje dakun ma na mi ni pasan re ko se nani” and many others like that.

(11) Coming back to modern trade, I make bold to say that it was the imitative of Alaafin who opened the Yoruba to Trans-Sahara trade with West African Countries as early as the fifteenth century. This was especially between the Yoruba and the Hausa-Fulani across West Africa. Trade routes led from Timbuktu in Mali, Goa, Tuareg and Tripoli. Still as far as (Oceanic) Coastal trade was concerned, the Alaafin used the Port of Allada in Wema to control European shippers. “By the middle of the 18th century, when Oyo had grown into an empire in the full bloom of life, Oyo was bounded to the north by the Niger, to the West by Modern Togoland, to the east by its sister Kingdom of Benin and to the South by the Gulf of Guinea, and Porto Novo and Badagry were its main coastal outlets. Dahomey, it may be recalled, became a tributary state of Oyo in 1730 see: Topics in West African History, pg. 90 Paragraph 22 by Adu Boahen, Ph.D. Associate Professor of History, University of Ghana. Published by Longman Group Limited, London 1966.

(12) One other imperative of Yoruba in the pursuit of commerce is that any such pursuit must be legitimate with norms of the society. It is on this note that Yoruba sweat and labour as necessary partners; Yoruba do not encourage cheating and unlaboured wealth. Yoruba work very hard to be wealthy.

“Ise ni Oogun ise
Eni ti ise nse
Ko ma bo orisa
Oro kokan torisa
Ibaa bo orisa
Ibaa bo obatala
O di ojo ti o ba sise ko to jeun”

“Work is the medicine for poverty
Who ever is poor
Let him not worship divinities
Nothing concerns the divinities
He may worship the divinities
He may worship Obatala
It is not until he does a profitable job that he would eat”

(13) The above quotations underscore the fact that the Yoruba are very industrious from the beginning with strong emphasis on legitimacy. We have such wealthy and successful businessmen in Lagos who invested heavily on the education of their children. Few examples would suffice. For instance, in 1884, Obadia Johnson, a Yoruba qualified as a Doctor of Medicine. John Randle, son of Thomas Randle an Oyo man who settled at Aroloya in Lagos qualified as a Doctor in 1888, followed by Orisadipo Obasa in 1891. Sapara Williams became the first Lawyer in Nigeria in 1888. In 1893, Herbert Macaulay, a Yoruba man, became an Engineer and A. Agbebi followed in 1911.

(14) Earlier on a Primary School had been established in 1842 in Lagos by the Missionaries. The CMS Grammar School was established in Lagos in 1859 by T.B Macaulay who is the father of Herbert Macaulay. The Methodist Boys’ High School followed in 1876 and in 1879 Methodist Girls’ High School, 1881 St Gregory’s College, Lagos and in 1885 the Baptist Academy (see J.F. Ade Ajayi “The Development of Secondary Grammar School Education in Nigeria, pg 523.

(15) It also on account of such entrepreneurship backup with distinguished scholarship that the Yoruba established the first Television Station in Black Africa, the first five-star Hotel – Premier Hotel, Ibadan, first Stadium, first dualised Road – Mokola – to State Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan, first Food Canning Industry, first Skyscrapper – Cocoa House, Ibadan, first farm settlement, First Free Primary Education, free Medical services for school children; all in the former Western Region of Nigeria under the premiership of Chief Obafemi Awolowo. The first African Bishop was Bishop Ajayi Crowther, who spoke twelve languages: English, Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa, Fulfulde (Fulani) Nupe, Kanuri etc, Bishop Ajayi Crowther discovered the first ever Igbo Alphabet ‘ISIOMA’ just as the first Newspaper to be published in Nigeria. These are just a few of the “firsts”.

(16) In summary, let it be stated that Nigeria, despite the multiplicity of its ethnicity has been together in harmony in spite of their heterogeneity. All of us leaders should guide against any utterance that can create an atmosphere of suspicion and rancor among the various ethnic compositions.

IKU BABA YEYE

Chancellor, Crescent University, Abeokuta, Ogun State
Pro-Chancellor, Keisie International University South Korea Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Optional09: 7:48pm On May 03, 2019
That Ooni is an ———-2,

I have always observed the Enitan to be taking rubbish he’s not a good representation of what Yoruba king should be

5 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Dreambeat: 7:56pm On May 03, 2019
This version of the Yoruba history is more like it

5 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by kayroc: 7:56pm On May 03, 2019
I don't really understand why the Ooni has taken to unguided utterances. It must be so painful for other royal father's to come out and start issuing corrections like this.

Ever since that scandal with his wife he should have been guided harshly to avoid issues but he is still saying things like this. Why?

5 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Mynd44: 8:17pm On May 03, 2019
You can pay through school but you can't buy class

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by capitalzero: 8:26pm On May 03, 2019
Both Alaafin and Ooni are wrong. Ooni may have partial information because palace in ife has yoruba historical artefacts which are not affected by wars or relocation of settlements unlike palace in oyo. oyo had lost some of historical artefacts because of incessant wars and slave trade when some Alaafin sold off some artefacts. Present oyo is third one. previous too settlements were destroyed during yoruba civil war. Alaafin statement is political and he wants to be neutral. Alaafin should know he is not head of yoruba or yoruba obas. oyo empire had collapsed and he cannot claim to be the head just as pope cannot claim to be the head of all Christians or head of Holy Roman empire as was before reformation movement. past is pass. what I do not like about ooni is his immaturity on traditional matters.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by ODVanguard: 8:29pm On May 03, 2019
The Ooni really disappointed a lot of people with his immature and infantile attempt to rewrite history.

7 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 03, 2019
Sincerely speaking I don't see the essence of this Brou haha. The oonis only motive is to bring peace, perhaps he had a vision of something terrible happening if these two tribes do not become one.
Look at it from his side, he knows his office and knows how sacred it is. People are judging him because of his youthfulness but that's beyond that. It's only an old person that can gather up such courage to say such words on the throne, based on how the Yoruba's take old age and sacredness of the throne.
Ooni wants change and he wants peace. Igbos didn't complain about what he did because they know what he is trying to do, make unity. But Yoruba are seeing it in another point of view that even the Ones abroad are complaining about it, it's totally I don't know what to say.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is this. Perhaps he asked Almighty God to give him directions to the throne, because every king wants to become great and beat the test of time. And God gave him the answer, what Ooni have done would bear fruits much later as far he has the backing of God and his virtuous wife. God bless you

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Olu317(m): 9:28pm On May 03, 2019
capitalzero:
Both Alaafin and Ooni are wrong. Ooni may have partial information because palace in ife has yoruba historical artefacts which are not affected by wars or relocation of settlements unlike palace in oyo. oyo had lost some of historical artefacts because of incessant wars and slave trade when some Alaafin sold off some artefacts. Present oyo is third one. previous too settlements were destroyed during yoruba civil war. Alaafin statement is political and he wants to be neutral. Alaafin should know he is not head of yoruba or yoruba obas. oyo empire had collapsed and he cannot claim to be the head just as pope cannot claim to be the head of all Christians or head of Holy Roman empire as was before reformation movement. past is pass. what I do not like about ooni is his immaturity on traditional matters.

Oniorisa Enitan Ogunwus is wrong,no matter how anyone see it. Obalufon1 was christened o gbo gbo d'rin ( became aged and turned to iron),when he ruled. Meanwhile, it was during this era Oranmiyan left Ufe on sojourning to the places like Usen-Igodomigodo and O yo ru Oba where he reigned as kings before he returned back during the reign of Obalufon II era that he, Oranmiyan wrestled the power back to Ogun, who was a descendant of Odudua dynasty. It was during this era that massive movement outward Ufe by some rebels, who were later called Igbo of Yoruba's origin. How did Ibo of Eastern people of modern Nigeria became members of Yoruba dynasty? Yoruba and Ibos didn't have same Lexicons over 1000+ years ago and before. It is unfortunate for such information to have come out through the most revered throne in Yoruba land. It is quite unfortunate!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 03, 2019
Olu317:

Oniorisa is wrong,no matter how anyone see it. Obalufon 1 was christened o gbo gbo d'rin ( became aged and turned to iron),when he seized the power from Ogun to rule . Meanwhile, it was during this era Oranmiyan left Ufe on sojourning to the places he reigned as kings before he returned back during the reign of Obalufon II era that Oranmiyan wrestled the power back to Odudua dynasty. How did Ibo became members of Yoruba dynasty? Yoruba and Ibos didn't have same Lexicons over 1000+ years ago and before. It is unfortunate for such information to have come out through the most revered throne in Yoruba land. It is quite unfortunate!

How are you sure this part of history wasn't made to suit the people of that time. There are no documentations of an Ogun falling from the sky or seizing throne or even Oramiyan all these are mere folklores by people. Please do understand.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Olu317(m): 9:34pm On May 03, 2019
Eberejesus111:

How are you sure this part of history wasn't made to suit the people of that time. There are no documentations of an Ogun falling from the sky or seizing throne or even Oramiyan all these are mere folklores by people. Please do understand.

Sorry sir I know because I am Oranmiyan's patrilineal bloodline. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 03, 2019
Olu317:

Sorry sir I know because I am Oranmiyan's patrilineal bloodline. Thank you.
OK interesting. I wouldn't refute your claims, I sincerely honour it, I'm sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by capitalzero: 9:45pm On May 03, 2019
Olu317:

Oniorisa is wrong,no matter how anyone see it. Obalufon1 was christened o gbo gbo d'rin ( became aged and turned to iron),when he ruled. Meanwhile, it was during this era Oranmiyan left Ufe on sojourning to the places he reigned as kings before he returned back during the reign of Obalufon II era that he, Oranmiyan wrestled the power back to Ogun, who was a descendant of Odudua. It was during this era that massive movement outward Ufe by some rebels, who were later called Igbo of Yoruba's origin. How did Ibo of Eastern people of modern Nigeria became members of Yoruba dynasty? Yoruba and Ibos didn't have same Lexicons over 1000+ years ago and before. It is unfortunate for such information to have come out through the most revered throne in Yoruba land. It is quite unfortunate!

you can never be so sure.
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Olu317(m): 9:48pm On May 03, 2019
Eberejesus111:

OK interesting. I wouldn't refute your claims, I sincerely honour it, I'm sorry.

Sir, truthfully,no man is Almighty God nor perfect as this creator, so,I can err too, but when I read what Ooni said, I was lost of words for days on such ambiguous statement. Anyway, the deed had been done. And only God will correct the error.This doesn't mean, Yoruba aren't related to Eastern ibos-igbos through intermarriages but not on AJE.

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Olu317(m): 9:58pm On May 03, 2019
capitalzero:

you can never be so sure.

I am sure because igunugun (vulture) isn't assocaited with any royal families of any eastern ibos-igbo language as it is in oranmiyan and Obalufon descendant panegyric. The panegyric of these people in ancient ufe clashed in their descendants panegyric,even outside Ufe,despite, their reunification. Obviously, panegyric don't lies...... vulture is a terrible bird that's revere in Yoruba worldview and in ancient World...

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by MetaPhysical: 10:44pm On May 03, 2019
Kaabiyesi O!
Ade a pe lori
Bata a pe lese
Ase a pe lenu Alaafin!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by capitalzero: 4:29am On May 04, 2019
Olu317:

I am sure because igunugun (vulture) isn't assocaited with any royal families of any eastern ibos-igbo language as it is in oranmiyan and Obalufon descendant panegyric. The panegyric of these people in ancient ufe clashed in their descendants panegyric,even outside Ufe,despite, their reunification. Obviously, panegyric don't lies...... vulture is a terrible bird that's revere in Yoruba worldview and in ancient World...

It is like you are from ife?
well,ooni version is based on yoruba legend. ife is home to all sorts of yoruba legend and stories.
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by MetaPhysical: 7:06am On May 04, 2019
Eberejesus111:
Sincerely speaking I don't see the essence of this Brou haha. The oonis only motive is to bring peace, perhaps he had a vision of something terrible happening if these two tribes do not become one.
Look at it from his side, he knows his office and knows how sacred it is. People are judging him because of his youthfulness but that's beyond that. It's only an old person that can gather up such courage to say such words on the throne, based on how the Yoruba's take old age and sacredness of the throne.
Ooni wants change and he wants peace. Igbos didn't complain about what he did because they know what he is trying to do, make unity. But Yoruba are seeing it in another point of view that even the Ones abroad are complaining about it, it's totally I don't know what to say.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is this. Perhaps he asked Almighty God to give him directions to the throne, because every king wants to become great and beat the test of time. And God gave him the answer, what Ooni have done would bear fruits much later as far he has the backing of God and his virtuous wife. God bless you

There are many way to make peace but trading your superiority over others to level the balance is not advisable. Besides, it is not his job to make peace between Yoruba and other ethnic groups....thats Alaafin's role.

3 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Olu317(m): 10:55am On May 04, 2019
capitalzero:

It is like you are from ife?
well,ooni version is based on yoruba legend. ife is home to all sorts of yoruba legend and stories.

Well, you can ascribe anywhere to me but one thing is certain about Odudua descendants which is based on geneaology that suggests them having names that are linked to them through their ancestors, peculiar ancestors form of worship,certain names they bear and dont bear.

After all, Oranmiyan became famed because he came back from his sojourning to rule Ufe,which actually is a fact. The land of Ufe was where he died and his sword begun being used as the symbol of authority. From the period of his death, and forever, his warrior nature is associated to Vulture in Ufe and fearless, which is also associated to his warrior alike descendants panegyric,wherever they are being located in Yoruba land or anywhere else,they are found.

Myth can be relative because no one alive was born in that period,so Ooni can not be too sure of what he was told by his counsels. This also is likened to Obalufon being called the man who brought famed iron manufacturing to the Yoruba's. But how ironic can this saying be around 12th century that both oranmiyan and he lived? Interestingly, the Opa oranmiyan was said to have been built before 12th century in Yoruba land of Ufe,with a lot of long iron nails inserted into the oranmiyan's Obelisk...The question is: How did Obalufon became the innovator of iron nails that's not of his ancestors?

In fact, Ogun cylindrical obelisk is also in Ufe, which was before Opa Oranmiyan's. All these obelisk are the strength of Odudua and descendants writing. So myth exist but many of these myth are actually inconsistent with the truth because, many names being borne during that era were names of God. The reality is that Ibos-Igbo of Eastern Nigeria aren't Ubo-Igbo yorubas and need not be credited to being associated with wealth of Yorubas. It is totally sacrilegious to debased Odudua as not being the wealthiest and strongest man during his era. If this man and his group known in history as adorned in robe(apron wearers),then Igbo of Eastern region is faux as being claimed. What has Yoruba's iná (light) and Igbo's Okwu (light) has in common?

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by goalernestman: 12:48pm On May 04, 2019
Olu317:

Well, you can ascribe anywhere to me but one thing is certain about Odudua descendants which is based on geneaology that suggests them having names that are linked to them through their ancestors, peculiar ancestors form of worship,certain names they bear and dont bear.

After all, Oranmiyan became famed because he came back from his sojourning to rule Ufe,which actually is a fact. The land of Ufe was where he died and his sword begun being used as the symbol of authority. From the period of his death, and forever, his warrior nature is associated to Vulture in Ufe and fearless, which is also associated to his warrior alike descendants panegyric,wherever they are being located in Yoruba land or anywhere else,they are found.

Myth can be relative because no one alive was born in that period,so Ooni can not be too sure of what he was told by his counsels. This also is likened to Obalufon being called the man who brought famed iron manufacturing to the Yoruba's. But how ironic can this saying be around 12th century that both oranmiyan and he lived? Interestingly, the Opa oranmiyan was said to have been built before 12th century in Yoruba land of Ufe,with a lot of long iron nails inserted into the oranmiyan's Obelisk...The question is: How did Obalufon became the innovator of iron nails that's not of his ancestors?

In fact, Ogun cylindrical obelisk is also in Ufe, which was before Opa Oranmiyan's. All these obelisk are the strength of Odudua and descendants writing. So myth exist but many of these myth are actually inconsistent with the truth because, many names being borne during that era were names of God. The reality is that Ibos-Igbo of Eastern Nigeria aren't Ubo-Igbo yorubas and need not be credited to being associated with wealth of Yorubas. It is totally sacrilegious to debased Odudua as not being the wealthiest and strongest man during his era. If this man and his group known in history as adorned in robe(apron wearers),then Igbo of Eastern region is faux as being claimed. What has Yoruba's iná (light) and Igbo's Okwu (light) has in common?

The fact igbo was never in the east of now then Benin was the place known as the east then, Benin was the eastern Nigeria and south Nigeria this is fact read any history people traveling to east or south they always says Benin. igbo of now actually came from Benin
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Opiletool(m): 1:57pm On May 04, 2019
goalernestman:

The fact igbo was never in the east of now then Benin was the place known as the east then, Benin was the eastern Nigeria and south Nigeria this is fact read any history people traveling to east or south they always says Benin. igbo of now actually came from Benin

You're have come again with your incomprehensible rubbish.

As for the topic, good to see the Ooni getting schooled.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Olu317(m): 1:58pm On May 04, 2019
goalernestman:

Unfortunately, you kept informing wrongly on East of Yoruba's historical and memorable migration information, which was the actual Middle East in Asia which is in present day Near East . Anyway, I won't stop correcting people like you because of future references.

First of all, there was nothing like Benin in Igododmigodo before emergence of Odudua descendants.Secondly, the word ‘Benin' was solely a Yoruba word which is an ancient Hebrew word.Thirdly radiocarbon does not support Igodomigodo because your iron development era came through Yoruba's Ufeland after Yoruba's inquest into West Africa's Igoddomigodo,which is the reason Okiokpagha Treaty is reenacted between Oranmiyan-Eweka1 descendants and Ogiso-Ogiamen descendants exists in Edoland.

Now,“Archaeological sites in the Niger Delta show that advanced economic development began much earlier there than elsewhere in West Africa. This is seen in early use of metallurgy. At one metallurgical complex, dated to 765 BC, iron ore was smelted in furnaces measuring a meter wide. The molten slag was drained through conduits to pits, where it formed blocks weighing up to 43-47 kg. The operating temperatures are estimated to have varied between 1,155 and 1,450 degrees C (Holl, 2009). Some radiocarbon dates for iron smelting in this region go back to 2000 BC (Eze-Uzomaka, 2009).

This metallurgy is unusual not only in its early date for West Africa but also in its subsequent development, which reached a high level of sophistication despite a lack of borrowing from metallurgical traditions in the Middle East and Europe. This may be seen in more than 700 artefacts of bronze, copper, and iron recovered from the Igbo-Ukwu site and dated to the 9th century AD:

They are the oldest bronze artifacts known in West African and were manufactured centuries before the emergence of other known bronze producing centers such as those of Ife and Benin." So, as you can see,Ibo-Igbo had established iron ore development before Igodomigodo and thus the Yoruba's migration to this part of West Africa with her visual Terracotta work helped differentiates these Artistic works from Ibos-Igbos of Nigeria.
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 04, 2019
MetaPhysical:

There are many way to make peace but trading your superiority over others to level the balance is not advisable. Besides, it is not his job to make peace between Yoruba and other ethnic groups....thats Alaafin's role.
Well you say " superiority". It's good. But what the ooni has done is to gain respect with those at the other side of the Niger river. They see him as a man that wants peace, just for this attitude that the ooni has done you can tell an igbo man that ooni is a good royal father and they'll gladly say YES, but for others.

In essence, OOni is a wise king and would be famous in the test of time. God bless you my brother, God bless the ooni, God bless AAlafin and all other royals and government and God bless Nigeria.
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by goalernestman: 7:46pm On May 04, 2019
Olu317:

Unfortunately, you kept informing wrongly on East of Yoruba's historical and memorable migration information, which was the actual Middle East in Asia which is in present day Near East . Anyway, I won't stop correcting people like you because of future references.

First of all, there was nothing like Benin in Igododmigodo before emergence of Odudua descendants.Secondly, the word ‘Benin' was solely a Yoruba word which is an ancient Hebrew word.Thirdly radiocarbon does not support Igodomigodo because your iron development era came through Yoruba's Ufeland after Yoruba's inquest into West Africa's Igoddomigodo,which is the reason Okiokpagha Treaty is reenacted between Oranmiyan-Eweka1 descendants and Ogiso-Ogiamen descendants exists in Edoland.

Now,“Archaeological sites in the Niger Delta show that advanced economic development began much earlier there than elsewhere in West Africa. This is seen in early use of metallurgy. At one metallurgical complex, dated to 765 BC, iron ore was smelted in furnaces measuring a meter wide. The molten slag was drained through conduits to pits, where it formed blocks weighing up to 43-47 kg. The operating temperatures are estimated to have varied between 1,155 and 1,450 degrees C (Holl, 2009). Some radiocarbon dates for iron smelting in this region go back to 2000 BC (Eze-Uzomaka, 2009).

This metallurgy is unusual not only in its early date for West Africa but also in its subsequent development, which reached a high level of sophistication despite a lack of borrowing from metallurgical traditions in the Middle East and Europe. This may be seen in more than 700 artefacts of bronze, copper, and iron recovered from the Igbo-Ukwu site and dated to the 9th century AD:

They are the oldest bronze artifacts known in West African and were manufactured centuries before the emergence of other known bronze producing centers such as those of Ife and Benin." So, as you can see,Ibo-Igbo had established iron ore development before Igodomigodo and thus the Yoruba's migration to this part of West Africa with her visual Terracotta work helped differentiates these Artistic works from Ibos-Igbos of Nigeria.

Oyo was bounded to the north by the Niger, to the West by Modern Togoland, to the east by its sister Kingdom of Benin and to the South by the Gulf of Guinea.

1above is what your kings said not me so you see it fact

1 Then for the igbo origin you are talking about. Even the igbos believe they came from Benin, they have 3 type origin story 1 is of Jacob of the Bible 2 is of Benin and also there is 3. Go ask any igbo man to list for you.

2 go read odesey of Nigeria first president igbo man knamdi Azik
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by goalernestman: 7:53pm On May 04, 2019
Olu317:

And also am not talking about igodomigodo because it was not a country or a nation or an empire. Igodo was no known. But when it was benin it was a nation a country and empire that if you are going to the east from daymy oyo Togo it means u are heading to Benin.
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by macof(m): 10:22am On May 06, 2019
Eberejesus111:

Igbos do not know their history so why would what Ọọ̀ni said bother them? He is giving them a history

And yorubas are angry because he is distorting our history. Taking out the Ugbo(ilaje) heritage in Ifè and selling it to the igbos

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 06, 2019
macof:

Igbos do not know their history so why would what Ọọ̀ni said bother them? He is giving them a history

And yorubas are angry because he is distorting our history. Taking out the Ugbo(ilaje) heritage in Ifè and selling it to the igbos
Although, earthly I'm Igbo but majorly from the country Zion. To say a man does not know his or her history in this present time is highly inappropriate. History, especially in Africa had been contrived one way or the other, Yoruba's have different claims to their history. One is the Benin origination, the divine or supernatural origination, the Hebrew origination and the Egyptian origination. But what most Yoruba's have fully accepted( well do not have the statistics) is the divine/supernatural origination. Which no Igbo man had denied but had doubts on such origination.
Now the Igbo man links his origination to his own divine preeminence and you're ( a yoruba) are denying him of that. And this wasn't because the Igbo man wanted to find a way out of oblivion but he had seen traces, related links, linked to the Israelites, that even the Israelites based on their history and little bit of proofs here and there could not refute such claims by the Igbos, their only claim is that the DNA Haplogroup of the Igbos isn't wholly similar to them as their Ethiopian counterparts. But major traditional rites has got links to the Israelites.

Igbos as I perceive them to be, have no yearning or desire to claim or be a partaker of other people's ancestry. The Ooni on the other hand is a wise king, I believe in the supernatural and it would be only God that would have given him such advice of making peace on that throne. The devil hates and disregards peace.
Ooni listened to God ( Oolorun) and had said those words, with the support of the wife because God wants to make a change in Nigeria, but the devil won't allow it, he rather sees more discord, feigning it as selling heritage and using individuals like you to foster such claims.
It would even be wrong for you to say one tribe has much superiority than the other, both tribes are superior in my perspective but also have their little fallout. Now just imagine if, these tribe and the Hausa/fulani tribe of the north merge into a strong force what do you think it would bring to this world, you're right, progress

History can not be known nor perceived in Africa but has only been passed by tales of the moonlight, but the only history we have to take now to ourselves is what we do now for the future generation to build upon.
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by macof(m): 3:51pm On May 06, 2019
Eberejesus111:

Although, earthly I'm Igbo but majorly from the country Zion. To say a man does not know his or her history in this present time is highly inappropriate. History, especially in Africa had been contrived one way or the other, Yoruba's have different claims to their history. One is the Benin origination, the divine or supernatural origination, the Hebrew origination and the Egyptian origination. But what most Yoruba's have fully accepted( well do not have the statistics) is the divine/supernatural origination. Which no Igbo man had denied but had doubts on such origination.
Now the Igbo man links his origination to his own divine preeminence and you're ( a yoruba) are denying him of that. And this wasn't because the Igbo man wanted to find a way out of oblivion but he had seen traces, related links, linked to the Israelites, that even the Israelites based on their history and little bit of proofs here and there could not refute such claims by the Igbos, their only claim is that the DNA Haplogroup of the Igbos isn't wholly similar to them as their Ethiopian counterparts. But major traditional rites has got links to the Israelites.

Igbos as I perceive them to be, have no yearning or desire to claim or be a partaker of other people's ancestry. The Ooni on the other hand is a wise king, I believe in the supernatural and it would be only God that would have given him such advice of making peace on that throne. The devil hates and disregards peace.
Ooni listened to God ( Oolorun) and had said those words, with the support of the wife because God wants to make a change in Nigeria, but the devil won't allow it, he rather sees more discord, feigning it as selling heritage and using individuals like you to foster such claims.
It would even be wrong for you to say one tribe has much superiority than the other, both tribes are superior in my perspective but also have their little fallout. Now just imagine if, these tribe and the Hausa/fulani tribe of the north merge into a strong force what do you think it would bring to this world, you're right, progress

History can not be known nor perceived in Africa but has only been passed by tales of the moonlight, but the only history we have to take now to ourselves is what we do not for the future generation to build upon.

grin grin. What a joke of a response

God reveals history now grin
Oh jeez. This is exactly why religious Africans don't know their history
Lazy bums who rather than travel, research and study, wait for some spirit to reveal things

There's absolutely no point engaging you
It was fun to read this though grin
Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by macof(m): 3:51pm On May 06, 2019
Eberejesus111:

History can not be known nor perceived in Africa but has only been passed by tales of the moonlight, but the only history we have to take now to ourselves is what we do now for the future generation to build upon.

Lazy bums who rather than travel, research and study, wait for some spirit to reveal things

Re: Alaafin Sets The Record Straight, Refutes Ooni's Claim On Yoruba Ancestral Ties by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 06, 2019
macof:

You're welcome smiley But worthy to note, if you don't believe in the supernatural, how did Obatala use chains, a chicken and a chunk of soil to make the Yoruba human race and the Yoruba's believe it till date.

How did yemoja( the queen of the sea)emerge and Olocun( the king of the dark blue sea) emerge and the yorubas believe it, even the old.

Why is Aje or any other festival in Osun or any other Yoruba state held in significance.

The supernatural is real my brother, just the same way you are sitting on that chair, viewing this read. And the Ooni had the supernatural but more supreme than other gods as his backup.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ojukwu Our Moses Nnamdi Kanu Our Joshua The Biblical Interconnectivity / History Of Ifako-ijaye (or Iju Ifako) / Yoruba Women And High Priority Of Having Children In Their Matrimonial Home.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.