Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,157 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

A Literary Identity Essay - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Literary Identity Essay (453 Views)

Wole Soyinka: A Literary Icon Par Excellence / Chinua Achebe Literary Festival To Hold In Awka / Adage As A Literary Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Literary Identity Essay by Korkara(m): 7:52pm On May 03, 2019
MY BEARDS MY CAREER

The day I started to sprout strands of hair underneath my lower jaw, those in Kenya could hear the loud mirthful green I let out. I was still in my sanity but somehow, people read madness into my moves. "Maybe he gulped down five tumblers of his grandfather's palm wine and it has deranged him." So they thought, oblivious of the naked fact that I never met my grandfather let alone taking undue advantage of his palm wine. My grandfather which I took after in height according to my mother, died scores of years ago before I even graced my mother's womb. Since thirty years ago when I first saw the bright light of the shining day, I have never taken advantage of alcohol, but my mouth has taken alcohol and my stomach has housed it also. So, my onlookers had jumped into a very young conclusion.
When the sex of the new born baby was the long awaited male, he was actually admired by all. Pet names as well as endearing names were loaded in one million drums for him. Since the Nigerian and African culture gave permission to well wishers to name a child as they like, even the passing birds named him. Although he received a million of names, he is now known by one. Oh yes, I am that little child. At four years old, my father stuffed me with lots of balls. "Freeman, I want you to play football to international standard." Football formed an integral part of my life during my primary school days. I was the present day David De Gea in Manchester United Football Club during my primary school days. When I graduated from primary school in July, 2001 and was enrolled in secondary school in September, 2001 the narrative changed a bit.
At Junior Secondary School One, our English Literature teacher introduced us to a literary book known as The Lion and the Jewel. At the rear cover of the book stood the author's picture; an ebullient dark skinned Yoruba-Nigerian man. His head heavily loaded with a thick dark fallowing bush while a little chunk nestle underneath his lower jaw. I was not only enthralled by his scribblings, his beard pattern also did. His beards was overgrown. I preferred it to the five o'clock shadow I used to peer at on my father's face.
I read that book thoroughly and made sure I got the highest mark in exam. Having outperformed my classmates in English Literature, it occurred to me that I was fast catching up with Wole Soyinka, the Nobel Prize Winner but underneath my jaw was as smooth as a sandpapered wood. It was about time I started growing beards to resemble him fully. After applying all the cream a friend prescribed, i only grew a little moustache throughout my Senior secondary school one.
Oh yes, those people actually jumped into a very young conclusion. How could they have attributed my celebration to a nascent madness? They thought it was easy to grow a strand of beard. They did not know how long I have looked for it. So when I woke up and discovered a few strands sprouting, my heart went berserk in happiness. At least I grew it in Senior Secondary School Three, my plans to resemble the author of The Lion and the Jewel has been hatched.
When I actually graduated in 2007, and gained admission into the university to study English Literature, the fallowing bush on my face was equal to my secret mentor. Though I had issues with my parents who insisted that I kept my face clean-shaven, I was not perturbed because I knew I was heading somewhere unique. It was when I began to write a lot of articles, short stories, and poems with the obscurantist method that people started calling me the name of my secret mentor. The sobriquet, Wole Soyinka continued till I graduated 2013. To me I was emulating his hair style but I ended up as a writer. Now the fallowing bush on my face has taken another dimension, my beard has assumed another look. I no longer emulate Wole Soyinka, I'm now being emulated by my fans. The beards I emulated has made me a creative writer. Hence my beards, the narrative behind my career.
Re: A Literary Identity Essay by HughAllred: 7:48am On Feb 12, 2020
Identity essay writing consists of certain paragraphs and rules must be strictly followed. Your essay must be edited and corrected.
essayservice - hire editor to help you with your identity essay.

(1) (Reply)

Wikipedia Article Writers Needed! / Nma (part 2 ) / Port Harcourt! Let's Write For You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.