Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. (13198 Views)

Must-have Accessories For Your New Smartphone / How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats / 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Techvenge: 4:04am On May 06, 2019
1) IOS or Android.

The first thing you need to decide on how to buy a phone is to answer the question “whether you want to use an Android or iOS.” This might sound pretty common sense but really what you want to think about is do you want to customize, do you really want to dig into your phone and have a robust file system then you definitely want Android.

Also if your aim is to have more freedom feeling phone, if only you feel like you can tweak and do whatever you want at your own risks then you should definitely consider an android phone.

However, if you want a very secure operating system that you know you could count on each and every day that is going to be very fast, fluid and reliable then you want to really take a look at IOS.

If you’re the type of person who wants a more simple phone to use. In my opinion, you should either look at the Google Pixel series or the iPhone, these two are the most simple phones that you can buy right now.

2) Price.

The second thing you want to consider when you want to get your next smartphone is the price. Here, we are talking about value for price. Now you don’t just look at a premium smartphone and think like oh I don’t need that type of phone when you might just need that much phone.

This depends, if you’re a person who has a laptop and a tablet and are both powerful enough for your needs then you might not actually need a $1000 smartphone to do everything. It is worthy to point out that a lot of people will buy an iPhone X and also buy a Galaxy S8 just for a fashion statement or just to have the best in their pocket.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. But when we’re talking about value for money, do you really need that? Well again, in my personal opinion, I would say if you have a strong and durable laptop you don’t really do.

If you are the type that doesn’t really use your phone for all your work-related stuff, you don’t use your phone for all your photography or you don’t use your phone for stuff that can really bring you back the money out of the phone then you might want to consider a phone in the range of $500 – $700.

3) Size.

Next up on how to buy a smartphone, after you consider the ecosystem and price for value, is the size. Without a doubt, there are a ton of big phones as well as smaller phones. But you want to consider how big is your hand before you buy a new smartphone.

Now, if you have really small hands you definitely want to take a look at the iPhone SE. It’s one of the only phones on the market that rocks well with small hands, also you could take a look at the Sony’s XE compact series which is also a nice phone and it got a wide-angle camera.

However, if your choice is larger devices, you should definitely take a look at what Samsung has to offer in the S9 or the S8. These phones are really putting up a nice big screen and an almost a perfect form factor small body just like the Pixel 2. You could see it has big bezels but it’s about the same size as the Galaxy S8 or the LG G6, for example, a small body but a big screen just like the iPhone X.

You have to decide on the size. Do you want a big screen or a small screen? If you want something that’s not as small as an iPhone SE or XE compact, take a look at the Pixel 2 or the iPhone 8 these two are some of the best you can get in the small size phones.

4) Phone Features.

After that, let’s take a look at the features that matter the most to you. Do you want a great camera, great battery life or do you want a great screen? Most of the phones you will be seeing will offer those things in one package but don’t discount older phones because older phones have great cameras as well.

Like the S7 Edge, it still has a dual pixel AF camera, although it might be a little bit older looking than the newer phones, you’re going to get a similar camera as the newer phones. You can actually get a good camera on a one to two-year-old flagship. If you are in the market for great battery life, I definitely want to recommend Samsung’s devices I think they get better battery life right now than the iOS side.

In this guide on how to buy a smartphone, we will use the Note 8 for example of older phones that still offers premium value. The phone could keep going and going. Pixel series also does very well with the optimizations to Android 8.1. If you care a lot about software updates, you should pick the IOS, go with basically any iPhone it’s going to work well.

5) Underdogs Options.

One of the best ways on how to buy a smartphone is to look at the underdog’s options. This is going to save you a lot of money here in 2019. Take for example the LG G6. Of course, you’re not going to get your money back that much out of the device but you could find this phone at under $300. Do you believe that?

When you compare the LG G6 and the iPhone X side by side, you will notice some similarities between them such as the dual cameras, similar size form factor and both have screens that are really nice in a small body and you’re going to get that for less than most of these premium phones.

Just because LG is not a popular brand anymore and they’re just not competing in the marketing with Samsung and Apple but doesn’t mean they’re not making equally as great phones, they pretty much are.

You know LG v30 is also plummeting in value so you can get an LG phone for much less money and you’re going to get a similar experience so consider that underdog brands even Oneplus for example.

https://www.techvenge.net/2019/04/how-buy-a-smartphone.html

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by OlieEvan(m): 5:01am On May 06, 2019
This Your Number 5 is still doing me one kine.
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by nony43(m): 6:44am On May 06, 2019
RAM and Internal memory too

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by HeWrites(m): 6:44am On May 06, 2019
I only buy because of Design and Price
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by calddon(m): 6:46am On May 06, 2019
A good writeup

Most persons buy smartphones or go after the latest smartphones because of the hype attached to it. Am grateful to such ones though, they help push down the prices of older devices. e.g. the release of the Samsung Galaxy S10 quickly influenced the drop in price of Galaxy s8.

Just because it is the latest tech release doesn't mean it is the best.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by calddon(m): 6:46am On May 06, 2019
My comments are above grin
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Ekitilawa: 6:47am On May 06, 2019
happy Ramadan to my Muslim brothers and sisters in this platform

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by geo4c: 6:48am On May 06, 2019
Please ooooo

I bought a new gionee s10C shipped from overseas
Buh i literally find it hard to operate it no play store, i can dial some ussd code

Please who knows wat i should do??

Please
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by TalkTalkTwins(m): 6:51am On May 06, 2019
I wonder if I'm the only one who loves Androids more than iPhones...

I'd go for a Samsung anyday.
If you need a very affordable business website, kindly mention me. Delivery in 72 hours.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by omoadeleye(m): 6:51am On May 06, 2019
Good news for newbies
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by technuel: 6:52am On May 06, 2019
Good Article
It seems Nairaland mods have repented
Lets watch and see if their craze no start in the .

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by newangelabrown(f): 6:53am On May 06, 2019
Techvenge:
1) IOS or Android.

The first thing you need to decide on how to buy a phone is to answer the question “whether you want to use an Android or iOS.” This might sound pretty common sense but really what you want to think about is do you want to customize, do you really want to dig into your phone and have a robust file system then you definitely want Android.

Also if your aim is to have more freedom feeling phone, if only you feel like you can tweak and do whatever you want at your own risks then you should definitely consider an android phone.

However, if you want a very secure operating system that you know you could count on each and every day that is going to be very fast, fluid and reliable then you want to really take a look at IOS.

If you’re the type of person who wants a more simple phone to use. In my opinion, you should either look at the Google Pixel series or the iPhone, these two are the most simple phones that you can buy right now.

2) Price.

The second thing you want to consider when you want to get your next smartphone is the price. Here, we are talking about value for price. Now you don’t just look at a premium smartphone and think like oh I don’t need that type of phone when you might just need that much phone.

This depends, if you’re a person who has a laptop and a tablet and are both powerful enough for your needs then you might not actually need a $1000 smartphone to do everything. It is worthy to point out that a lot of people will buy an iPhone X and also buy a Galaxy S8 just for a fashion statement or just to have the best in their pocket.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. But when we’re talking about value for money, do you really need that? Well again, in my personal opinion, I would say if you have a strong and durable laptop you don’t really do.

If you are the type that doesn’t really use your phone for all your work-related stuff, you don’t use your phone for all your photography or you don’t use your phone for stuff that can really bring you back the money out of the phone then you might want to consider a phone in the range of $500 – $700.

3) Size.

Next up on how to buy a smartphone, after you consider the ecosystem and price for value, is the size. Without a doubt, there are a ton of big phones as well as smaller phones. But you want to consider how big is your hand before you buy a new smartphone.

Now, if you have really small hands you definitely want to take a look at the iPhone SE. It’s one of the only phones on the market that rocks well with small hands, also you could take a look at the Sony’s XE compact series which is also a nice phone and it got a wide-angle camera.

However, if your choice is larger devices, you should definitely take a look at what Samsung has to offer in the S9 or the S8. These phones are really putting up a nice big screen and an almost a perfect form factor small body just like the Pixel 2. You could see it has big bezels but it’s about the same size as the Galaxy S8 or the LG G6, for example, a small body but a big screen just like the iPhone X.

You have to decide on the size. Do you want a big screen or a small screen? If you want something that’s not as small as an iPhone SE or XE compact, take a look at the Pixel 2 or the iPhone 8 these two are some of the best you can get in the small size phones.

4) Phone Features.

After that, let’s take a look at the features that matter the most to you. Do you want a great camera, great battery life or do you want a great screen? Most of the phones you will be seeing will offer those things in one package but don’t discount older phones because older phones have great cameras as well.

Like the S7 Edge, it still has a dual pixel AF camera, although it might be a little bit older looking than the newer phones, you’re going to get a similar camera as the newer phones. You can actually get a good camera on a one to two-year-old flagship. If you are in the market for great battery life, I definitely want to recommend Samsung’s devices I think they get better battery life right now than the iOS side.

In this guide on how to buy a smartphone, we will use the Note 8 for example of older phones that still offers premium value. The phone could keep going and going. Pixel series also does very well with the optimizations to Android 8.1. If you care a lot about software updates, you should pick the IOS, go with basically any iPhone it’s going to work well.

5) Underdogs Options.

One of the best ways on how to buy a smartphone is to look at the underdog’s options. This is going to save you a lot of money here in 2019. Take for example the LG G6. Of course, you’re not going to get your money back that much out of the device but you could find this phone at under $300. Do you believe that?

When you compare the LG G6 and the iPhone X side by side, you will notice some similarities between them such as the dual cameras, similar size form factor and both have screens that are really nice in a small body and you’re going to get that for less than most of these premium phones.

Just because LG is not a popular brand anymore and they’re just not competing in the marketing with Samsung and Apple but doesn’t mean they’re not making equally as great phones, they pretty much are.

You know LG v30 is also plummeting in value so you can get an LG phone for much less money and you’re going to get a similar experience so consider that underdog brands even Oneplus for example.

https://www.techvenge.net/2019/04/how-buy-a-smartphone.html

Just a query, is it necessary to purchase a smartphone with high RAM even if the OS is not that upgraded

~Angela~
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Sikay19(m): 6:56am On May 06, 2019
Ekitilawa:
happy Ramadan to my Muslim brothers and sisters in this platform

Ameen thumma ameen, thank you !
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by femi4: 6:57am On May 06, 2019
newangelabrown:

Just a query, is it necessary to purchase a smartphone with high RAM even if the OS is not that upgraded

~Angela~
Most apps works perfectly from Kitkat OS. No much difference in performance upgrading to higher OS
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by abumeinben(m): 7:01am On May 06, 2019
In this part of the world, no 1, 2 are battery. 3 is processor consumption technology. Every other thing is secondary.
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Gkemz: 7:04am On May 06, 2019
The most important thing to consider is one's budget followed by functionality of the device.

Delete Tecno, Infinix, Itel, Gionee and any other China device from your list if you want to enjoy a long lasting device.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Nobody: 7:17am On May 06, 2019
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by BackToLife: 7:24am On May 06, 2019
OK.
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Nobody: 7:47am On May 06, 2019
OlieEvan:
This Your Number 5 is still doing me one kine.
LG v30 isn't the most advanced phone on the planet with the most specs, but if your looking for an upgrade, not trying to spend $500+,and want a phone that has 80% of what a 2019 flagship offers, this phone will make appreciate your purchase. Great bang for your buck

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Topmaike007(m): 7:47am On May 06, 2019
TalkTalkTwins:
I wonder if I'm the only one who loves Androids more than iPhones...

I'd go for a Samsung anyday.
If you need a very affordable business website, kindly mention me. Delivery in 72 hours.
you're not serious for this which one is only you using Android,I can die for Google product cheesy
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Topmaike007(m): 7:50am On May 06, 2019
technuel:
Good Article
It seems Nairaland mods have repented
Lets watch and see if their craze no start in the .
just wait and you will see Tonto Or Regina issue on fp

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by Topmaike007(m): 7:51am On May 06, 2019
profjustine458:

LG v30 isn't the most advanced phone on the planet with the most specs, but if your looking for an upgrade, not trying to spend $500+,and want a phone that has 80% of what a 2019 flagship offers, this phone will make appreciate your purchase. Great bang for your buck
Huawei Y7 does it better Bro
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by kinzd(m): 8:21am On May 06, 2019
newangelabrown:

~Angela~
Yea dear you can always go for phone upgrade anytime anyday.
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by fof1: 8:35am On May 06, 2019
geo4c:
Please ooooo

I bought a new gionee s10C shipped from overseas
Buh i literally find it hard to operate it no play store, i can dial some ussd code

Please who knows wat i should do??

Please

WHY NOT CONTACT UR OVERSEAS PARTNERS FOR SOLUTIONS OR POSSIBLY ACCESS THEIR SITE OR D NET FOR CUSTOMER CARE OR HELP? ABI....
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by MartinsD12(m): 10:06am On May 06, 2019
newangelabrown:

~Angela~
It's necessary don't go for older Android versions as Android 9 helps to improve battery performance and overall performance go for newer versions is even security improved
Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by chuksme(m): 10:23am On May 06, 2019
THE 4 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A SMART PHONE ARE:

1. YEAR OF MANUFACTURING

2. THE RAM

3. PROCESSOR

4. BATTERY CAPACITY.

OTHERS ARE SECONDARY, LIKE
CAMERA PIXEL,ETC

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. by stephinnoyewole(m): 10:31am On May 06, 2019
nony43:
RAM and Internal memory too

Those are features na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Telecom Operators Plan Increase In Tariffs / Which Smartphone Features Are Most Important To You? / See How A10 Fusion With 2gb Of Ram Murders Snapdragon 820 With 6gb Of Ram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.