Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

How The Igbos Raise Entrepreneurs Through “igba- Odibo” Apprenticeship System - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How The Igbos Raise Entrepreneurs Through “igba- Odibo” Apprenticeship System (393 Views)

“Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria / Registration Starts For N5million Grants For Young Entrepreneurs Through LEGS / Arthur Eze Dances To 'Igba Eze' At His Residence In Ukpo,Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Igbos Raise Entrepreneurs Through “igba- Odibo” Apprenticeship System by MakeItBiz: 4:12pm On May 06, 2019
The Igbos has a virile apprenticeship model, called Igba-Odibo which has through the years produced more success stories than failures. This model has led to the emergence of many successful Igbo entrepreneurs across different sectors.

]
The Igbo people, one of the three largest Nigerian ethnic groups, are renowned for their outstanding entrepreneurial drive.

The Igbos has a virile apprenticeship model, called Igba-Odibo which has through the years produced more success stories than failures. This model has led to the emergence of many successful Igbo entrepreneurs across different sectors.

Under the Igba-Odibo model, a ward/mentee is directly under the full care of a master (mentor) whom they serve for at least four years. The purpose is for them to acquire the managerial and business skills of buying, selling, promotion and distribution of goods. After the years of apprenticeship are over, the mentee with the becomes established in the same business by the master.

Austin Ikechukwu, a native of Nguru in Aboh-Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo state is a beneficiary of this model and to him, no school can impact such an experience on anyone in such a short time.

“I was 16 when I was brought to Lagos state by my oga (referring to his boss). He owns several shops where he sells foodstuff. Before I left our village, he met with my parents and with their blessings and prayers, I followed him to come and learn the trade.”

Austin, who has his own shop and is now his own boss after five years of apprenticeship is full of praises for his oga and the system that has made him self-sufficient and he plans on returning to the village to bring another apprentice.

“My oga is a very rich man, who has a lot of cars and houses. So, I was happy when he said he wanted me to come and learn how he became rich. Now, you can see my shop. Under him, I learned the art of bargaining, how much profit I can make from a bag of rice, beans and others.

“This system is not for the dishonest people as you will be exposed to a lot of money. If the oga is happy and you don’t steal his money, he will set up a business for you after you have finished serving him”, he explained.

Ifeanyi, a spare parts dealer at the popular Oshodi Market in Lagos state, is another beneficiary of this tested and trusted business model.

Unlike Austin, Ifeanyi has two young apprentices already learning the ropes of the business and if things go well, they will also one day own their businesses and continue with the tradition.

Ifeanyi who served his boss for nine years narrated his experience.

“I started learning this business at a young age. I was 12 years old when I was brought to Lagos by my boss, who is a friend to my elder brother. I didn’t come alone. I came with four other boys from our village, Ebenebe, in Anambra state. It wasn’t easy as we had to learn everything. I couldn’t differentiate between car brands and names of spare parts but it was worth it.

“Being young, carrying those heavy spare parts wasn’t easy but I grew into it. By the time we got home, mostly late at night, we were all tired but we still had to do some house chores for madam (his boss’wife). The others couldn’t endure what I endured. Emeka, Simon and Toochi all left early. They were returned to the village but I heard Emeka is back in Lagos.”

makeitglobal.biz was able to track down a few of those not successful in their entrepreneurship training, to get them to share their stories.

Timothy, a 28-year-old father of one, was not so fortunate with his boss. According to him, “My boss was the definition of the devil. Everything he promised to do, he didn’t do.”

“When he met with my parents, he promised them he would take care of my education and ensured that I learned his business also. He was into flour business but when I got to his place, I was like a house help, doing all the chores and running the errands. He didn’t allow me to go to school but instead, I faced his business fully.

“The agreement was that I would serve him for 9 years. I didn’t spend 5 years with him before he took me back to the village and terminated the agreement. He looked for different excuses just because he didn’t want to set up a business for me. It was a total waste of time for me but I still thank him for bringing me to Lagos.”

Uwana also shared a story similar to that of Timothy. He said when it was six months to the end of five years agreed for his apprenticeship, his boss deliberately fought with him over money. According to him, his boss accused him falsely of stealing.

Uwana reported him their kinsmen who summoned both of them to a meeting. At the meeting, he, Uwana, accounted for every stock in his care but still his boss insisted that his money was missing. Unknown to Uwana, that was the style of his boss – use and dump.

makeitglobal.biz spoke to an Igbo entrepreneur who identified himself as Buchi and shared his experiences with his mentees.

Buchi is the owner of six supermarket stores in Lagos state. At each of the stores, he has an average of four boys attending to customers. The reason, according to him, is to provide what he calls “checks and balances.”

“The boys are to serve as watchdogs to one another. That way, one is trying to act as a policeman to the other. From experience, the possibility of the four of them working together against the business is very low.”

He gave an insight into the types of apprentices he has had over the years.

“To be sincere, there is a special kind of hunger with the Igbo boys. The need to succeed at all cost. You see some of them hawking in traffic, selling various things. That’s the hunger. That is why they are different from other tribes. So, when I see some of these boys, I can see that hunger in them and I just channel that drive into the right places.

“Some of the boys just want to be successful in life. They see you as a mentor, a father, an uncle and confidant. So, from the moment you take them into your wings, try and be that mentor, father, uncle and confidant. That way, you will have their trust. They will be loyal and will likely not steal from you.

“I have had cases of peer influence which led to some of my boys stealing. When that happened and they were caught, I drove them back to their people and didn’t pay a dime because they breached the agreement. I even involved the police in the matter. The reason was to put the fear of God in others and ensure they don’t steal from me.”

But Buchi accused some masters of deliberately exploiting the kids and sending them back without setting them up as promised.

“In this business, I can give you over five names of bosses who cheat their mentees and refuse to set them up when the agreed time is up. But the truth is that these bosses are not doing well. They can’t do well at all because karma is always real.

“I have set up over eight of my boys and I am really glad that they are doing fine. When they run into trouble, they come to me for help and I do what I can. That’s the essence of the whole Igba-Odibo business model. You can imagine how many people are doing fine today because of that. The system has helped us a lot especially in a country when you are not guaranteed a job after spending years in school. With this system, you are assured of starting your own business once your agreed year of mentorship has been exhausted.”

https://www.makeitglobal.biz/top-news/igbos-raise-entrepreneurs-igba-odibo-apprenticeship-system/

cc dominique FOD puskin naijacutee lalasticlala seun

Re: How The Igbos Raise Entrepreneurs Through “igba- Odibo” Apprenticeship System by Ooni: 4:32pm On May 06, 2019
What have we done as a people to emulate them and integrate their model into our traditional economic system. it's not just shouting "wise Igbo are making money instead of joining Biafra" We southwesterners have to relieve our mind from the grip of hate and jealousy if we must progress.

1 Like

Re: How The Igbos Raise Entrepreneurs Through “igba- Odibo” Apprenticeship System by Liberator007(m): 4:36pm On May 08, 2019
I find this story very interesting as it covers all bases. The truth is that the system is a good one that has profited a lot of Igbos.
Re: How The Igbos Raise Entrepreneurs Through “igba- Odibo” Apprenticeship System by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 08, 2019
Interesting..

(1) (Reply)

This Free POS/App pays you N60 + 0.5% for every electricity bill you pay for ur / Has Olx Been Sold To Jiji Or It's A Technical Problem / Samsung Launches Its Largest 2019 QLED Ever Featuring 4k And 8k TV In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.