Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,066 members, 7,863,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:45 AM

Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World (18486 Views)

PHOTOS: Nollywood Now Making Blue Films / Nollywood Now Making Sex Movies / Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by BabaOnileK: 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2010
Basseti:

Thats what U guys should aspire to do instead of coming up here and whining. Innovation is just a breath away but u wont get it by just sitting on your backside and specializing in arm chair criticism.

How many dudes here actually go out and purchase an original CD or DVD, most NL'ers for all their whining would rather rip a movie from copy to copy or download a piece of music from limewire, even me sef dey do am grin However, we expect some "James Cameron-ish" sort of story line and effects in our home movies grin grin grin grin grin grin
I find it funny that we struggle to do our assignments academically but fail to do it in real life. Every one kept complaining about pirates but is it not funny that the pirates operate in the same market as those who fund the production of the movies? It started with piracy of foreign movies and no one batted an eyelid and now they have migrated to local movies and we will not hear the last of it.

Market changes should necessarily require a change in sales/marketting tactics. Now Kunle Afolayan's 'Figurine' and the recent Íje successés in the cinemas have pointed out the new approach to take. Even the cheapest ticket (NGN500) is more expensive than the cost of the original VCD (normally NGN300). Those who still complain of piracy should go do their homework well.

Maybe it is time we resuscitated the old cinemas and also built more modern ones. A situation where there are less than 20 modern cinemas available for public use in the whole country is embarrassing but a good point for an investor to take a position in.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by mamagee3(f): 12:50am On Oct 08, 2010
What happened to Bollywood?

the way the industry died still marvels me.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Basseti: 1:27am On Oct 08, 2010
BabaOnileK:

It started with piracy of foreign movies and no one batted an eyelid and now they have migrated to local movies and we will not hear the last of it.

For someone who is an expert in "real life" situations, U really have a problem with synthesizing appropriate analogies undecided What has the piracy of foreign movies in the NIGERIAN market has anything to do with this U think all the big movie studios in the US depend on the revenue from the Nigerian market when making predictions and budgets for their flick? Basically, foreign movies are not made with the Nigerian market as a target but Nigerian home movies are made with Nigeria as a primary target, geddit?

BabaOnileK:

Market changes should necessarily require a change in sales/marketting tactics.

I agree that the marketing should and will change in order to reach to the next level. One way that we wont achieve that is by screaming blue murder everytime Nollywood is brought up. Everybody and their mama knows that Nollywood is badly in need of some injection of direction. Thats a fact. However, lets be solution-oriented. Lets not in a haste , throw away the baby alongside with the dirty bathwater.

BabaOnileK:

Now Kunle Afolayan's 'Figurine' and the recent Íje successés in the cinemas have pointed out the new approach to take. Even the cheapest ticket (NGN500) is more expensive than the cost of the original VCD (normally NGN300). Those who still complain of piracy should go do their homework well.

When U put it that way, it looks very easy grin
What U forget to mention (or maybe ignorant of) is that the film budget , at least for Kunle's figurine, was a whopping 50 million naira. Kunle is one of the few guys now trying to take a different approach in the prevailing circumstances we have in Nollywood and more power to his elbow. However, when he applied for a loan for that movie, the banks turned him down, he had to attach the 50 million naira loan to a different project to get it funded. So basically, he didnt get the loan for the movie specifically. The importance of having some credit resources to the industry na another story by itself.

And to be honest, I have not seen the statistics on how many peeps went to see the film and if it was a commercial success, cos that will pave the way for others to toe Kunle's lead.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by tefund(m): 10:35am On Oct 08, 2010
We should not let foreigners deceive us,it is high time we asked ourself certain questions and face the hard truth , nollywood movies of scrap.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by kstrika(m): 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2010
wat shocked i tink ''Nolly is a name of a person, and ''Wood is a bunch of sticks u know,,
so i tink Nolly grin is a bunch of sticks in de industry, for ur information, ''sorry, Nolly's information''
there re many people out there who can do more better than u do, abeg make una improve ooo, 4 una beta ooooh,  grin dis one na part 1'2'3'4'5' 2moro i go act part 6'7'8'9'0-wood.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by BabaOnileK: 9:14pm On Oct 08, 2010
Basseti:

For someone who is an expert in "real life" situations, U really have a problem with synthesizing appropriate analogies undecided What has the piracy of foreign movies in the NIGERIAN market has anything to do with this Everything! I subscribe to the theory that the degradation of a community commences when broken windows, littered environments and such like are permitted while the residents are nonchalant. The piracy of foreign movies/songs in Naija was the first step, next was that of Naija songs and now Nollywood. They had built their distribution network, developed their technological know-how and increased their business savvy. The Yorubas have a saying that goes thus [color=#006600]"Ti o ba n gbo gbe gbe gbe, ti o ko si ba won won gbe, ki o ma ja si wi pe eyinkule re ni won ma gbe si" I may not be too versed in its interpretation but I think its apt for the occassion.[/color] U think all the big movie studios in the US depend on the revenue from the Nigerian market when making predictions and budgets for their flick? Basically, foreign movies are not made with the Nigerian market as a target but Nigerian home movies are made with Nigeria as a primary target, geddit? That's a bit myopic a view. Silverbird and Genesis cinemas obviously pay their royalties for movies shown and am sure the producers are happy for the amount that gushes in. A similar analogy is that banks like Citibank and StanChart that operate in Naija may look like small players but contribute significantly to the revenue generated from Africa.

I agree that the marketing should and will change in order to reach to the next level. One way that we wont achieve that is by screaming blue murder everytime Nollywood is brought up. Everybody and their mama knows that Nollywood is badly in need of some injection of direction. Thats a fact. However, lets be solution-oriented. Lets not in a haste , throw away the baby alongside with the dirty bathwater.

I agree with you but we need to adopt the changing paradigm. I regularly watch Nollywood on TV if not for anything else but laffs. I also buy original works and do have a collection of movies produced by Tunde Kelani, Tade Ogidan, and some titles like Apostle Kasali, Violated, Out of Bounds etc which I make sure I buy the original works. But the cinema option should be exploited as that is where the youths go now. At least there is a growing cinema culture.

When U put it that way, it looks very easy grin
What U forget to mention (or maybe ignorant of) is that the film budget , at least for Kunle's figurine, was a whopping 50 million naira. Kunle is one of the few guys now trying to take a different approach in the prevailing circumstances we have in Nollywood and more power to his elbow. However, when he applied for a loan for that movie, the banks turned him down, he had to attach the 50 million naira loan to a different project to get it funded. So basically, he didnt get the loan for the movie specifically. The importance of having some credit resources to the industry na another story by itself.

I never said it comes cheap to get quality but you could get a Desperado or Hurt Locker hitting it big even if it was a low-budget movie. I saw "The Tenant"late last year at Genesis Cinemas in Lagos and did enjoy the movie's storyline, direction and conciseness. That movie did not parade a popular star (not a single A- or B- list actor), involved few sets, had a small cast and obviously cost a fraction of Figurine. Yet it was worth watching - tells the story of Nigerians in Diaspora in relation to kpali/pale/papers and really does a good job of it. This was a movie that was produced two years before it was screened in Naija.

I also saw an interview done by Afolayan where he mentioned that 40% of the fees were recovered via endorsements. Silverbird Group, Miccom Golf course etc played a huge role though he had to factor in those benefits as costs and revenue. He obviously had done his homework well by deciding to follow the cinema route.

And to be honest, I have not seen the statistics on how many peeps went to see the film and if it was a commercial success, cos that will pave the way for others to toe Kunle's lead.

The statistics may not be out - Nigerians hate to give out data even about prices but the cinemas seem to be smiling to the banks. Only problem is Kunle Afolayan mentioned that the cinemas want to have a 60/40 or 50/50 deal in their favour against the 40/60 that he got when he screened his movie in UK. I guess they have realised their potentials.

Tunde Kelani released his latest work (Arugba) on a Monday and by Tuesday his work had been pirated. He is not the only one.

I am of the opinion that if the big business moguls - Dangote/Otedola/Mike Adenuga decide to venture into movie distribution, then piracy will suffer a monumental blow. They will surely move mountains to get the enabling legislations passed, enforcers adequately mobiliseda and Nollywood will take a soaring leap.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by safarigirl(f): 11:37pm On Oct 08, 2010
YOU GUYS HAVE TO GIVE THEM CREDIT, SURE THEY PRODUCE A LOT OF CRAP AND MOST OF THE TIME THE STORIES ARE PREDICTABLE, BUT IF YOU WATCH AMERICAN MOVIES CLOSELY THEIRS CAN ALSO BE PREDICTABLE 70% OF THE TIME, WE ALL KNOW THE HERO FALLS FOR THE WOMAN HE SAVED OR SOME OTHER CRAP OF THAT SORT OR THE GIRL WHO WAS LOOKED DOWN ON FINALLY GETS THE ATTENTION OF THE HOT DUDE, THEY ARE ALL PREDICTABLE, IT'S JUST HOW THE ROLES ARE EXECUTED THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.

ME THINKS SOME NAIJA MOVIES ARE FINALLY MAKING SENSE E.G FIGURINE, SILENT SCANDAL, IJE AND GUILTY PLEASURE: I BET NOBODY GUESSED GUILTY PLEASURE WUD END THE WAY IT DID ( I WAS LIKE "NO PART.2?"wink undecided undecided

GIVE 'EM SOME PROPS MEN AND IF YOU THINK THEY SUCK I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT QUALITY MOVIES DO BETTER, THAT'S IF YOU CAN GET ENUF MONEY TO PRODUCE ONE tongue tongue
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by WackyJ1(m): 3:03am On Oct 09, 2010
the hero falls for the girl he saved? Or some other crap? The 'some other crap' can be that it can in more than 20 different ways. But in Nollywood, its always the same. Nollywood films are simple and predictable, no sub-plots, clever twists, suspense e.t.c you don't need a lot of money to make a good film. Most os nollywoods films cannot match up to the films hollywood made over 40 years ago
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by eghost247(m): 8:59am On Oct 09, 2010
If the Indian Cinema industry rakes in an average of $1.3bn a year
If the US cinema industry raked in $10.65bn in 2009

Then we have the Canadian, British, French, Australian etc

Tell me how much the SECOND BIGGEST MOVIE IND (Nolly-who). made?? STIL NO ANSWER
COME ON DELETE THIS Post
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by WackyJ1(m): 4:52pm On Oct 09, 2010
seconded
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Kenyanstar: 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2010
@safarigirl
To say the least, Nigerian movies are disastrous to watch. Its an embarrassment and humiliating experience when my 8yr old nephew starts correcting the grammatical errors that this "un-professional" actors purport to be using. Just imagine watching a movie that has a poor plot, cast, storyline and lack of quality. It even gets worse when you end up loosing the theme of the movie before you are shown an endless episode of a single event that is inconsequential to the movie or should i say dram play. Back here the nigerian movies are mainly watched by illiterate and house-helps.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by BabaOnileK: 5:49am On Oct 12, 2010
Kenyanstar:

@safarigirl
To say the least, Nigerian movies are disastrous to watch. Its an embarrassment and humiliating experience when my 8yr old nephew starts correcting the grammatical errors that this "un-professional" actors purport to be using. Just imagine watching a movie that has a poor plot, cast, storyline and lack of quality. It even gets worse when you end up loosing the theme of the movie before you are shown an endless episode of a single event that is inconsequential to the movie or should i say dram play. Back here the nigerian movies are mainly watched by illiterate and house-helps.
Overgeneralisation seems to be your forte. While a vast majority seem to fall into the category you mentioned - there are others you need to see. I tend to look out for movies by reputable producers - Kunle Afolayan, Tunde Kelani, Tade Ogidan, Emem Isong and their films testify to the amount of work put in.

The claim that Western movies are much better is a hasty generalisation. Have you not heard of the Razzie awards that take place a night before Oscars? Its meant to lampoon low quality films in US.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by omar22(m): 10:33am On Oct 12, 2010
BUT IF YOU WATCH AMERICAN MOVIES CLOSELY THEIRS CAN ALSO BE PREDICTABLE 70% OF THE TIME

I BEG TO DIFFER,

Yes they do screen a written book (or covert a novel into movie)

Like Lords of the Ring, The Client and most of John Grisham books, so you probably know how it would end but the thrill of watching a master piece would put you in state of suspense about how its going to end,

Not a great fan of Nollywood but the most talked about IJE movie is yet to be release on DVD or CD (I dont know) given it enough time to take all it could take from the Cinema doors around the world, its been marketed properly
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by eghost247(m): 9:25am On Oct 15, 2010
Nollywood indeed

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by WackyJ1(m): 4:38pm On Oct 15, 2010
lol
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by vinooh: 1:08pm On Oct 21, 2010
dejahvu:

I think one of the major problems is
most of our Nollywood Movie producers are Ibo Business men out to make
money (apologies to the Ibo people I'm not insulting u people)
By the Time people like I and other posters on this thread get into the
Nigerian Movies industry for the Love of the Art of movie production then quality movies will roll out,
I'm going into Movies, so should u that have love for the game
boy instead of thanking this tribe( IGBO) for the foundation of move industry in Nigeria and congratulating them for journey sofar, u're there taking rubbish.anyway they dont even need ok

congratulations Nigeria move industry more grease to ur elbow
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Naijatunj: 1:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
Message to all those uninformed Nigerians criticising the Nigerian Film Industry because of the quality of its films. Go do your research and you will see
that Hollywood and Bollywood all started in the same manner producing poorly made films. It was only about 5 years ago that Bollywood was regarded with inferiority.
It has taken both the USA and India approx 100 years to evolve and develop their industries. Nollywood is only 20 years old and is still growing.
The important things is that there is a considerable base for which to work hence some Nigerians from the diaspora trained in film production are heading home to Nigeria (myself included)in order to help develop and grow the industry. Tunde Kelani said we have something remarkable which is Nigerian and that if we harness our skills and resources we can create an industry that can have a huge impact on Nigeria, Africa and the wider world. Already Black people allover the planet watch Nigerian films because in spite of the quality and content the films are still representing Black people, something Hollywood does no better than Nollywood. In fact so impactful has it been that several institutions such as Havard and other film industries are studying the Nollywood model. Even the West has seen the enormous potential of Nollywood and has realised that a well organised, developed film and TV could be turned into a billion dollar industry employing tens of thousands of people. Regardless of what the denigrators say about content or quality Nigeria produces nearly 2000 films a year. What is needed is a 4/5 year plan that will develop the Nigerian Film industry in areas of technical production, screen writing, distribution, marketing and branding. This is not difficult to do and the overall long term gains will far outweigh the initial investment. This is exactly what the United Arab Emirates is doing and they don't even have a film industry! I am amazed that private investment has not seen the benefits of this but equally unsurprised that neither has the Nigerian Government.

The Nigerian Film Industry needs encouragement and support from all Nigerians, but if you're one of those people whose cannot offer this or even constructive criticism then do the rest of us a favour. Keep quiet.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nollywood Honour Awards Organization Honor Different Film Makers In Asaba Delta / Alec Baldwin: Manslaughter Charges DROPPED After Fatal Movie Set Shooting / Doyin Evicted From The Big Brother Naija All Stars House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.