Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,121 members, 7,953,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:47 PM

Direct Allocation To The Councils (restructuring) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Direct Allocation To The Councils (restructuring) (264 Views)

FAAC Shares N676.40bn July Allocation To FG, States, Lgs / Minimum Wage: FG In Dilemma Over Inadequate Budgetary Allocation To Pay N30,000 / Ekiti 2018: FG Withholding Allocation To Favour Fayemi - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Direct Allocation To The Councils (restructuring) by raybaba97(m): 1:53pm On May 08, 2019
I will hate to say “I said so”. But I’ll say it anyway. I said so.

I have had several discussions with friends of mine and fellow intellectuals across the board, both residents of the urban centres and those from little villages; across several states. Discussing politics like every other thing within this somewhat hostile environment eventually lead to a discussion of the Nigerian pyramidal governmental system and how to solve the problem.

Like all discussions between intellectuals, we eventually started professing solutions to the problem topic. Everybody had their own ideas of how this will work out. However, a uniform point of contention to all discussed plans happened to be the most important of them all. We call it Local government autonomy.

It is no secret that much like the federal government had perfected direct rule from Abuja, state governments had also perfected direct rule from their respective capitals. We can all listen to state governments screaming their head off about autonomy; state police; fiscal independence etcetera. However, for me, this is merely Karma. After all, is it not these same states that have crippled their respective councils?

The truth is that these state governments (most of them anyway) have perverted the way governance is to be done. They appoint chairmen, councillors, supervisors, and etcetera. This is a contradiction and a betrayal of the 1999 constitution which guaranteed local autonomy.

Recent news trailing the federal government is a fiat-backed guarantee which ensures that the local councils will have full access to their own allocations from the federal government without the possibility of hijack by the state governments. This is good news, in fact its great news. By allowing accountability on the local level, corruption within the civil service can be checked to certain extents.

The people can directly hold their council chairmen and councillors responsible for any mismanagement of funds as opposed to the old practice where the state governor is not within the peoples reach. All council chairmen are generally forced to live within the council, this means that any mess up can be dealt with by the people directly.

Naturally, this is not the final step in making Nigeria a working system again, not even close. But I do believe this is a step in the right direction. It is shocking that this act took us all by surprise, and it is demonstrative of the decadence within our nation where we find out months ahead that “Federal government plans to prosecute *****” yet such important legislation barely made the front page.

Whether you are a critic of this government or even an unpatriotic piece of Sh**, we can all agree that should this work out. They got this one right.

(1) (Reply)

Mother Sells Baby For N600,000 To Buy Phone, Wrapper / *obaseki Will Not Sacrifice Edo’s Collective Patrimony For A Few Persons’ Insati / Akeredolu Seeks To Boost State IGR Through Legal Marijuana Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.