Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect (9730 Views)

Africa Needs Visionary Leadership - Buhari / Osinbajo Growing Campaign: Tinubu Camp Fumes Over Buhari’s Silence / Insecurity: Buhari’s Silence Worries Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by nairavsdollars(f): 6:48am On May 09, 2019
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Ahead of the inauguration of the 9th National Assembly in June, the All Progressives Congress (APC) members-elect of the Senate and House of Representatives are worried by President Muhammadu Buhari’s apparent silence on the ongoing struggle for the leadership of the legislative chambers.

Some of the lawmakers-elect, who spoke with Daily Independent in confidence, said given the bitter experience of 2015, they had expected the president to have met all the contenders and spoken with them on the need to respect the position of the party.

While the ruling APC has endorsed Senator Ahmad Lawan, the current Senate Leader as its preferred choice for the position of Senate President, Ali Ndume, his predecessor, who represents Borno South, and Danjuma Goje, from Gombe State, have since declared their intention to contest the same position.

The APC national leadership had also zoned the position of Speaker of the House of Representatives to the South West and endorsed Femi Gbajabiamila from Lagos for the position. But some lawmakers from North Central are protesting the decision.

While it was gathered that Goje had said he would wait for directives from President Buhari before making his decision whether to back out of the race or proceed with it, Ndume on his part said nobody had asked him to withdraw from the race.

Speaking to journalists in Lagos, Ndume stated that there was no time the APC officially asked him not to run for the position, adding that he consulted widely with a lot of party leaders in APC and none had asked him to withdraw for anyone.

He said even the national chairman of APC, Adams Oshiomhole, said the party leaders only recommended Lawan as their preferred choice and were not trying to impose him on the senators.

“I don’t expect the president to take sides with anybody. The president has never interfered in the electoral process. The party has only recommended Lawan. If the party decides wrongly, I will not follow the party. Nobody has said to me ‘don’t do it’. I have not heard otherwise.

“I consulted widely before I made my intention public. I consulted President Muhammadu Buhari; the national leader of the party, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and other leaders of our party and they gave me their blessings. I am in Lagos in continuation of that consultation.

“I am encouraged by the feedback. I wrote a letter to the party to inform them of my intention. So far, nobody has told me to suspend my aspiration because they know that doing so will amount to denial of my constitutional rights,” he said.

Speaking with Daily Independent, one of the senators-elect from the South-West said from the way things were going, the mistakes made by the party in 2015, which led to the coup plot that produced Bukola Saraki and Yakubu Dogara, may repeat itself.

He said: “I am beginning to get worried by the way things are going. Honestly, I think the leadership of the party and Mr. President are not giving this issue the attention it deserves.

“We expected that this issue will be one of the major things the president will address upon his return to the country. But since Mr. President returned on Sunday, he is yet to meet with the gladiators.

“I read the report by Ndume that since he informed APC leaders, including Mr. President and Asiwaju Tinubu, nobody has told him to withdraw from the race. That is not good enough. Also, Goje said he is waiting for directive from Mr. President and right now, I don’t think that directive has been given.

“I think, based on his experience in the last four years in the hands of the leadership of the National Assembly, the president should be more decisive and meet with the gladiators. Nothing should be left to chance.”

His position was also shared by another lawmaker from the North-West who said the plot by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) senators to cause an upset like they did in 2015 was real.

“I believe it is time for the leadership of the APC, including Mr. President, to talk with the other contestants both in the Senate and House of Representatives. He is very much respected and I believe the likes of Ndume and Goje will listen to him.

“On our part, we understand some APC lawmakers are conniving with some rebels to go against the party’s wish. That is why we are insisting on open voting where every lawmaker will queue behind the candidate of his choice. On that day, the whole world will see you and see who you voted for.

“If that happens, many of the members will comply because they will not want to be seen as traitors. I think the PDP knows the implication of this and that is why they are insisting on secret ballot. That cannot stand,” he said.

However, another ranking senator from the North-East said he believes the president was working underground on the issues and it would be resolved even before the end of May.

According to him, “It is wrong for them to say the president is not working to resolve the issue just because we haven’t seen his pictures with Goje or Ndume, or the media was not invited.

“What if he had talked with them on phone? I believe negotiations are ongoing and the president is very much interested because he needs a National Assembly leadership that will be on the same page with him in delivering his Next Level agenda”.

Also, the APC said it was in support of the open ballot system, saying only those with hidden agenda would clamour for the secret ballot system.

The APC’s National Publicity Secretary, Lanre Issa-Onilu, said: “Secret ballot is not known to any democratic practice. It is only people with hidden agenda that look for secret ballot anywhere. If you believe in something you should be able to stand for it.”
https://www.independent.ng/buharis-silence-worries-apc-lawmakers-elect/

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by hisexcellency34: 6:53am On May 09, 2019
Tinubu is a fool.Twice bitten, twice shy. Buhari is not really supporting Lawan and Gbajabiamila because he believes they are Tinubu's people. Someone said he is secretly supporting Ndume.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by JudasNaCarrot: 6:53am On May 09, 2019
This evil party APC is full of "katakata". A party that had never been organized from day one, came to power by crook or hook and does not know what to do with same power since 2015.

Buhari.....Politically naive, stupid and push and start President.

Oshomole.....Tyrannical, vindictive and runs the party like his personal estate.

Tinubu.....Cunning,tyrannical,super corrupt, too much quest for power, stupidly foolish.

Amaechi.....Tyrannical, super corrupt,talks without bearing, killer,foolishly stupid.

Okorocha.....Tyrannical, idiotic, Iberiberism induced, supper corrupt, runs state party like his personal estate.

Fashola.....Confused and enveloped by darkness. No remedy!

El Rufai.....Evil,satanic, killer,confusionist, ethnic manipulator and cleanser, drug user, stupidly wicked. Straight to Hell fire.

Lai Mohammed.....Record breaker in the art of propaganda and lies. No remedy.

Zombies should argue with their useless Glo data.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by nzeobi(m): 6:59am On May 09, 2019
APC is not a cult so members who wants to test their popularity should be allowed.

I don't know why Oshiomole and his cohorts wants to impose their opinions on others.

3 Likes

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Racoon(m): 7:20am On May 09, 2019
The law makers should better take their destiny into their own hands as anything Buhari touches goes from bad to worst.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Nobody: 7:27am On May 09, 2019
How Tinubu thought Buhari and his inner men, would let the NASS go to his boys baffles me.

And look at how early they came up with their choices.

Something they could have left till the end of May before the party comes up with its choice.

Then there won't be much time realignments like is happening now. Or why do you think PDP is not letting anything out it's bag yet?

Tinubu is just another sophisticated mor*n Abeg.

Elrufai has his own candidate and that's the one Buhari will support. QED.

I hope PDP is taking note.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by hisexcellency34: 7:28am On May 09, 2019
Dude is blinded by lust to rule Nigeria in 2023

Awol1:
How Tinubu thought Buhari and his inner men, would let the NASS go to his boys baffles me.

And look at how early they came up with their choices.

Something they could have left till the end of May before the party comes up with its choice.

Then there won't be much time realignments like is happening now. Or why do you think PDP is not letting anything out it's bag yet?

Tinubu is just another sophisticated mor*n Abeg.

Elrufai has his own candidate and that's the one Buhari will support. QED.

I hope PDP is taking note.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Nbote(m): 7:30am On May 09, 2019
Now dey know exactly how Nigerians feel... Dats exactly how he's been silent on d plight of Nigerians

4 Likes

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Nobody: 7:44am On May 09, 2019
The Secret ballot is best... we all accept voters choice to be discreet during general elections but want another form of election open.

Hypocrisy..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by izombie(m): 8:01am On May 09, 2019
Why are they worried when they know buhari hasn't been told what to say or do? Buhari is waiting for a written speech so that he can say something. Mtchheeeew

6 Likes

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Flyingngel(m): 8:02am On May 09, 2019
Like others has already said, there is no how the cabal will allow Tinubu to control the National Assembly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by nairaproject: 8:59am On May 09, 2019
Please let allow this old man rest. He has nothing to say. He is not a legislator.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Nairalandmentor(m): 8:59am On May 09, 2019
grin
Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by madilyn88: 8:59am On May 09, 2019
buhari nawa ooo
Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Adensamyt: 8:59am On May 09, 2019
Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by rawtouch: 9:01am On May 09, 2019
femi or Garba will speak on his behalf..
Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Nobody: 9:01am On May 09, 2019
El Rufia is speaking for buhari and the cabals

3 Likes

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by Benekruku(m): 9:01am On May 09, 2019
Buhari is a confirmed Mafia

Never talk when you expect him to and talks when you least expect him to.

The guy using military calculations to run his government

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by marsha92: 9:04am On May 09, 2019
i need to change country abegi
Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by miztasokid(m): 9:08am On May 09, 2019
WHO IS DISTINGUISHED SENATOR AHMAD LAWAN?

Senator Ahmad Lawan is A seasoned educationist, an erudite scholar, pragmatic realist, prodigious legislator with 20 years’ experience in the House of Representative and Senate.

He is currently a Distinguished Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and has also won election to be in the 9th Senate to be inaugurated in June.

Born on 12th January, 1959, Senator Ahmad Lawan attended Sabon Gari Primary School, Gashu'a between 1967 and 1974, where he obtained his first school leaving certificate.

He proceeded to Government Secondary School, Gashua in 1974, where he obtained the West Africa School Certificate (WASC) in 1979.

Between 1980 and 1984, Senator Ahmad Lawan attended University of Maiduguri in Borno State and bagged a Bachelors Degree in Geography

Senator Lawan heed the call for national service by service in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) between 1984 and 1985

Senator Lawan heed the call for national service by service in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) between 1984 and 1985

Senator Lawan moved to the Department of Geography at the University of Maiduguri as a lecturer and at the same time a Research fellow at the Centre for Arid Zones Studies at the University of Maiduguri,
Centre for Arid Zone Studies.

Between 1989 and 1990, while service serving as Lecturer in the university, Senator Lawan pursued his Post Graduate Diploma in Land Surveying at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

In 1991 and 1996 respectively, Senator Lawan bagged his Masters of Science Degree in Remote Sensing and Doctor of Philosophy in geographic Information System and Remote Sensing at Cranfied University, United Kingdom

Senator Lawan began his political career in Yobe State and served as the Vice Chairman of the defunct All Peoples Party, Yobe State chapter between 1998 and 1999.

He then served as the Secretary, Electoral Committee of the party at the APP National Convention, Abuja in 1999. In the same year, he elected a member of the House of Representatives; Member, APP, NEC, Representing North East

During his first tenure in the House of Representatives, he served as Deputy Chairman House Committee on Environment - 1999-2001 and Deputy Chairman House Committee on Gas Resources between 2001 and 2003

Senator Ahmad Lawan was reelected into the House of Reps in 2003 where he served in committees including
Chairman, House Committee on Agriculture
Chairman, House Committee on Education
Member Joint Parliamentary Assembly, ACP/EU, Representing House of Representatives

As a result of his sterling performance in the House of Representatives, His constituents felt the need to elevate him to the Senate to better represent them. He was then elected a senator of the upper legislative chamber in 2003.

Upon assuming office as a Senator, he chaired Senate Public Accounts Committee (SPAC) - 2007-2011.
Served as Member, Senate Constitution Review Committee - 2007- 2011.
In 2009, Senator Lawan was the President West Africa Association of Public Accounts Committees (WAAPAC)

Senator Ahmad Lawan was in 2011 re-elected Senator Representing Yobe North in the National Assembly and was re-appointed Chairman Senate Public Accounts Committee (SPAC), a position he held until 2015.

Between 2011 and 2015, he served as the Secretary, Northern Senators Forum (NSF) and as Chairman of Nigeria Association of Public Accounts Committees (NAPAC) between 2013 and 2015.

He was Chairman AD-Hoc Committee on the Investigation of The Privatization and Commercialization Activities of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) and Member APC National Executive Committee (NEC), Representing North East APC Senators

For the third time in a row, Senator Lawan was Re-Elected Senator.

Between 2015 and 2017, he served as Chairman Senate Committee on Defence
Till date, he is the Chairman Ad-Hoc Committee on the Investigation of Clashes between the Islamic Movement in Nigeria and the Nigerian Army

He was appointed the Leader of the Senate and Member, Governing Council, National Institute of Legislative Studies (NILDS). He is serving in both positions till date.

From 2018 till date, Senator Lawan
Became Chairman, Senate Ad-Hoc Committee to Review the current Security Infrastructure of the Country.
Chairman, Senate Ad-Hoc Committee to Investigate The Application Of $3.5 billion Petroleum Subsidy by NNPC andSubsidy Recovery Application.

Apart from his educational qualifications, Senator Ahmad Lawan also has a lot of certifications to is credit. They include;

Certificate of Honour from Nigerian Universities Surveying Students’ Association, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Branch

Others are Certificate on Ecology & Environment, Mattivi Consult Nigeria

Certificate on Desertification & Environmental Conservation Management, Abuja

Certificate of Achievement from the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and USAID

Certificate of Award for Participating in the 5thInternational Symposium on Environmental Geotechnology & Global Sustainable Development in Brazil

Certificate course on Oil Pollution & Environmental Management, House Committee on Environment National Assembly

Senator Lawan also has to his credit:

Certificate course on Petroleum Economics, Okoume Palace Intercontinental, Libreville Gabon.
Certificate course on “Fundamentals of Petroleum Industry Economics” Centre for Energy Studies, Louisiana State University

Certificate on Agriculture and National Development (National Assembly Abuja).

Certificate of attendance on a five (5) day orientation Programme on Legislature. National Assembly Abuja

Certificate of Achievement on World Wide Solutions, RESTON, VA, USA

Senator Ahmad Lawan has bagged numerous awards as a result of his good works and contribution to National Development.

Some of the awards include:

Achievement Award on Sixty (60) most active Legislators of this dispensation National Assembly Abuja

Best Performing Senator in Yobe State, 2009, by the Yobe State Students Association, UNIABUJA Chapter.

Best Senator, 2011, by the Baseline Global Venture.

onferment with the Title of ( DAN MASANIN BADE), by the Mai Bade of the Bade Emirate Council

Conferment of Fellowship, by the Institute for Government Research & Leadership Technology

Saurduna Legendary Pillar of Exemplary Leadership

Award, by the Leadership & Role Model Foundation of Nigeria

National Honours Award Commander of the order of Niger (CON)

Conferred with the Title GALADIMA PULAKU by the Mi-Yetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, Yobe Branch

Award as Longest Serving Parliamentarian by the Senate Press Corp

Distinguish Senator Ahmad Lawan has for the fourth time been re-elected as a Senator Of The Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Yobe State and by the special grace of God, will be elected the PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE OF THE 9TH @nassnigeria

1 Like

Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by anytexy: 9:26am On May 09, 2019
nairaproject:
Please let allow this old man rest. He has nothing to say. He is not a legislator.
I tireoo! I thought we are running federal system of government. Where separation of power is up hold. I don't understand some elite Nigerians at times . Even if Bubu has a candidate, he is not suppose to make it public
Re: NASS Leadership: Buhari’s Silence Worries APC Lawmakers-elect by hisexcellency34: 9:28am On May 09, 2019
Zombie, so you don't know the NASS leadershipis central to how he performs?

nairaproject:

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fresh Controversy As Bribery Allegations Rock Akwa Ibom National Assembly Poll T / Popular Israeli Prophet Reveals What Will Happen To Nnamdi Kanu Before December / Breaking News: Abia State Govt. Bans Peace Corps Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.