Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,997 members, 7,814,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Pidgin To Become A Formal Language - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin To Become A Formal Language (8513 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Some Nigerian Proverbs – In PIDGIN / Nigerian Pidgin English as Our National Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Bankong: 9:48pm On Sep 23, 2010
E don tay wel wel ! na the best thing sha !
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Kilode1: 9:55pm On Sep 23, 2010
occam:

if pidgin becomes one of the international language for business, you may see emails like this grin pdgin translators will be in great demand

To: Sam Igbokuwenu
Subject: Timba wood supply

Igbanu Sam,

Abeg you fit supply man pinkin 10,000 planks of timba wood by next month. Bico, yarn me when my container go arrive New York port. Reply me chap! chap!

Charles White
New York Commodity Merchant

grin grin

E go tey before Oyibo go tear eye understand that one o!
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by anayoe(m): 10:06pm On Sep 23, 2010
Waoh sounds so good
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by smile11s(m): 11:58pm On Sep 23, 2010
if to say one thing no do one thing, we suppose don do am official tey tey, but, as something don do one thing na, e come be like say e never late. From hood, the language waka enter streets, from streets e enter work, church. later on, e no rest, e come enter music, movies, tv, radio, sotey our president dey use am address us now; 'my fellow naija people, I dey hail una o'

I like the language sha, dem chicks for here dey like am when we dey speak am. them say na sexy language. sexy ke? na dem sabi jo!
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by EvilBrain1(m): 12:28am On Sep 24, 2010
lonewolf:

Languages develop over time. Pidgin English is variation of English language, an amalgam of many languages. That it is being recognised is a good thing. I can't understand why people would be of the inclination that it corrupts 'proper' English. That's not a credible argument.

Anybody who knows black history will appreciate pidgin English, just as they would patois or creole. People who don't appreciate the language generally do not know their history.

It's funny how people talk of "standard" or "queen's" english as if such a thing really exists. As far as I know nobody in England except the Queen and BBC newsreaders speaks queen's english. Everyone else speaks one local dialect or the other just like us Nigerians.
And BTW nobody speaks standard english in Nigeria. Our politicians try (and usually fail) to speak what I like to call "NTA Abuja" english, Chris Okotie speaks "look at me, I finished secondary school!" english, and the common people speak pidgin.

English by the way is a mish-mash of pidgin germanic, pidgin latin and whatever celtic language the britons spoke before the roman conquest. And French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are just diffenent variants of pidgin Latin.

In the olden days in Europe, Latin was the high language used by governments, schools and the church while the languages the commoners spoke (English, French, etc) were considered vulgar (the catholics are actually still doing this nomsense). And now in Naija, English has become the new Latin.

Its funny how history repeats itself.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Dozita(m): 12:37am On Sep 24, 2010
Pidgin to become a formal language- long overdue. Pidgin to become national language- not good. Its a good idea to study the language,standardize it, and build a body of knowledge on its history,structure and dialects. Quite likely there's been more work done on dog linguistics than on nigerian pidgin which is spoken by millions. However,adopting it as a national language or teaching it in schools is just ridiculous in my opinion. Reading pidgin (even the stuff written on this thread) is hard labour and it has a very limited vocabulary completely bereft of technical words. I think it should be 'formalized' and left to remain what it is- an auxillary language we communicate in when standard english proves difficult or uncomfortable for us.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by asunaobi(m): 1:06am On Sep 24, 2010
We are waking up slowly slowly!
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by uyaiyen: 1:51am On Sep 24, 2010
this pidgin enghlise na wetin we need to unify naija
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by uyaiyen: 1:57am On Sep 24, 2010
grin just imagine say if you enter naija no matter where you are from,just carry dey yan pidgin,even oyinbo people like our pidgin how much more other african country,this kind sugeestion jonathan go welcom am well well,cos wen bros the yan english ,em they get pidgin english accent, abi i lie.make una go listen to jonathan speech again and again,you go sabi say na true. make pidgin dey like patuar.and make the whole world dey use am identify us.naija 4 live
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by kosovo(m): 4:25am On Sep 24, 2010
i dont know, but it's kinda lame! There are so many pidgin slang's, how dem one take blend all of them??
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Nobody: 4:27am On Sep 24, 2010
Yoruba would make a better Formal Language.

It's widely spoken. . . . Even Hausa man dey enjoy am tongue tongue
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by stkris(m): 4:47am On Sep 24, 2010
uhhm. . formal language?? the prospect of that might sound exciting, but the true beauty of speaking pidgin
lies in the ability to do so however the heck u want.

Take that freedom and flexibilty; put it in a confined structure with 'standardized' set of rules.

now there you have it; another soulless language ridden with conformity.

the main yarn na say, when i siddon dey blow my pidgin how i like, i for no like any oversabi to tel me which 1 be which.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ChinenyeN(m): 5:22am On Sep 24, 2010
st-kris, not necessarily. Pidgin already has its own set of rules, which allow for communication, and the initiative to formalize it won't be tampering with those set of rules. Instead, the only actual job at hand for formalizing it is properly codifying it. So there's nothing to really worry about on that end.

kosovo, so yu wan come tell us se na common yan no de?
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Stonnydrey(m): 6:31am On Sep 24, 2010
Pigdin suppose don bcom Formal Language since when i dey small, wey my parents go dey force person speak English wey i no sabi den, Omo, I too gbadun am, nomore Oyinbo oooooooooooo
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by sulad82i(m): 7:19am On Sep 24, 2010
not a bad idea. hope it happens in my lifetime
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by rasputinn(m): 8:27am On Sep 24, 2010
How dem go make pidgin formal language,na this kain misdo dey make me para-provoke and para-annoyed.
Ah ah,whish levels,we no go gree o we no go gree,,,,,,,,,

But wait o bros,wetin be formal language again ooooo undecided undecided
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by djcrucifix(m): 9:15am On Sep 24, 2010
pidgin wey don become official language since before before, na today?
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ozenyen(m): 9:38am On Sep 24, 2010
i tell you, with dis one no bodi go fail Waec, Neco and JAmb again. becos every bodi go understand wetin the teacher dey yan. i know say na many teachers go happy pass. see grove!!!!
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by crackhouse(m): 10:06am On Sep 24, 2010
no comment pls. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ezeagu(m): 3:07pm On Sep 24, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Common Pidgin. Even, I think it [common pidgin] is relatively the same for West Africa, in general. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

There isn't a common Pidgin, it's just that generally the varieties aren't much different, but they differ sometimes completely in some other forms. Like in Lagos lot's of people use words like 'Shebi', and in the East words like 'Okwa' is used. Which word would be added to the dictionary, both?

A lot of pidgin is from Sierra Leone and Jamaica, an everyday Nigerian wouldn't be able to understand Sierra Leone Creole. In Ghana they obviously have words like 'Charlae' and 'pa', etc. Not to talk of Northern Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, etc.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by kelwheezy(m): 3:25pm On Sep 24, 2010
grin grin grin grin LWKMD4H, LOL if to say na just mi, i for dey yarn am anyhow bcoz nobodi 4 dey here to judge mi, wink pidgin na the language we dey  sweet belle die! papa and mama dey enjoy am welu welu, if no be dis awa sweet lingua, pipl lyk 2baba 4 no dey sing na, okay, now compare 2baba and any other muzxian  4 Afrika, mek we knw hu sabi sing pass, grin grin abeg mek dem quick do am jare, i no fit wait!! wink wink
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ezeagu(m): 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
We all know that no Nigerian parent in their right Nigerian mind is sending their kids to school to learn Pidgin English, people are struggling to get parents to allow them to teach their kids natural traditional languages, it's pidgin they'll send them to school to learn?
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ChinenyeN(m): 3:44pm On Sep 24, 2010
So that's the problem? Don't dictionaries contain synonyms, anymore? Honestly, I don't believe there should even be a question of which word to use. Aside from that, speakers always dictate the flow of their yarn. No dictionary can restrict a language, especially one as adaptive as pidgin.

Also, maybe I should have been clearer. When I said "common pidgin", I was referring to the idea of some kind of generality among varieties (whether or not those from, say the east can effectively communicate with those from the west) and not necessarily to the existence of a standard variety. My mistake for the misunderstanding.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by PhysicsQED(m): 8:33pm On Sep 24, 2010
Bad idea, really. Pidgin is really only a practical language and is not capable of expressing the same range of sentiments as standard english, and is not able to express what it can artistically or beautifully. Also, it is very far from appropriate for many formal events (imagine doing wedding vows in pidgin or a pastor speaking pidgin at a funeral). So if it were made a language, it would be spoken even more than it already is, or even worse, taught, resulting in a lower quality of literature, and more simplistic phrasing, but worst of all, a weaker ability to manipulate and express oneself beautifully or creatively or intellectually in the standard language. Remember that most people think in their first language. If a child's first language is pidgin, how great of a writer, poet, orator (think of Obama, not dead Roman senators), etc. could he really be? In addition, many Nigerians that already make lots of simple grammatical mistakes would make even more.

Just my opinion.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 24, 2010
^^Yet it is a very clever opinion.
The main issue here is that most people are assessing this issue as it personally affects them. That is they are comfortable speaking Broken. But it will[b] NEVER EVER HAPPEN. [/b]

Pidgin does not even deserve to be called a language as it is just a collection of informal street slang taken from English, French and vernacular.
Maybe some people here actually would presently list Broken as one of their spoken languages! It is meant strictly for short, informal street conversations.

What is truly laughable is that some supposedly busy academics found the time to debate this nonsensical issue.

Nevertheless the replies on this thread do show that Nigeria has yet to develop a reading culture as opposed to an oral culture. It is in literature that the real breadth, versatility, power and beauty of a language is made manifest and appreciated.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ezeagu(m): 12:26am On Sep 25, 2010
ChinenyeN:

So that's the problem? Don't dictionaries contain synonyms, anymore? Honestly, I don't believe there should even be a question of which word to use. Aside from that, speakers always dictate the flow of their yarn. No dictionary can restrict a language, especially one as adaptive as pidgin.

Also, maybe I should have been clearer. When I said "common pidgin", I was referring to the idea of some kind of generality among varieties (whether or not those from, say the east can effectively communicate with those from the west) and not necessarily to the existence of a standard variety. My mistake for the misunderstanding.

Pidgin English is too variable, and can't be standardised. If 'speakers always dictate the flow of their yarn' then you can't create a dictionary telling someone in Eastern Nigeria that another way to ask a question in pidgin is to use 'shebi', it's not part of their pidgin experience which means it can't be a synonym for them.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by ChinenyeN(m): 3:09am On Sep 25, 2010
No formalization of pidgin then, I guess. . . The whole thing could've been cool too. Oh well.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Ejike3: 8:13am On Sep 25, 2010
Pidgin na recognized yan since tey tey.
No be pidgin 'Yooh' dey take flow for Wazobia FM wey dey Lagos?
Abi no be same pidgin 'JohnKennedy' take dey yan tory for Capital FM wey dey Abuja?
Wetin some ppl dey yan so?
Pidgin na country man language jo.

There is creativity in pidgin English, a sentence could me made in so many ways using pidgin.
Make I no lie,
Imagine seeking for admission in higher institutions and the 'O'Level requirement is 5 credits in relevant subjects including Pidgin English and Maths.
Imagine the possibility of seeking for employment in Wazobia FM and the requirement is a Bsc in Pidgin English or its equivalent from a recognized Nigerian institution.
Imagine the possibility of BBC world (pidgin service)
Imagine the possibility of pidgin English generation,
it begins with you.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by TmeD0(m): 8:52am On Sep 25, 2010
me i no gbadun the idea of creating a curriculum for pidgin english wey the translation go dey easily accessible worldwide.

how pesin wan yan amebo talk wey oyinbo or akata dem no go fit understand again now?

abeg, make dem fashy the idea jo. . .as e be say na our only secret weapon for conversation be dat o.
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by Okijajuju1(m): 9:04am On Sep 25, 2010
As much as I think Pidgin should be encouraged, I dont think it should be formalized!!

I dont even think it can be formalized cos it varies from one state to another in Nigeria with only the basics being the same.

That said, the only way wey we govment fit make this pidgin to favour we all na for them to start to dey do many things for pidgin! When we all be tar-tar those days, them been dey read 7 O'clock news for pidgin after dem don read am for grammer finish! Anyway sha, if govment wan do this pidgin thing to follow for part of our dialect, make them make sure say dem put age ban for untop as e dey for cigar. Make only people wey don complete secondary school pass english language with C+ fit speak the broken!! Becos pikin wey ehn hand never strong for drivin motor, dem no dey gree am reverse motor for express!

Naija I dey hail O!! grin

Oboy to type this pidgin hard pass JAMB!! grin
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by cooltobex(m): 2:32pm On Sep 25, 2010
well, the truth of the matter be say make dem just leave am the way e dey, make e just be ordinary street yan, no need for formalization.
e no go good at all!
Re: Pidgin To Become A Formal Language by jmslimx(m): 11:13pm On Sep 27, 2010
make una no mind all this people wey dey theif 9ja money, see waitin dem for don do tay tay tay, well make we see because na paper and biro plenty for this country pass

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Contest For The Most Beautiful Girl On Nairaland / Afro American Migration To The Motherland / The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.