Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Pastors'tithes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastors'tithes (162 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pastors'tithes by doclatom(m): 8:17am On May 11, 2019
Please, I need clarification on this pertinent question gnawing away at my mind every now and then. Who do these pastors and bishops pay their own supposed tithes to? Is it not to their own ministries and by and large to themselves?
In the old testament where we see examples of tithing, we see two formats. The one done by Abraham and the one received by the Levites. The Levites were ordained to receive the Israelites tithes and those tithes were EXPECTED EVERY FOUR YEARS or so. Aside from that, all other things the Levites enjoyed were from OFFERINGS and sacrifices for purification or forgiveness of sins. As for Abraham's tithe, it wasn't attached to a clear pattern and he was only recorded to have done it once. Now, the Levites were not paying tithes.
If these present pastors consider themselves as "Levites" of our time, how come they are paying tithes? Aren't they supposed to be exempted as well? Or they say they "pay" it just to ginger followers into paying theirs? And of these pastors pay it, is it not to themselves they pay it to?
There's more emphasis on GIVING than TITHING in Christ's teachings. If anyone says you should bring 10% of your money every month, I feel he's exploiting you using that principle of tithing as outlined in the Bible. Tithes weren't monthly. It was once every four years. And Abrahamic tithe was even once in his lifetime as records say.
Why can't the pastors just emphasise on giving and the blessings that follow it rather than hiding behind tithing to fleece followers. Because even the pastors are flouting the ordinance of tithing as exemplified by the Levites. The Levites didn't pay tithes. If you say you are a present day Levite and you pay tithe, you flout the rule of tithing. God isn't interested in you going overboard to please Him(As Saul tried to do), rather He wants simple obedience. The Bible says if you want to live by the ORDINANCES OF THE LAW and you keep to it 99% of the time and fail in 1% of the time, you have TRANSGRESSED. That's how strict the LAW is.
Maybe people should just give whatever they can afford as exemplified by the poor widow and the rest in the new testament. Jesus even commended the poor widow for her selflessness. If you decide to make your giving 50% of your salary, your choice. If you decide to make it 10%, your choice. If you decide to make it 1%, your choice as well. And, believe me, you'll receive blessings from God whichever way you choose to do it. If you decide not to even pay your gifts to pastors or churches but to the poor and destitute, God will also infinitely bless you.
I feel the pastors are using an old testament ORDINANCE to milk their members while they THEMSELVES are actually not following the rules of tithing to the last letter.

I'm open to correction on this.

(1) (Reply)

The Believer Can Never Go To Hell / Register For Free To Receive The Audio 30 Days Marriage Teachings For Free . / Register For Free To Receive 30 Days Audio Marriage Teachings For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.