Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,905 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? (1653 Views)

Are Kids Easily Distracted? The Stress Is Over With These Learning Games For Kid / Are Kids Losing Creative Expression To Academic Pressure? How To Balance The Two / Aerial View Of Ahmadu Bello University — Naturally Ahead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 1:54pm On May 11, 2019
We bet many times you’ve been intrigued by how so much your kid loves cartoon programmes. It gets even weirder for you when you notice the child sometimes gets distracted when his or her favourite cartoon shows is on the tv – even if they’re just about having their meal or in the middle of doing their homework.

Okay, so sometimes you remember you were once like that back then as a child too, but that awareness still doesn’t really solve the mystery for you.

Truth is, there’s really no mystery to it. It’s just similar to the way men are typically glued to football matches and programmes on tv and women are attached to soap operas. Cartoons are all about fun and children love fun and hate ‘boring.’

Actually, most people, regardless of their age, don’t like being bored. It’s especially so with children as they are always seeking something new, different and fun. They easily get bored and prefer varieties and fast-moving activities that’ll get them laughing and giggling, even if it’s a learning activity.

Of course, as children grow their unique personalities will start shining through, but most of them always want to do something fun. In essence, cartoons always have an element of fun, whether the animation is educational or simply for pleasure; and kids, as a result, find cartoons more fun.

Besides, cartoons are more of fantasy programmes than reality. This sits well with the child’s idea of the world, as really, they don’t know much about life and the world, outside of their home and school.

Still on the subject of fantasy, cartoon show makers like to create a futuristic setting, and this in so many ways mirror the way kids set out with their imaginations. Unlike movies or serials for adults, the superhero always has a solution to all problems and supervillains. This is the ideal world in the imagination of children.

Thirdly, just like kids, most cartoons are about innocent stories. No stories or focus on hardships of real life, of heartbreaks and disappointments, of bitter dramas and facts.

Many cartoon programmes communicate the idea of an innocent world of kind people who get rewarded for their deeds, and superheroes who consistently thwart the evil plans of villains and save the day for a happily ever life for everyone. These are what kids can relate to, hence their attraction to cartoons.

Also, the way cartoon characters are drawn, plus the technical effects fascinate kids a lot. The storylines are, in addition, a big magnet for children, especially with the suspenseful and adventurous twists and turn with the main characters (the superheroes and supervillains) in the centre of it all.

Add all of these to the vivid colours (children naturally love colours), playful or action voices, and theme songs and you’ll see why animated shows capture the hearts of children. Now, you understand why your kid easily remembers and often hums the title songs of his or her favourite cartoon shows?

Another factor is that cartoons are becoming quite interactive these days, particularly educational ones like the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show. The aim is to provide learning with fun, while engaging children to be part of the show. Children are drawn to activities that combine learning, fun and interaction.

So, until your kid becomes a young adult, you may not be able to separate them from their beloved cartoon programmes. Actually, some never grow out of their love for cartoons and still secretly enjoy it as adults (like yours truly. Lol). Hey, who says cartoons are for kids only anyway!?

http://theischooler.com/2019/05/11/why-are-kids-naturally-drawn-to-cartoons/

Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 2:11pm On May 11, 2019
Hi Lalasticlala, let's all learn some fun facts.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 11, 2019
We bet many times you’ve been intrigued by how so much your kid loves cartoon programmes. It gets even weirder for you when you notice the child sometimes gets distracted when his or her favourite cartoon shows is on the tv – even if they’re just about having their meal or in the middle of doing their homework.
Not all kids as buttress by you as there are many kids that loves movies and football
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 11, 2019
Truth is, there’s really no mystery to it. It’s just similar to the way men are typically glued to football matches and programmes on tv and women are attached to soap operas.
Not all men and women as opined by you there are exceptions.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by LuciferAkbar: 2:23pm On May 11, 2019
Are they drawn to Boondocks & Family Guy?

Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2019
asuustrike1:

Not all kids as buttress by you as there are many kids that loves movies and football

Every child loves cartoons. Please show me one (especially under 7) that doesn't. Cartoons resonate with their nature. What were you watching as a child? Star Wars?
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 2:28pm On May 11, 2019
asuustrike1:

Not all men and women as opined by you there are exceptions.

I wrote "typically" in the line you quoted and that already answered your query. Typically means "not all." I thought that was self-explanatory.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 2:31pm On May 11, 2019
LuciferAkbar:
Are they drawn to Boondocks & Family Guy?

Hahahaha. cheesy Bondocks,The Family Guys, The Simpsons, haba those are x-rated and not for kids. I guess that's why they're never licensed for kid's channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney Channels. You'll only find those adult cartoons on Fox Life.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 11, 2019
TheiSchooler:

Every child loves cartoons. Please show me one (especially under 7) that doesn't. Cartoons resonate with their nature. What were you watching as a child? Star Wars?
My kids don't like cartoon and I didn't watch it when growing up hence a flaw in your assertion
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 11, 2019
TheiSchooler:

I wrote "typically" in the line you quoted and that already answered your query. Typically means "not all." I thought that was self-explanatory.
Why don't you edit your work by including that phrase.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 3:22pm On May 11, 2019
asuustrike1:

My kids don't like cartoon and I didn't watch it when growing up hence a flaw in your assertion

Lol. Whatever feeds your ego, even if it's a blatant lie. Done entertaining your distractions. cool
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 3:27pm On May 11, 2019
asuustrike1:

Why don't you edit your work by including that phrase.

Even after educating you in the first mention, you're still dancing round the circle of ignorance in public shocked!

For the umpteenth time, "typically" means not all. Your argument is thus baseless and simply egoistic. Sigh. What exactly do you want? Not the smokescreen you stated above.

This is simple English. Focus and understand before arguing and repeating the same thing in different ways. Enough of you, please.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 11, 2019
TheiSchooler:

Lol. Whatever feeds your ego, even if it's a blatant lie. Done entertaining your distractions. cool
Mr man don't assume everyone had the privileges you had when growing up.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 11, 2019
TheiSchooler:

Even after educating you in the first mention, you're still dancing round the circle of ignorance in public shocked!

For the umpteenth time, "typically" means not all. Your argument is thus baseless and simply egoistic. Sigh. What exactly do you want? Not the smokescreen you stated above.

This is simple English. Focus and understand before arguing and repeating the same thing in different ways. Enough of you, please.
I understood you correctly but your view is generalistic from your introductory text. I have seen many men that don't love football instead they prefer politics. And I have seen many women that love football instead of movies like their counterpart. Similarly i have seen many kids that preference for Nickelodeon . You need tour round the country to see things for yourself. It may shock you to know that there are many Nigerians that haven't seen television set.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Basic123: 5:06pm On May 11, 2019
TheiSchooler:

I didn't like at all when I was a child!
Infact,I hate it.probably because I was intelligent enough to know the that they were not real creatures!
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 11, 2019
Basic123:

I didn't like at all when I was a child!
Infact,I hate it.probably because I was intelligent enough to know the that they were not real creatures!
grin grin grin help.me tell am cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 9:03pm On May 11, 2019
asuustrike1:

grin grin grin help.me tell am cheesy grin

Kids love cartoons. It's a known fact and there are scientific reasons. I can't be bothered by your spurious and baseless claims or your pal's above, who obviously wants to bandwagon.

Besides your nomenclature, who is your friend and who are you to try to act like an authoritative voice on the subject? Your motives are obviously impure and I could read that from a distance the first time from your cynic tone.

I've been long enough on NL to know when to ignore wafts and recognise informed comments when I see one.

You are both wrong, that's why I initially ignored. Your arguments are flabby and motivated by ego and something else... Don't want to say that one, but you know it in your heart.

Please be gone! cool
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Danicomrade(m): 11:12pm On May 11, 2019
Its nt really natural is wat u give 2 them dat they will wat they are sum kids u greW up without watching cartoon bt only aficamagic and stuff
So is the way u train up a the child.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 7:40am On May 12, 2019
Danicomrade:
Its nt really natural is wat u give 2 them dat they will wat they are sum kids u greW up without watching cartoon bt only aficamagic and stuff
So is the way u train up a the child.

I've NEVER seen or heard about a child (under 7) who prefers other kinds of TV programs to cartoons. NEVER!! And I'm old enough to know this is a FACT. You're and your bandwagon friends are just lying and want to argue for simply argument sake.

Every child loves cartoon. It is a plain fact. All these talk is just a bandwagon effect. It's psychological. When someone gives a differing opinion - even if it's an uninformed one -- other uninformed people will repeat it to just "belong in the crowd."

Every child (at least under 7) loves and is a fascinated by cartoons. It sits with their nature. It is a scientific and social fact everywhere on the globe. You CAN'T convince me or any informed, sincere or open person against a known fact since immemorial. You simply aren't.

Africanmagic!? Lol. How old are you? I can sense your ages, including the other one that was self- praising and said as a child he was intelligent enough to know cartoons weren't real. Lol. So, the other kids supposedly watching, while he was all adult-y, weren't 'intelligent enough.' Lol.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 7:43am On May 12, 2019
TheiSchooler:

Kids love cartoons. It's a known fact and there are scientific reasons. I can't be bothered by your spurious and baseless claims or your pal's above, who obviously wants to bandwagon.

Besides your nomenclature, who is your friend and who are you to try to act like an authoritative voice on the subject? Your motives are obviously impure and I could read that from a distance the first time from your cynic tone.

I've been long enough on NL to know when to ignore wafts and recognise informed comments when I see one.

You are both wrong, that's why I initially ignored. Your arguments are flabby and motivated by ego and something else... Don't want to say that one, but you know it in your heart.

Please be gone! cool
Mr man you are wrong OK just admit your fault for once. Not all kids love cartoon please research well before coming to the media to post unrealistic assumption. I faulted your work because I want to correct you but it seems pride and ergo wouldn't let you so because you can't face criticism. Every being be it small or big cannot behave,love,or share the same traits. There are always exemption that is why when posting an article it is safer to use the word "many" than been generalistic except you would agree with me that all Nigerians are corrupt going by your logic. Have a blissful Sunday.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 7:49am On May 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Mr man you are wrong OK just admit your fault for once. Not all kids love cartoon please research well before coming to the media to post unrealistic assumption. I faulted your work because I want to correct you but it seems pride and ergo wouldn't let you so because you can't face criticism. Every being be it small or big cannot behave,love,or share the same traits. There are always exemption that is why when posting an article it is safer to use the word "many" than been generalistic except you would agree with me that all Nigerians are corrupt going by your logic. Have a blissful Sunday.

Read the submission above. Children are not adults. Children are innocent (under 7) and their minds are not completely formed. Don't apply the "all Nigerians are corrupt" logic. It shows how flawed your reasoning is. These are children! Ridiculous! You just want to sound correct.

Look, I'll never agree white is black, no matter how long an epistle you write. I'll admit others, but never against a known social and scientific fact all around the world!!

You admit you don't know and just want to feel you know. Why will I admit cos you gave a baseless opinion?

Lol. asuustruke1, you used your second moniker to add support to your earlier argument, so it looks like it has authority.

You're wasting your time. Read again slowly and with concentration. I can't be a student to you. If anything, it should be the other way round.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 7:55am On May 12, 2019
TheiSchooler:

You admit you don't know and just want to feel you know. Why will I admit cos you gave a baseless opinion?

Lol. asuustruke1, you used your second moniker to add support to your earlier argument, so it looks like it has authority.

You're wasting your time. Read again slowly and with concentration. I can't be a student to you. If anything, it should be the other way round.
Throw you pride then edit your work you don't want to learn
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 7:59am On May 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Throw you pride then edit your work you don't want to learn

Edit on whose recommendation? You? Lol. You must think you're an authority. Sit down, read slowly and learn. Obviously, your knowledge is very limited.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 8:05am On May 12, 2019
TheiSchooler:

Edit on whose recommendation? You? Lol. You must think you're an authority. Sit down, read slowly and learn. Obviously, your knowledge is very limited.
I don't need to be an authority to point out the flaws in the article. When you humble yourself to learn it will help you in the future but when you exhibit pride and ergo by refusing to accept your fault then you are on your own. Nobody is perfect, nobody is above mistake but the ability to accept your fault and criticism makes you better.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 8:23am On May 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

I don't need to be an authority to point out the flaws in the article. When you humble yourself to learn it will help you in the future but when you exhibit pride and ergo by refusing to accept your fault then you are on your own. Nobody is perfect, nobody is above mistake but the ability to accept your fault and criticism makes you better.

How do I accept what is wrong? Just to satisfy you. So you pop up with flabby, unsubstantiated argument, I should accept it?

I accept arguments, but only informed, verifiable ones. If you weren't egoistic, my valid points above would have shut you up.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Danicomrade(m): 10:11am On May 12, 2019
[quote author=TheiSchooler post=78318582]

I've NEVER seen or heard about a child (under 7) who prefers other kinds of TV programs to cartoons. NEVER!!

Seem as old as u are u dont understand common english
Are u telling me a kid who grew in a family who dont even put the tv channel in a kid programm to talkmore of cartoon will just start liking cartøon dat e has nt even seen b4
Mr man I did nt say kids dnt like cartoon i said they are kids who grew up without watching cartoon eg sum kids in the gettho are use to action movies and they cant just start liking cartoon .
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 12:30pm On May 12, 2019
[quote author=Danicomrade post=78321915][/quote]

My assertion stays. You've still not said anything convincing. Go and read the post again - this time, slowly, deliberately and with an open mind

If you don't understand a line in a post, ask for clarification. Funny, you said I don't understand English and yet your sentences were crippled with grammatical blunders here and there. Do you know how many years I've been doing this? How many clients I've worked for and with, in Nigeria and internationally?

I'm sure you've heard the statement below over and over again:

"Nigerians are very religious."

Did you argue against it? Is the statement wrong? Does it mean every single Nigerian is religious, and there are no atheists? Why do people that use that line not always edit it to read this way instead: "Most Nigerians are religious"?

Do you understand the difference? Not sure you do. You sound like you still have a lot of English learning to do.
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 12, 2019
TheiSchooler:

How do I accept what is wrong? Just to satisfy you. So you pop up with flabby, unsubstantiated argument, I should accept it?

I accept arguments, but only informed, verifiable ones. If you weren't egoistic, my valid points above would have shut you up.
Mr man my assertion are verified anywhere. You go and research well instead of posting lies
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 12, 2019
TheiSchooler:

Mr man my assertion are verifiable and one of the respondent confirm my assertion. You swallow your pride and research well instead of relying on perceived and judgemental reasoning to draw conclusion. Go to the field to research and analyzed your results well
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 12, 2019
TheiSchooler:

My assertion stays. You've still not said anything convincing. Go and read the post again - this time, slowly, deliberately and with an open mind

If you don't understand a line in a post, ask for clarification. Funny, you said I don't understand English and yet your sentences were crippled with grammatical blunders here and there. Do you know how many years I've been doing this? How many clients I've worked for and with, in Nigeria and internationally?

I'm sure you've heard the statement below over and over again:

"Nigerians are very religious."

Did you argue against it? Is the statement wrong? Does it mean every single Nigerian is religious, and there are no atheists? Why do people that use that line not always edit it to read this way instead: "Most Nigerians are religious"?

Do you understand the difference? Not sure you do. You sound like you still have a lot of English learning to do.
Pride will not let you accept your fault. That many journalist use that word " Nigerians are religious " doesn't mean it is the right usuage. This word can be interpreted by many to mean all Nigerians are religious hence we should be careful on the use of words. I did say that it is safer to use "many" because it passes a message across to many readers that there are exceptions.
Secondly you contradict yourself when you said [b]all children between 7years loves cartoon [/b]however someone refuted your claim that he doesn't. Doesn't that passes a message to you that your assertion is faulty?. Am very such many will refute your claim as time goes by. That you lived in city and observed many children showing interest in cartoon doesn't mean all do. So accept your fault for once instead of beating around the bush
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 2:10pm On May 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Pride will not let you accept your fault. That many journalist use that word " Nigerians are religious " doesn't mean it is the right usuage. This word can be interpreted by many to mean all Nigerians are religious hence we should be careful on the use of words. I did say that it is safer to use "many" because it passes a message across to many readers that there are exceptions.
Secondly you contradict yourself when you said [b]all children between 7years loves cartoon [/b]however someone refuted your claim that he doesn't. Doesn't that passes a message to you that your assertion is faulty?. Am very such many will refute your claim as time goes by. That you lived in city and observed many children showing interest in cartoon doesn't mean all do. So accept your fault for once instead of beating around the bush

A regular child (whether in the city or village) that has a TV in front of him/her and is given a choice between cartoon and African magic will naturally prefer the former. It is inborn. It is natural.

Just pass and move on. It's convenient to use reverse psychology and say I'm proud when it is pride that is not allowing you to admit you had no argument in the first place. I'm proud cos I refuse to submit to an inferior argument from you? Then that must be a good pride. Let folks like you refute the points, even if you're a million uninformed people saying the same thing, I still won't accept just cos people like you join the bandwagon.

Give me a superior argument and I'll take it. Do you think I write my opinions and without research? Or do you think I'm a greenhorn?
Re: Why Are Kids Naturally Drawn To Cartoons? by TheiSchooler(m): 2:12pm On May 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Mr man my assertion are verified anywhere. You go and research well instead of posting lies

You made a weird, baseless assertion, and I should go ahead and verify it for you? Is the onus not on you that made the claim to provide supporting stats? You just say something on a whim and I should accept it as a fact? Please, keep moving...

The person that you said made the assertion obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm very sure of it. I wish there could be a 'block' button, so I could avoid your distractions. Your arguments are incoherent and derailing. So, next time I see your moniker, I simply IGNORE. You can bank on that -- except there's a very compelling reason to reverse that decision.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Futo Admission Updates 2009/2010 / Pre Degree/diploma Programmes For Universities And Poly / Is Ond Qualification Still Relivant In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.