Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:59 PM

Delay In Speech Development In A Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Delay In Speech Development In A Child (2441 Views)

My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. / Man Receives Car Gift From His Boss, Prince Ned Nwoko, After Welcoming A Child / "Doctors Told Me I Will Have A Child 5 Years After My Accident But Now" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 10:43pm On May 11, 2019
I have a child who is 2 years 6 months of age and still can't speak. The child is able to comprehend when communicated to but can't speak back to you though tries to mutter words that are not clear. The child is not affected by down syndrome. Pls I will appreciate advice from Parents who have had a similar experience and how they handled it.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by Kwamecron(m): 10:52pm On May 11, 2019
Locate us at 'helping hands learning center'
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by crackhaus: 11:06pm On May 11, 2019
It's called 'Alalia'.

You can type that on Google to get more information on it.

See this:

https:// kidshealth.org/en/ parents/not-talk.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by Islamicpope(m): 11:24pm On May 11, 2019
I had a similar problem with my first son, took him to see the medics, but we were advised to be patient. But thank God he is taking now. My advice is for you to be patient with him. He will talk soon.

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 12:15pm On May 12, 2019
Islamicpope:
I had a similar problem with my first son, took him to see the medics, but we were advised to be patient. But thank God he is taking now. My advice is for you to be patient with him. He will talk soon.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 12:19pm On May 12, 2019
crackhaus:
It's called 'Alalia'.

See this:

Thanks, I have been more enlightened.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 12:20pm On May 12, 2019
crackhaus:
It's called 'Alalia'.

See this:

Thanks, I have been more enlightened by your post.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by wasak(m): 5:37pm On May 12, 2019
My parents had similar experience with me as a kid and i was well past 2 years before my speech was able to form properly and not to blow my trumpet, I grew up performing brilliantly in academics and just anything I did.
My parents didn't use any therapy, they were just patient. So be patient and don't fret too much.

1 Like

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 7:40pm On May 12, 2019
wasak:
My parents had similar experience with me as a kid and i was well past 2 years before my speech was able to form properly and not to blow my trumpet, I grew up performing brilliantly in academics and just anything I did.
My parents didn't use any therapy, they were just patient. So be patient and don't fret too much.
Thanks, I appreciate your encouragement.

1 Like

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by ogawisdom(m): 7:44pm On May 12, 2019
Be patient until he is 4 years

While waiting keep exposing him to meet kids of his age n allow them to play together

1 Like

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by Mizwisdom(f): 7:59pm On May 12, 2019
I've started a thread about this before, that was how they told my friend to be patient now that the child is above four and still can't talk, it's somehow late now he decided to take him to hospital. Better early than late

3 Likes

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by MrsInvisible(f): 8:28pm On May 12, 2019
Hi. Did you check his ears?? Maybe he doesn't hear everything, which could lead to not talking properly. Good luck
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by eniolorunfe: 8:59pm On May 12, 2019
I would advice you take your child to see the doctor (paediatrician) to rule out any hearing defects or impairment. If a child cannot hear, he/she cannot speak, so you have to be sure your child can hear. Don't just assume that your child can hear, confirm from your doctor. Some parents assume this and then it becomes "late" to fix the underlying issues. Cases are different so confirm all is well by checking with your doctor, rather than waiting patiently. There is nothing to lose by doing so.

4 Likes

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by eniolorunfe: 9:00pm On May 12, 2019
You have everything to gain by checking with your doctor NOW rather than later. All the best!

1 Like

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 11:37am On May 13, 2019
Mizwisdom:
I've started a thread about this before, that was how they told my friend to be patient now that the child is above four and still can't talk, it's somehow late now he decided to take him to hospital. Better early than late
Thanks
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 11:38am On May 13, 2019
eniolorunfe:
You have everything to gain by checking with your doctor NOW rather than later. All the best!
This is true and I will see a Dr ASAP. Thanks
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by FabioPeter: 4:55pm On May 17, 2019
I share a similar experience with my 2.5year old son. Doing a lot of internet research. Sadly, there aren’t many paediatric Psychiatrists or speech therapist to consult.
Its been anxious moment for us. We hope this will this resolves soon. Best wishes with your child.

vital123:
I have a child who is 2 years 6 months of age and still can't speak. The child is able to comprehend when communicated to but can't speak back to you though tries to mutter words that are not clear. The child is not affected by down syndrome. Pls I will appreciate advice from Parents who have had a similar experience and how they handled it.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 6:51pm On May 17, 2019
FabioPeter:
I share a similar experience with my 2.5year old son. Doing a lot of internet research. Sadly, there aren’t many paediatric Psychiatrists or speech therapist to consult.
Its been anxious moment for us. We hope this will this resolves soon. Best wishes with your child.

Thanks man. I observed that you tried sending me a mail, unfortunately I no longer use that email.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by FabioPeter: 7:27pm On May 17, 2019
Is it ok if I drop my number so we can chat?

vital123:

Thanks man. I observed that you tried sending me a mail, unfortunately I no longer use that email.
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by ambient: 8:51pm On May 17, 2019
vital123:

My child is almost three,he started having speech difficulties after a terrible sickness. I Started training him on how to talk well by constantly playing youtube ryhmes for him, i also made sure he was always with kids his own age or older than him alitlle.i also used colorful flash cards. Its not easy but i was determined. All this i did after his ped evaulated and ruled out everything.

1 Like

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by mimicue(f): 12:50am On May 18, 2019
Please consult a pediatrician for your child . Let’s hope it’s not a hearing problem
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by Harshirama(m): 7:22am On May 18, 2019
It could be a sign of autism. It's better to consult a pediatrician
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by eyinjuege: 8:44am On May 18, 2019
First and foremost, take your child for a hearing test. If your child cannot hear, his speech will be delayed

1 Like

Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by FabioPeter: 4:52pm On May 18, 2019
https://www.autismspeaks.org/screen-your-child

Harshirama:
It could be a sign of autism. It's better to consult a pediatrician
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 11:25am On May 22, 2019
FabioPeter:
Is it ok if I drop my number so we can chat?

Yes please. Thanks
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 11:26am On May 22, 2019
ambient:

My child is almost three,he started having speech difficulties after a terrible sickness. I Started training him on how to talk well by constantly playing youtube ryhmes for him, i also made sure he was always with kids his own age or older than him alitlle.i also used colorful flash cards. Its not easy but i was determined. All this i did after his ped evaulated and ruled out everything.
Thanks for sharing
Re: Delay In Speech Development In A Child by vital123: 11:29am On May 22, 2019
MrsInvisible:
Hi. Did you check his ears?? Maybe he doesn't hear everything, which could lead to not talking properly. Good luck
He can hear clearly just that he can't talk clearly.

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Kids Sleeping Style. / My Wife Leaves Me Breathless. / Why Cant Marriage Vow Stop Couples From Cheating ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.