Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Several Ways Facebook Can Stop Suicide Especially From Depressed Ones - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Several Ways Facebook Can Stop Suicide Especially From Depressed Ones (238 Views)

No Single Air Defence System In The World Can Stop Kinzhal-ukraine Air Force / British Soldiers Told To Get Ready For War Against Russia, Warn Loved Ones (Pics / Facebook Can Be Held Liable For Sex Trafficking On Its Platform – Court Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Several Ways Facebook Can Stop Suicide Especially From Depressed Ones by Newsblenda(m): 1:05am On May 15, 2019
By Wisdom Law (Iwu)

Facebook needs to do more to help its users especially those of them who are suffering from depression, bullying etc.

Right now is easier to say to that Facebook is literally doing nothing to help stop depressed patients on their platform from committing suicide.

Am not saying that Facebook should fly to the persons location to stop him or her from the tragedy but there are things that are very simple and easy they can at least do to reduce the rate of suicide going on, on Facebook.

Communication

For instance Facebook needs to do more than just having a community forums, this means that Facebook needs to have a platform that enables them to easily communicates with their users when necessary and especially when they sensed suicide note on their page.

I believe that if Facebook can make this provisions available it will go a long way in stopping people from taking their own life.

counselling​

Facebook needs to make counseling provision for all users suffering from depression.

When needed Facebook needs to council such ones and make them see the better aspects of life, give them reasons to keep fighting.

​​Imagine a scenario that a Facebook user posted a suicide note on his page, then suddenly he or she got a call or video call from who 'Facebook'? Do you know how exactly that will make them feel? I know, it will make them feel so important, loved and cared for.

Call Authorities To Assist

​Facebook can help stop a suicide attempt by calling in the authorities using that persons locations, after all they have those information at their disposal so what's stops them from making attempt if they noticed a suicide attempt on someone's page?

Since we all have embraced social media as a way of life, we deserved to be safe irrespective of ones state of mind.

A young Nigerian poet committed suicide hours after he took to Facebook to write a suicide post that no one paid attention to.

Chukwuemeka Akachi was a first-class final year student from the department of English and Literary studies at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, (UNN) he was suffering depression and spoke about it on a Facebook post hours before he took his life. Sadly, the post barely got any reaction as people thought he was simply seeking attention.

He wrote on Sunday, May 12th 2019, : "My mental health has been on life support for a while now. Thanks to those who call. Text. Visit. Speak to me. May we always remember. May we never forget. You may have added a few hours, months or days to my time here. But you know life support is expensive right? Thanks for trying. Amen."

Young NIgerian poet kills himself after leaving suicide note on Facebook

Then, on Monday, May 13th May 2019, just before he ended his life, he shared a post titled, "suicide note". In it, he made it clear that he was about to take his life. But very few paid attention to it until he followed through with the suicide.

His suicide note reads: "Suicide Note.
Forgive me. In case you are the one who found the body, I am really sorry. It had to be someone, you know. I have chosen Jo Nketaih’s poem as my suicide note: “They said you came looking for me. I didn’t drown; I was the water.” Where do atheists go to when they die? lol. Amen."

He allegedly consumed two bottles of a poisonous substance and was found by friends. He allegedly died at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku Ozalla, where he was rushed to.

Young NIgerian poet kills himself after leaving suicide note on Facebook

Do you know how many other people who had died as a result of total negligence from social media giant Facebook?

If you believed that Facebook is not doing enough to help stop suicide on their platform just like me then you have help share this post so that Facebook will sit up, is either now or never!

Continue Here:https://www.newsblenda.com/post/others/several-ways-facebook-can-stop-suicide-especially-from-depressed-ones.html

(1) (Reply)

The Genocidal Taunts Of That Notorious Barbarian Called "Trump" / Theresa May Resigns / Ogun Assembly Wants Court To Stop Govt. From Transferring Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.