Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,315 members, 7,819,069 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti (1420 Views)

The Discrepancy In Reno’s Passport Stamps, By Natasha Akpoti / NDLEA: Why Cannabis Can’t Be Legalised In Nigeria / What Does Nigeria Mean To You By Natasha Akpoti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Blue3k(m): 2:23am On May 18, 2019

It suddenly turned cold in Boston and I wasn’t properly dressed for the weather.

My hotel was far away and my only option was to dash into a store for some jeans or leggings to wear under my long dress. 

Patagonia was right beside me. 

I walked in and began hunting for the perfect pair. 

Then I saw a signage “HEMP CLOTHING “ and in smaller letters : 

Natural . Misunderstood. Legal. 

I walked up to the racks beneath and behold, all clothing from jeans to skirts; baby wears to socks were made out of hemp. 

Trust my Nigerianess... Indian Hemp ke. I no dey buy . Make cold kuku kill me. I remembered all the horrible ideas of how destructive hemp is. 

So I ended up walking away from that store into another for my purchase. 

However, curiosity got the better part of me... so I opened my laptop and began my research into hemp.  

My discovery left me astonished 

Hemp has been used by humans for over 10,000 years and it’s the strongest natural fiber in the world. 

Interestingly, there are no wasted parts of the hemp plant . Both seeds and stalks are used to produce the following;

Hemp Seed
From hemp seeds we get lotions, hair creams, makeup, nail polish, cooking oil, paint production, fuel production, ink, animal feeds, bakery products, dairy production, beer production, butter, milk, chocolate , cereal etc. 

Hemp stalks 
All clothing made out of cotton can be made from hemp e.g jeans, shirts, face caps etc. Moreover, Fiber board for construction, fiberglass , compost, fuel as biodiesel and ethanol, carpets, plastic products, baby diapers, papers, bags, canvas, shampoo, sneakers and so much more are made from hemp. 

Little wonder, China’s hemp market generated $1.1b in 2017 while America’s hemp market generated $1b in 2018. 

So let’s ponder, if the world has created over 50,000 uses from hemp and countries cashing in on the vast market thereby generating revenue and jobs, why is Nigeria still stuck on its illegal pronouncement by the Indian Hemp Act of  31st March of 1966. 

Do you think we are being hypocritical in the management of hemp in Nigeria? 

Is there a way legislative reforms and of course some regulatory measures can be put in place to balance hemp’s consumption while Nigeria operates a sustainable manufacturing industry? 

Remember, Hemp is illegal in Nigeria yet Nigeria is the 8th ranking country in the world’s hemp consumption. Sadly by mostly idle youths who are not properly educated about its vices. 

Probably, discussions and debates on hemp and cannabis generally should be held often to help educate and guide our youths against its abuse... this would also help create a world of entrepreneurial opportunities and have our youths gainfully employed from the same “destructive” product . 

Suffice it to applaud the out-of-the-box economic diversification efforts of Governor Akeredolu of Ondo state who is charging Nigeria to key into the 2025 forecasted $145b Cannabis market. 

By the way, we are talking about industrial hemp. 

Note: it’s about time we get leaders who are disruptive in their ability to create thriving innovative yet inclusive economics. 

Leaders bold enough to challenge our blind-spots and launch Nigeria out of hopelessness into adventurous prosperity. 

Natasha Akpoti is a senatorial candidate, Kogi Central, 2019 general election.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2019/05/17/should-indian-hemp-be-legalised-nigeria-natasha-akpoti

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

3 Likes

Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Blue3k(m): 2:37am On May 18, 2019
Ok but are you willing to sponsor a bill to make hemp legal? How do you feel about legal medical and recrational use of hemp (cannabis)? Im assuming she's only changing her mind because there's tax revenue.

Ps: the hemp shes refering to has less of the THC so you wont get high. Same plant just different varieties.

Front page: Lalasticlala

Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by MetaPhysical: 2:44am On May 18, 2019
Here are my thoughts on the whole thing.

1. Fake hemp will flood the market and poisoning and health hazards wil result
2. North will never allow its legalization in their territory and use Sharia law to regulate its cultivation, distribution and consumption in North.
3. Whatever form of legalization is ruled it will be isolated to the Southerners and their households
4. Proceeds of sale will be shared as national revenue, Northern States with large LGs will get bigger share of the income.
5. A Northerner will be appointed DG to oversee the new cannabis commerce.

Do you still believe we should legalize hemp?

1 Like

Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Blue3k(m): 3:30am On May 18, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Here are my thoughts on the whole thing.

1. Fake hemp will flood the market and poisoning and health hazards wil result
2. North will never allow its legalization in their territory and use Sharia law to regulate its cultivation, distribution and consumption in North.
3. Whatever form of legalization is ruled it will be isolated to the Southerners and their households
4. Proceeds of sale will be shared as national revenue, Northern States with large LGs will get bigger share of the income.
5. A Northerner will be appointed DG to oversee the new cannabis commerce.

Do you still believe we should legalize hemp?

1. What is fake hemp? Why would anyone bother making it. You do know this plant is dirt cheap already. Everywhere else its been legalized didn't have this issue.
2&3. Who cares if its legal on federal level. We dont need to agree on state level.
4. Same happens with alcohol. It doesn't make sense but legislators arent interested in issue.
5. Again doesn't matter. Did this effect alcohol?

Yes, I see more pros than cons.
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by ablelin: 4:59am On May 18, 2019
As indicated on the infograogh above, it shows hemo has a lot of usefulness, even health wise. However, we can't ignore the abuse of it, even when it is currently abused when it is illegal. The question is, can government, security actually monitor the production of hemo for necessary use which I doubt. before you know it, police will start to publicly smoke the shi, I am indifferent about it though....

Do you want to learn to get motivated, learn about skills and strategies in business or academics, or you want to learn from the likes of Lee Yuan Kew, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Thomas Sankara, Robert Kiyosaki, you need counseling and guidance to success in life, or you want to take an introvert or IQ test, then visit here
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Blue3k(m): 1:27pm On May 18, 2019
why is Nigeria still stuck on its illegal pronouncement by the Indian Hemp Act of  31st March of 1966.

Politicans are slow to change. This also what happens when you copy without checking logic.

Natasha Akpoti is a senatorial candidate, Kogi Central, 2019 general election.

Lol this would be an interesting issue to run on.

Ps: can yall email NOIPolls an ask then to do opinion poll on the topic.

enquiries@noi-polls.com

Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Blue3k(m): 12:44am On May 19, 2019
ablelin:
The question is, can government, security actually monitor the production of hemp for necessary use which I doubt. before you know it, police will start to publicly smoke the shi, I am indifferent about it though....

How do they monitor alcohol and everything else? Just budget money to the agency in charge. Lol a few policemen that make the front page getting drunk. These guys aren't stupid just let them know if you're caught you're fired. Then do random drug test.
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 1:35am On May 19, 2019
"THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF HEALTH WARNS THAT SMOKERS ARE LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG"

Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Optional09: 4:32am On May 19, 2019
investors! if you know you known let’s invest right. i use to work for a white lady who once told me just i saw in the daily and headline “Marijuana the new Gold” She said “for those who want to invest, that’s a good direction” 2 years ago
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Blue3k(m): 1:13pm On May 19, 2019
Final bump
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by hisexcellency34: 1:30pm On May 19, 2019
Natasha, confess, do you smoke hemp too?
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by meobizy(f): 9:05pm On May 14, 2021
Our leaders are backwards and can't think of any use of the plant past smoking its leaves. The assumed educated ones e.g. FFK are too busy slacking ponyors and finding different means into the corridors of power than advocating for economic uses of the herb.
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 14, 2021
No.

Don't ever legalize that hemp.

People think it is cool to smoke Indian hemp, they will start preaching about the economic value of indian hemp, how it can bring dollars, but nobody tell you the problem marijuana causes to ones mental health, to the society and how it fuels robbery and violence and also addictions, how about cancer, the most high hemp smoker bob Marley died of throat cancer.
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 14, 2021
meobizy:
Our leaders are backwards and can't think of any use of the plant past smoking its leaves. The assumed educated ones e.g. FFK are too busy slacking ponyors and finding different means into the corridors of power than advocating for economic uses of the herb.

Tell me what the people in this country use indian hemp for?

Let me tell you.

Robbery, rape and violence
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by helinues: 9:07pm On May 14, 2021
Regulation is the problem
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 14, 2021
So dis girl don dey smoke Ugbo
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by helinues: 9:11pm On May 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Tell me what the people in this country use indian hemp for?

The fibre on it alone can make lots of things

Those sleeping drugs are from Hemp materials

Hair growing

Meditation
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 14, 2021
helinues:

The fibre on it alone can make lots of things

Those sleeping drugs are from Hemp materials

Hair growing

Meditation

That is what they say.

People market everything for hair growth.

Have you ever smoke hemp before??

Pls don't ever smoke it or even abuse it.
You will regret of being born into this world
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by helinues: 9:17pm On May 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

That is what they say.

People market everything for hair growth.

Have you ever smoke hemp before??

This is not about what they say, it's actually what's it. The pros are more than the cons.

That's what those who have not had the experience always say

1 Like

Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 14, 2021
helinues:

This is not about what they say, it's actually what's it. The pros are more than the cons.

That's what those who have not had the experience always say

We have different opinions, there are many hidden marijuana farms in Nigeria, how come the planters aren't using it for the pros of the plant.

The bulk of marijuana sales in Nigeria goes into "highness"
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by helinues: 9:32pm On May 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

We have different opinions, there are many hidden marijuana farms in Nigeria, how come the planters aren't using it for the pros of the plant.

The bulk of marijuana sales in Nigeria goes into "highness"

Is Marijuana legalized in Nigeria?
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 14, 2021
helinues:

Is Marijuana legalized in Nigeria?

No.

So you think when marijuana is legalized it will be used for its pro content
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by royalamour(m): 9:39pm On May 14, 2021
Indifferent
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by InaNla(f): 9:46pm On May 14, 2021
[s]
thebosstrevor1:

No.

So you think when marijuana is legalized it will be used for its pro content
[/s]
Re: Should Indian Hemp Be Legalised In Nigeria? By Natasha Akpoti by owobokiri(m): 3:32am On May 15, 2021
What Nigerians don't know is how internationalized the 'drug war against nations' is..
Don't be surprised to find out that foreign nations, collaborating with some unscrupulous Nigerians are neck deep into unloading tons of drugs here, raking in billions as a result. Or even foreign criminal organisations and gangs. They don't care if the citizens are destroyed as a result. China surrendered Hong Kong to Britain in order to survive the "opium war"..

There is no real reason to legalize that nonsense here. The problem is that government abilities to enforce status in this regard has been whittled down over the last few years, deu to corruption and ineptitude within the civil service. Cut off the supply chain by going to the source and purnish deviants with long jail terms. Things will normalize afterwards..

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Names Of Till Date / Who Will Vote For Obi/igbo In 2023 / Facts You Never Knew About Ngozi Okonjo Iweala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.