Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega (7802 Views)

12 Prominent Nigerian Leaders Yet To Congratulate President-elect, GMB / GEJ, Buhari, IBB, Other Past Nigerian Leaders At Council Of State Meeting Abuja / APC Leaders Most Corrupt, Presidency Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by bigbish: 12:23pm On Sep 24, 2010
Those in various leadership positions in the country are the most corrupt in the world, Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, has said. Delivering a paper on credible leadership at a public lecture organised by the ECKANKAR yesterday, Jega said: “There is perhaps no other country in the world where power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely as in Nigeria. Our consistent or persistent ranking on the global corruption index testifies to this.”
He also said: “If the truth is to be told, with very few exceptions, our crop of leaders have essentially been self-serving rulers, some even despots and not leaders in the true sense of the word.

“They have generally lacked vision, focus and selflessness and even enlightened self-interest. Many in leadership positions are unimaginably corrupt, they are greedy, they are vindictive, they are reckless and in many fundamental respects, senseless. Virtually whoever has access to power attempts to abuse it, ”

Jega said there is absence of transparency in the manner which leaders govern the country.

“Many Nigerian public officials, whether elected or appointed, have tended to exude not only power, but also corruption, with impunity. This is manifest in the way they walk, talk, dress and generally conduct themselves.”

He tasked Nigerians on the need to ease corrupt leaders out of the system to evolve credible leadership for development of the country.

He said: “All of our country’s ills, trials and tribulations, both politically and socio-economically, can be squarely attributed to lack of transparency and accountability and the corruption that these have engendered.”

But reacting to Jega’s presentation, Minister of Women Affairs, Iyom Josephine Anenih, said the poor leadership in the country is a reflection of bad citizenry.

According to her, “there is no leader in Nigeria today that is not under pressure to steal to satisfy greedy relatives and friends. How can we have credible leaders without credible citizenry? The only way we can have credible leaders is to have credible followers who will not collect money to vote for bad leaders.”

Jega disagreed with the minister’s position saying, “to me the challenge of leadership is to do the right thing even if it is unpopular. I cannot see the basis for a leader to steal money to satisfy the followers. It is not right to succumb to such pressure. You may become unpopular, you may not be elected again, but you must ensure that the right things are done.”

He said there is need for faith- based organisations to remain neutral on political issues and to sustain inter-faith dialogue in the society.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3422:jega-nigerian-leaders-most-corrupt-in-the-world&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 24, 2010
all we want is an organised election

save the punditry for when you have delivered on your current task
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by globalaid(m): 12:40pm On Sep 24, 2010
this man should save us from lecture, all of us know that nigeria politician are the most corrupt in the world. Just organise your election and go back to class. I just hope we are not going the Maurice Iwu path. Let your work speak for you, talk less and do the action.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by manmustwac(m): 12:42pm On Sep 24, 2010
The masses who allow our corrupt leaders to embezzle doh while they suffer and smile are part of the problem to.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by bigbish: 12:45pm On Sep 24, 2010
Atleast the man is bold enough to tell the truth which is not anybody at his position can dare to say this,
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2010
globalaid:

this man should save us from lecture, all of us know that nigeria politician are the most corrupt in the world. Just organise your election and go back to class. I just hope we are not going the Maurice Iwu path. Let your work speak for you, talk less and do the action.
Who send am ? He should do what is right,that's all Nigerians want from him.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 24, 2010
bigbish:

Atleast the man is bold enough to tell the truth which is not anybody at his position can dare to say this,

have you not heard all that tough talk from Waziri? yet she fails to deliver on war on corruption.

tough talk is no substitute for result.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 24, 2010
bigbish:

He is now also a 'Nigerian Leader'. Lets see what happens during his tenure.Who is to say he wont chop also at INEC?
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by chamber2(m): 1:12pm On Sep 24, 2010
Na today we know? e do tee
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Fhemmmy: 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2010
Noe let us see if we will be adding another to the list of Corrupt leaders in Nigeria.
If he could sell the whole nation to someone by the conduct of his election, then, another has been added to the list.

Eyes are watching
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by oisehumen(m): 1:27pm On Sep 24, 2010
U are just making noise, this man.
Your job is organize a free and fair elections for us. That's all.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Fhemmmy: 1:28pm On Sep 24, 2010
oisehumen:

U are just making noise, this man.
Your job is organize a free and fair elections for us. That's all.

So u dont want the dude to enjoy his "minutes of fame"?
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by femi4love(m): 1:42pm On Sep 24, 2010
Majority of Nigerians need to be delivered from backward mentality and inferiority complex. One of the reasons why politicians steal is because some of them think the only way to secure a future of relevance and power is to amass so much wealth that they can't even consume in "Several life times".
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Solozzo(m): 1:48pm On Sep 24, 2010
I am amazed that many of us are blaming Jega for saying the whole truth about nigeria's bad leadership publicly. He may be talking but the manner he says this showed the degree of conviction he holds about the truth. Nigerians should listen and learn that if you create a society that is geared towards improving the econoomy you improve your wealth If you steal and improverished your country you are just a poor man as well as the people you stole from. Babangida is one o the poorest men in the world today because he has no acces to regular public pipeborne water, no electricity in his home state and is at risk of sudden death anytime because of the health service sitution around him. Corrupted leaders are the most stupid people on earth
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by snowdrops(m): 1:51pm On Sep 24, 2010
talk about saying the obvious. This is no news.

If a dog bites a man that's not news, but if a man bites a dog then that surely is news.

Stories like Nigerian leaders most incorruptible in the world should be the ones making front page.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Dede1(m): 1:52pm On Sep 24, 2010
bigbish:

Those in various leadership positions in the country are the most corrupt in the world, Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, has said. Delivering a paper on credible leadership at a public lecture organised by the ECKANKAR yesterday, Jega said: “There is perhaps no other country in the world where power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely as in Nigeria. Our consistent or persistent ranking on the global corruption index testifies to this.”
He also said: “If the truth is to be told, with very few exceptions, our crop of leaders have essentially been self-serving rulers, some even despots and not leaders in the true sense of the word.

“They have generally lacked vision, focus and selflessness and even enlightened self-interest. Many in leadership positions are unimaginably corrupt, they are greedy, they are vindictive, they are reckless and in many fundamental respects, senseless. Virtually whoever has access to power attempts to abuse it, ”

Jega said there is absence of transparency in the manner which leaders govern the country.

“Many Nigerian public officials, whether elected or appointed, have tended to exude not only power, but also corruption, with impunity. This is manifest in the way they walk, talk, dress and generally conduct themselves.”

He tasked Nigerians on the need to ease corrupt leaders out of the system to evolve credible leadership for development of the country.

He said: “All of our country’s ills, trials and tribulations, both politically and socio-economically, can be squarely attributed to lack of transparency and accountability and the corruption that these have engendered.”

But reacting to Jega’s presentation, Minister of Women Affairs, Iyom Josephine Anenih, said the poor leadership in the country is a reflection of bad citizenry.

According to her, “there is no leader in Nigeria today that is not under pressure to steal to satisfy greedy relatives and friends. How can we have credible leaders without credible citizenry? The only way we can have credible leaders is to have credible followers who will not collect money to vote for bad leaders.”

Jega disagreed with the minister’s position saying, “to me the challenge of leadership is to do the right thing even if it is unpopular. I cannot see the basis for a leader to steal money to satisfy the followers. It is not right to succumb to such pressure. You may become unpopular, you may not be elected again, but you must ensure that the right things are done.”

He said there is need for faith- based organisations to remain neutral on political issues and to sustain inter-faith dialogue in the society.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3422:jega-nigerian-leaders-most-corrupt-in-the-world&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

This bloody fool should shut up. Why is he not showing his stuff by example? I thought by now, Jega should have resigned as Chairman of INEC because of conflict of interest. Jega was appointed to the post of chairman by statutory code breaker in GEJ who is also a candidate in an election to be conducted by body led by Jega.

In the countries Jega seemed to be referencing in his nonsensical paper, an individual such as him should have stepped down on the bases of conflict of interest. Probably the so-called education Jega received did not inform him about the existence of such phrase.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Ayowumie(m): 1:59pm On Sep 24, 2010
All of us know that. So, it is not new.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Ojukwursg(m): 2:00pm On Sep 24, 2010
Our consistent or persistent ranking on the global corruption index testifies to this

Whatever he meant by that.

In reality, Nigeria has long moved away from the most corrupt, and making gradual progress.

Anyone who take seriously to the CPI (Corruption Perception Index) should also note the following criticism of it:

Criticism

The Corruption Perceptions Index has drawn increasing criticism in the decade since its launch, leading to calls for the index to be abandoned.[6][7][8] This criticism has been directed at the quality of the Index itself, and the lack of actionable insights created from a simple country ranking.[9][10] Because corruption is willfully hidden, it is impossible to measure directly; instead proxies for corruption are used. The CPI uses an eclectic mix of third-party surveys to sample public perceptions of corruption through a variety of questions, ranging from "Do you trust the government?" to "Is corruption a big problem in your country?"

The use of third-party survey data is a source of criticism. The data can vary widely in methodology and completeness from country to country. The methodology of the Index itself changes from year to year, thus making even basic better-or-worse comparisons difficult. Media outlets, meanwhile, frequently use the raw numbers as a yardstick for government performance, without clarifying what the numbers mean.

The lack of standardization and precision in these surveys is cause for concern. The authors of the CPI argue that averaging enough survey data will solve this; others argue that aggregating imprecise data only masks these flaws without addressing them.[11] In one case, a local Transparency International chapter disowned the index results after a change in methodology caused a country's scores to increase—media reported it as an "improvement".[12] Other critics point out that definitional problems with the term "corruption" makes the tool problematic for social science.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=corruption+index&gwp=13

In other word, corruption is as big as we (Nigerians) make it look. Or put in another way, the world will see us as we see our self. If we see ourselves (leaders, followers, institutions, etc) as a thief (or corrupt), as expect the world to see you as such.

My candid advise is that issues of corruption should be treated on case by case basis, not on a blanket basis. If Mr ABCD embezzles money, deal with my ABCD (don't castigate his tribe, colleagues, or associate), and put his crime in perspective (qualitative and quantitative). Short of violent revolutions as many are proposing, only when we begin to see, and talk changes, can changes really take place.

"We are transformed by the renewing of our mind"
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Gbawe: 2:06pm On Sep 24, 2010
There is no one better placed , currently ,than the INEC boss to shake Nigerians out of their apathy by urging them to register and vote to oust corrupt leaders !!!  It is the duty of Jega to make Nigerians believe their votes will counts in our collective desire to vote out usurpers and vote in the candidates who are the choice of the electorate. Keeping corruption at the front burner is neccessary to make Nigerians understand it is imperative , in 2011, they vote and do what they can to remove "self-serving rulers" ruining our nation and the future of our children.

I have no problem with Jega's utterances at all.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by 1102(m): 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2010
To me Nigerian Leaders are not that bad,

cos if i get chance i go Chop money and i nor go like make person talk bad of me

Nigeria leaders are not bad @ all compared with those of other countries like USA!
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2010
A non-Nigerian defends Nigeria while Jega pretends he is not part of the problem

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-519543.0.html
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Guyman02: 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2010
Gbawe:

There is no one better placed , currently ,than the INEC boss to shake Nigerians out of their apathy by urging them to register and vote to oust corrupt leaders !!!  It is the duty of Jega to make Nigerians believe their votes will counts in our collective desire to vote out usurpers and vote in the candidates who are the choice of the electorate. Keeping corruption at the front burner is neccessary to make Nigerians understand it is imperative , in 2011, they vote and do what they can to remove "self-serving rulers" ruining our nation and the future of our children.

I have no problem with Jega's utterances at all.
National Assembly delayed the amendment of the electoral Act till last month so that we cannot have a credible voter register (thats fraudulent) and now Jega is asking for additional time and we have a constitutional crisis on our hands. We must continue to speak out against corruption for the future of our nation.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Bese: 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
[Majority of Nigerians need to be delivered from backward mentality  and inferiority complex. One of the reasons why politicians steal is because some of them think the only way to secure a future of relevance and power is to amass so much wealth that they can't even consume in "Several life times".]

My Guy U are very right but still inform those uninformed leaders that "LIFE HAS NO DUPLICATE" or else they should ask Mr. President od blessed memory how much he travelled with to the grave?
"He who succum to pressure over life demanding issues has no stand if allowed to decide" Those leader just have nothing to offer that's all.
As 4 bro Jega, even the unborn child is watching 4rm mummy's womb. Do your very best to save 9ja 4rm the mess.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Bese: 2:30pm On Sep 24, 2010
[Majority of Nigerians need to be delivered from backward mentality and inferiority complex. One of the reasons why politicians steal is because some of them think the only way to secure a future of relevance and power is to amass so much wealth that they can't even consume in "Several life times".]

My Guy U are very right but still inform those uninformed leaders that "LIFE HAS NO DUPLICATE" or else they should ask Mr. President od blessed memory how much he travelled with to the grave?
"He who succum to pressure over life demanding issues has no stand if allowed to decide" Those leader just have nothing to offer that's all.
As 4 bro Jega, even the unborn child is watching 4rm mummy's womb. Do your very best to save 9ja 4rm the mess.]
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by CBTonline(m): 2:32pm On Sep 24, 2010
I think Nigerian leaders need to be more careful and emulate great leaders that are

doing their countries proud.

People like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and co of recent donated close to 50% of their
earnings to charity.

They have one head just as our leaders both in the corporate world and in the public sector.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by femicensus: 2:56pm On Sep 24, 2010
People should go and investigate JEGA tenure in BUK because personally I paid all PG candidates paid their Acceptance in PRIVATE account including myself. I questioned them in the Banking that why should I pay in to personal account and the reponse was negative and I was told to ask school authority,

Anybody can confirm from anybody that is doing his/her PG presently in BUK for clarification. I am hope it will give us "CREDIBLE" election
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by naso2(m): 2:58pm On Sep 24, 2010
@CBT online

I like you name. just curious.

@OP

I hope Jega is not eyeing Farida's or SLS' job. Let him just conduct a free and fair election and comment on our leaders after his tenure. Besides what will Jega do if he finds that an aspirant he knows as very corrupt is set to win an election? will emotion overrule professionalism then?
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by Echidime(m): 2:58pm On Sep 24, 2010
He has been made INEC chairman now he can show us good example by giving us free and fair election result.

No lectures,by the way is JEGA an ECKIST? HE attended ECKANKAR seminer,seems he is a member of that organisation, if he is thats very good,let more spiritual minded people take over the country, not religious poeple who can not co-exist
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by femicensus: 3:11pm On Sep 24, 2010
Let us hope, Jega will prove all his critics wrong by giving us free and fair election including me.

Jega should try as much as possible try to lay a good example not by following the footsteps of former INEC officers but by cordinate well orgarnised elections and make sure he gives us credible election
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by koolboi(m): 3:15pm On Sep 24, 2010
mind u guys, the guy don start to see really peper, in billions
he just wants to make noise so that when he steals his loot ppl will focus more on his holy speech rather than his unholy act
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by victorazy(m): 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
Who is Jega to say that. He is d most corrupt fellow i guess.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Most Corrupt In The World -jega by deols(f): 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2010

this woman must be outta HER MIND. wat makes u a leader wen u cannot overcome pressure by ur relatives. She seems like some1 who wld do that because she's under pressure

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Third Mainland Bridge Traffic Diversion Plan / Tanker Explosion In Edo State / PHOTOS: Biafra Members Waving Biafra Flag At RIO Olympics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.