Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,272 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces (850 Views)

Top 10 Largest Police Forces In The World. / 10 Most Corrupt Police Forces In The World / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 24, 2010
Because of the dire state of security in Nigeria I am setting up a debate on Nairaland in the first instance on how to push forward a motion to privatise the police forces in all states in Nigeria.

This way , businesses can invest heavily in police equipment, gadgetry, vehicles and so on and so forth with a bid to dealing with the terrible state of armed robbery and kidnapping in Nigeria especially in the EAST.

We need a state of the art police to combat a brazen, reckless and heartless gang of youth who have chosen the path of terrorism and murder.

Please put forward your suggestions.

Mine are ;

1. All policemen to reapply for their jobs and go for thorough and rigorous psychological and basic education interviews. Weed out the 'weeds'

2. Retrain police officers who passed the interview process on the latest technologies , attitudes and methods of combating crime, terrorism and riots.

3. Increase their pay 20% above the minimum wage and provide decent housing, free transport and childcare

4. Provide proper equipment including bullet proof and knife proof vests, helmets.

5. Provide latest guns and vehicles

and the list goes on and on.

The objective is that we have a police force that looks and acts like the below :

[img]http://www.yale.edu/police/images/Communications2.JPG[/img]

Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by desgiezd(m): 1:21pm On Sep 24, 2010
@ Topic

The topic reads as if each state has its own police force, Nigeria has one big, unwieldy police force where each state government has no authority on the police men on duty in each state yet the governors are regarded as the chief security officers of their states.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Fhemmmy: 1:23pm On Sep 24, 2010
I so much agree, or at least break down the power of the police force into Federal, State and local . . . .
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by violent(m): 7:38pm On Sep 24, 2010
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Beaf: 8:01pm On Sep 24, 2010
This is the same old call for true federalism. It is the only way we can get true representation.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 24, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I so much agree, or at least break down the power of the police force into Federal, State and local . . . .
With the current nature of abuse of power and privileges by our governors and local government chairmen,I will oppose the setting up of state police cuz it will surely be abused.the only thing is to put the police on the right track by addressing the already known problems facing it.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 26, 2010
~Bluetooth:

With the current nature of abuse of power and privileges by our governors and local government chairmen,I will oppose the setting up of state police cuz it will surely be abused.the only thing is to put the police on the right track by addressing the already known problems facing it.

The word is actually privatise. So in essence the day to day operational issues will be handled by the security company.

Only problem to be considered will be a regulatory body to monitor their use of power and privilege.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by koruji(m): 5:06am On Sep 27, 2010
You must be joking right. There is no way policing can be privatised in general - most of the gains from policing are public benefits. Armed robbers would have a free reign on the general populace.

But judging from your second statement below you are not REALLY thinking about privatization - what do you mean by "operational issues"?.

frosbel:

The word is actually privatise. So in essence the day to day operational issues will be handled by the security company.
Only problem to be considered will be a regulatory body to monitor their use of power and privilege.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by smoothine: 12:08pm On Sep 27, 2010
I am just sick and tired of hearing people say some people would abuse state and local police.What do you have now .is the police not being abused.all the police for the populace are guiding one politician or the other and their family what abuse is more than that.and at the end there is great insecurity in the land.who cares if they are abused or not but provide security for the populace.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by ChinenyeN(m): 6:16pm On Sep 27, 2010
Although a very good idea, it is highly unlikely that something like this could happen. Sorry.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 27, 2010
I oppose because state and local government officials will now employ dafts and thugs as security men to maim and intimidate the people.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Ikengawo: 7:21pm On Sep 27, 2010
^not much different from now.

Im all for it because our fed. is hopeless
where as some state governments are hopeless but not all.

so i'd rather have 10 out of 36 states have good security then all have bad security.

plus the private sector in nigeria is capable and dynamic. government ownership is a joke. good idea.
Re: All Nigerian States Should Privatise Their Police Forces by Ibime(m): 9:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
Police should be run by states. They should never be privatised.

(1) (Reply)

Doctors Shut Abia Hospitals / Ex Militants Visiting The Villa / Wasting Our Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.