Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria (547 Views)

"Precision Unleashed: Exploring The Best 'best 2D Drawing Assignment Help Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 18, 2019
Top Best Best Good Inversities in Nigeria
World Rank University
1 1145 University of Ibadan
2 2125 University of Nigeria
3 2244 Obafemi Awolowo University
4 2291 Covenant University Ota
5 2341 Ahmadu Bello University
6 2583 University of Lagos
7 2784 Federal
https://waziosky..com/2019/05/top-best-best-good-inversities-in.html
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by daseento(m): 5:29am On May 30, 2019
Sorry to derail this thread.

Dear bracelum, I want to enquire about my intending course of study in United States. I'm interested in studying Management PhD and I'll like to know the career options available to me after graduation.

More importantly, I'll be glad if you can comment on my overall profile and suggest good schools that fit my profile. I'm not really lazy but researching online, I seem not to be meeting their GRE requirements (320+). Below is my profile

GPA 3.7/4 ( Wes unofficial)
TOEFL 107 S22
GRE 312 (Q157,V155) AWA 3.5

Thanks for your prompt response.

cc: bracelum
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:53am On May 30, 2019
daseento:
Sorry to derail this thread.

Dear bracelum, I want to enquire about my intending course of study in United States. I'm interested in studying Management PhD and I'll like to know the career options available to me after graduation.

More importantly, I'll be glad if you can comment on my overall profile and suggest good schools that fit my profile. I'm not really lazy but researching online, I seem not to be meeting their GRE requirements (320+). Below is my profile

GPA 3.7/4 ( Wes unofficial)
TOEFL 107 S22
GRE 312 (Q157,V155) AWA 3.5

Thanks for your prompt response.

cc: bracelum

The obvious career option for a PhD in Management is academia. If you study other niche business degrees such as Marketing, Supply Chain or Finance, you may still find your way into the industry. However, it may be very difficult. Academia is often the obvious career path for PhDs in Management or other biz related degrees.

So, I will highly recommend the PhD if you want to get into academia. Otherwise, I will advise you to abort the plan and get a master's degree.

If you want to enter the industry or if you are targeting leadership roles in the industry, then a PhD would be a waste of time. You can get a 2-year master's degree (MBA (for management) or Marketing or Supply Chain or Finance) and use the extra 3 years you would spend on the PhD to move from Analyst to Senior Analyst or Manager.

Your profile looks good, but you may want to improve your GRE score slightly. A quant score of 160+ and an AWA score of 4+ might open more doors for you than your current GRE score. Let me know if you want to proceed with the Ph.D. so that I can recommend some good programs for you. Also, it might make more sense for you to specialize in a particular field if you want to proceed with the PhD. A PhD in marketing or finance may open more doors for you than a PhD in Management.

You didn't mention your undergrad degree.
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by daseento(m): 9:14am On May 30, 2019
bracelum:

The obvious career option for a PhD in Management is academia. If you study other niche business degrees such as Marketing, Supply Chain or Finance, you may still find your way into the industry. However, it may be very difficult. Academia is often the obvious career path for PhDs in Management or other biz related degrees.

So, I will highly recommend the PhD if you want to get into academia. Otherwise, I will advise you to abort the plan and get a master's degree.

If you want to enter the industry or if you are targeting leadership roles in the industry, then a PhD would be a waste of time. You can get a 2-year master's degree (MBA (for management) or Marketing or Supply Chain or Finance) and use the extra 3 years you would spend on the PhD to move from Analyst to Senior Analyst or Manager.

Your profile looks good, but you may want to improve your GRE score slightly. A quant score of 160+ and an AWA score of 4+ might open more doors for you than your current GRE score. Let me know if you want to proceed with the Ph.D. so that I can recommend some good programs for you. Also, it might make more sense for you to specialize in a particular field if you want to proceed with the PhD. A PhD in marketing or finance may open more doors for you than a PhD in Management.

You didn't mention your undergrad degree.

Thanks alot for this detailed response.

I read Project Management Technology from Federal University of Technology Akure. The course isn't a common one and it's a multidisciplinary discipline that cut across construction, engineering, oil and gas and finance but I'm very interested in the management aspect than those other options.

I favour PhD over MSc/MBA because of funding. To realise my ambition, full funding is very important as I have no sponsor presently.

Again, I don't have the necessary industry experience to proceed for MBA although I graduated since 2016, I've been job hunting and sustaining myself with freelancing jobs till date. But, I believe I have moderate research experience that can boost my chances of getting funded for PhD and I have 2 research publications.

I believe I can cope with PhD Finance. I also cherish studying a relevant course that guarantee good paying job after graduation. The challenge is that, I'm not sure if I have taken enough courses in my undergraduate that satisfy the prerequisite requirements of PhD Finance programs I've come across, that's why I chose to settle for management.

I'll rewrite GRE if selected for USA opportunity funds. I'm really hoping my application sails through.

Thanks for your time and I envy your depth of knowledge regarding graduate programs in the US

I want to escape this Nigeria misery cry
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:15am On May 30, 2019
daseento:

Thanks alot for this detailed response.

I read Project Management Technology from Federal University of Technology Akure. The course isn't a common one and it's a multidisciplinary discipline that cut across construction, engineering, oil and gas and finance but I'm very interested in the management aspect than those other options.

I favour PhD over MSc/MBA because of funding. To realise my ambition, full funding is very important as I have no sponsor presently.

Again, I don't have the necessary industry experience to proceed for MBA although I graduated since 2016, I've been job hunting and sustaining myself with freelancing jobs till date. But, I believe I have moderate research experience that can boost my chances of getting funded for PhD and I have 2 research publications.

I believe I can cope with PhD Finance. I also cherish studying a relevant course that guarantee good paying job after graduation. The challenge is that, I'm not sure if I have taken enough courses in my undergraduate that satisfy the prerequisite requirements of PhD Finance programs I've come across, that's why I chose to settle for management.

I'll rewrite GRE if selected for USA opportunity funds. I'm really hoping my application sails through.

Thanks for your time and I envy your depth of knowledge regarding graduate programs in the US

I want to escape this Nigeria misery cry

BOLD 1: I favour PhD over MSc/MBA because of funding.

This is the wrongest reason to choose a Ph.D. over a master's degree. If you are not careful, this decision might ruin your career in the long term.

There are several scholarships and financing opportunities open for master's students. You have to search well and secure them.

Funding for PhD lasts for 5 years. After then, it ends and your life continues till eternity. Do you want to make a life decision that lasts for eternity based on funding for 5 years? If after the PhD, you discover you are not in the right career track, you will then start resetting your career, which ultimately screws you up.

My advice is for you to pursue your career goal and never let financing push you to make wrong choices. Look for funding opportunities - you will see them.

BOLD 2: I believe I can cope with PhD Finance

You can't really tell if you can cope with any program just like that. The best way to know is to take prerequisites or free courses online to have an idea if you can handle those courses.

BOLD 3: I want to escape this Nigeria misery

Do not be so much in a hurry and screw yourself up. Take your time to write as many test scores as you want and get the best score you can get. Take your time to get the required work experience for your desired course of study.

You don't want to rush to graduate school and discover you were underprepared for it.

Take your time - graduate school no dey run.

The best way to break through the job issue is by networking. If you network right, you will land a good job in Nigeria.
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by daseento(m): 10:25am On May 30, 2019
bracelum:

BOLD 1: I favour PhD over MSc/MBA because of funding.

This is the wrongest reason to choose a Ph.D. over a master's degree. If you are not careful, this decision might ruin your career in the long term.

There are several scholarships and financing opportunities open for master's students. You have to search well and secure them.

Funding for PhD lasts for 5 years. After then, it ends and your life continues till eternity. Do you want to make a life decision that lasts for eternity based on funding for 5 years? If after the PhD, you discover you are not in the right career track, you will then start resetting your career, which ultimately screws you up.

My advice is for you to pursue your career goal and never let financing push you to make wrong choices. Look for funding opportunities - you will see them.

BOLD 2: I believe I can cope with PhD Finance

You can't really tell if you can cope with any program just like that. The best way to know is to take prerequisites or free courses online to have an idea if you can handle those courses.

BOLD 3: I want to escape this Nigeria misery

Do not be so much in a hurry and screw yourself up. Take your time to write as many test scores as you want and get the best score you can get. Take your time to get the required work experience for your desired course of study.

You don't want to rush to graduate school and discover you were underprepared for it.

Take your time - graduate school no dey run.

The best way to break through the job issue is by networking. If you network right, you will land a good job in Nigeria.

Thanks for your advice. I'll need to them. I'm grateful
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:39am On May 30, 2019
daseento:

Thanks for your advice. I'll need to them. I'm grateful

You're welcome

Send an email to bracelum@gmail.com if you have any followup questions
Re: Top Best Best Good Inversities In Nigeria by daseento(m): 5:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
@olabode89

Good evening.

Please I recently got Finland Government Scholarship to study MSc Industrial systems and Analytics at the University of Vaasa, Finland. I have keenly followed your contributions on the Finland thread and would be extremely glad if you can be my mentor on this journey.

I chose to reach out here because the Finland Nairaland thread is now cold.

My whatsapp number is 0.9.033302268

Thanks in anticipation of a favourable response.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Olutimehin Adegbeye Wins The 2019 Gerald Kraak Prize / UI Post UTME Student's Accommodation Dilema / James Hope College Celebrates Its First Graduation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.