Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,737 members, 7,824,089 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria (576 Views)

Mother Of Nine Commits Suicide In Delta / 15-Year-Old Kenyan Student Commits Suicide In Classroom, Leaves Suicide Note / UNIZIK Student Commits Suicide In Anambra (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria by CELL2ME2: 7:55am On May 21, 2019
Increase in the rate of suicide in African recently is becoming alarming. Looking at it personally, I think that there are 3 things that are contributing to this trend
1. Religious preachers deceiving their congregation, and preaching false doctrines about prosperity.
2. Social media and fake life associated with it.
3. Government falling woefully in their duty to control the type of poisonous substances sold in the open.
Africans (Nig) let us speak out and educate ourselves before this menace eats deep in us and becomes a norm.
Very soon they will start saying that the spirit of suicide has been released to the world, and you need to sow seed to avoid it.
Re: Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 21, 2019
CELL2ME2:
Increase in the rate of suicide in African recently is becoming alarming. Looking at it personally, I think that there are 3 things that are contributing to this trend
1. Religious preachers deceiving their congregation, and preaching false doctrines about prosperity.
2. Social media and fake life associated with it.
3. Government falling woefully in their duty to control the type of poisonous substances sold in the open.
Africans (Nig) let us speak out and educate ourselves before this menace eats deep in us and becomes a norm.
Very soon they will start saying that the spirit of suicide has been released to the world, and you need to sow seed to avoid it.
All you wrote are not totally correct.
Point number one is not correct false preachers with false teachings have been there from immemorial
Point number two is partially correct
Point number three is not correct at all. Poisonous substances have been there before the thought of suicide became rampant and would remain so. Don't forget there are many ways to die aside poisonous substances.
These are some of the factors responsible for suicide in this part of the world
1. Pressure from the society: There certain things the society expect from you as a person. Many believe that as an adult above 25 years, you settle down and have kids (prevalent to the female sex). They believe that you must marry by fire by force without considering your happiness. You can imagine many Nigerians especially on this forum wandering why Banky's wife isn't pregnant?many of them are monitoring spirit especially on this forum.
2. Pressure from families: This is similar to point one. You have inlaws, brothers,sisters,father,mother and other relatives to deal with. These persons would pressurize you to take decision beyound your capacity,it goes beyound just getting married and having kids.
3. Media: Many persons are influenced by what they see on the media as buttressed by you but it goes social media. Do you know that the idea of committing suicide emanate from some of these movies we watch on tv? Many persons have been inspired by what they see hence then tend to copy them
4. Capacity: Someone mentioned on this forum that this generation can not absorbed pain and shock hence they result to suicide unlike in the 70's,80's and 90's when suicide seen as a tarboo. You see many persons committing suicide because of their lovers, failed attempt in exams etc. I think men and women in this platform that experienced worst scenario should share their experience here so that many should learn. Everyone has a story to tell. I put it to you that the owner of this platform and his moderators all have one or more stories to share.

Possible solution to this menance;
1. Reach to your friends, neighbours or relatives who are ready to listen to you
2. Have this thought that if Mr A would make it after several attempt then i will. If i fall seven times i would rise again (7up).
3. Ignore people that are not willigly to assist because an average human being is selfish except for few
Re: Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria by CELL2ME2: 11:43am On May 22, 2019
cool
Re: Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria by CELL2ME2: 11:45am On May 22, 2019
asuustrike1:

Point number one is not correct false preachers with false teachings have been there from immemorial
Point number three is not correct at all. Poisonous substances have been there before the thought of suicide became rampant and would remain so. Don't forget there are many ways to die aside poisonous substances.
1. Pressure from the society: There certain things the society expect from you as a person. Many believe that as an adult above 25 years, you settle down and have kids (prevalent to the female sex). They believe that you must marry by fire by force without considering your happiness. You can imagine many Nigerians especially on this forum wandering why Banky's wife isn't pregnant?many of them are monitoring spirit especially on this forum.
2. Pressure from families: This is similar to point one. You have inlaws, brothers,sisters,father,mother and other relatives to deal with. These persons would pressurize you to take decision beyound your capacity,it goes beyound just getting married and having kids.
3. Media: Many persons are influenced by what they see on the media as buttressed by you but it goes social media. Do you know that the idea of committing suicide emanate from some of these movies we watch on tv? Many persons have been inspired by what they see hence then tend to copy them
4. Capacity: Someone mentioned on this forum that this generation can not absorbed pain and shock hence they result to suicide unlike in the 70's,80's and 90's when suicide seen as a tarboo. You see many persons committing suicide because of their lovers, failed attempt in exams etc. I think men and women in this platform that experienced worst scenario should share their experience here so that many should learn. Everyone has a story to tell. I put it to you that the owner of this platform and his moderators all have one or more stories to share.

1. Reach to your friends, neighbours or relatives who are ready to listen to you
2. Have this thought that if Mr A would make it after several attempt then i will. If i fall seven times i would rise again (7up).
3. Ignore people that are not willigly to assist because an average human being is selfish except for few

I respect your view and also agreed with you. But if you grew up in my generation you will understand what I mean when I talked about false preachings.
1. Then no preacher had private jet
2. Preachers then admonishes their congregations about Godly life and less materialism, but now its the opposite.
3. Churche is no longer a place of solenc, but a place torment for a struggling person.
Re: Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria by highbee02: 12:15pm On May 22, 2019
asuustrike1:

Re: Causes Of Suicide In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 22, 2019
CELL2ME2:

I respect your view and also agreed with you. But if you grew up in my generation you will understand what I mean when I talked about false preachings.
1. Then no preacher had private jet
2. Preachers then admonishes their congregations about Godly life and less materialism, but now its the opposite.
3. Churche is no longer a place of solenc, but a place torment for a struggling person.
It depends on the church you attend. Many youths prefer to attend new generation churches because it suit their needs. They say the old generation churches are archaic and old fashion whereas what you highlighted is what they do and preach. So whatever you see now is the fulfilment of bible prophecy in 1 Tim 4:1.

(1) (Reply)

Traveling Abroad Or Joining The Nigerian Navy / Finally!!! The Solution To Mass Failure In Waec, Gce And Neco Exams / DU A Unit - Ka Unit Question Solution 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.