Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,233 members, 7,818,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Hygiene In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hygiene In Nigeria (4398 Views)

Use Hydrogen Peroxide To Kill Ebola Virus On Surfaces And General Hygiene / "Joystick" Hygiene – What To Do And What To Avoid. / Toilet Hygiene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hygiene In Nigeria by bebe2007(m): 2:58pm On May 04, 2007
Hygiene simply put, is a way of cleanliness as a way of maintaining good health.
It is not "posh" like some people see it, its healthy habits put together to keep you safe from diseases. Its simple wash your hands after a long days job, after using the gents or ladies, brush your teeth, have a bath regularly, keep tidy hair, wear clean clothes (it must not be designers) and the like.

I have always thought that wouldnot be too hard to do until i came to LAGOS. My God! people stink in this town. Before you eat me raw, i know its not only Lagos but all over the world. Yes, am aware but LAGOS in my opinion takes the CROWN OF DIRTY PEOPLE!!!!! you are entitled to your own. Let me start with the conductors in the commercial buses cry cry cry the odour alone can make one die. Mouth -zero, clothes-zero, bath-zero, hair-zero to add it all attitude-
I always wonder how would a humanbeing go about that way. Its sad and it worries me greater. Like i have always been told, if you compalin too much about something, then do something about it. In this case what can i do? they are not reasonable people how do you get to talk yo them i wonder. Okada men nko! market women etc

Now down to workers generally, some people just donot care when they come to your office embarassed embarassed am like God what just died here? since i came back to Naija-lagos i have inhaled enough smell, odour to last me a life time. Guys will go to the Gents and wouldnt bother to wash their hands. Have you heard of "hepatitis B" (not sure of the spelling), everywhere you turn you see people picking/blowing their nose yuk! people just wee on the streets etc

Am tired of writing cannot go on, i just want to appeal to everyone to take time out and take care of their bodies. It pays alot ok. use a good tooth brush and toothpaste brush at least twice daily especially your tongue thats what makes your mouth smell. Change the toothbrush once in 3months and visit a dentist at least once a year. Use deodorants antiperspirant they are not expensive pls help yourselves. Use perfumes if you can afford it. Keep your hair clean and tidy always wash it. clean clothes are always better than one dirty designers jeans. pls keep your clothes clean, wash and dry them.

I see this as a forum to speak out and say exactly how i feel. I donot mean to offend anyone. We need a change or else we would all be sick.Help us to love you!!!

Cheers kiss
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by Reverend(m): 3:05pm On May 04, 2007
All I know is that the majority of Africans living in the East of London live dirty lives. They chuck litter on the floor in the street and on the tube. Lagos has to be one of the Worlds filthiest cities. Seeing how many Nigerians litter the streets of London it is no suprise to me that Lagos is such a sh1t hole.

There seems to be no respect for the place where you live!
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 1:24pm On May 06, 2007
bebe2007:

Hygiene simply put, is a way of cleanliness as a way of maintaining good health.
It is not "posh" like some people see it, its healthy habits put together to keep you safe from diseases. Its simple wash your hands after a long days job, after using the gents or ladies, brush your teeth, have a bath regularly, keep tidy hair, wear clean clothes (it must not be designers) and the like.

I have always thought that wouldnot be too hard to do until i came to LAGOS. My God! people stink in this town. Before you eat me raw, i know its not only Lagos but all over the world. Yes, am aware but LAGOS in my opinion takes the CROWN OF DIRTY PEOPLE!!!!! you are entitled to your own. Let me start with the conductors in the commercial buses cry cry cry the odour alone can make one die. Mouth -zero, clothes-zero, bath-zero, hair-zero to add it all attitude-
I always wonder how would a humanbeing go about that way. Its sad and it worries me greater. Like i have always been told, if you compalin too much about something, then do something about it. In this case what can i do? they are not reasonable people how do you get to talk yo them i wonder. Okada men nko! market women etc

Now down to workers generally, some people just donot care when they come to your office embarassed embarassed am like God what just died here? since i came back to Naija-lagos i have inhaled enough smell, odour to last me a life time. Guys will go to the Gents and wouldnt bother to wash their hands. Have you heard of "hepatitis B" (not sure of the spelling), everywhere you turn you see people picking/blowing their nose yuk! people just wee on the streets etc

Am tired of writing cannot go on, i just want to appeal to everyone to take time out and take care of their bodies. It pays alot ok. use a good tooth brush and toothpaste brush at least twice daily especially your tongue thats what makes your mouth smell. Change the toothbrush once in 3months and visit a dentist at least once a year. Use deodorants antiperspirant they are not expensive please help yourselves. Use perfumes if you can afford it. Keep your hair clean and tidy always wash it. clean clothes are always better than one dirty designers jeans. please keep your clothes clean, wash and dry them.
Cheers kiss

* brings out hand to shake our dearest poster for a job welldone*
I mean a job very very well done wink cheesy kiss

bebe2007:

I see this as a forum to speak out and say exactly how i feel. I donot mean to offend anyone. We need a change or else we would all be sick.Help us to love you!!!

I see no reason for annoyance here, anyone who gets offended is obviously in the number being addressed and should rather be grateful and heed to the time-taken-out advice up there ooh. I advice the person start thinking of possible ways to make hygiene a better word wink
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 2:27pm On May 06, 2007
@ topic

Yes ooh, some lack personal and general hygiene totally, some you wonder where they get off. Even if not for themselves but fot the safety and good of others  .  .  GEEZ angry

Whites are not that better, their only saviour is the weather here. Its so cold, windy and breezy that the odour is taken by it, and for that i couldn't be happier but in naija and other african countries its so bleeping hot that the[b] sweat + accumulated dirt + stuffy weather = ewoo Chineke(God) run to the rescue of our noses !! grin[/b]
All these white friends of mine, i get shocked at the fact that they take their bath once or twice a week shocked They even see you as the weired one for bathing daily. So proud telling you of how they wake up at 07.45am to be at school at 8.00am lol.
Their only priority is their faces, you know now, the make-up thing is soooo important, or else the world might just dissappear. Ok and their hair comes second lmao grin grin *beauty and cleanliness in the surface* *sighs at the level of ignorance*

The worst thing is how someone that is aware they have bad-mouth-hygiene, will not mind talking straight into your nose, mouth and face (its as if for that minute you lost your breath to the fishes, imagine reaping a fellow human-being the right God gave us to fresh air angry )*æsj*, its ok if you want to swim in "bacteria and virus" but please spare the rest of us that want to live long lol grin grin grin

And then those that will spray perfumes after not taking their bath in ages, my o my, come sniff odour, perfume + rotten body odour = (are we safe?we're finished) grin grin

And to the men: I've come across many african men who think hygiene is for women alone, because they have sticks and therefore are above "body odour", please wake up and get the news flash: it goes both ways, and believe me "guys stink too"

Better to be untidy and clean than the other way round, only you is liable to the consequences, and at least our noses can shake hands with fresh air wink 

Yes, hygiene is an A-class priority imporatnce!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by omoge(f): 3:55pm On May 07, 2007
God bless my dad, I don't know where he learnt his from, maybe the military school.

at a very young age, the first book he gave me was a book called Personal Hygiene and ventilation. I would read it and then read it back to him.
First thing in the morning dress your bed. after that we are given chew stick and few minutes later, we all lined up in front of the house with our brush and tooth paste and a set aside table knife for the tongue. he will take it from us and help us brush. your teeth and then the tongue and the lips, oh goodness! I cried at the begining but as time went on, it was fun doing it.

our neighbors back then will be peeping at us like we were something else. shower is daily and so is changing your clothes. my mama taught me how to shower. scrub 2ice and wash down below a MUST and very well.

he talked about Personal hygiene and Ventilation every blessed day until it became a second nature. It's something that has remained with me to this day.

You are right Poster, Reverend and cute ass, Personal hygiene, it's something many don't think is important. it's not something that is hard to do. I'm sure it's just laziness on the individual part. Those odors are killing.  

here, I hate it when they yawn without closing their mouth in class. that smell, it's so repulsive. you will see them wake up and just head to the fridge for milk or orange juice. back to the room and spray their fruits perfume (strawberry type and others) and off to class. I will be like where is the brushing and shower? if you are that hurrying, why not get up on time like i do? Aha! I can only imagine o.

some lagosian, Lagos and many other places are dirty yes. the people are too lazy to take care of themselves. I don't think it's money to buy those things maybe to some people they don't have the money.

i don't think it will be too hard or expensive for everyone around the world to spend little of their income for Brush, toothpaste, Floss, mouth wash, sponge and soap.

and to some white and Asian too, even with the weather and winds, there is that common repulsive odor that make you breathless when they (some) pass you!!! oh goodness, was it garlic or what!

Let's not take offence but just pay more attention to our daily hygiene.

Cheers.
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by pannyman(m): 9:13pm On May 20, 2007
bebe2007 you are damn right about people who go to the toilet and don't bother to wash their hands. I kept a bar of soap in the office loo when I discovered that the managment was being a bit tight-fisted about toileteries. To my amazement, it appears am the only person who uses it because it has been there for such a long time. And this is a toilet that is used by not less than 7 people. People fail to observe basic hygiene then later wonder how they got typhoid fever.
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 10:42pm On May 20, 2007
@ pannyman

LOL @ your soap for-washing-hands-after-toilet visits story. You reminded me of something and i just can't stop laughing.

One day, all of us working in the rception and our boss with his assistant, had a work-related meeting. After the meeting, my boss decided to take us all out to a "pizza joint", to dine and wine, afterall it was saturday evening wink

On getting there, my boss has to use the men's, he came out, we ate and drank and had fun. After the meal,he was like he had to go to the rest-room again, On coming back to the table, he was so so shocked shocked

He was like, "when he left the men's earlier, he had used the last drop of soap that was in there, but to his amazement when he got back this second time, the soap was still empty (mind you, the distance from the men's to the ladies is farer than telling a staff to fill it up, so No, they didn't borrow from the ladies)

His $2 million question was "there have been at least 10 guests to the toilet between his both visits, what the hell have those ones been washing their hands with??" shocked shocked

Food for thought!!!!!! wink
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by donjohano(m): 10:45pm On May 20, 2007
And that's not all - consider this. A man has to handle his equipment to urinate. After shaking hands with everybody at the bar, how much bacteria is he transferring down there?
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by bebe2007(m): 9:57am On May 21, 2007
I give Kuddos to Dora Akinyuli NAFDAC chair person in Naija. She has done well at least compared to those that were in that office before her. I still think there is more to be done. Do you guys know what i saw yesterday, God am so irritated! i saw people carrying meat into the boot of a car, unwrapped, uncovered, these men are butchers going to the market to sell the meat for christ sake. There were these lot standing around them too carrying the meat like babies in their arms, running after moving vehicles in the street hawking. Dirty looking men. I was too shocked to speak honestly. I wish NAFDAC can come hard on these butchers and the resturants around Lagos. They would probably buy these kind of meat cuz it would be cheaper for them. NAFDAC should not concentrate only on drugs and water. We need help fast.
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by Olowoaiye(m): 12:11pm On May 21, 2007
you guys can start a personal hygiene crusade but you aren't going to get far with it in this naija.

bebe2007:

That bus conductor probably stays in a single room apartment (face me i face you) with five other boys, hustlers all of them. the apartment likely has six other rooms (5x6=30) with 1 pit latrine and 1 showerstall to serve all 30 of them. running water or even borehole=nil. the aboki with his pushcart sells water at N20 per keg which is more than conductor has left in his pocket when he wakes up and lights out, crack of dawn, to face another crazy day on the streets. if he had any cash in his pocket to start the day with, he would rather spend it on breakfast than on two buckets of bath water.

WTF, Mr. Bus Conductor most likely owns just two shirts and a pair of trousers, he washes them once in a month, in the night, for them to dry overnight so he can use them the following day, and does he een remember to chew pako or use a toothbrush before he sets out for the day? Ditto for most of the marketwomen, barrowboys, danfo drivers.
these people were simply not brought up that way. The exigencies of life at the bottom of the socioeconomic pyramid have completely eclipsed the finer points of personal hygiene for them.

just thank God for your parents, and the benefit of a good education, barring which (privileges) you miight not actually view hygiene as a 'given', afterall.

But i wish you luck good luck per the crusade. wink
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by DisGuy: 10:07pm On May 21, 2007
oloaiye are you a retired conductor cheesy

afterall is said and done, you na go still go buy suya o

Dont worry people Nigeria is one of the best place in the world especially Lagos shocked
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by jenny2007(f): 11:58am On May 23, 2007
@bebe2007; u r absolutely right. Lagos has got to be the dirtiest place that i have ever been too. The House of Assembly should just divide that state up into about 3 or 4 states. It is too rowdy and populated and everyone u see is just shitting on the streets angry angry angry angry. The thing that i dread most whenever i'm in Naija is seeing those open and filthy gutters and it doesn't help wen you have to cross over some of them to walk into almost any street in Lagos. I'm thinking of saving up enough cash to rent in Abuja when i finally decide to settle bck in Naija.
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by bebe2007(m): 12:16am On May 28, 2007
Being poor is definately not an excuse to be dirty. Its ridiculous, i dont care if the conductor has only two shirts, he should practice wash and wear. Transporters make enough money. They can afford to buy water. If they cant then , they shouldnt bother with the job. They should think about the comfort of their customers first.

@jenny2007, babes i feel you. Am on my way to Abuja definately. If i spend a year in this town i probably might contact something. I went to surulere sometime last week and the whole place was stinking, over flowing cutters!!! its so terrible i cant live there, God help me. In abuja its totally different thats if you stay in town o! dunno about the satellite towns though.I love that city!!! its the place to be in Naija. You get good quality life. But like El-Rufai (minister of Abuja) says, "if you are not gainfully employed, Abuja is not the place for you". You have to plan well before you move there.
Re: Hygiene In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 2:01am On Jun 05, 2007
sitting back and enjoying this thread[sub][/sub] cool

(1) (Reply)

Can I Have Interpretation Of This Typhoid And Malaria Test? / How To Pass A Drug Test / Combination 3 Pills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.