Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? (719 Views)

Why Are Trump Supporters Not Ashamed Of Themselves? / Why There Are Trump Supporters In Nigeria/africa / Trump China Trade Deal Agreed, US To Roll Back Tariffs In Stages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 4:58pm On May 21, 2019
More than 170 footwear companies signed a letter sent to President Trump urging him to not go ahead with extra tariffs on $300 billion of Chinese goods. The letter was signed by footwear industry heavyweights such as Nike (NKE), Adidas (ADDYY) Crocs (CROX), and Under Armour (UA) among others.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/this-is-unfathomable-american-shoe-brands-unite-against-trump-195135138.html

that is not how tariffs work. China’s government and companies in China do not pay tariffs directly. Tariffs are a tax on imports. They are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs for the goods they import into the United States.
Importers often pass the costs of tariffs on to customers - manufacturers and consumers in the United States - by raising their prices.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-tariffs-explainer/who-pays-trumps-tariffs-china-or-u-s-customers-and-companies-idUKKCN1SR1UI

The trade war with China could cause prices to rise on everything from toys to clothing, but it also could lead to “widespread store closures,” according to a report by UBS.
The investment bank's analysis said tariffs on Chinese imports could put $40 billion of sales and 12,000 stores at risk.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/20/us-china-trade-war-tariffs-could-lead-12-000-store-closings/3688010002/

Falling grain prices (as the charts below show) since their peak in 2012/2013 caused farm revenues to drop by approximately 50%, making it harder for farmers to cover their debt payments. The situation was exacerbated by the recent trade war that led to China slashing their imports of American soybeans, which has resulted in a soybean glut.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2018/11/29/heres-why-more-american-farms-are-going-bankrupt/
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 21, 2019
FTC toh badt
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by Anduku: 5:00pm On May 21, 2019
No! on the contrary, he is making America great again
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 21, 2019
I personally dont like Trump, but he is right on this one. Of course there is cost, but the cost of doing nothing is greater.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 5:12pm On May 21, 2019
Tariffs are tricky sometimes. American companies should move operations out of China for manufacturing of goods to be exported back to the USA, good strategy for the long term. Trump just had a deal signed with USA/Mexico/Canada, no tariffs for food and agriculture products.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 6:15pm On May 21, 2019
CTPlayer:
Tariffs are tricky sometimes. American companies should move operations out of China for manufacturing of goods to be exported back to the USA, good strategy for the long term. Trump just had a deal signed with USA/Mexico/Canada, no tariffs for food and agriculture products.
Sounds like he is removing tariffs he put in place. I hear he's tempering his Huawei ban too. Is that because he shot first and didn't like the consequences of his own shootings? I'm wondering if voters would not like it either.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 6:36pm On May 21, 2019
budaatum:

Sounds like he is removing tariffs he put in place. I hear he's tempering his Huawei ban too. Is that because he shot first and didn't like the consequences of his own shootings? I'm wondering if voters would not like it either.
The Huawei security threat could be real. I believe they have been charged in the US Federal courts for something. They have very little market share in the US. Apple, Samsung, Motorola are the big sellers I think, LG, Nokia/Microsoft also.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 6:44pm On May 21, 2019
CTPlayer:
The Huawei security threat could be real. I believe they have been charged in the US Federal courts for something. They have very little market share in the US. Apple, Samsung, Motorola are the big sellers I think, LG, Nokia/Microsoft also.
You believe it could be real? Is that because there's no evidence for you to actually know?

Huawei are not mainly about phones but about the infrastructure which none of the companies you listed do. And they are already in America so you should have sufficient evidence by now to upgrade your belief to actual knowledge.

Huawei, the world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker, was charged with bank and wire fraud, violating sanctions against Iran and obstructing justice.

Note though that US used secret surveillance of Huawei as basis for charges, the exact same thing China and Huawei are accused of.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 7:14pm On May 21, 2019
budaatum:

You believe it could be real? Is that because there's no evidence for you to actually know?

Huawei are not mainly about phones but about the infrastructure which none of the companies you listed do. And they are already in America so you should have sufficient evidence by now to upgrade your belief to actual knowledge.

Huawei, the world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker, was charged with bank and wire fraud, violating sanctions against Iran and obstructing justice.

Note though that US used secret surveillance of Huawei as basis for charges, the exact same thing China and Huawei are accused of.

The NDAA ban of Huawei networking gear in USA Federal agencies will stick. The USA also banned the sale Kapersky software to Federal agencies. Kapersky sued and lost. Huawei manufactured networking gear is not going to be installed inside the Federal Govt of the USA. Can you imagine an American company trying to install networking gear inside the Federal government of China? LOL.

Even if they win the lawsuit they can't "force" anything lol.
Huawei is suing the U.S. over a law that bans government agencies from buying the Chinese technology giant’s equipment, claiming the legislation is unconstitutional.
The lawsuit focuses on a provision in a law known as the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/07/huawei-sues-the-us-over-ban-preventing-it-from-selling-its-equipment.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 7:35pm On May 21, 2019
CTPlayer:

The NDAA ban of Huawei networking gear in USA Federal agencies will stick. The USA also banned the sale Kapersky software to Federal agencies. Kapersky sued and lost. Huawei manufactured networking gear is not going to be installed inside the Federal Govt of the USA. Can you imagine an American company trying to install networking gear inside the Federal government of China? LOL.

Even if they win the lawsuit they can't "force" anything lol.
Huawei is suing the U.S. over a law that bans government agencies from buying the Chinese technology giant’s equipment, claiming the legislation is unconstitutional.
The lawsuit focuses on a provision in a law known as the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/07/huawei-sues-the-us-over-ban-preventing-it-from-selling-its-equipment.html
Kapersky was not banned in the USA. It's the Government who have banned purchase of it and anyone who wants it in USA can buy it there, except Government and its agencies. And Huawei is not exactly suing for its manufactured networking gear to be installed inside the Federal Govt of the USA, but that a "legislative act that pronounces a specific individual or group guilty of some offense and punishes them without due process is forbidden by the U.S. Constitution." They can't after all force the "Federal Govt of the USA" to buy their products as you've rightly stated, but they can insist the Constitution of the USA be upheld, though I doubt they'd win.

Personally, I wouldn't believe (to denote that I don't exactly know and I'm not sure) that US is not doing this to favour Apple except at the unperceived consequential expense of American companies who do rely on Huawei.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 7:53pm On May 21, 2019
budaatum:

Kapersky was not banned in the USA. It's the Government who have banned purchase of it and anyone who wants it in USA can buy it there, except Government and its agencies. And Huawei is not exactly suing for its manufactured networking gear to be installed inside the Federal Govt of the USA, but that a "legislative act that pronounces a specific individual or group guilty of some offense and punishes them without due process is forbidden by the U.S. Constitution." They can't after all force the "Federal Govt of the USA" to buy their products as you've rightly stated, but they can insist the Constitution of the USA be upheld, though I doubt they'd win.

Personally, I wouldn't believe (to denote that I don't exactly know and I'm not sure) that US is not doing this to favour Apple except at the unperceived consequential expense of American companies who do rely on Huawei.

US federal agencies can't buy and install Kapersky. It is on the banned list. Kapersky sued and lost in 2017. Americans are free to buy and install Kapersky. US federal agencies can't buy and install Huawei products. It is on the banned list. Huawei sued the case is pending. American are free to buy Huawei products.

Huawei's law suit is not about winning, it is about public relations. They want to be able to sell and install their networking gear i[b]n other countries [/b]including inside government agencies. This is what it is all about.

The "Five Eyes" (FVEY) refers to an alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries are bound by the multilateral UKUSA Agreement for joint cooperation in signals intelligence, military intelligence, and human intelligence.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 8:42pm On May 21, 2019
CTPlayer:

US federal agencies can't buy and install Kapersky. It is on the banned list. Kapersky sued and lost in 2017. Americans are free to buy and install Kapersky. US federal agencies can't buy and install Huawei products. It is on the banned list. Huawei sued the case is pending. American are free to buy Huawei products.

Huawei's law suit is not about winning, it is about public relations. They want to be able to sell and install their networking gear i[b]n other countries [/b]including inside government agencies. This is what it is all about.

The "Five Eyes" (FVEY) refers to an alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries are bound by the multilateral UKUSA Agreement for joint cooperation in signals intelligence, military intelligence, and human intelligence.
UK is dithering. We haven't decided to ban Huawei yet because we haven't seen any evidence to.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 9:15pm On May 21, 2019
budaatum:

UK is dithering. We haven't decided to ban Huawei yet because we haven't seen any evidence to.

This is all I need to know about them.

Table of high-ranking websites blocked in mainland China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 3:22am On May 22, 2019
CTPlayer:

This is all I need to know about them.

Table of high-ranking websites blocked in mainland China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China
So, a tit for tat? And that's ok by me by the way. If China can ban Google, FB, Twitter and many others for no reason except economic, then America can ban Huawei too, and for whatever reason in fact. Why lie about it is what I can't get over. Lying just diminishes one's point.

Oh, I know why. We can't get UK et al to ban them too if we don't lie! Shame!
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 3:42am On May 22, 2019
budaatum:

So, a tit for tat? And that's ok by me by the way. If China can ban Google, FB, Twitter and many others for no reason except economic, then America can ban Huawei too, and for whatever reason in fact. Why lie about it is what I can't get over. Lying just diminishes one's point.

Oh, I know why. We can't get UK et al to ban them too if we don't lie! Shame!
Huawei isn't banned you lying loser. Their attempted takeover of 5G telecom is. You know dam well it isn't economic. Move to China where you have zero rights LOL. China won't let you move there. Fucking idiot go move to China.
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by CTPlayer: 3:47am On May 22, 2019
budaatum:

Dumbass, oh the Chinese will like me more than the Brits LOL. LOSER!
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by JeromeBlack: 11:10am On May 22, 2019
Anyone who believes that Trump will make America great again is a fool, especially if that person is a Nigerian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 4:16pm On May 22, 2019
CTPlayer:

Huawei isn't banned you lying loser. Their attempted takeover of 5G telecom is. You know dam well it isn't economic. Move to China where you have zero rights LOL. China won't let you move there. Fucking idiot go move to China.
I didn't know this was about human rights CT. And why the insults? You seemed more intelligent than this!

US ban on Huawei a ‘cynically timed’ blow in escalating trade war, says firm

1 Like

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by Temple1288(m): 7:42pm On May 22, 2019
JeromeBlack:
Anyone who believes that Trump will make America great again is a fool, especially if that person is a Nigerian.

Shut the fuçk up! You're so dumb... Just shut the fuçk up!

1 Like

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by JeromeBlack: 7:57pm On May 22, 2019
Temple1288:

Shut the fuçk up! You're so dumb... Just shut the fuçk up!

Trump is a clown. Enjoy your pain
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by Temple1288(m): 8:44pm On May 22, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Trump is a clown. Enjoy your pain

You're the one enjoying the pain cuz you'd live to see him reelected into office!
Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 8:30pm On May 23, 2019
The IHS Markit Flash US Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index fell two full points from 52.6 in April to 50.6 in May. Above 50 means growth, so this is still growth, but it’s a heck of a lot slower growth than a month ago, and very near the zero-growth red line in the chart (data via Investing.com):

Re: Are Trump's Tariffs Making America Ungreat Again? by budaatum: 2:11am On May 24, 2019
Trump announces $16 billion in aid to farmers as trade war continues. The bailout is the second aid package issued to help the agriculture industry as tensions with China remain high.

(1) (Reply)

Video: President Trump Grants Presidential Pardon To A Live Turkey / Did Iran Intentionally Miss Areas With Americans? / Australian Shop Uses 'Genius Idea' To Stop People Stockpiling Toilet Roll (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.