Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan (3544 Views)

Why This Duaah Is Recommended? / Sultan Announces Commencement Of Ramadan 1441AH - 2020 / The Nafilat In The Night Of Ramadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:31am On May 22, 2019
I‘tikaaf means staying in the mosque to worship Allah, may He be glorified and exalted.

I’tikaaf is prescribed according to the Qur’aan and Sunnah and scholarly consensus.

In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and We commanded Ibraaheem (Abraham) and Ismaa’eel (Ishmael) that they should purify My House (the Ka‘bah at Makkah) for those who are circumambulating it, or staying (I’tikaaf), or bowing or prostrating themselves (there, in prayer)”

[al-Baqarah 2:125]

“And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives) while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

With regard to the Sunnah, there are many ahaadeeth, such as the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to observe i'tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadaan until Allaah took his soul, then his wives observed i’tikaaf after he was gone. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2026; Muslim, 1172.

With regard to scholarly consensus, more than one of the scholars narrated that there was scholarly consensus that i’tikaaf is prescribed in sharee’ah, such as al-Nawawi, Ibn Qudaamah, Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, and others.

See al-Majmoo’, 6/404; al-Mughni, 4/456; Sharh al-‘Umdah, 2/711.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 15/437:

Undoubtedly i’tikaaf in the mosque is an act of worship, and (observing it) in Ramadaan is better than at other times. It is prescribed in Ramadaan and at other times.

Secondly:

The ruling on i’tikaaf.

The basic principle is that i’tikaaf is recommended not obligatory, unless one made a vow to do it, in which case it becomes obligatory, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever vows to obey Allaah, let him obey Him, and whoever vows to disobey Him, let him not disobey Him.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6696.

And ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “O Messenger of Allaah, during the Jaahiliyyah I vowed to observe i’tikaaf for one night in al-Masjid al-Haraam.” He said: “Fulfil your vow.” (6697).

The purpose of i‘tikaaf is for the individual to devote his time to worshipping Allah, may He be exalted, far removed from everything that may distract him. Therefore the Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) used to observe i‘tikaaf in a small tent inside the mosque, so that this place would be only for the person who was observing i‘tikaaf and he would not be distracted by other people in the mosque, as he could not see them and they could not see him.

This is what the person who is observing i‘tikaaf should be keen to do, but if he speaks briefly to some of the people, or someone comes to visit him and he talks to him, there is nothing wrong with that.

But this conversation should be in a low voice, so as not to distract any of those who are remembering Allah, may He be exalted, reading Qur’an or praying in the mosque.

And this talk should be brief and should not distract him from the purpose of i‘tikaaf.

Al-Bukhaari (2035) and Muslim (2175) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Husayn that Safiyyah – the wife of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) – told him that she came to the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) to visit him when he was in i‘tikaaf in the mosque during the last ten days of Ramadan, and she spoke to him for a while, then she got up to leave, and the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) got up with her.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

The deeds of the one who is in i‘tikaaf may be divided into several categories: those that are permissible, those that are prescribed and encouraged, and those that are prohibited.

As for those that are prescribed, he should focus on worshiping Allah and seeking to draw closer to Him, because this is the essence and purpose of i‘tikaaf. Therefore it is limited to the mosques (and cannot be done elsewhere).

Another category is that which is prohibited, which refers to anything that is contrary to i‘tikaaf, such as if the person was to go outside of the mosque with no excuse, or to buy or sell, or to have intercourse with his wife, and other deeds that would cancel out i‘tikaaf because they are contrary to its purpose.

The third category is that which is permissible and allowed, such as talking to people, asking them how they are and other things that Allah, may He be exalted, has permitted to the one who is observing i‘tikaaf.

End quote from Majmoo‘ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-‘Uthaymeen (20/175-176)

Source here to read in full

and also here.

6 Likes

Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by Kokoebapluse(m): 9:39am On May 24, 2019
May Almighty Allah bless you

7 Likes

Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by 9isguy(m): 9:40am On May 24, 2019
Alhamdullilah

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by Sankabson(m): 9:49am On May 24, 2019
Can someone recommend for me where I can perform I’tikaaf in Ibadan.. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by reccy(m): 9:51am On May 24, 2019
Alhamdulilah... I'm loving this..
Jummah Mubarak

1 Like

Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by richkal(m): 10:40am On May 24, 2019
Sankabson:

Arisekola Central Mosque at Iwo road
OTM Central Mosque at Boluwaji

Can someone please provide meme of a man holding wall clock waiting for iftar time while having fruits and foods on the table. Thanks in advance.
Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by Teejay510(m): 5:23pm On May 24, 2019
may Allah accept our ibadah... can any one show me where to do that in any mosque here. in Benin.
Re: I'tikaaf Is Recommended In The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan by Alkanoicacid(m): 8:29pm On May 24, 2019
Sankabson:

The Green Mosque.
Kamjat bustop, Gbagi Ibadan.

(1) (Reply)

Mecca Under Threat: Outrage At Plan To Destroy The ‘birthplace’ Of The Prophet / Acadip And Her Likes Are Not Muslims / Top 10 Most Beautiful Mosques (masjids) In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.