Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle (8314 Views)

Power Generation Falls By 503MW, Workers Threaten Strike / Power Generation Falls To 2,970MW On Discos’ Demand / Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:17am On May 23, 2019
tactius:
Generation and distribution have been in private hands since 2014.

All government does is bail them out because they ain't making enough money because sadly Nigerians see power as something that should be free

Just like rice farmers see ABP loans as free money yet government keeps giving them more money to buy their votes
Corruption fighting corruption!

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:18am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

Do you mean no show for their 20,000 Mw promised

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3492308_buhari20000mwelectricitypromise_jpegb3d308b82b0aaf0f68a6c50acecfbb5c

Someone has suggested elsewhere that we need 4 trillion naira to get up to 20000 mw.

The problem is

1.It would require tightening of belts, which is politically unpopular

2.It would also mean taking a long term loan, again not popular, again most international lenders don't trust Nigerians

At.any rate, privatization means Nigerians instead of govt pay for power.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by HarryDuce(m): 8:19am On May 23, 2019
Ehyaa... Here in PH, the power supply just got better.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:19am On May 23, 2019
IkpuMmadu:
The inept clown said that power generation isn't rocket science .

LoL

The journalists misquoted him. He meant that stealing money and looting is not rocket sicence for him.
Barawos incorporated!

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:20am On May 23, 2019
tactius:
Someone has suggested elsewhere that we need 4 trillion naira to get up to 20000 mw.

The problem is

1.It would require tightening of belts, which is politically unpopular

2.It would also mean taking a long term loan, again not popular, again most international lenders don't trust Nigerians

At.any rate, privatization means Nigerians instead of govt pay for power.

Buhari was ignorant of all these facts when he made his promise after looking for the job three times
Are you for real?

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Seetto: 8:22am On May 23, 2019
I don't know what government is waiting for that they cannot nationalised this foolish discos, politicians bought it, they are operating it like family business, discos is another scam like the oil subsidy regime,
Why must they reject load when, we don't have enough, energy cannot be stored, this responsible for system collapse.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by LordPsalm(m): 8:22am On May 23, 2019
Kudos to the best man the North can offer Buhari
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:22am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

Just like rice farmers see ABP loans as free money yet government keeps giving them more money to buy their votes
Corruption fighting corruption!

The truth is Nigerians have to stop expecting everything to be free.

Take petroleum and power. If we ran both as the businesses they should be run, there would be an improvement in power.

But because prices would shoot up, leading to protests, no politicians would do that.

Atiku rightly proposed privatization of NNPC, then went on to propose increasing subsidy on fuel. The APC's inefficient subsidy regimen too is another issue.

Discos have to be run as businesses. Everyone must be metered. Prices have to go up to cover cost of generation. Profits mist be made and reinvested.

But no political person wants to lose power
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Ekpeitut: 8:23am On May 23, 2019
Increase in fuel pump price -no protest
Massive job losses -no protest
Unprecedented levels of hopelessness -no protest
Herdsmen raiding and killing -no protest
Suicides on a daily basis -no protest
Poor infrastructures, hospitals, no electricity still no protest.

What happened to all the occupy Nigeria movement & BBOG ish. Things weren't this bad then and they were all over the place crying. Now that things have gone from bad to worse utter silence. angry

At what point do say enough is enough in this country?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by kurupt1: 8:24am On May 23, 2019
tactius:

Power has been privatised since 2014, long before Master Rocket Science took over.

All he can do now is

1.Negotiate for a long term loan to fix transmission

2.Force discos to.meter everyone

3.Allow discos charge the prices they want to charge, and allow competition

Thanks to privatization, we are now the ones responsible for funding the power sector.

Your getting it wrong.....the generation aspect of power is still government controlled while the distribution aspect is in private hands

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:24am On May 23, 2019
Seetto:
I don't know what government is waiting for that they cannot nationalised this foolish discos, politicians bought it, they are operating it like family business, discos is another scam like the oil subsidy regime,
Why must they reject load when, we don't have enough, energy cannot be stored, this responsible for system collapse.

They reject load because thanks to the fact that they are forced by law to charge bills below the cost of production, plus the fact that many people don't pay for their power, rich and poor, discos don't have enough cash for GENCOs

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Fash20: 8:25am On May 23, 2019
In 2019 we cant still generate enough energy to meet our need. Who are we decieving in this country...
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:26am On May 23, 2019
tactius:
The truth is Nigerians have to stop expecting everything to be free.

Take petroleum and power. If we ran both as the businesses they should be run, there would be an improvement in power.

But because prices would shoot up, leading to protests, no politicians would do that.

Atiku rightly proposed privatization of NNPC, then went on to propose increasing subsidy on fuel. The APC's inefficient subsidy regimen too is another issue.

Discos have to be run as businesses. Everyone must be metered. Prices have to go up to cover cost of generation. Profits mist be made and reinvested.

But no political person wants to lose power

Where did you see the bold part please?
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Askme8: 8:26am On May 23, 2019
tactius:
It is bad, but the fact is, fixing the problem needs cash, and lots of it.

If Nigerians and their government agencies, rich and poor pay their bills regularly, power might just improve.

If we want 24/7 power, we needs must pay for it.

Simple.

Revolution won't change the problem.
u must be a benefactor of this thing they called APC maladministration. How can u pay for something u don't see? When u will use light for 3days out of 30days of the month, at the end they will bill u #12000.who is cheating who? The masses or the govt.if u are talking of paying of bills, in the western world u don't expect an unemploy person to pay 5% tax when he/she is not working. Rather the govt pays u stipend until u get a job and u will be tax from your salary and u pay your remaining bills.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:29am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

Do you mean no show for their 20,000 Mw promised

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3492308_buhari20000mwelectricitypromise_jpegb3d308b82b0aaf0f68a6c50acecfbb5c
Where is that paid rat plaindealer? He should also com and praise govt for fixing power like the phantom rails

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:30am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

Where did you see the bold part please?
Thanks.

He proposed reducing prices from N145 to N90.

That represents an increase in subsidy

I don't blame him. Any politicians who says subsidy has to go is essentially saying he does not want to win votes
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by IkpuMmadu: 8:31am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

The journalists misquoted him. He meant that stealing money and looting is not rocket sicence for him.
Barawos incorporated!

Oh now I see...maybe we have to redeploy the clown to NASA so he can figure out the best propulsion for rockets

Dude is a total failure . He talks too much

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:32am On May 23, 2019
Askme8:
u must be a benefactor of this thing they called APC maladministration. How can u pay for something u don't see? When u will use light for 3days out of 30days of the month, at the end they will bill u #12000.who is cheating who? The masses or the govt.if u are talking of paying of bills, in the western world u don't expect an unemploy person to pay 5% tax when he/she is not working. Rather the govt pays u stipend until u get a job and u will be tax from your salary and u pay your remaining bills.

I'm.no beneficiary.

Just someone who GEJs privatization program inspired me to read about the whole power thing, which led me to stop blaming the last and current governments wholly for our power issues

Right now, we need money to fix power. Got an extra trillion now?
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by IkpuMmadu: 8:33am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

Barawos incorporated!
anonimi:

Barawos incorporated!

Oh now I see...maybe we have to redeploy the clown to NASA so he can figure out the best propulsion for rockets

Dude is a total failure . He talks too much

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:34am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

Buhari was ignorant of all these facts when he made his promise after looking for the job three times
Are you for real?

So you are that easily decided by politicians.?

Politicians lie. It is up to us to hold them accountable.

I heard all the APC and PDP lies back in 2015,which is why I don't support either of them. Tell Nigerians the truth, and then give us a plan. But no

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Askme8: 8:35am On May 23, 2019
Askme8:
u don't expect me to keep pay for wat is not practical, the excesses that they get from the estimated bills let them use it to fix power for us, when will begin to see light we will happily pay for it,who no like better thing.in a sane world everything u pay for u get it
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:36am On May 23, 2019
tactius:
He proposed reducing prices from N145 to N90.

That represents an increase in subsidy

I don't blame him. Any politicians who says subsidy has to go is essentially saying he does not want to win votes

Can't the reduction come from increased competition, as happened with telecoms, in the medium term from privatisation/deregulation

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by maxzzo1(m): 8:38am On May 23, 2019
Fashola!!!
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 8:38am On May 23, 2019
Hmm, 9ja our con3

Is it that they cannot decentralise this power generation and distribution stations?

How can something that happened in Lagos affect the whole country?

Can't each state generate and distribute their own power?

What sort of a country is this for God sake

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by mmsen: 8:38am On May 23, 2019
tactius:
It is bad, but the fact is, fixing the problem needs cash, and lots of it.

If Nigerians and their government agencies, rich and poor pay their bills regularly, power might just improve.

If we want 24/7 power, we needs must pay for it.

Simple.

Revolution won't change the problem.

If Federal government stops spending money stupidly on useless senators such as Melaye etc then they might have more to spend on things that matter, such as electricity.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:41am On May 23, 2019
Buckubuck:
Where is that paid rat plaindealer? He should also com and praise govt for fixing power like the phantom rails

E don go sleep. He worked all night planting propaganda and lies upandan. E nor easy to defend an incompetent dullard now grin
I hope the he is getting well paid for his efforts because all the volunteers have disappeared after hunger and poverty clear them eyes.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2329446_2310894imageedit25559604097jpeg6207133cb2251c60c0d3e307c28d235c_jpeg43e795ffbb3dd3fc428ae16fab3b0fbd

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by anonimi: 8:48am On May 23, 2019
mmsen:
If Federal government stops spending money stupidly on useless senators such as Melaye etc then they might have more to spend on things that matter, such as electricity.

You made a good point but spoilt it by being partial. Is Remi Tinubu or former governor Bukar Abbah more useful than Melaye or they collect less money?
Why leave out Buhari and Osinbajo who "spend" billions in Aso Rock while minimum wage is N18,000

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3626665_hilarious_jpeg1ecdcdffc482a4c4b104159dc2f70be2

Firefire:

‘A budget that moves domestic spending in Aso Villa from N580m to N1.7bn cannot be a budget of change’

Abuja – Sen. Eyinnaya Abaribe (PDP Abia South) on Wednesday in Abuja, berated the 2016 budget and called on President Muhammaduu Buhari to withdraw it and go back to the drawing board.

Abaribe while making contributions during the consideration of the budget, said the proposal was faulty on many grounds and could not be implemented at it was.

He said that predication of oil benchmark at 38 dollars per barrel when the crude oil price had fallen below 30 dollars per barrel made the budget unrealistic.

Abaribe faulted the government for increasing spending by 30 per cent based on borrowing.

“Mr President, my colleagues, this budget is indeed unique. After the budget presentation, the finance minister has never come to explain the details of the budget as it is normally done.

“It is a budget of change I agree, but it is a change in the wrong direction. I say it is a change in the wrong direction because it says that it is based on zero budgeting requiring all expenses to be fully justified.

“Mr President, a budget that increases spending up to 30 per cent based solely on borrowing, in what way are we justified? That is the question we want to ask the people who brought this budget.

“We know what is going on in the global economy: this budget is predicated on an oil benchmark of 38 dollars per barrel and I can now say that with oil being 28 dollars today, this budget is dead on arrival.

“The job of the opposition is to help the government to get its priorities right, so I want to please urge this government to withdraw this budget and go back to the drawing board,” he said.

The senator also faulted the adjustments made in the budget as well as allocation for spending in the Aso Rock Villa, saying that it was too exorbitant.

He said that the adjustments rather than reduce spending in areas where they were not necessary only spread it into different offices.

“Mr President, a budget that moves domestic spending within Aso Villa from N580 million to N1.7 billion cannot be a budget of change.

“We were told that in the revised budget there was an adjustment due to error, we agree but what has happened is that up to N7 billion were moved from buying vehicles and spread to offices.

“It also increased the spending that is due to renovations within the Villa.

“They are going to renovate the Villa with N3.9 billion: what else do you want to renovate there that Nigerians will see in the Year 2016?” he asked.

However, in his contribution, Sen. Ahmed Lawan (APC Yobe North) blamed the previous administration for the lack of funds due to the embezzlement witnessed in previous governments.

He said that this was the 17th budget he would be debating as a legislator and noted that not more than 40 per cent implementation was achieved in the last 16 years.

“The proposal before us is the first budget where the executive has deemed it necessary to give ordinary Nigerians genuine hope.

“N500 billion allocated for school feeding and social SAFTEY NET is commendable.

“It is time to say oil should not continue to play dominant role as we have suffered economically and politically: it is time to diversify this economy.

“The direction of the executive is the way to go. `That is, we should make every effort to have the real sector-agric mining and manufacturing.

“The budget deserves the support of everyone, including my colleagues on the other side. When we were in the opposition we supported the PDP, they should support us,” he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/602809/

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by Nobody: 9:02am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

E don go sleep. He worked all night planting propaganda and lies upandan. E nor easy to defend an incompetent dullard now grin
I hope the he is getting well paid for his efforts because all the volunteers have disappeared after hunger and poverty clear them eyes.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2329446_2310894imageedit25559604097jpeg6207133cb2251c60c0d3e307c28d235c_jpeg43e795ffbb3dd3fc428ae16fab3b0fbd

Thanx for putting him to sleep jare. I don't think I've seen any govt with this large number of propagandist like this govt. Makes you fear for the country.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle by mmsen: 9:05am On May 23, 2019
anonimi:

You made a good point but spoilt it by being partial. Is Remi Tinubu or former governor Bukar Abbah more useful than Melaye or they collect less money?
Why leave out Buhari and Osinbajo who "spend" billions in Aso Rock while minimum wage is N18,000

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3626665_hilarious_jpeg1ecdcdffc482a4c4b104159dc2f70be2

I wasn't being partial. I used his name as an example. They are ALL trash.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Subsidy Removal Must Benefit Citizens, Not Wealthy Nigerians - NGF / My Father Was A Muslim. He Died And My Mother(alhaja) Changed And Made Us Xtians / The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge In Lagos,a Political Tool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.