Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,142 members, 7,829,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

If You Are Thinking Of Homeschooling You Should Read This - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You Are Thinking Of Homeschooling You Should Read This (955 Views)

5 Amazing Benefits Of Homeschooling A Child On The Autism Spectrum Disorder / ASUU ‘Thinking Of Another Strike’ - See Reactions / See What 13 Year Old Nigerian Students Are Thinking About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If You Are Thinking Of Homeschooling You Should Read This by Thecuddleblog: 10:40pm On May 23, 2019
One of the things that I see so much of and notice is that most homeschooling mums are former
early years teachers and because of that most of the content I have seen don’t cater to the
regular mum who just sees the need to homeschool her child(ren) for whatever reason. When
you hear “Homeschooling” we probably think it only teaching your kids Maths and English at
home but in my journey to home educate my son, I have seen that it is a whole lot more than
that. That is what I hope to shed more light on in this article;
Let’s start from the beginning, shall we?

● Know that it’s a long term commitment & find strength; For you to be reading this article
it means you have made a decision or planning to make the decision to homeschool
your child. When we make the decision we have one focus, the education of our
children and we have to keep that focus on every day because there will be hard days
and there will be days you feel like you are not doing the right thing but with the focus in
mind, it will give us the tenacity and will power to move forward. Commitment is what is
going to keep us moving forward on the days we don’t feel like it. Just like a Job, you
have to show up ‘everyday’ for your child(ren) because you understand that their
learning is important to you.

● Be on the same page with your spouse: This is a very important part of the process.
Most homeschooling families the mother is responsible for the homeschooling process,
most of it is based on the mother's philosophy of education, research on the curriculum
to use and just informs the spouse or significant other as against, both partners sitting
down to define everything involved and making the decisions together. In the situation
where he is 100% involved, he can be a sounding board for ideas, help in making the
decision for the curriculum to use, he can take your home education session
occasionally. The truth is that we all need support and isn’t it absolutely amazing when it
comes from your spouse.

● Check the Laws of your country: In Nigeria, from the research, I have done,
homeschooling is permissible, however, there are some things that need to be taken into
consideration. How long do you want to homeschool? Are you in it till university level? Or
just for primary education? Your answers to these questions will determine if you should
be ‘worried’ about the laws in Nigeria or not. I am putting in steps to find out more on the
laws but from the information I have, you can’t register for common entrance except
through a school but if it is for WAEC there is an option to register a private student. The
whole information is sketchy because all the information I have are from online sources
that are not verifiable because there are no clear standards in this country, however, I
am working on finding out more official information. In the USA there are clear laws,
requirements in each state all you have to do is search for the laws of your state to figure
out what you need to do to ensure you are doing the right thing.

READ MORE BELOW

Read More: https://www.thecuddleblog.com/2019/05/homeschooling-101-getting-started-with.html
Blog: www.thecuddleblog.com
Instagram: www.Instagram.com/thecuddleblog

(1) (Reply)

Microbiologists Are Sitting On This Table / Federal Poly Ilaro Set To Embark On E-learning / Facts About School Resumption Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.