Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,637 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock (19411 Views)

Rivers APC In Crisis As Factions Bicker Over 'Amaechi Directive’ To Back Atiku / Police, NDLEA Bicker Over Confessional Video Of Suspects Arrested With Abba Kyar / Senators Bicker Over Innoson Motors Boss, Chukwuma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by dre11(m): 7:20am On May 24, 2019
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Lagos – There appears to be a silent war between Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor-elect of Lagos State, and the presidency over the solution to the protracted gridlock in Apapa area of the state.

Sanwo-Olu had, last week, promised to put an end to the gridlock within the first 60 days of his administration, promising to rid the area of all the trailers whose operations had been responsible for the intractable gridlock.

He had said: “The Apapa trailer issue; it’s a campaign issue; it’s very serious. I’m going to take it very seriously. I believe that it is something that we are going to solve in the first 60 days of our government.

“Whatever is going to be required of us, we will take them out. There is a lot of politics being played around there. But no, it cannot be the way we’ll continue to live. We cannot continue to give excuses.”

While Sanwo-Olu received a lot of commendations from Nigerians on the proclamation, the presidency on Wednesday also gave two weeks for the immediate clearing up of the intractable Apapa gridlock. It also gave operators of trucks and tankers 72 hours to vacate the access roads leading to the ports.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity (Office of the Vice President), Laolu Akande, in a statement, said the directive mandated the immediate removal of all trucks from the bridges and roads within Apapa and all adjoining streets leading into the Apapa axis..

Akande said the directive followed an emergency meeting convened by President Muhammadu Buhari and chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on April 25, 2019.

Speaking with our correspondent, a presidency source who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Federal Government quickly issued the directive to the tanker drivers, having realised that “Sanwo-Olu is trying to take credit for a project he knows nothing about”.

According to him, the presidency has been working round the clock to find a lasting solution to the gridlock in the area and it would be unfair for Sanwo-Olu to want to take credit for it.

“The presidency issued that statement to counter the governor-elect because they realised he wants to take glory for a project he knows nothing about.

“If you recall, the presidency has been working on a lasting solution to the Apapa gridlock. Even the vice president had to fly on the area on a chopper to assess the situation.

“But we think Sanwo-Olu has gotten wind of the situation and now quickly came out to say that he will provide the solution to the gridlock so that when it happens, he will take the credit.

“That is why the presidency quickly came out and issued the statement to set the records straight.

“We will collaborate with him when he is sworn in as the governor to work on a solution to it just as we have been working with the outgoing governor, Akinwunmi Ambode.

“But he should not speak authoritatively on finding a lasting solution to it because the issue is beyond him.”

When asked, during an interactive session with journalists on Thursday whether he read the mind of the Federal Government before making the statement on ending the Apapa gridlock, Sanwo-Olu said: “As for your question on the Federal Government reading my script or me reading their script, I think it is about time we realise that we are in this together.

“What happens to me happens to everybody that has to do with that port and I have passed it to the consciousness of the Federal Government. So, it is not out of place that Lagosians have been crying.

“People have also mentioned that I promised to solve all the problems in 60 days rightly or wrongly. I need to challenge that but I am not going to go into that today. But for them to also give timelines like what doesn’t get measured, doesn’t get done.

“Something needs to be done and I will tell you that I will give that committee all the support that they will need from day one for Lagosians to see a permanent solution to that,” he said.

Also on Thursday, Sanwo-Olu promised that he would review the controversial Land Use charge in conjunction with various stakeholders upon assumption of office.

According to him, “We are going to look at it again. We are certainly going to look at it again but with lots of consultations. It has to be collaborative.

“There will be lots of stakeholder engagements. We are going to look at it with the hope that both the players in the various sectors both work together and see the best way to do it.

“I said to our people that we really cannot make omelet without breaking eggs. For us, to be able to leapfrog all the initiatives that you are asking of us, revenues have to come from somewhere.

“So, it’s for all of us to have that conversation but we will certainly not do things that will have a negative effect on our people. So, we will review it positively in conjunction with various stakeholders.”

https://www.independent.ng/presidency-sanwo-olu-bicker-over-apapa-gridlock/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:35am On May 24, 2019
So where is the "bicker" now? Daily Independent, Vanguard, This day and Tribune Newspapers are the most useless set of newsprint ever.

HungerBad, Hold The Bench, While We Prepare For Our Own Transit! Adieu, Comrade.

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by netpro(m): 8:02am On May 24, 2019
So the FG and the State working for a quick solution for the trucks is now BICKER.

PDP miscreants always quick at manufacturing disputes.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Firgemachar: 8:11am On May 24, 2019
Ok
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Dannyset(m): 8:15am On May 24, 2019
You people are just lazy bunch of lying Journalists. The Governor elect has debunked that news as a fake news being circulated on whatsapp.

However, what's the problem there if he promised to clear the road and the federal government took it up to do? You guys are just being lazy and looking for where to create problem where there's none.

This is what you will do for the next for years? I don't envy your crooked ways. Gosh!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by TANTUMERGO007(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2019
NgeneUkwenu:
So where is the "bicker" now? Daily Independent, Vanguard, This day and Tribune Newspapers are the most useless set of newsprint ever.

HungerBad, Hold The Bench, While We Prepare For Own Transit! Adieu, Comrade.
You are not fit to mention HungerBad undecided

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by harjorlarh(m): 8:19am On May 24, 2019
something is telling me that this sanwolu guy go mad pass ambode
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Babacele: 9:05am On May 24, 2019
NgeneUkwenu:

HungerBad, Hold The Bench, While We Prepare For Own Transit! Adieu, Comrade.
Jesus! Ngene, this is not true.
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Goke7: 10:14am On May 24, 2019
does it matter who clears the road, all we need is a solution please. We need to grow up in this country

Always fighting to take credit even when a borehole is commissioned, rubbish

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by BlackfireX: 12:27pm On May 24, 2019
This junky will destroy himself before he even start....

Tinubu puppet
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by omonla10(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2019
All way na way..just clear d road for us.. it's hell going to work everyday

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by iammo(m): 12:30pm On May 24, 2019
grin

Grandstanding as ussual, which Governor dead or alive would confront Trailers of the cabals loading and ofloading goods at apapa port. how many dangote drivers have they convicted or how many of his trucks have been impounded.

If God wants to catch him now , he would impound trucks belonging to Chief of Cabal Staff and his company , the Funtua Groups, if they wont make him frog jump from lagos to abuja

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 24, 2019
I can not see any bicker here polio!!!!!
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by MobilityExpress: 12:32pm On May 24, 2019
Sanwo Olu Sanwo Eko, the action Governor, we dey your back, carry on sir grin
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by loomer: 12:33pm On May 24, 2019
How is this a problem? If both can do it so let it be don
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by odeebee: 12:35pm On May 24, 2019
cry FOREVER IN OUR HEARTS

HUNGERBAD WE'LL ALWAYS MISS YOU,
REST ON BRO

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Racoon(m): 12:36pm On May 24, 2019
As if the Apapa traffic gridlock and others around Lagos started today.Buhari/VP Osinbajo visited Lagos and the trailer menace disappeared as if it never existed.
This mean the ugly trend is solvable but govt continued to play politics with it while Lagosians suffers.Meanwhile what are the zombies up there hallucinating about

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Ekpeitit(m): 12:39pm On May 24, 2019
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Nationsdaddy: 12:39pm On May 24, 2019
The most interesting of it is ; F. G said its beyond the power of the state govt.

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Guestlander: 12:40pm On May 24, 2019
"Speaking with our correspondent, a presidency source who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Federal Government quickly issued the directive to the tanker drivers, having realised that “Sanwo-Olu is trying to take credit for a project he knows nothing about”.

According to him, the presidency has been working round the clock to find a lasting solution to the gridlock in the area and it would be unfair for Sanwo-Olu to want to take credit for it."

How can this level of pettiness be coming from the presidency?
Who cares who did what as long as the roads are not choked up with traffic and people are able to go about their businesses unhindered.
I know Nigerian journalists sometimes lie though. They often cite unnamed sources when they make things up.

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by Ekpeitit(m): 12:41pm On May 24, 2019
I think the silent war you are talking about is a creation of your tiny Igbo PDP brain.
NEXT TOPIC PLEASE.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by MaziOmenuko: 12:41pm On May 24, 2019
So it's all about politics to you lads ehn?
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by pavoda: 12:48pm On May 24, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by frugal(m): 12:48pm On May 24, 2019
Double post.
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by pavoda: 12:48pm On May 24, 2019
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by frugal(m): 12:48pm On May 24, 2019
Who cares? Just get it done.
Re: Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock by chukwuibuipob: 12:49pm On May 24, 2019
sad The pain,discomfort, trobu is ova.Sleep well HungerBad..i'll foreva cherish ur fomd memory. May God giv ur family fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.Farewell thee

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari At 78: If Only We Knew This President - Femi Adesina / Must The Next President Be A Northerner? / What Obasanjo Did To Me For Begging Him Not To Run For Second Term – Senator Kha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.