Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,441 members, 7,846,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:54 AM

I Morn Nigeria @ 50 Though I'm not as Old as 50 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Morn Nigeria @ 50 Though I'm not as Old as 50 (525 Views)

Nigeria@50; Post Your Remark. / Telecommunication And Nigeria @ 50 / Nigerians On Facebook Celebrating Nigeria@50 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Morn Nigeria @ 50 Though I'm not as Old as 50 by Johnafa: 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2010
I woke up with my pen in my hand and it’s Nigeria @ 50. What a celebration?,  I do not mean to sound pessimistic but rather objective. I tried to raise my spirits of jubilation but alas my grief is greater. How can I celebrate the fact that yesterday at the bus park I was rushed by over 20 agile young men who sat in wait for their future as they helplessly watched it pass like luxurious cars on speed lanes in an express highway. The sights of me and my backpack reunited them with their hope to earn the next kobo that might lead to their future billions. A hope I felt in the firmness of their grip and the strengths of their push. A hope that I in a confused state and also searching for mine dashed away in search for the closest Mama-put. What touched my heart the most was the perseverance I saw in the eyes of one of them; I would rather refer to as my uncle. So patient yet coarsingly still asking “If you intend to travel would you kindly not forget that I’m the guy sitting beside the white marcopolo?” Then came my last words, “No Bros, I just dey look for place where I go bend down”. He showed me a spot and turned back to join his other colleagues in the wait.

Sitting with my friend across the table we placed our orders. Madam served Garri and Orrah; another restless looking guy brought us water. He occasionally threw glances and smiles at us as we munched our way down the delicacy garnished with huge goat meats. At the end of our treat my friend asked “My guy wetin be our money?” Quickly stealing a glance over his shoulder to make sure Madam’s attention was fully engrossed in her mirror and powder pad, he picked up a drinking glass and moved closer trying to whisper. Madam was immediately distracted and she asked “Na wetin?” “Dem wan know how much be their money”. She quickly stood up told us our bill and stretched out for the pay. On receiving our change we still sat a little longer to wrap up our gist then came the guy “So oga how far now?” my friend was surprised, “I go come your place come chop and then you go tax me again?” I quickly remembered the last money I had in my pocket was just N10 and pulled it and stretched it towards the guy and added a “shey you understand ba?”. The guy smiled and collected it expressing his gratitude. My friend still in the shock and confusion asked me “But what was he expecting me to do? Afterall Madam would pay him?”; that I wasn’t sure of.

Then I imagined that a whooping sum of N10 billion Naira would be spent just on the jubilation of 50 years of steady decline in national economy, unstable power supply, joblessness of the vibrant labor force and you name it. It would startle you to know that even this writer who as a young scientist is currently jobless youth (in the Nigerian context) so why should I join the old buffoons in celebrating my doom. I choose to disagree and morn my current state so that I would not be satisfied and seek away out where posterity would thrive. I mourn that I would never be like the politicians who only seek to celebrate in a bid to catch the next millions that would satisfy the vanity of their children alone whilst others are roaming dangerous roads with dishes and are being knocked down by flashy cars. I morn Nigeria @ 50 not because I am as old as 50.
Re: I Morn Nigeria @ 50 Though I'm not as Old as 50 by temitope23(m): 1:39am On Sep 29, 2010
My brother no be only you.
Re: I Morn Nigeria @ 50 Though I'm not as Old as 50 by foreignboy: 11:28am On Sep 30, 2010
cryso you are not proud of your country cry cry cryfor once cant you praise you country
Re: I Morn Nigeria @ 50 Though I'm not as Old as 50 by Johnafa: 10:49pm On Sep 30, 2010
Ha, who is taking about being proud about a country, wake up, and watch what you are praising and who is taking which glory, the future of the youths is being insured and you think the older folks would bank it for you? guy wake up and do, before your time is over

(1) (Reply)

Africa : States Of Independence - Nigeria / New! Psquare 'gimmie That' Video! / Cat Fish Cheap Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.