Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting (3631 Views)

Robert Mugabe Refuses To Wear India Native During India African Leaders Summit / Jonathan Meets Igbo Leaders & Elders In Lagos (photos) / Jonathan At OIC Summit With Leaders From Islamic Countries (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by MetalGong4: 1:57am On Sep 28, 2010
Ekwueme, Nnamani, Nwobodo, others locked out of Igbo summit
Headlines Sep 28, 2010 *Talks held under the sun amidst heavy security
*Igbos insist on presidency in 2015

By Ochereome Nnanna & Tony Edike

OWERRI — SECURITY operatives, yesterday, chained the Banquet Hall of Hotel Concorde, Owerri venue, of the Igbo Political Stakeholders Conference 2010 and prevented Igbo political leaders led by former Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme, from entering the venue.

They said their action was based on “orders from above” just as the management of the Imo State Government-owned hotel said they had instructions not to allow the conference to hold at the venue.

Vanguard learnt that the organizers had paid N100,000 two weeks before the scheduled date of the event.

The lock-out marked the climax of a series of intrigues which started on Friday, September 24, 2010 when the Secretary of the Igbo Political Forum, Chief Chyna Iwuanyanwu, was whisked away by security operatives at the Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri and was allegedly detained at the State Security Service, SSS offices for five hours before being allowed to go.

Although the security operatives prevented the summit from holding in the Banquet Hall, the Igbo leaders decided to hold the summit on the hotel’s lawns under the blazing sun.

Among those present were Dr. Alex Ekwueme, Senator Ken Nnamani, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, Senator Ben Obi, Chief Jim Nwobodo, Professor George Obiozor, Professor A.B.C. Nwosu, Rtd AVM Canice Umenwaliri, Rtd AVM Luku Ochulor, Prince B.B. Apugu, Prof. Mrs. Chinwe Obaji, Chief Dubem Onyia, Dr. Chris Ngige, Chief Achike Udenwa, Dr. Sam Egwu, Dr. Udenta O. Udenta and former Speaker House of Representatives, Chief Agunwa Anaekwe.

Others were Archbishop Maxwell Anikwenwa of the Anglican Province on the Niger, Chief Willy Ezeugwu, National Secretary of CNPP and Chief Theodore Nwanne.

Chairman of the occasion, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, in his speech, said that the purpose of the meeting was to enable all Igbos to speak their minds freely and not to support any candidate or political party after which a decision would be made for the Igbo nation.

He expressed dismay that Igbos would be denied their rights to discuss their political future in Igbo land, saying the development portended great danger to the declared commitment to a free and fair election in 2011.

Prevailing political atmosphere

Chairman of the Igbo Political Forum, Chief Simeon N. Okeke traced the activities of the forum in shaping the prevailing political atmosphere to when former President Umar Yar’Adua became incapacitated.

He observed: “When at the heat of the controversy and debate as to whether Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan would be sworn in as Acting President or not and our South East Governors responded negatively, again using the South East Consultative Forum, we came up once again to counter their view and held on to our conviction that Nigeria will not be ruled from Saudi Arabia and that Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan should be sworn in as Acting President.

“Using this same vehicle of South East Consultative Forum, our delegation comprising Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Dr. Kalu Idika Kalu, Senator Uche Chukwumerije, Rev. Dr. William Okoye and myself, went to the then acting President requesting for strategic ministries to our Igbo ministers; a halt to the worrisome trend of replacing our chairmen and directors_general of Federal parastatals and appointing non_Easterners in their places.”

Okeke said the summit was not for one person to speak for all but for everybody to speak their mind on what is the best for the Igbo people 50 years after the independence and 40 years after the civil war.

Noting that some Igbo supporters of the Jonathan for Presidency project held their summit in Enugu in August without any harassment, Okeke wondered why a summit of the Igbo people would be an exception in which the full weight of the state power would be mobilized to thwart them in their bid to assert their rights to discuss and take a common position on their political future.

Others who spoke at the occasion included Chief Jim Nwobodo, Prof Mrs. Chinwe Obaji, Dr. Chris Ngige, Chief Chyna Iwuanwanwu and others.

Efforts to contact Governor Ikedi Ohakim and other state officials on the development were unsuccessful as the governor and some of his officials were away to Abuja.

However, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Henry Ekpe, who exonerated the governor from the lockout of the Igbo leaders, said: “I learnt that the security agencies moved in to safeguard lives and property based on numerous petitions they received from the various factions of the group that held the summit. The security agents may have taken that step to prevent breakdown of law and order. I can say categorically that the so-called order from above did not come from the government.”

Igbos quest for presidency in 2015

However, in the communiqué released at the end of the summit, the Igbo leaders vowed “we will not be deterred” in their determination to ensure that an Igbo man must be president of Nigeria in 2015 and that they are open to ideas and offers from any part of Nigeria that would lead to the emergence of an Igbo man as president of Nigeria in 2015.

The forum arrived at the following resolutions at the conference:

1.The conveners of the conference condemn the attempt made to abort it, frown at this creeping culture of arbitrariness and impunity, and warn that Nigeria’s democracy is under grave threat if this kind of undemocratic and intolerant attitude is not reined in quickly.

2. Conveners of the conference have also resolved to bring the current unsavoury situation to the attention of the relevant Nigerian authorities, and all regional and international organisations Nigeria belongs to (ECOWAS, AU, UN, etc). The conveners have also resolved to draw the attention of the major diplomatic missions in Nigeria to this development, as well as the international agencies supporting Nigeria’s democratic transition.

3. The conveners of the conference have also resolved that the Igbo 2015 presidency project is non_negotiable and maintain that the equality of the zones must be achieved through the creation of a sixth state in the South_east under special constitutional regime as was done in the case of the Doctrine of Necessity that elevated Vice President Goodluck Jonathan to the position of Acting President and as may be accomplished given the INEC’s request for extension of time to conduct the 2011 general elections.

4. The conveners of the conference also resolved that Political Action Committees be set up in all Igbo states, local governments and wards that will educate our people, popularise Igbo political emancipation and survival ideas and drive the key agendas captured in resolution 3 above.

5. The conveners of the conference further call on Ndigbo to seize the opportunity provided by the upcoming voters registration exercise to ensure that over 20 million Igbo voters are registered. The achievement of this objective will be a clear message that a demographic majority in Nigeria will never be reduced to a political minority. Not ever.

Share |

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/ekwueme-nnamani-nwobodo-others-locked-out-of-igbo-summit/
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by MetalGong4: 1:59am On Sep 28, 2010
I wonder how my Imo state brothers and sisters managed to elect a maniac bastarrd as their governor. A lame governor who sees himself as an overlord.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by grafikdon: 3:07am On Sep 28, 2010
I thought Mbadinuju was the worst thing that happened to South East, now this Ohakim goon makes Mbadinuju look like Saint Thomas. What a shame. I understand the frustration of those who can not stomach the idea of the Mega Demon, Ibrahim Babangida nursing the ambition of coming back after flushing us down the crapper, but everyone is not going to vote for Jonathan, some Nigerians need to let this sink into their skulls. If we MUST embrace democracy, we do not have the luxury of scraping off the warts.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Arysexy(m): 4:32am On Sep 28, 2010
That beast called ohakim will later regret locking out his fathers bc of political gains.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by egift(m): 10:05am On Sep 28, 2010
This Administration is worst than any other tenure Nigeria ever had. After the elections, those who refused to be forced into this gang will be humiliated/intimated/sent into exile/locked up/punished/disgraced.

Just when we will think there is hope for Nigeria - what we get is the failed third term with vengeance/democratized militancy.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Mkpotu(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2010
This is democracy for God's sake, Jonathan should allow people to exercise their freedom (Ohakim alone doesn't have that kind of liver). The fact that he perceived these respectable men as not backing should not make him indulge in this ruthless and dastard act. Everybody cannot be singing one chorus for this democracy to thrive, people must have different views and such different views must be respected and considered.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by akwarandu(m): 2:18pm On Sep 28, 2010
With this , i don`t think dat , we are going to av any free and fair election come 2011, is there any hope for this country called nigeria?.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Utaroz(m): 2:24pm On Sep 28, 2010
Such brazen acts of megalomanic excesses are ways of ensuring a safe, probe-free reign of absolutism in the event of his candidate clinching the presidency. It was such reckless and undiluted display of loyalty that insulated Ibori during the reign of Yaradua. It's a Marchavellian option of the end justifying the means. Unfortunately, everything comes with a price and the law of harvest trascends our puny manipulations against a certain destiny. Most of those victims of lock-out are also on the wrong side of history playing the ethnic card to advance selfish political interests.  angry

If I were wiser, I'd understand better why Alex Ekwueme refuses to rise above the mire and don a deserved garment of a voice of national conscience!  embarassed

It's Not Yet Uhuru for our father-land.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by oderemo(m): 2:24pm On Sep 28, 2010
I wonder how my Imo state brothers and sisters managed to elect a maniac bastarrd as their governor. A lame governor who sees himself as an overlord.
at last the penny has landed face up for metal song.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by hugooh42(m): 4:40pm On Sep 28, 2010
I'm beginning to think this Jonathan guy is becoming desperate. Political philosophers said "absolute power corrupt absolutely"he shouldn't infringe on people;s fundamental human rights .Especially right to peaceful gathering and association.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by 2makesense: 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
this is crazy!
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by IsuCicero(m): 4:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-521265.0.html#msg6833871
Posted by: grafikdon  
Insert Quote
I thought Mbadinuju was the worst thing that happened to South East, now this Ohakim goon makes Mbadinuju look like Saint Thomas. What a shame. I understand the frustration of those who can not stomach the idea of the Mega Demon, Ibrahim Babangida nursing the ambition of coming back after flushing us down the crapper, but everyone is not going to vote for Jonathan, some Nigerians need to let this sink into their skulls. If we MUST embrace democracy, we do not have the luxury of scraping off the warts.

Many times I can't help but LOL when I hear folks criticise Mr Mbadinuju. Honestly @Grafikdon, Mbadinuju was a saint though caught up by the Anambra syndromme. I was in Awka during the reign of Mbadinuju and I remember writing an article in the Newswatch magazine then to state an objective case for the governor, don't get me wrong b/c to date I have not met Mbadinuju personally and I have never attempted to, but it is our duty to align with light rather than darkness. To state things more categorically, Mbadinuju was a victim of Mr Olu Obasanjo whims and caprices across the lenght and breadth of this country b4 his eventual expiry from Aso Rock in 2007.

I will not comment on this Ohakim guy b/c I do not know much about him, though nothing suggests to me he is a serious character. @Grafikdon I agree 100% with your last sentence. Democracy is about tolerance, the ability to accommodate shades of opinion, even when contrary or unpopular!
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by bigtree: 5:12pm On Sep 28, 2010
ohakim,history will not be kind to u.just b/c of what u will gain now
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by clip: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2010
Dont blame GEJ for what happened in Owerri. If GEJ asked him to kill his mother will he do that?
The Governor should be told that he will leave that seat.
Whatever you sow,you will reap.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Dede1(m): 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2010
I do not have soft place in my mind for political pan-handlers such Ohakim. By the same token, I despise the morons such GEJ who contributes to the political menace. In addition, judging from political indices, Nigeria is not ready for pseudo-democratic system talks less of democracy.

Ohakim as well as many state governors are beggars and criminals who would do or say anything in favor of a despot as longer as there is existence of threat to seize their loot or haul them to jail for defrauding the people.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Meldrick(m): 5:37pm On Sep 28, 2010
Mkpotu:

This is democracy for God's sake, Jonathan should allow people to exercise their freedom (Ohakim alone doesn't have that kind of liver). The fact that he perceived these respectable men as not backing should not make him indulge in this ruthless and dastard act. Everybody cannot be singing one chorus for this democracy to thrive, people must have different views and such different views must be respected and considered.

Too quick for what might be false allegation.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by otondo55: 5:40pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ohakim i pity you, your personal ambittion is more important than the entire Igbo abi ?

with stone we shall vote you, little thing like you !

power monger, enough of you this time. bastard !
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Reference(m): 6:11pm On Sep 28, 2010
I hope it is not true that Ohakim is responsible for that. I can't understand why he would be so short-sighted. A meeting like that would guarantee even his own future relevance. Other regions are watching and disunity can never help matters. They should rally to form a credible pressure group to actualise the Presidency in 2015 and win more concessions in the shorter term.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 28, 2010
ohakim is a tyrant in the south east, he molested a writer in his office stripping him and beating him with a cane in his office,,asjed his aides to beat up a cleric and now this, well i am from owerri and i know my people will never put him back to power, i think this is agabso opportunity to win in 2011, that man won the elections in 2007 under apga platform, everbody in owerri knows this. th erace was btw ararume and agbaso and the latter won. this ohakim is a bad case study of election rigging.n one knew ohakim until he became governor.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by jookco(m): 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2010
The Bible comfirms that their are pricipalities and powers of the darkness.
But weting ma go do, the best thing is to be strong in prayer and trust in God or better still join Ogboni fratanity, ogwu agu , fenito.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by moneyitc: 7:55pm On Sep 28, 2010
nwanne this is politics,the north are spreading money to so called ekwueme and ojukwu for them to be endorsed for primaries promising IGBOS 2015.hey man ojukwu and ekwueme are really reducing themselve very low in this matter.i know the have been given enough money but they have forgotten that they north have denied the Igbos the presidency several time.Igbos should open there eyes cos if power enters the hand of a northener it will be very difficult to release it.ekwueme and ojukwu should be a stateman by now and stop playing money politics to recruite igbos.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 28, 2010
Who controls the police?

The Presidency does . . . . .this action has the blessing of the Presidency and the IG.

shame on Ohakim & Jonathan Presidency

We have never done and will never do fall-in-politics in the East because we are Ndigbo and are democratic by nature.

Ohakim and co must allow all to support who they choose. QED.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by chamber2(m): 8:57pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ohakim's illiteracy,ignorance and rascality reflects in all his actions.After disrupting Rocha's birthday party at the Dam Anyiam stadium with his police togs, flogging a Rev.Father he also has the guts to stop the igbo community from using the concorde hotel 4 their meeting,no matter what their agenda might be.When will Imo pple say no to injustice,intimidation and molestation.The pple of imo r known to be of high cerebral, i wonder y everybody is keeping mute in the face of this excruciating circumstance. In imo,there r alot of policemen every where as if there is a state of emergency.

If ohakim is actually doing well as he claims,y is he afraid of political opponents?Everybody is living in perpetual fear because nobody knows when ohakim's men will strike.

May God save Imo from the hand of this vulture.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Dede1(m): 9:22pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ohakim is a political fraudster who lost his deposit during PDP primaries in Imo State and decamped to PPA. Unfortunately, the moronic cliques created by Obasanjo imposed Ohakim on Imo State.

Nigeria must enact laws that should allow individuals to own and bear arms. I am sick and tired of these hoodlums and imbeciles ruining the lives of ordinary citizens in Nigeria. If Nigerians should look up to took USA in attempt practice democracy, they should equally incorporate certain laws and socio-political activities prevalent in USA too.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by ezeagu(m): 9:24pm On Sep 28, 2010
no. one. CARES.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by excanny: 10:01pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ohakim should bury his head in shame. How dare him to shut out respected Igbo leaders-an ex-VP and ex-Senate President of the federal republic et al? An ordinary governor for that matter. This Ohakim has way too much audacity.

He must make a public apology because he insulted not just these honorable men and women but the entire Igbo race.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by okeymadu(m): 10:25pm On Sep 28, 2010
The president, this evening, washed his hands off the Owerri saga. However, the governor is yet to tender an apology to this embaarrassment. Na waoh
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by Nobody: 12:27am On Sep 29, 2010
They should relocate the Igbo Summit to Anambra. Nobody will touch them there, Peter Obi will not take that risk.

Ohakim just simply engaged on the most bone headed move of his political life. He should remember that his kinsman Maurice Iwu is no longer the INEC Boss.

Meanwhile its very easy for Jonathan to wash his hands off the Owerri saga because it is most like he Jonathan is not aware. But did he also exonerate his entire Presidency from being aware a thing like this will happen before it happened? Beam the searchlight on Chief-of-Staff Mike Oghiadomhe. They are the sort of people that usually ochestrate such cladenstine moves.

Forget the President and Governor. Beam the searchlights on the two Chieff of Staffs involved (i.e. Emma Ohakim & Mike Oghiadomhe).
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by AZOLIBE: 1:01am On Sep 29, 2010
One down! OHAKIM. Any person that rises against his father is automatically caused for ever. Such is the fate of Ohakim or Ohaki. The fall of a dead leaf is warning to the green ones. Any governor in the Eastern region that works against the 2015 PRESIDENTIAL agenda of Ndigbo in Nigeria nation will be deemed to have committed abomination and shall remain caused even on to his third generation. This serous business for the Igbos. Days are gone when an Igbo person will trade our collective interest for personal aggrandizement. I thank God for what happened because it has exposed our number one enemy of progress. We are watching other governors. Nobody will give any serving governor second term except us the Igbos whom they are ruling. A Promise fro GEJ will not work because we have determine to vote and our votes must count before you become any thing in this political dispensation. ECOWAS,AU, UN must here this, Kudos to the organizers and attendees of the conference who despite all odds still held theconference standing under a scourging sun. This goes a long way to prove how serious the Igbos are in their quiet. May God help Nigeria
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by anonimi: 6:28am On Sep 29, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by anonimi: 6:32am On Sep 29, 2010
these igbo politicians are mostly money-for-hand-back-for-ground belly wise people. they cannot be bothered about anyone in their tribe as long as their bellies are full. cash & carry na dem stock in trade.
2015 just looking for an excuse to give their gullible igbo followers some fake high while they sell out to their northern pay masters.
Re: Igbo Leaders Summit: Ohakim Prevents Igbo Leaders From Holding Meeting by EFFRAKATA: 10:26am On Sep 29, 2010
One common feature I have grown to know the Igbo society with, is DISUNITY.
Until they unite and have one voice, they will forever be victims of their own circumstances.
God bless the Igbo Nation!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja Bomb Blasts: Dokpesi Sues Sss / Operation Vote Out Current Nass(senators And Reps) / Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.