Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Tafawa Balewa Interview - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa Interview (3361 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Tafawa Balewa As Nigeria Celebrated Independence Day In 1960 - Throwback Photos / Fashola - Ambobe Handing Over: Tafawa Balewa Square Tastefully Decorated (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Tafawa Balewa Interview by davidif: 3:19am On Sep 28, 2010
Tafawa Balewa Interview during independence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11399156
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by davidif: 3:23am On Sep 28, 2010
First time i have ever heard the guy speak before. Say, on a serious note, why don't our news organizations have archives of this?
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by MaziUche0(m): 4:01am On Sep 28, 2010
He speaks very eloquently!  shocked

You can tell he was a learned man. Too bad he was a pawn of Ahmadu Bello.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by OAM4J: 4:18am On Sep 28, 2010
Whao! shocked shocked

He spoke so eloquently, I cant even perceive the typical Hausa accent in his voice.

compare him to Buhari and IBB speak, they are thousands of miles apart.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by Ikengawo: 6:26am On Sep 28, 2010
a lack of nigerian origin accent makes you eloquent?
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by Ikengawo: 6:31am On Sep 28, 2010
in fact upon listening the man has a full blown english accent, which is ok, i have a full blown american accent.

but you people are just saying its eloquent because it's coming from a white accent and not an african one. slaves.
If Buhari said those exact same words for some reason he wouldn't be called eloquent as a poster above has implied, mind you buhari is VERY eloquent.

im sorry you people are ashamed of your fathers. I couldn't imagine how miserable life would be with a stark inability to see yourself as a dignified human being because of your hatred for the culture that's yours.

i loved the video though, i wish it was longer!
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by OAM4J: 6:39am On Sep 28, 2010
Ikengawo:

a lack of nigerian origin accent makes you eloquent?

No. lack of the typical Nigerian accent does not lead to being eloquent, and I don’t think any one/post is suggesting that

But if you listen well to that interview, you'll find out that he shows the 2 traits. Very few Nigerians especially from the North have such traits.

I have read many of his speech, but this is the 1st time I hear/watch him speak, hence my shock.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by OAM4J: 6:47am On Sep 28, 2010
Ikengawo:

in fact upon listening the man has a full blown english accent, which is ok, i have a full blown american accent.

but you people are just saying its eloquent because it's coming from a white accent and not an african one. slaves.
If Buhari said those exact same words for some reason he wouldn't be called eloquent as a poster above has implied, mind you buhari is VERY eloquent.

im sorry you people are ashamed of your fathers. I couldn't imagine how miserable life would be with a stark inability to see yourself as a dignified human being because of your hatred for the culture that's yours.

i loved the video though, i wish it was longer!

Buhari Eloquent?

I beg to disagree. He has many good qualities but being eloquent is not one of them.

You need to listen to his recent interview on NVS-site hot seat.

And nobody is complaining or ashamed of his fathers, people listening to him for the 1st time are surprised at his accent cos they have not heard/watch him speak before
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by Ikengawo: 6:48am On Sep 28, 2010
no, he's not really saying anything brilliant, he's just speaking.

with a british accent

which is cool

but everyone is being mind blown as if he's telling a poem.
I don't see where is grasp of the english language surpasses that of buharis.

and what are you talking about, every post suggested it and would have kept suggesting it had i not spoke on how humiliatingly slave like nigerians can be.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by OAM4J: 6:57am On Sep 28, 2010
Ikengawo:

no, he's not really saying anything brilliant, he's just speaking.

with a british accent

which is cool

but everyone is being mind blown as if he's telling a poem.
I don't see where is grasp of the english language surpasses that of buharis.

and what are you talking about, every post suggested it and would have kept suggesting it had i not spoke on how humiliatingly slave like nigerians can be.

Looks like you have a problem with comprehension.

Quote one post where someone comments on how brilliant his statements are. People are only surprised to hear him speak so eloquently and educated.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by Ikengawo: 6:58am On Sep 28, 2010

Buhari Eloquent?

I beg to disagree. He has many good qualities but being eloquent is not one of them.

You need to listen to his recent interview on NVS-site hot seat.

And nobody is complaining or ashamed of his fathers, people listening to him for the 1st time are surprised at his accent cos they have not heard/watch him speak before

what isn't eloquent about buhari? when has the man every struggled to speak or express himself articulately?

nigerians think lack of africa accent = eloquent.
point blank. or are you going to sit here and pretend im the only one the realizes this embarrassing fact.

that's why all our nollywood stars humiliate the living hell out of themselves trying to have that ET sounding 'accent'

because of these ppl pretending the have british accents, the nigerian accent is now known as an ugly one when in reality a true and natural nigerian accent is one of the most beautiful in the world.

look at jim iyke in comparison to pete edochie.

pete's accent is real and natural. He's not altering his voice in anyway and he's clear and sounds very intelligent. People like when he speaks.

Jim Iyke plays 'the akata' in a lot of roles, so he tries that fake accent business that makes him sound like a laughing stock to everyone but villagers.

i use this example cause millions of nigerians are 'jim iyking' cause they think it makes them sound articulate when the nigerians that actually sound eloquent (pete edochie, olu jacobs) speak naturally.

accent has nothing to do with eloquence. the only factor that determines eloquence is eloquence.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by Ikengawo: 6:59am On Sep 28, 2010
Looks like you have a problem with comprehension.

Quote one post where someone comments on how brilliant his statements are. People are only surprised to hear him speak so eloquently and educated

If you heard eloquence it would confuse you lol. go bath.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by Ikengawo: 7:05am On Sep 28, 2010
only, why would the man who challenged the british empire and founded independence for the largest black nation of all time not sound educated?
Did you expect him to come on here and start screaming and dirtying his trousers?
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by OAM4J: 7:16am On Sep 28, 2010
The fact of this thread is that 1. Many people have never heard/watch Tafawa speaks. 2. He spoke eloquently and with an accent different form a typical Nigerian/Hausa man we see around.

Whether speaking with a foreign accent is better or worse than speaking with a Nigerian accent is a debate I am not interested in right now.

Good night Mr Ikengawo.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by nduchucks: 7:39am On Sep 28, 2010
You guys need to read more about the founding fathers of your nation. Tafawa Balewa was known throughout the world as the "Golden Voice Of Africa" because of his eloquence and command of the English language . Its a shame that many posters are oblivious to this fact.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by OAM4J: 7:48am On Sep 28, 2010
^^^ You are right Chuks. You know I read many of his speeches, but the assumption is that they were written speeches prepared by others.

Now I understand why he was called 'the golden voice', and I really feel bad he was taken out so early before our generation.

Another person i wish to hear/watch speak is Samuel Ladoke Akintola, read he was a great orator too.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by davidif: 11:29am On Sep 28, 2010
I am so honored to hear the guy speak after all this time watching old footage of him in naija. I also like the british accent though, its really cool.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Interview by mukina2: 11:54am On Sep 28, 2010

(1)

Who Is The Most Handsome And The Ugliest Governor In Nigeria? / I Think It's Clear,as Rivers State Have Made There Choice Again And Again (PHOTO / Change In Size's,price,quantity And Quality Of Goods With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.