Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south (702 Views)

10th NASS: APC Plotting Arrest Of Lawmakers-elect Over Leadership Tussle, PDP / President Buhari In Close Door Meeting With NASS APC Caucus (Photos) / NASS: APC Moves Against PDP Plot To Snatch 13 Senators-elect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south by IgbereBlog: 5:33pm On May 29, 2019
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has zoned the Deputy Senate Presidency of the Ninth National Assembly to the South-East and South-South geopolitical zones, findings by Igbere TV has revealed.

Though the ruling party is yet to make its decision public, however, an impeccable source in the APC National Working Committee (NWC), told Igbere TV that the leadership of the party will meet after the Presidential Inauguration to take a final stand on other elective positions.

According to the source, President Muhammadu Buhari at a recent meeting with some party stakeholders at the presidential villa, insisted that he only endorsed Senator Ahmed Lawan for the Senate Presidency.

“The president said he only endorsed Senator Ahmed Lawan as Senate President, he was even mute on Femi Gbajabiamila becoming Reps Speaker.”

When confronted with media reports that the president had backed the South-South zone to produce the next Deputy Senate President, the source said, “Who told you?, those are mere speculations. The president did not endorse the South-South zone for the DSP. In fact, during the last meeting, he said he would prefer the South-East to have the position of Deputy Senate President. But as we speak, he is yet to endorse a particular candidate from the zone.”

He said that President Buhari gave a fresh order to the APC National Working Committee to ensure that all other positions were equitably distributed amongst other geo-political zones.

Similarly, a reliable source in the presidency, on Wednesday confirmed that Buhari did not endorse the South-South for the post of the Deputy Senate Presidency of the incoming Ninth Assembly.

The source who pleaded anonymity because he is not permitted to speak on the issue, revealed that the president still holds strong opinion that the Deputy Senate President should come from the South-East, saying, “he is now open with his stance towards the position to favour the South-East region.”

He also dispelled the impression that the president hates the Igbo nation.

Division in NWC, as Oshiomhole makes last minute effort to favour his zone

Meanwhile, Igbere TV has learnt that at a meeting of the APC National Working Committee, which was summoned yesterday at the party's secretariat, the cacaus had resolved that the Deputy Senate President position will be between the South-East and South-South zones.

Our correspondent reports that a source, who also attended the meeting, disclosed that members of the NWC did not agree on which particular zone — between the South-East and South-South — should produce the next Deputy Senate President.

According to him, at the NEC meeting which was held yesterday, majority of the members favoured a particular zone, while others were undecided.

He said the National Chairman of the party, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole is opposed to the position going to the South-East.

Oshiomhole, according to the source, insisted on having the position zoned to the South-South, particularly his home state, Edo.

“What happened is that the national chairman is opposed to the position going to the South-East. He had already penned down Senator Francis Alimekhena (Edo North) for the position before the president objected to it and insisted on the South-East zone having the post.”

He said the president was infuriated by the false reports being peddled by some ministers in the news that he (Buhari) had endorsed the South-South to produce the Deputy Senate President.

“The president questioned if there was any issue in the Deputy Senate Presidency being zoned to the South-East,” he added.

According to him, the president, from all indication, believes that it is only fair to give the South-East the position of Deputy Senate President since the National Chairman of the party comes from the South-South and he also has just re-appointed the Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefiele, also from the South-South.

He, however, added that a meeting of the NWC will hold immediately after the Presidential Inauguration to finalize proper.

When contacted by Igbere TV, Simeon Ebegbulem, Chief Press Secretary to Adams Oshiomhole, declined comment on the issue.

But the APC National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, confirmed the report, adding that “the party will make its final decision known at the appropriate time.”

I'll contest Deputy Senate Presidency, insists Kalu

All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator-elect, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu has said he would contest the Deputy Senate President position in the Ninth National Assembly.

Kalu, a former governor of Abia, disclosed this on Monday in Abuja, while speaking with State House correspondents after a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.

Reaffirming his earlier position on the DSP post at the presidential villa, the Forbes-rated billionaire said he was the 56th senator to endorse Ahmed Lawan for the Senate Presidency.

“Well, I am going to contest on the floor of the Senate. I am waiting for the party to zone (the offices) and if the party continues to hold it, and don’t zone it, I will contest on the floor of the House.

“I have already endorsed Ahmed Lawan as the Senate President. That is sacrosanct in my mind and I am appealing to the other parties, let us have only one candidate in the Senate instead of going to drag for it. So, we are on course.

“Yesterday (Sunday), when I returned from Venezuela, Ahmed Lawan was with me in the house and I became the 56th APC senator to endorse him. As I am talking to you now, we are having two more people who are in Mecca, one senator from Katsina and the other from Lagos. Fifty-eight senators are going to sign in and we have the majority to make him Senate President.”

He expressed optimism that the executive and the 9th National Assembly would work harmoniously unlike what obtained in the outgoing 8th Assembly.

http://igberetvnews.com/722487/breaking-ninth-nass-apc-zones-dep-senate-president-to-se-ss/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south by Nickisindigo(m): 5:41pm On May 29, 2019
K
Re: Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south by MikeBetty(m): 5:59pm On May 29, 2019
Orji Uzor Kalu Has Been Eyeing That Position For Long.
Re: Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south by celeiyke: 6:02pm On May 29, 2019
Igbere TV Orji Kalu boys
Re: Ninth NASS: APC Zones Deputy Senate President To S’east, S’south by Casptainspecial: 6:04pm On May 29, 2019
Let's wait nd see

(1) (Reply)

See How Senator Dino Melaye Troll The New Deputy Senate President, Omo-agege(pic / INEC Received N1.47 Billion For Servers Ahead Of 2019 Election / No Amount Of Foreign Reports Will Change Nigeria's Destiny!- Dr Olufon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.