Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,446 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) (8905 Views)

APC: Tinubu Got The Message By Oke Umurhohwo / Medical Tourism: Who Is Buhari Talking To? By Oke Umurhohwo / "2023: Tinubu And His Mind Game" by Oke Umurhohwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by stalyf(m): 12:24pm On May 31, 2019
Sometime in 2016, President Muhammadu Buhari sparked a controversy when his comment downplayed the potentials of women and gave the impression that the seclusion of a man's house is the place most suitable place for them. The president had shocked his audience, including his host, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany when he said "I don't know which party my wife belongs to, but she belongs to my kitchen, the living room and the other room."

Buhari was reacting to criticisms of his government by his wife, Aisha Buhari, who alarmed that her husband's government has been hijacked by a "few people" who are preventing him from meeting up to electioneering promises. But that weighed less on Mrs. Buhari conviction to speak truth to power, no matter whose ox is gored– an unusual trait exhibited by most people in the corridor of power.

While Buhari may as usual, be “unaware of things” even to the extent of not knowing "45 out of 50 of the people" in his government, the first lady has consistently shown courage to advocate for the well-being of ordinary Nigerians. This uncommon bravery was more pronounced on Saturday, 25th of May, 2019 when Mrs. Buhari declared that the implementation of Social Investment Programme (SIP) has failed.

According to her, the intended purpose of the scheme have been largely unfulfilled and wondered how the huge fund voted for the scheme have been utilized. Though, she seemed to be particular about the impact of "the N500bn voted for SIP, that was part of the 2015 campaigns where they promised to give out N10,000, feed pupils in primary schools and give N5,000 to the poorest of the poorer," in the North but she succeeded in subjecting the scheme for public scrutiny.

Shortly after the anniversary of his inauguration on May 29, 2016, President Buhari introduced the SIP programmes towards eradicating poverty and augment the scourge of unemployment and boost enrollment in schools. But as observed by Mrs. Buhari, the implementation of the Programme have made no real impact. From increasing unemployment figures to rising poverty index which have made Nigeria the poverty capital of the world, the experience have been hellish.

Though, government regularly makes bogus claim about the impact of the SIP programmes but that have failed to tally with the reality of the situation faced by Nigerians. From public gatherings to social media platforms, Nigerians oftentimes scrutinized most of those claims and usually conclude that they are mostly inaccurate or exaggerated– which has prompted an increasing concerns on the government's precept to the truth.

For those who have paid close attention to the worsening situation of Nigerians in recent time, it will be almost impossible to discard the concerns raised by Mrs. Buhari on the implementation of the SIP programmes. To examine the issue raised in the right perspective; poverty, hunger and unemployment, which are the main focus of the scheme, have not really shown any improvement, if anything, it is now worse than before.

The statistics of Nigerians wallowing in extreme poverty is frightening. Every day, Nigerians continue to slip into extreme poverty and one wonder whether any Programme was ever initiated to tame the tide.

Interestingly, one of the programmes of SIP is the National Conditional Cash Transfer (NCT) Programme, which Mrs. Buhari recalled "is to give the poorest of the poor, N5,000 every month", but as with other programmes, the implementation raised so many questions. Instead of serving as a buffer for the poor and helping them to escape their discomforting situation, the poverty bracket keep surging, hence, fuelling agitations like Mrs. Buhari quipped that "So, I don't know where's the social investment."

Almost every day, we continue to experience shrink of the middle class and more than 8,000 Nigerians go deeper into the extreme poverty line. As of February 13, 2019, World Poverty Clock, a Vienna-based World Data Lab, projected that 91.6 million Nigerians were living below a dollar a day– a sharp surge from the 86.9 million quoted by Brookings Institute in June last year as Nigerians wallowing in extreme poverty.
As clearly illustrated from these data, it is no doubt that Mrs. Buhari assessment of the intervention schemes under her husband has failed. It became even more glaring from the response of the Senior Special Assistance to the President on SIP, Maryam Uwais, who tried to dismiss the issues raised by Mrs. Buhari by saying "I believe that if she (Aisha) were to listen to the information they have there, if she were to check our data, she would be able to find all the beneficiaries."

I'm sorry to admit it but Mrs. Uwais really missed the issue at hand. Checking SIP data would not answer the doubts agitating the minds of Nigerians on the scheme, which Mrs. Buhari only echoed on their behalf. Infact, ordinary Nigerians on the streets do not require a PowerPoint or pages of newspaper to gauge the progress made by the scheme. They can see with their eyes and can easily tell if they have been really impacted.

It is the same data which Mrs. Uwais flaunt, that have seen the SIP expended $185 million for the Home Grown Feeding Programme, yet, no fewer than 13.2 million children are still outside the wall of classroom– the highest in the world. Or, that despite spending N6bn on N-Power every month, more than 20 million Nigerians still remain unemployed. It's obvious that not data but real action can give Nigerians the expected results.

The truth as aptly captured by Mrs. Buhari is, the scheme has failed to meet the desired impact. Although, SIP may presents bold and practical mechanisms to improve the lives of Nigerians but the implementation has created much doubts than answers. That is what Mrs. Buhari has courageously pointed out and that bravery will take a long time in the minds of Nigerians.

Oke Umurhohwo is a Political Analyst and Strategist. He tweets via @OkeStalyf and can be reached via oke.umu@gmail.com

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by Tocynone(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2019
I agree. She’s indeed courageous

4 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:45pm On May 31, 2019
Beautiful and aptly put

2 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by stalyf(m): 7:00pm On May 31, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
Beautiful and aptly put

Thank you �
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by GOFRONT(m): 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2019
Chaii....This Aisha Fine Sha!!!!!

1 Like

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by tesppidd: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2019
On the flip side, if Patience Jonathan, Stella Obasanjo and previous First ladies had been like this (Aisha), instead of embezzling billions from their offices as "FIRST LADIES", maybe Nigeria would be a better place today!

Just maybe!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by aolawale025: 1:17pm On Jun 02, 2019
Seems they taking people for a ride while enjoying power

1 Like

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by GeorgeTheCoder: 1:17pm On Jun 02, 2019
When she tells her husband he is unqualified and unfit for power and should retire to Daura, wake me up. Till then this article is rubbish

7 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by osemoses1234(m): 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2019
[quote author=ohyoulove post=78950482] shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
OMG last last u go die oo
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by RemiTinubu(f): 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2019
GeorgeTheCoder:
When she tells her husband he is unqualified and unfit for power and should retire to Daura, wake me up. Till then this article is rubbish
thanks
this is what she should have done since instead she supported the incompetent terrorist called buhari

Thunder scatter Buhari Insha'Allah amin
Thunder scatter aisha masha Allah amin

3 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by babyfaceafrica: 1:21pm On Jun 02, 2019
wetin concern him?
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by Saintp(m): 1:22pm On Jun 02, 2019
Has Nigeria as a country ever gotten anything right?
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by lonelydora: 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2019
WEEK = Women's Education Ends in Kitchen oza room
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by Babaalawo: 1:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
I am sure she is nursing a political ambition come 2023.

3 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by eagleeye2: 1:44pm On Jun 02, 2019
Aisha Buhari, is a children of hate....and idiotic pig ... when her 'horseband' Jonathan was there, why didn't she say anything.
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by eagleeye2: 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2019
Babaalawo:
I am sure she is nursing a political ambition come 2023.
Gbam.... she is and we the patriotic Nigerians will not vote for her.

2 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by SarkinYarki: 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2019
We all knee those funds were going to be stolen silly under the nose of a daft inattentive Buhari!!!! 500 billion Naira that could have been used to improve the Nigerian economy or education sector or health sector just allowed to be stolen by aides of the president under the guise of incognito disbursements..
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by Terver90: 2:05pm On Jun 02, 2019
It is quite unfortunate that my dear country go hopeless the more, I thank GOD that the first lady is open to the truth. But unfortunately, we Nigerian have allowed sentiments that tear us apart the more to preside over our right senses of judgement. Nigerians are really suffering in poverty, even the crumbs thrown to us to resucitate us are been tampered with, leaving us more poverty stricken. Government jobs are almost not a thing for the non rich nor the noninfluential class, all these are serious issues that are beyond sentiments, but unfortunately the poor that need to unite against this massive injustices and more, are even more divided than those who caused them their misery. I graduated in 2016, completed my NYSC in 2017 and I am yet to get a serious job, and the age keep increasing and there is this trend for a younger age bracket for jobs by both government and private sectors. Well I commend the first lady boldness to step out and voice out for the voiceless imagine, someone providing data to discredit the first lady efforts, anybody can generate data, the fact remains, Nigerians are no longer feeling like part of this nation anymore. We need to wake up in this country

1 Like

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by BerryAnny(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2019
I wonder the reason why Nigerians failed to see beyond Aisha Buhari's hypocrisy. This was the same woman that vowed not to campaign for her husband's second term ambition but we all witnessed wetin sup during the campaign periods.
Benue, Zamfara killings has been going on for months but she keep mute and turn a blind eye to that but anytime the cabal are messing her up, she remember Nigerian's plight then.
She has been in sifia pains since her brother was denied Adamawa Governorship ticket.
I refused to be zombified....

5 Likes

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by Terver90: 2:42pm On Jun 02, 2019
BerryAnny:
I wonder the reason why Nigerians failed to see beyond Aisha Buhari's hypocrisy. This was the same woman that vowed not to campaign for her husband's second term ambition but we all witnessed wetin sup during the campaign periods.
Benue, Zamfara killings has been going on for months but she keep mute and turn a blind eye to that but anytime the cabal are messing her up, she remember Nigerian's plight then.
She has been in sifia pains since her brother was denied Adamawa Governorship ticket.
I refused to be zombified....
My brother see that woman has limits on certain issues, the fact that she is the wife to Mr president does not mean she is in agreement with the wrongs in the system.

1 Like

Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by segunoz(m): 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2019
Aisha and her husband are playing "Good cop, Bad cop"
if you know, you know.
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by FWmarvel(m): 3:54pm On Jun 02, 2019
You are right bro. It has become very obvious that Mrs Aisha Buhari seems to know more about the true happenings in the country than her globe trotting husband. May God help us ala.I am afraid, it just gonna be another 4 years of uncertainties.
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by FWmarvel(m): 4:00pm On Jun 02, 2019
stalyf:
Sometime in 2016, President Muhammadu Buhari sparked a controversy when his comment downplayed the potentials of women and gave the impression that the seclusion of a man's house is the place most suitable place for them. The president had shocked his audience, including his host, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany when he said "I don't know which party my wife belongs to, but she belongs to my kitchen, the living room and the other room."

Buhari was reacting to criticisms of his government by his wife, Aisha Buhari, who alarmed that her husband's government has been hijacked by a "few people" who are preventing him from meeting up to electioneering promises. But that weighed less on Mrs. Buhari conviction to speak truth to power, no matter whose ox is gored– an unusual trait exhibited by most people in the corridor of power.

While Buhari may as usual, be “unaware of things” even to the extent of not knowing "45 out of 50 of the people" in his government, the first lady has consistently shown courage to advocate for the well-being of ordinary Nigerians. This uncommon bravery was more pronounced on Saturday, 25th of May, 2019 when Mrs. Buhari declared that the implementation of Social Investment Programme (SIP) has failed.

According to her, the intended purpose of the scheme have been largely unfulfilled and wondered how the huge fund voted for the scheme have been utilized. Though, she seemed to be particular about the impact of "the N500bn voted for SIP, that was part of the 2015 campaigns where they promised to give out N10,000, feed pupils in primary schools and give N5,000 to the poorest of the poorer," in the North but she succeeded in subjecting the scheme for public scrutiny.

Shortly after the anniversary of his inauguration on May 29, 2016, President Buhari introduced the SIP programmes towards eradicating poverty and augment the scourge of unemployment and boost enrollment in schools. But as observed by Mrs. Buhari, the implementation of the Programme have made no real impact. From increasing unemployment figures to rising poverty index which have made Nigeria the poverty capital of the world, the experience have been hellish.

Though, government regularly makes bogus claim about the impact of the SIP programmes but that have failed to tally with the reality of the situation faced by Nigerians. From public gatherings to social media platforms, Nigerians oftentimes scrutinized most of those claims and usually conclude that they are mostly inaccurate or exaggerated– which has prompted an increasing concerns on the government's precept to the truth.

For those who have paid close attention to the worsening situation of Nigerians in recent time, it will be almost impossible to discard the concerns raised by Mrs. Buhari on the implementation of the SIP programmes. To examine the issue raised in the right perspective; poverty, hunger and unemployment, which are the main focus of the scheme, have not really shown any improvement, if anything, it is now worse than before.

The statistics of Nigerians wallowing in extreme poverty is frightening. Every day, Nigerians continue to slip into extreme poverty and one wonder whether any Programme was ever initiated to tame the tide.

Interestingly, one of the programmes of SIP is the National Conditional Cash Transfer (NCT) Programme, which Mrs. Buhari recalled "is to give the poorest of the poor, N5,000 every month", but as with other programmes, the implementation raised so many questions. Instead of serving as a buffer for the poor and helping them to escape their discomforting situation, the poverty bracket keep surging, hence, fuelling agitations like Mrs. Buhari quipped that "So, I don't know where's the social investment."

Almost every day, we continue to experience shrink of the middle class and more than 8,000 Nigerians go deeper into the extreme poverty line. As of February 13, 2019, World Poverty Clock, a Vienna-based World Data Lab, projected that 91.6 million Nigerians were living below a dollar a day– a sharp surge from the 86.9 million quoted by Brookings Institute in June last year as Nigerians wallowing in extreme poverty.
As clearly illustrated from these data, it is no doubt that Mrs. Buhari assessment of the intervention schemes under her husband has failed. It became even more glaring from the response of the Senior Special Assistance to the President on SIP, Maryam Uwais, who tried to dismiss the issues raised by Mrs. Buhari by saying "I believe that if she (Aisha) were to listen to the information they have there, if she were to check our data, she would be able to find all the beneficiaries."

I'm sorry to admit it but Mrs. Uwais really missed the issue at hand. Checking SIP data would not answer the doubts agitating the minds of Nigerians on the scheme, which Mrs. Buhari only echoed on their behalf. Infact, ordinary Nigerians on the streets do not require a PowerPoint or pages of newspaper to gauge the progress made by the scheme. They can see with their eyes and can easily tell if they have been really impacted.

It is the same data which Mrs. Uwais flaunt, that have seen the SIP expended $185 million for the Home Grown Feeding Programme, yet, no fewer than 13.2 million children are still outside the wall of classroom– the highest in the world. Or, that despite spending N6bn on N-Power every month, more than 20 million Nigerians still remain unemployed. It's obvious that not data but real action can give Nigerians the expected results.

The truth as aptly captured by Mrs. Buhari is, the scheme has failed to meet the desired impact. Although, SIP may presents bold and practical mechanisms to improve the lives of Nigerians but the implementation has created much doubts than answers. That is what Mrs. Buhari has courageously pointed out and that bravery will take a long time in the minds of Nigerians.

Oke Umurhohwo is a Political Analyst and Strategist. He tweets via @OkeStalyf and can be reached via oke.umu@gmail.com
Well written. BRAVO!
Re: 'Comrade' Aisha Buhari: Beyond The Other Room By Oke Umurhohwo (@OkeStalyf) by stalyf(m): 4:10pm On Jun 02, 2019
FWmarvel:

Well written. BRAVO!

Thank you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira Redesign: APC Governors Provoking Anarchy - Atiku / Happy Birthday To President Goodluck Jonathan / I’m A Product Of God’s Special Mercy, Protection - Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.