Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / . (2189 Views)

I Scored 283 in JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In Abia State University? / I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? / I Scored 300 In My JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by iknowexperts: 6:15pm On May 31, 2019
Re: . by Observer007(m): 8:46pm On May 31, 2019
Following this thread, I am.
Re: . by Gabbyayo(m): 9:22pm On May 31, 2019
shocked
Re: . by Tycike: 1:41am On Jun 01, 2019
How can i get the materials
Re: . by iknowexperts: 4:29am On Jun 01, 2019
SHORT CUT TO IELTS SUCCESS - SPEAKING

In this post, I am going to show you the strategies I used that got me an 8.5 in IELTS Speaking. The good thing is that these strategies are easy to understand and easy to apply. Just reading about these strategies will make you better in the Speaking test. *winks.

...And at the end, I will also share a link where you can get Ademiluyi David's full IELTS High score PROGRAM. This program contains very useful materials, resources and simple practical strategies that will fetch you a high score in the IELTS

This is a long post, but I have divided it by including headlines to make it easy to read

So, here we go...

I am a hard working person. But unlike most hardworking people, I believe in short cuts, and I believe there is a short cut to achieving almost anything under the sun

What is that short cut?

To me, the best shot cut is to find a person who has achieved what you want. Meet him (or her), and let him guide you. That way, you avoid most of the errors you will likely encounter if you had set out alone. And you don't waste time on trial and error

Getting guidance from someone who had taken the IELTS and scored high was my first priority when I registered for the test. And luckily, I achieved that priority right on time.

Now, Before I talk about the strategies I used, it is important you first understand the format for the IELTS Speaking test. If you know the format already, you can skip to the main gist. If you don't, I suggest you continue without skipping.

===THE IELTS SPEAKING TEST FORMAT===

The IELTS Speaking test is a face to face interview between you the test taker and the examiner. This section usually lasts between 11 - 14 minutes. It is recorded (for assessment purpose) and It is divided into 3 different but related parts.

In Part 1: The examiner will introduce him or herself and ask you to introduce yourself and confirm your identity usually by checking your passport.

The examiner will go on to ask you general questions on familiar topics, e.g. home, family, work, studies and interests. This is meant to make you relax and talk naturally, but your performance will also be assessed

In Part 2: The examiner will give you a task card which asks you to talk about a particular topic, including 3 or 4 points to include in your talk.

You will be given one minute to prepare and make notes. You will then be asked to talk for 2 minutes on the topic.

You will not be interrupted during this time, so it is important you keep talking. The examiner will then ask you one or two questions on the same topic.

In Part 3: The examiner will ask you further questions which are connected to the topic of Part 2. These questions are designed to give you an opportunity to discuss more abstract issues and ideas.

IELTS SPEAKING SUCCESS STRATEGIES I USED
Now, back to the main purpose of this thread which is to help you pass the IELTS.
What are the strategies that can make you score high in the Speaking test?

=== HIGH SCORE STRATEGIES FOR SPEAKING ===

First of all, here are the 3 parts of speaking in terms of what the examiner wants yo to do

Part 1: You are expected to do small talk
Part 2: You are expected to tell a good story
Part 3: You are expected to discuss big ideas

Let's take it step by step.

Part 1: SMALL TALK
One of the simple strategy I learnt and used which gave me a high score was to add extra details in my answers, even though I wasn't asked for them. How do I mean? I will explain.

In Part 1, after you have introduced yourself and confirmed your identity, the examiner will ask you simple and general questions such as which school did you attend, are you a student or are you working? Do you still live with your parents? Do you like sports? Tell me about your favorite holiday spot?

If you notice, you can answer most of these questions with one sentence or just by saying a simple YES or NO. But don't, that will fetch you a low score.

Dont just answer with one sentence, or answer with a yes or no and then stop there. Give additional details

For example, one of the questions the examiner asked me was do you like sports?

I didnt answer by only saying "Yes I do" and ended there. I gave extra details because it allowed me the opportunity to show off my language. And that is what the examiner wants you to do. Show off your language.

Observe how I answered the question "do you like sports?"

My reply: "Yes. I do like sports. In fact, I enjoy playing and watching a variety of sports such as football, basket ball and running. My favorite sport is football. Back in secondary school I used to play football almost on a daily basis.
Presently, I hardly have time to hit the pitch. But during the weekends, I do watch some football, especially the English Premier League. I plan on engaging myself more actively in sports because it is one of the ways I can keep fit"

Another example. This time from from one of the real IELTS interview videos recommended in Ademiluyi's High Score program. The test taker scored a 9.0 in Speaking

N/B: watching actual ielts speaking videos is a pretty effective way to prepare. That way you can model your answers to those who scored high
and secondly, you can see and avoid the mistakes of those who scored low. This is one part of the Materials in the Highscore Program that really helped me)

In the interview video, he was asked "where do you live?"

Below was his answer

"I live in the Kala Ghola district in Mumbai which is a really lively and vibrant city. I stay in a 142 years building close to the city center. This allows me to conveniently access various parts of the city without much stress. My neighborhood is a little bit classy, so naturally, it's a little bit more expensive to live in compared to other houses around town. Basically, that's where I live, in an old building close to the city center"

As you can see, this test taker who scored a 9.0 in speaking didn't just say the address of his house and stopped there. He extended his answers by giving extra details in a fluent manner.

You can also observe my answer. I included relevant details in my answer to the question "do you like sports" even though I wasn't directly asked for them.

When you do this, you are demonstrating to the examiner you have a good command of English.

In summary, to score high in part 1 (small talk),one of the most important things you should do is to avoid giving one worded answers
or answering with one liners. You have to elaborate and extend your answers.

As practice, try giving extra details when you are answering questions in your every day conversations. You will observe that in a day or two, you will become very comfortable speaking that way and when you take the IELTS Speaking, answering your questions will come naturally to you.

In my next post, I will be talking about Part 2 of Speaking. Where you are expected to come up with an interesting story and speak for 2 mins.

Here is the link to Ademiluyi David's IELTS high score program, where you get the full materials, resources and strategies

https://www.iknowexperts.com.ng/ielts_high_score_program

TO BE CONTINUED
Re: . by Gynn: 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2019
Wehdon OP. Keep it rolling
Re: . by iknowexperts: 9:31pm On Jun 01, 2019
(cont) PART TWO: TELL A GOOD STORY

A quick one before I head back to the Champions league final

To be successful in part 2, basically, what you need is to be able to tell a good story. Once you can tell a good story in part 2, you will perform very well.

Like I earlier said, in this section of the speaking test, you will be given a task card
and inside the task card will be a topic containing 3 or 4 points you should speak on. You have one minute to prepare and two minutes to talk...

... And the topic you are given can be about anything.
Mine was about my most important gift.

When I watched the past IELTS Speaking videos which were among the materials given in Ademiluyi's High program,
one thing I noticed about the test takers who scored 6.5 and below was they usually finished talking about everything in their task card in around 30 or 40 seconds

After 30 or 40 seconds, when they realize their time is not yet up, they start repeating their points, and repeating their words and repeating their ideas. And the rate at which they say "... erms" and putting many pauses in between their speech start increasing. All these goes against the scoring criteria for the IELTS Speaking.

The truth of the matter is, it is difficult to speak STRICTLY on a particular topic for 2 minutes especially when you have little time to prepare.

For example, try speaking about the clothes you are wearing for the next 2 minutes to see what I mean

Now, there are 2 things you can do during part 2 that will allow you speak for even more than 2 minutes no matter the topic you are asked to speak on:

1. Temporally go off-point
2. Lie. Yes you read right. Lie

Now, in my next post I will explain how you can use these techniques to tell a good story no matter the topic you're given

Meanwhile, to get Ademiluyi David's High Score program,visit...
https://www.iknowexperts.com.ng//ielts_high_score_program

You will also get very useful study materials and past questions for your practice...

TO BE CONTINUED....

1 Like

Re: . by iknowexperts: 6:50am On Jun 04, 2019
(cont) SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR TELLING A GOOD STORY NO MATTER THE TOPIC

When a friend took the IELTS Speaking, he was asked in part 2 to talk about the river in his hometown. And he was to also talk about the kind of water animals you can find there, how long the river is and the kind of activities that go on around the river.

Now, this my friend is from Bayelsa, and there was a river which passed through his community quite alright, but he had never been to his village or anywhere close to a river since he was a little boy.

Now, you will agree with me that he was in a difficult situation. But guess what, he scored an 8.0 in Speaking.

If he had told the examiner that he had not been close to a river for a long time and as such he cannot talk about this topic, I assure you he would have scored very low.

But using the same techniques of
1. Speaking off point temporarily, and
2. Embellishing
he was able to speak for about 2 minutes before he was asked to stop by the examiner.

1. Speaking Off Point Temporarily

This is very simple to do. What this entails is that, when you are talking about an item, you take sometime to talk about some other variable of the item before you return to the item itself

For example, someone is asked to talk about the shirt he is wearing. While talking about the color of the shirt (lets say it is blue) he could also talk about how blue is a very relaxing color and how research has proven it helps people fall asleep easier (I made that up).
After this, he returns to talking about the shirt

2. Embellishing

Basically, this means you have to lie. Embellish means to add extra details to your story that are often untrue to make it more interesting.

When the tutor said this, I was a little uncomfortable. But the I got to understand that the IELTS examiner does not care if what you are saying is true or not....

.... He only cares if you are following the criteria for Speaking which are pronunciation, grammar, fluency and coherence and some others which I can't remember right now

I'll explain how I incorporated these techniques when I did the IELTS

When I did the IELTS Speaking test, below the line is the topic I was asked to talk on

* Who gave it to you
* When and why it was given to you
* Whether you still use it

And explain why you consider it to be a very important gift

As you can see, you can talk about the topic and points in the above task card in less than a minute. But following th 2 techniques above I was able to speak for 2 mins

This is how I spoke about the topic in the task card..
I chose to speak about a watch as my most important gift. First, I took the 1 minute to gather my thoughts using the preparation strategy talked about in Ademiluyi David's IELTS high score program.

...Then I started my story

"I consider my Casio gold watch to be the most important gift I have ever received, and I can never imagine trading it for something else"

Dot Point 1: Who Gave It To You?

It was given to me by my grand mother on her 81st birthday. She was an adventurous woman and the first woman from my state to belong to the navy. She always wore it to all her travels. On one of her trips from Africa o Europe, the vessel she was on collided with an iceberg. Thankfully there was no extensive damage and no life was lost. But this watch fell on to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean and she thought she had lost it forever.

Amazingly, four months after, it was found by a group of underwater divers at the top of the sea bed 250m below sea level. And somehow it was returned to her in perfect working condition

Since then, the watch has been a family treasure and is to be passed on to the most trusted offspring of my grandparents. It was to be my father, but he is no more, so my granny passed it to me.

As you can see, I'm talking off point... I'm talking about where I got the watch from and at the same time I am talking about my grandmother

... And, I entirely made up the story about my grandmother

By the way, talking off topic in IELTS Speaking is absolutely allowed. It us only in Writing you are expected to write essays that are strictly on topic. In speaking, you are graded based on grammar, pronunciation fluency and coherence...
And not whether you remain on topic or not...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: ASUU Tells FG Not To Open Schools Till End Of Pandemic / FG Considers ASUU's UTAS As Alternative To IPPIS / NECO Delayed Payment Of Examiners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.