Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada (861 Views)

4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / Nigerian In Philippines Displays Relief Items Given To Him By Government / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by obafemee80(m): 9:28am On Jun 01, 2019

A cargo ship carrying 69 shipping containers (1500 tonnes ) of rubbish dumped in the  Philippines  by Canada more than five years ago has left the Southeast Asian country on Friday May 31st, as nations in the region increasingly reject serving as dumpsites for wealthier states.

The Philippine government,headed by Rodrigo Duterte,recalled its ambassador and consuls in Canada earlier this month over Ottawa's failure to comply with a May 15 deadline to take back the waste.

Canada had mislabeled the garbage, which includes plastic bags, bottles, diapers and newspapers, sending tons of household waste instead of recyclable plastics. Western nations,including the US have been sending their garbage to Asian countries for more than 25 years.

China served as the largest international dumping ground until it banned imported plastic waste last year. That pushed much of the foreign trash onto other developing nations like Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam.

Malaysia also said it refused to become an international dumping ground and would return 3,300 tons of waste to Western countries.

I Hope Africa Won't Be The Next International Dumping Ground . What Do You Think?

https://autojosh.com/philippines-ships-69-containers-containing-1500-tons-of-dumped-rubbish-back-to-canada/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by hacmond(m): 9:32am On Jun 01, 2019
What do I need to say now? I go check back later dis go make FP�
Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by Mariangeles(f): 9:49am On Jun 01, 2019
Refuse has always being a major problem in the Philippines.

I've always wondered where those mountainous refuse came from, now I know .
Kudos to the their President...even though the guy can be beastly sometimes undecided

1 Like

Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by saheedbadmus(m): 9:52am On Jun 01, 2019
Craze dey dere head ..why export waste to another mans land when what they asked for is simply plastic bottles and not diappers

1 Like

Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by otokx(m): 10:46am On Jun 01, 2019
Humans are always humans, Canada has so much unused land that can function as a massive landfill, instead they ship it off to the small island nation of Philippines, kudos to their President for sending it back.

2 Likes

Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by GloShare(m): 12:37pm On Jun 01, 2019
otokx:
Humans are always humans, Canada has so much unused land that can function as a massive landfill, instead they ship it off to the small island nation of Philippines, kudos to their President for sending it back.

Well, I'm an environmentalist and I can tell you for sure that no sane country will bury waste, especially plastics.

Firstly, it can completely ruin the geography of the place it is buried.

Secondly, it can have a negative effect on the water table as rain water seeps into the ground, blends with the reactants and goes further down the water table.

Phillipines is a major recycler, and they had been recycling wastes for decades. The issue with this batch is that the plastics were already too degraded to be recycled properly.
Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by BiggerbossAmani(m): 12:55pm On Jun 01, 2019
In Nigeria nobody cares
Re: Philippines Ships 69 Containers Of Dumped Rubbish Back To Canada by Amuocha: 10:40pm On Jun 01, 2019
Great job

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Living In Panama City, Panama / Stuck Between Doing WES Canada Or Poland Student Visa / How To Send NECO To WES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.