Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Java Or Kotlin For Android? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Or Kotlin For Android? (1900 Views)

You Would Better Start Programming With Java Or C# / Kotlin For Android / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Or Kotlin For Android? by paulnewplay: 1:00pm On Jun 02, 2019
Which would u recommend to a learner?

I lean towards java but it seems kotlin will take over and make java obsolete soon.

So which should i go for? Wanna make d right choice nd not regret ?

@anagha123 silverg33k ehissi stanliwise modestbrowser
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by fantasticone1(m): 1:10pm On Jun 02, 2019
I'm a beginner just like you, so I had to do some findings. If you want to understand Kotlin easliy, I'll think you should start with Java. Then move to kotlin. You can find out more on quora.

1 Like

Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 02, 2019
paulnewplay:

I lean towards java but it seems kotlin will take over and make java obsolete soon.

I'd go for kotlin sha...
Btw..... I'm more of the web
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by spoilerx: 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
definitely Java .
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by SilverG33k(m): 12:37pm On Jun 04, 2019
As far as I know, kotlin can only build Android apps for now, if you know one, switching to the other won't be hard

Kotlin is new but there are still tons of developers using java out there, java is not only to build Android apps, be guided, I'd prefer you learn java, its still going to be around for a long time
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by afuye(m): 3:53pm On Jun 04, 2019
Dont waste your time, learn Dart for flutter and deploy application that runs on iOS and Android at same time using one code base. Simple

2 Likes

Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by EvilSec: 4:22pm On Jun 04, 2019
afuye:
Dont waste your time, learn Dart for flutter and deploy application that runs on iOS and Android at same time using one code base. Simple
I'm glad someone else cares about cross platform development xD.
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by Pisama: 6:27pm On Jun 04, 2019
afuye:

Nice, but note also that kotlin is now cross-platform

1 Like

Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by EvilSec: 8:50pm On Jun 04, 2019
Pisama:

Having a limited number of available libraries is still a big con!
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by afuye(m): 9:21pm On Jun 04, 2019
Using flutter involves learning dart language. The big thing is that by 2020 Google is launching a new operating system called Fuchsia will power all Google devices and desktops and will run dart apps as well. Fuchsia is written in c, c++, Dart and Rust
EvilSec:

Having a limited number of available libraries is still a big con!
Pisama:

Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by asalimpo(m): 12:38pm On Jun 05, 2019
afuye:
Using flutter involves learning dart language. The big thing is that by 2020 Google is launching a new operating system called Fuchsia will power all Google devices and desktops and will run dart apps as well. Fuchsia is written in c, c++, Dart and Rust
even with a new os, android will still b around for the next 10yrs! Because, everyone will not suddenly ditch their mobile phones because google has a new offering. Migrating devs to fuschia ,if fuschia is successful, will take time-years.
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by Millerules(m): 11:27pm On Jun 05, 2019
Kotlin is awesome!!. No boiler plate code, very easy to understand.
If you have a good knowledge of OOP and/or Functional programming you can jump-start ur Android career with Kotlin. If you don't, I'll advice you start with Java nd there are lots of resources online.
I am a beginner as well (Android Development, started few weeks ago).
Took about 8 months to teach myself Java (mayb not in a professional style, bt I can comfortably write programs to solve any problem i need to + UI design) and roughly a month on Kotlin (yea!! If u coming from Java). Currently taking Google's Android Development with Kotlin Course on Udacity and its totally free.

My Advice: Start with Java cos Java is going nowhere. Its a plus if u have knowledge of the two.

1 Like

Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by stanliwise(m): 12:23pm On Jun 06, 2019
paulnewplay:

sorry I didn't answer you on time o. it was one mod that ban me for a week for a comment I consider not offensive. Anyway before I answer your question properly, may I ask how much you know in java? Or how long have you been doing java?
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by asalimpo(m): 3:12pm On Jun 07, 2019
stanliwise:
sorry I didn't answer you on time o. it was one mod that ban me for a week for a comment I consider not offensive. Anyway before I answer your question properly, may I ask how much you know in java? Or how long have you been doing java?
.... How much will u charge him for offline, "mentoring"?
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by paulnewplay: 3:24pm On Jun 07, 2019
4 months experience or thereabout. Java.
But i've researched for longer.
Programming is hard but interestng.

@stanliwise
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by stanliwise(m): 4:29pm On Jun 07, 2019
asalimpo:

.... How much will u charge him for offline, "mentoring"?
sorry I don't get you?
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by stanliwise(m): 4:39pm On Jun 07, 2019
paulnewplay:
4 months experience or thereabout. Java.
But i've researched for longer.
Programming is hard but interestng.

@stanliwise
4 what? I was expecting a year of there about? The actual question I should have asked is how experienced are you generally in programming.

If you don't want to do java because it is not what you are naturally inclined to then fine but for the kotlin and the rest you're talking about is actually just nothing but news headlines, Java isn't going nowhere, it is here to stay.
You're too young to start worrying about what technology and what is needed for one thing or another, if you start this way, you will end up learning about 20 languages within 5years. yes you heard me right!
with just four months of programming java, I don't know how much you know in the programming world. You should concentrate on build small app and learning concept of programming rather than the language itself. Why I am saying this is that many times noobies pick languages based on peer pressure or news flash and sweet stories, not necessarily out of necessity(e.g for a specific job, the new language has a better feature you currently need, it is appeal to your inner perception).

At the end of the day, the choice is yours.
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by paulnewplay: 10:46pm On Jun 07, 2019
stanliwise:
4 what? I was expecting a year of there about? The actual question I should have asked is how experienced are you generally in programming.

If you don't want to do java because it is not what you are naturally inclined to then fine but for the kotlin and the rest you're talking about is actually just nothing but news headlines, Java isn't going nowhere, it is here to stay.
You're too young to start worrying about what technology and what is needed for one thing or another, if you start this way, you will end up learning about 20 languages within 5years. yes you heard me right!
with just four months of programming java, I don't know how much you know in the programming world. You should concentrate on build small app and learning concept of programming rather than the language itself. Why I am saying this is that many times noobies pick languages based on peer pressure or news flash and sweet stories, not necessarily out of necessity(e.g for a specific job, the new language has a better feature you currently need, it is appeal to your inner perception).

At the end of the day, the choice is yours.
ok. It was seeming as if in a few months/years, coding android in java,would seem like coding web backends in perl. I see that i still hav a far way to go. I will try. But this sh*t is hard. Just hope i'll see some money from it down the road otherwise it wont b worth my effort.
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by stanliwise(m): 10:55pm On Jun 07, 2019
paulnewplay:

ok. It was seeming as if in a few months/years, coding android in java,would seem like coding web backends in perl. I see that i still hav a far way to go. I will try. But this sh*t is hard. Just hope i'll see some money from it down the road otherwise it wont b worth my effort.
The drive to earn from programming here in Nigeria is not guaranteed, truth be told. if your mindset is like this, I advise you reconsider your choices. programming as a hobby would fit your current situation. But for the hope that it will pays off. yes it surely would but can you wait? It may be dissapointing during early phase(2-4 years)
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by Philtrik(m): 10:32pm On Jun 08, 2019
SilverG33k:
As far as I know, kotlin can only build Android apps for now, if you know one, switching to the other won't be hard

Kotlin is new but there are still tons of developers using java out there, java is not only to build Android apps, be guided, I'd prefer you learn java, its still going to be around for a long time
Kotlin is not restricted to Android alone.
You can use it to do what Java can do.
It's just that it gained popularity in the Android ecosystem.
Re: Java Or Kotlin For Android? by SilverG33k(m): 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2019
Philtrik:

Kotlin is not restricted to Android alone.
You can use it to do what Java can do.
It's just that it gained popularity in the Android ecosystem.

Yea I figured, its now a multiplatform language, for web mobile, backend... Its just awesome

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Will Soon Be Recruiting ICT Professionals / Hub Of HADOOP Experts/students / PHP Programmer Needed Urgently For Employment In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.