Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? (669 Views)

You Would Better Start Programming With Java Or C# / Java Or Kotlin For Android? / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Swipa: 9:46am On Jun 12, 2020
Hi there. I'm a newbie to android app development. I've heard so much about Kotlin and people say its easier to learn . Should I go ahead with Java or just learn Kotlin?

I appreciate the suggestions.
Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by TUANKU(m): 9:53am On Jun 12, 2020
Kotlin is cool but i would suggest you go with Java.
Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Swipa: 9:54am On Jun 12, 2020
TUANKU:
Kotlin is cool but i would suggest you go with Java.

Why do you think so?
Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by stanliwise(m): 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2020
Swipa:
Hi there. I'm a newbie to android app development. I've heard so much about Kotlin and people say its easier to learn . Should I go ahead with Java or just learn Kotlin?

Java anyday anytime.
It has a larger community than kotlin
Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Coder2Client(m): 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2020
Swipa:

I am a software developer (mobile). I use Java in most of my apps I equally have a grasp of kotlin. I will tell you to start with Java because of large community but kotlin is getting larger as well. And what is the difference between the two? Just the syntax which is applicable to all languages. If you are comfortable with Java you can switch to kotlin within a month. Kotlin has some features which has not been added to Java for Android due to court case btw oracle and Google. Currently, Android supports Java 7 and some fractions of Java 8 like lambda etc not all, though. Kotlin is easy and not easy. It is easy for experience Java Dev that's why it is so easy for me to grasp kotlin within a month. But I'll recommend that you you start with Java. Make sure you have fundamental knowledge of Java before you dive in to Android. Get understanding of Java oop, multithreading, collection, garbage collector, interface and class, anonymous inner class, and with of course loops, conditional statements. With this knowledge, you can start android, build two to three apps then try kotlin.

Love Java, live kotlin. Happy coding.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Swipa: 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2020
Thanks for a detailed answer . I'm going to get this book called 'head first java'. I'll get either the hard or soft copy. .
Coder2Client:
I am a software developer (mobile). I use Java in most of my apps I equally have a grasp of kotlin. I will tell you to start with Java because of large community but kotlin is getting larger as well. And what is the difference between the two? Just the syntax which is applicable to all languages. If you are comfortable with Java you can switch to kotlin within a month. Kotlin has some features which has not been added to Java for Android due to court case btw oracle and Google. Currently, Android supports Java 7 and some fractions of Java 8 like lambda etc not all, though. Kotlin is easy and not easy. It is easy for experience Java Dev that's why it is so easy for me to grasp kotlin within a month. But I'll recommend that you you start with Java. Make sure you have fundamental knowledge of Java before you dive in to Android. Get understanding of Java oop, multithreading, collection, garbage collector, interface and class, anonymous inner class, and with of course loops, conditional statements. With this knowledge, you can start android, build two to three apps then try kotlin.

Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Coder2Client(m): 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2020
Swipa:
Thanks for a detailed answer . I'm going to get this book called 'head first java'. I'll get either the hard or soft copy. .
You must get that book please. That book helped me and still helping me. After that, get Effective Java, Head first design patterns, and then you can get clean code if you want to. So, for the Android, Head first Android development and Big Nerd Ranch books are really great. For advance android development get Professional Android 4th edition.
I prefer reading books to videos there are some videos that are good though.

You will surely come to a point of going back, and giving up , then at that point get some motivation to forge you ahead. Programming is not easy and it won't be easy. Get the basics strong and move on. If you don't get the basics right you might likely give up in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by micodon(m): 6:50pm On Jun 12, 2020
No language is better than the other. Use the right tool for the job.

E.g I have a bias towards golang and rust. But, if I'm tasked to build a static website / blog, I'd definitely do it in PHP.

Again, I say: use the right tool for the job
Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2020
Start with Java. When you're past the novice level, then learn Kotlin too.

Don't learn Kotlin first.

2 Likes

Re: Guys Please Tell Me. Java Or Kotlin? Which Is Better? by Swipa: 9:09pm On Jun 12, 2020
Thanks guys. I really appreciate. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

(1) (Reply)

How To Add Flutterwave Payment To Flutter [2022] / Freecodecamp No Well Oo / Which Companies Offer Oracle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.