Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,559 members, 7,955,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:11 PM

Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE (354 Views)

Abuja Under Siege Of Unchecked Kidnap Rings / First Bank Robbery: Banker, Three Others Arrested, One Killed As Siege Ends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE by JudgeOGBUNABALI(m): 10:19pm On Jun 02, 2019
The Secretary-General of the Yoruba Council of Elders, Dr Kunle Olajide, has accused herdsmen of laying siege on South-West states and attempting to collude with the Nigerian Police in the region

Olajide, in an interview with Punch, said the Yoruba were under the siege of the herdsmen.

"There have been kidnap cases in recent times and a few of the victims that were lucky to escape told us that their abductors were herdsmen speaking Fulfulde and Hausa languages. So, we are under the siege of the herdsmen," the YCE leader claimed.

Continuing, he stated, "In my own view, I think they are just interested in committing crime; kidnapping people for ransom; killing and raping those they can lay their hands upon. And this, I think, is as a result of desertification in the North and the drying up of the Lake Chad."

He, however, admitted that the herdsmen are moving southward because of the harsh climatic condition as well as the insurgency and banditry in northern states. "This threat to security in the South-West is a spillover of criminals from the northern states," he reasoned. "These Fulani herdsmen are nomadic and they are always on the move. I don’t think they are planning any major attack on the Yorubaland.

"Their intention is no other than to continue to kidnap for huge ransoms in order to make a lot of money as well as corrupt the police system here. But I don’t think anybody can contemplate ‘Islamising’ or ‘Fulanising’ any ethnic group in Nigeria in this age."

When asked how he wants the federal government to solve the issue, Olajide said President Muhammadu Buhari must set in motion true federalism and should decentralize the police.

"True federalism will lead to decentralisation of the police," he argued, "and until the police are decentralised, policing cannot be effective.

The Yoruba leader recalled that Buhari had declared that it is only true federalism than could save Nigeria.

"So, I don’t think the same person that is talking of true federalism can be thinking of ‘Islamising’ or ‘Fulanising’ the country. We should get that out our minds because this siege we are talking about is from criminals," he explained.

Source:

http://saharareporters.com/2019/06/02/herdsmen-laying-siege-south-west-states-planning-collusion-nigerian-police—yce
Re: Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE by JudgeOGBUNABALI(m): 10:20pm On Jun 02, 2019
angry sad
Re: Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE by Masterppower: 11:15pm On Jun 02, 2019
We told them but they didn't listen
Re: Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE by dynicks(m): 11:28pm On Jun 02, 2019
shocked
Re: Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE by willyo(m): 12:01am On Jun 03, 2019
They'll soon reap the fruit propagated by the likes of Tinubu, Obansanjo, Soyinka, etal
Re: Herdsmen Laying Siege On South-west States - YCE by BlackfireX: 10:05am On Jun 03, 2019
False alarm....

The SW is full of warriors, the OPC will deal decisively with them if ythey think of stepping into Yoruba land

(1) (Reply)

Protest In Umuahia Over The Death Christian Onuoha Who Was Killed By A Police / Police Arrest Kidnappers, Rescue Victims In Anambra / 43-Year-Old Man With 4 Wives, Defiles Friend’s 12-Year-Old Daughter(Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.