Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,485 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile (41526 Views)

Isa Pantami: The Nigerian Minister Haunted By His Extremist Views - BBC / Akwa Ibom State Governor Renames Int'l Airport After Ex-Governor Victor Attah / BREAKING: Another Ex-nigerian Governor Joshua Dariye Convicted Of Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Greatpoet(m): 12:43am On Jun 03, 2019
Nigeria’s erstwhile Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, has signalled his intention to return to the country four years after proceeding abroad on self-exile.

In an exclusive interview with PREMIUM TIMES, the former minister dismissed suggestions that he was evading prosecution by the Nigerian authorities.

Mr Adoke said he was getting ready to return between July and September, after four years outside the country on self-imposed exile.

“I am ready to submit myself to prosecution. I am not ready to submit myself to persecution,” he said, as he justified his prolonged stay outside the country.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said some appointees of the Goodluck Jonathan administration, including Mr Adoke, have questions to answer concerning  the infamous $1.1billion Malabu Oil scandal for which oil giants Shell and ENI are being prosecuted in multiple jurisdictions.

But the former attorney general has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and a Nigerian court ruled in April 2018 that he cannot be held personally liable for his role in the controversial deal.

In the judgement, Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court agreed with Mr Adoke’s submissions that his involvement in the transaction, which resulted in the sale of Nigeria’s oil well, OPL 245, was in compliance with his constitutional duties as attorney general.

In his interview with this medium, the former minister said his stay abroad has little to do with the Malabu matter.

He said he initially left the country for further studies but that as he was planning to return after his academic programme, he received counsel from some influential well-wishers that there was a plot to unjustly incarcerate him and that he should stay away from harm’s way.

“I would not put myself before a moving train,” he said. “… I needed to be heard because the modus operandi of those investigating was working to an answer, not investigative.”

Mr Adoke said he also needed time to attend to his health while also documenting the story of his stewardship.

The former minister, who left Nigeria in June 2015, first headed to The Hague, where he undertook advanced studies in international criminal law, graduating in August 2016.

“I worked on some very credible intelligence at that time from people from within and outside the government. I was advised not to come back at that time,” he told this newspaper.

“So, I had the option to go on for my PhD. I had even submitted my proposal for the PhD. At the same time, allegations were being made against me, which I needed to clear. At the end I opted for writing about my experience.”

Mr Adoke said he has just completed his memoir titled “Burden of Service”, which is due for release in July.

He described the book as a tell-all narrative which documented his five-year tenure as attorney general of the federation, and some key political and administrative moments of the country during the period of his stewardship.

Mr Adoke said many people accused of infractions were not being accorded fair hearing during investigation, hence his decision to first tell his own story.

The book’s title, he said, underlines the burden that comes with public office in Nigeria “because it is really a burden to serve Nigeria as a country that is ungrateful to those who have served it”.

Mr Adoke lamented that his job as attorney general was a tough and difficult one, with many expectations and difficult decisions to contend with.

“From my experience, if people can’t eat, it is the attorney general,” he said. “If people don’t get appointment, it is the attorney general. If people didn’t get this, it is the attorney general. So, it is a very difficult job and people who have passed through that office would tell you that it is very difficult.”

Mr Adoke however commended former President Goodluck Jonathan for giving him free hands to operate as the country’s number one law officer.

“But I was very lucky, I had a very understanding president. I had a president who allowed me to do my work. I had a president who has a listening ear.

“I had a president who understood the fact that he was a constitutional president and must work within the confines of the law.

“On issues of the law he deferred to me. If you tell the president something is illegal he would not go ahead and do it, no matter the prejudices or his preferences.”

Source: https://ngg.ng/2019/06/02/exclusive-four-years-after-ex-nigerian-minister-set-to-return-home-from-exile/

3 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by bizza45: 2:35am On Jun 03, 2019
cone back first, if u are found guilty buhari govt will give u a freehand to operate in prison

24 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 3:37am On Jun 03, 2019
who sent him on exile before?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by iammo(m): 5:23am On Jun 03, 2019
cool

After seeing Fayose, Obanikoro and FFK still working free, his chances of working free is higher as a lawyer, and if he decides to work with EFCC to nail PDP bigwigs, APC might reward him with a political position.

If he succesfully lands in Nigeria, am very certain Jonathan would run and leave for exile... Jonathan's freedom hangs in the hands of Okonjo the finance minister, Adoke the Antoney General and Allison Madueke the petroleum Minister and the cashcow

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by BruncleZuma: 5:26am On Jun 03, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by babdap: 5:28am On Jun 03, 2019
The fear of Buhari is............

2 Likes

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by utenwuson: 5:28am On Jun 03, 2019
This country don tire us......
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by aolawale025: 5:30am On Jun 03, 2019
If he decamps to APC, the equation will change considerably

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by habss: 5:31am On Jun 03, 2019
you are welcome
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Lanre0: 5:33am On Jun 03, 2019
This is one of the destroyers of the country. A grand thief in Jonathan thievery cabinet .GOD will reward all of you accordingly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by MagicPie: 5:34am On Jun 03, 2019
Hello hungry blogger, must u add this your rubbish link and news to every information passed here?
Go upgrade and stop using fake and stupid news as a means to make coins. Haba. The idiot is everywhere on niaraland.
hsskkjshshhmhms:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
OMG

SEE VIDEOS AND PICTURES BELOW

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEOS:https://whywearyu..com/2019/06/when-we-are.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Georgry(m): 5:34am On Jun 03, 2019
There's difference between Persecution and prosecution, but unfortunately BUHARI doesn't know that.. for the first time in the history of our democracy, the executive arm might decide to put someone in life imprisonment and there's nothing the judiciary arm can do about it....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by kaen1317: 5:38am On Jun 03, 2019
Just join APC and your sins will be wiped away.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by ridbell01(m): 5:42am On Jun 03, 2019
aolawale025:
If he decamps to APC, the equation will change considerably
like Jonah Gang?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by deafeyez: 5:45am On Jun 03, 2019
He will be welcomed.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by help9: 5:46am On Jun 03, 2019
You shouldn't be running from pillar to poll if you're entirely innocent
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Kendumazy(m): 5:52am On Jun 03, 2019
OK
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:54am On Jun 03, 2019
bizza45:
cone back first, if u are found guilty buhari govt will give u a freehand to operate in prison
He should quickly join APC. That is what can save him
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Authoreety: 5:55am On Jun 03, 2019
Na dem
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Amanew(m): 5:56am On Jun 03, 2019
That brainless and Senseless Bingo Nyako Again? Judge with Toilet tissue Head!
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Maket: 6:07am On Jun 03, 2019
Greatpoet:

“I am ready to submit myself to prosecution. I am not ready to submit myself to persecution,”
he said, as he justified his prolonged stay outside the country.

In his interview with this medium, the former minister said his stay abroad has little to do with the Malabu matter.

Mr Adoke said he also needed time to attend to his health.

Source: https://ngg.ng/2019/06/02/exclusive-four-years-after-ex-nigerian-minister-set-to-return-home-from-exile/
Is either you are ready or not ..GBAM. Since you said your staying abroad has little to do with malabu scandal.... EOD.
Health matter don enter........we know the
Major characteristic of our yam eaters. shocked

1 Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by izzy4shizzy(m): 6:08am On Jun 03, 2019
Him and bubu son settle nah, him fit the run mouth now
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by GOFRONT(m): 6:09am On Jun 03, 2019
Chaii.....But when will Allison Diezani be set to return Home??

She has also clocked four years outside Naija..
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by magzey: 6:26am On Jun 03, 2019
SPOILT9JAOLOSHO:
who sent him on exile before?
You don forget? Masu Gudu Su Gudu?
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:28am On Jun 03, 2019
The guilty are afraid...

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Eroms4life17(m): 6:29am On Jun 03, 2019
No matter how far a chicken goes, it must always come home to roost.
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by DWJOBScom(m): 6:35am On Jun 03, 2019
I read that GEJ listens and won’t engage in any illegal activity.
He accorded everyone respect in their own fields so he should be called an excellent manager
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by Ewedegubbler: 6:35am On Jun 03, 2019
Where are the betn9ja and sex position merchants. Iya make una take over
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by GMbuharii: 6:35am On Jun 03, 2019
iammo:
cool

After seeing Fayose, Obanikoro and FFK still working free, his chances of working free is higher as a lawyer, and if he decides to work with EFCC to nail PDP bigwigs, APC might reward him with a political position.

If he succesfully lands in Nigeria, am very certain Jonathan would run and leave for exile... Jonathan's freedom hangs in the hands of Okonjo the finance minister, Adoke the Antoney General and Allison Madueke the petroleum Minister and the cashcow

Ogogoro@ 5am
grin
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile by AbleGod32123: 6:55am On Jun 03, 2019
How does that affect price of garri?

(1) (2) (Reply)

12 Things Buhari Said In New Year Broadcast / Jonathan At OIC Summit With Leaders From Islamic Countries (photo) / Uwazuruike Disowns Nnamdi Kanu, Radio Biafra Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.