Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Amazon Becomes The World Most Dangerous Place To Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Amazon Becomes The World Most Dangerous Place To Work (369 Views)

Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria In 2018 - Jobberman / 5 Reasons It Is Better To Work In Lagos Than Abuja / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amazon Becomes The World Most Dangerous Place To Work by crackclap: 7:49am On Jun 07, 2019
If there is a list of top football stars and Mr. Caty is counted among, does that make Mr. Caty a top football star? Yes or No? Your response here determines the journey ahead because it seems the media does not want to tell us the other side.

Amazon Fulfillment Center Receives $7K Fine, Hazard Alert Letters After OSHA Investigates Workplace Safety Complaint. OSHA – Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Employer name: Amazon Fulfillment Services

Site: 50 New Canton Way, Robbinsville, New Jersey

Citation and hazard alert letters issued: On Dec. 21, 2015, the U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Marlton Area Office issued one other-than-serious citation.

On Dec. 30, 2015, one ergonomic-related hazard-alert letter was issued. Additionally, OSHA issued a medical-related hazard-alert letter on Jan. 7, 2016.

Investigation findings: OSHA’s investigation began July 1, 2015, in response to a complaint alleging recordkeeping violations; employees exposed to workplace hazards including fall, noise, electrical and amputation hazards; and the lack of personal protective equipment.

OSHA investigators cited Amazon Fulfillment Services with the other-than-serious citation for not recording 26 instances of work-related injuries and illnesses on the required OSHA 300 logs.

Amazon received hazard-alert letters because the company exposed employees to ergonomic risk factors including stress from repeated bending at the waist and repeated exertions, and standing during entire shifts up to 10 hours, four days a week and sometimes including mandatory overtime shifts.

Also, the on-site medical unit provided medical care beyond what is allowed by their licensing and certification, without the supervision of a board certified qualified medical professional licensed to practice independently.

The employer has 15 business days from receipt of the citation and proposed penalty to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings before the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

Proposed penalty: $7,000

Quote: “Failure to properly record occupational illnesses and injuries is hazardous to workers. The lack of accurate data can mask patterns of injuries and illnesses that could help uncover conditions with the potential of putting workers at risk,” said Paula Dixon-Roderick, director of OSHA’s Marlton Area Office.

“In addition to keeping accurate records, Amazon should address the potential dangers identified in the hazard-alert letters to ensure the safety and health of its fulfillment center employees.” – Source.

Amazon Becomes Deadly

Not only that Amazon was listed on the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health’s “dirty dozen” list of most dangerous places to work in US which was as of April 2018, their inclusion on the list came due to the company’s pattern of unsafe working conditions.

Here is a true story from one who had worked there 4 years ago.

“I was a manager at Amazon. The unsafe conditions in that place are staggering. I had just finished an internship at a forensic engineering firm, so I was hyper aware of regulations and safe practices.

I complained verbally to the people above me about a specific problem, but nothing was done. Finally, I put that shit in writing and sent it to my boss, his boss, and his boss. It was ignored. I did not get one response.

A few days later, an incident occurred where someone broke their foot because of this safety concern. I mentioned this at the daily meeting and said how I had sent an email addressing this concern but did not get any response.

2 weeks later I was terminated” – N. S.

You might want to ask why this guy didn’t sue Amazon. Well, reasons based known to him, but it is interesting to know that in almost every instance in the USA, injured workers can’t sue their employer for those injuries.

How and why?

Because of what is called “worker’s comp”. It protects the employer from lawsuits and ensures there’s a system in place for employees to be compensated.
Sound odd or awful? If yes, then welcome to the States because that is one way the US removes rights from individuals and hands it to companies.

https://crackclap.com/amazon-becomes/

(1) (Reply)

Globacom Final Interview 2019 / WAEC Recruitment / Video Channel Setup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.