Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,359 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Freedom Of Information Bill Or Right To Information? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Freedom Of Information Bill Or Right To Information? (921 Views)

Lai Mohammed Assumes Office As Minister Of Information And Culture (Photos) / Intellectual Property Theft: An Open Letter To Information Nigeria Website / Insecurity: Okorocha Pledges N1m To Information Volunteers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Freedom Of Information Bill Or Right To Information? by ezioku(m): 8:46am On May 07, 2007
I was quite surprised that we now have a do or die president who has metamorphosed into an English Proffessor.  He said he has problems with the "freedom of information" (FOI) bill because it should have been "right to information"(ROI). He also claimed that it was imported from Somewhere. From where he did not specify.

As a nation of imports(we have no choice because we do not have electricity to manufacture) i wonder when this became a problem. Does he not import equipment for his farm? Is the current reform handed to us by IMF not imported? Has he forgotten that the Presidential system he is now enjoying and democracy we are struggling to practice are all imported? Double standards is the bane of OBJ's Govt.

Further he said that security is different from defence when he was reminded that security agents were part of the bill. He explained that non of them practice security at the level he does.  The question now is at what level does he practice his own security? Is it at the level where any one who criticises him becomes security risk to be attacked by EFCC,CCB,ICPC etc. This is one aspect.

The next question is where was he when all the public hearing about this bill was going on? For someone who claims to be the one fighting corruption why should be have problems signing this bill using flimsy excuses. Is it that he is now afraid that if this bill is passed people could get information to see the skeletons in his cupboard? Does this not portray him as the author and finisher of corruption?

My advise to the National assembly is that they should put all aside and pass this bill,when the bill is passed we would go to PTDF,NNPC,NPA,BPE,NMA etc and ask for release of their contract procedures and lets see who has been aiding and abeting corruption.

Another question that also disturbs me is why the senate after receing the bill since 2004 did nothing on it and only passed it in November. the clean bill was passed to the president on 23 March 2007. Can Mr Nnamani please explain what happened. I am aware the bill has been on going since 1999,why was it not given priority? Is it that you and Masari thought that you will be given control of Enugu and Katsina respectively  Abi?

Please both of you should redeem your image and veto the president on this bill, that is the only way to write your name in gold. Forget about passing vote of confidence or no confidence on the elections. This bill is important INEC will also sit up when this bill is passed.
Re: Freedom Of Information Bill Or Right To Information? by ne4real(f): 1:26pm On May 07, 2007
thanx my brother ,this are some of the very important topics that we should address, freedom of information bill, this govt. is afraid that
there cannot hold information as secret any more ,so we will expose some of their contract scam,personal dealings etc. OBJ, is afraid, the power this bill will have in transforming nigeria ,he wants us to remain his intellectual property ,MR KNOW IT ALL.

(1) (Reply)

What Can We Do To Help Nigeria? / Anambra State.god Will Save Us All / Only Heaven Knows How Many These Two Little Devils Have Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.