Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Fertilizers - Organic Or Inorganic - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fertilizers - Organic Or Inorganic (448 Views)

Organic And Inorganic Fertilizers And Fertilizer Raw Materials / Inorganic Versus Organic Fertilizer / Organic And Inorganic Fertilizer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fertilizers - Organic Or Inorganic by atnerjennac24(f): 5:29am On Jun 08, 2019

Do you use fertilizer in your garden? If so, do you mix your own or do you buy from your local nursery? Most of us use bagged fertilizers from our local nursery, but whether you mix your own fertilizer or use store bought, the question is do you know how they impact the plants and the soil?

In my last post, I discussed the basic nutrients in fertilizers, check out Vegetable Garden: Fertilizer 101 for more details. In this article, I will discuss the type of fertilizers and the pros and cons of using fertilizers in your garden.

With so many fertilizers available in the market, it is important to recognize the different types. Fertilizer sold in the market are either organic or inorganic. Inorganic fertilizers are known as “synthetic or “chemical” fertilizer. Fertilizers basically fall into two types: slow-release and quick-release. Most labels will tell you whether the fertilizer is a slow-release or quick-release fertilizer. If and when you decide to fertilize your soil, the question is usually, which is better organic or inorganic fertilizer?

Honestly, based on my experience I’m not sure if the plants can tell the difference, but I’m not a biologist so I can’t say for sure. I think the real question is how do they impact the soil and the environment? There is no doubt that there are major pros and cons when using either type. Ultimately, the choice will be up to you. Based on what you’re growing, how conscious you are about the environment and/or how deep your pocket is. And if you are still unsure, I’m hoping this article will help.

Organic fertilizers are made up of organic materials that must first be broken down by microbial activity before the nutrients are available to the plants. Consequently the nitrogen they contain is water-insoluble nitrogen (WIN). Both water insoluble and water soluble nitrogen percentage are labeled on a fertilizer bag, if no WIN is listed on the label, assume that all the nitrogen is water soluble or quickly available.

Generally, most organic fertilizers are known to be slow acting, meaning that they take longer to release nutrients into the soil therefore they are less likely to do damage to your plants if applied incorrectly. They release nutrients slowly to your plants throughout the growing seasons. There’s a misconception that only organic fertilizers are slow-released fertilizers.

However, slow release fertilizers can either be organic or inorganic. In fact, inorganic fertilizers are synthetically formulated to be both slow and fast release. Organic fertilizers are also known to improve soil structure by adding essential microorganisms into the soil in turns improves the soil’s ability to hold water and nutrients.

However, because of the natural components of organic fertilizers, they contain a much lower percentage of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, the three key nutrients in all fertilizers. Even though less application is required, a large quantity might be required when applied.

The downside of using organic or slow-released fertilizers in your garden is that they released the nutrients much slower into the soil and that per pound, they are much more expensive than inorganic fertilizers. I personally used both in my garden at different time so nutrients are always available to my plants.

On the other hand, chemical fertilizers are fast acting or quick-release fertilizer. Quick-release fertilizers contain water-soluble nitrogen. Unlike the slow-released fertilizers, they provide nutrients like nitrogen to plants immediately after applying. Which means using too much can damage and sometimes kill your plants, so it is important to use as directed.

Depending on your soil temperature and the amount of rain you receive in your area, those nutrients don’t usually last too long into the soil. More rain means more application might be required. The advantage of using chemical fertilizers is that you will know exactly what percentage of plant nutrients are available in each bag. Have you tested your soil lately?

If so, you’ll know what you need to add or remove from your soil to help maintain a neutral pH level for your plants. If you need to add Nitrogen to your soil, you’ll have an idea of what fertilizer you need based on the percentage labeled on the bag. The numbers labeled on the bags are very important to know because individual garden soil requirements, as well as specific plant needs.

Note that too much fertilizer does not make stronger plants! In fact, over-fertilization can cause quick, weak growth, leaving plants vulnerable to disease and wind damage. In addition, extra fertilizer washes away and can pollute streams, lakes, and ground water – our source of drinking water. Fertilizers should be used as directed from manufactures.

Below is a quick list of the advantages and disadvantages of using fertilizers them in your garden soil. What you choose is really up to you, remember this article is strictly informational.

Organic Fertilizers

• More expensive.
• Slow-release. Less likely to damaged plants.
• Nutrients are unlikely to be washed away.
• Less application is required.
• Improves soil’s structure and the ability to hold water and nutrients.
• Contains lower percentage of the key nutrients for your plants, such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
• Unfortunately, due to the organic nature of the

Inorganic Fertilizers

• Fast acting. Nutrients are available immediately to plants.
• Breakdown of plant nutrients are precise, therefore you know exactly you’re adding to the soil based on your need.
• Made of synthetic formulas.
• More application might be required in case of heavy rainfall.
• Can damage and even kill plants if applied incorrectly.
• Because chemical fertilizers are mass produced, they are less costly.

Each fertilizer is blended differently. Following the direction on when to apply and how often to apply correctly is crucial. So which is better, organic or inorganic? The choice is really up to you, the type of fertilizer you choose, organic or chemical impact your soil and the environment in different ways. I recommend to use both so your plants always have the right balance of nutrients.

Do you use your own mix of fertilizer? Please let us know how that has worked for you. Any tips from you will be most appreciated.
Check out: Best Vegetable Seeds for Planting to Feed Your Family

(1) (Reply)

Get An Agrotourism Experience To Songhai, Porto Novo / Soya Beans Needed In Funtua / Amazing Dwarf Paw Paw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.