Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Why The Security Warning From McAfee? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why The Security Warning From McAfee? (1141 Views)

John McAfee arrested in Guatemala for Murder / How Do I Remove Mcafee Anti Virus / 7 Useful Functions To Tighten The Security In Php (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Vicjustice: 10:44am On Oct 01, 2010
I just began to get this severe security warning with red alert (from McAfee) whenever i log on to this site, why the development, did anything change in the system?
   @Admin, this report is not meant to jeopardise the reputation of this site, but rather to make you aware of the development as those who are not familiar with the site might conclude that there may be something threatening in it.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by juzme: 12:25pm On Oct 01, 2010
I had similar situation late last month. Each time I try to open travel section my antivirus program would block it. And I could only use it if I disable my firewall or websecurity which is not recommended.
It didnt happen when you open nairaland.com and perhaps other sections.
I think the problem could be either that they update travel section with a corrupt file or someone posted a corrupt file. I hope the should rescan their file before uploading to the site.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by denzel2009: 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2010
False positives.

You guys should move your McAfee to the recycle bin tongue
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by juzme: 4:49pm On Oct 01, 2010
denzel2009:

False positives.

You may be wrong here. I have run a website which I mistakely uploaded a file that is corrupt. In some computer antivirus dont usually detect it while some do. It stop happening when I removed the file that is causing the problem.
Again, noone is saying it is going to harm your system if the security warning is very low and Of course there are sometimes one may have false positive with some antivirus program.
I dont use McAfee and I am not saying it is not ok.
You may only make that statement if you are working with the Admin and you are sure that no corrupt files are uploaded.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Seun(m): 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2010
Investigating this. Is there a good workaround?
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Seun(m): 7:55pm On Oct 03, 2010
I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint what Nairaland is being accused of doing.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/nairaland.com

http://www.trustedsource.org/query/nairaland.com

Help! sad
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Vicjustice: 11:38pm On Oct 03, 2010
Ha, this is sad, even an Italian mate (who is a registered user of Nairaland) also expressed his concerns: his computer security (which is not even McAfee but NOD32) also warns him of the danger. I think someone did something (perhaps unaware), but don't rule out the possibility that someone might be attacking this website for whatever reason. . .
Consult an expert to detect the source and rectify it as the danger reports is extremely discouraging
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Seun(m): 12:04am On Oct 04, 2010
I have mailed them but they have not replied.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Seun(m): 12:07am On Oct 04, 2010
Can we post tips on how to enable access to blocked sites?
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Slyr0x: 1:34am On Oct 04, 2010
denzel2009:

False positives.

+1.

Seun:

Can we post tips on how to enable access to blocked sites?

Simple.

Go to Programs & Features in Control Panel and uninstall McAfee grin + don't forget to install Avast wink

Virus Total --> http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=fdaa37812341e0eaecc29e2a00212004e527f1333e2d51189d608fc97de01163-1286151640

AVG--> http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.aspx

nORTON --> http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com

And they all found no issues with NL. So its def. a case of false positives.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Vicjustice: 10:47am On Oct 04, 2010
I think they will reply the email just that it may take some few days.
@Slyr0x, your findings may be correct and your idea may be partially smart, howbeit, it's not the solution; remember that a vast number of computer owners use McAfee, so it won't go well with such people.
But why should an innocent website be accused of posing risks to people's computer? I don't think the solution is to uninstall any antivirus programme that warns against it because, if the site is indeed innocent, then it should be totally cleared of every accusation and compatible with every antivirus.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Vicjustice: 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2010
Hurray!!! Problem resolved, well done admin, you really proven that Nairaland is indeed a trusted site.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Slyr0x: 3:52am On Oct 06, 2010
^^^So it was a false positive afterall.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Seun(m): 3:55am On Oct 06, 2010
I'm glad it's over. Phew. Thank you McAfee and thanks to all Nairalanders who stood by us in this trying time.
Re: Why The Security Warning From McAfee? by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 17, 2010
mcafee is a sheet product anyway

kis does not flag nl in anyway

better leave that invasive user unfriendly bloatware and move to ms security essentials

just the other day, a guy in the office could not er copy an idm crack to his pc b./c mcafe kept deleting it, without asking him first .

that is the hallmark of a product that should be thrown away, one that does not put the user in control.

anyhow. enough anti mcafee ranting

(1) (Reply)

Sms Gateway And Gtbank Naira / Free Adwords $70 Voucher Giveaway / Get Paid Posting ON My Forum : Need A Paid Moderator As Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.