Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests (1182 Views)

Drinking Tea Improves Brain Health, Study Suggests / 5 Shocking Things You Don't Know About Growing Beards / Bearded Men Carry ‘More Germs Than Dogs’ ― Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by chibaby1985(f): 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2019
It’s bad news for hipsters but men with beards harbour more germs in their whiskers than dogs carry in their fur, scientists say. The alarming news follows a study that found every sampled beard was crawling with bacteria, and nearly half had bugs that were hazardous to human health. By contrast, a number of dogs tested proved to have lower levels of microbes.

Now men have been left bristling with fury, with claims that the results stem from pogonophobia – the irrational fear of beards. In the study, scientists wanted to discover whether there was a risk that humans might pick up a dog-borne disease from an MRI scanner that was also used for examinations by vets. Researchers took swabs from the beards of 18 men and the necks of 30 dogs, across a range of breeds, and compared the results.

Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland’s Hirslanden Clinic, said: ‘The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men’s beards compared with the dogs’ fur.’ The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, but only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts. The remainder had moderate levels. Seven men were even found to harbour microbes that posed a threat to human health.

After the MRI exams of the dogs, the scanners were disinfected and showed a ‘significantly’ lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans. ‘On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,’ said Dr Gutzeit. This story originally appeared on https://science.howstuffworks.com

https://ebeanonews..com/2019/06/mens-beards-carry-more-bacteria-than.html
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by hisgrace090: 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2019
Total lie, I can't believe every nonsense research.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 10, 2019
♠️

More than the vagina?
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by ifunanyababe(f): 2:57pm On Jun 10, 2019
My boyfriend oooooo
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by GraGra247(m): 3:06pm On Jun 10, 2019
This is clearly an big unfortunate lie. Feminists are most likely behind this.

Proofs:

- A man showers daily and the better ones twice a day. Bacteria of that level can't exist with regular shower. Dogs get to shower once a week or every other day.

- Beards can be likened to hairs on everyone's head. Things can drop on the hair and settle there unnoticed. Yet hairs don't have that level of bacteria. Things can't easily drop on beards without being noticed. Plus gravity preventing such.

- Most female hair in Africa are voluminous and worn for days without being washed yet no one makes any claims about bacteria. Beards smaller in comparison and are washed everyday when men shower and yet its falsely claimed to have such levels of bacteria.

The research is obviously flawed and biased.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by Jmk9292(m): 3:13pm On Jun 10, 2019
That is very contextual...... In such research you must classify and categorise with reasons factored in.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by ifunanyababe(f): 3:59pm On Jun 10, 2019
GraGra247:

Proofs:

- A man showers daily and the better ones twice a day. Bacteria of that level can't exist with regular shower. Dogs get to shower once a week or every other day.

- Beards can be likened to hairs on everyone's head. Things can drop on the hair and settle there unnoticed. Yet hairs don't have that level of bacteria. Things can't easily drop on beards without being noticed. Plus gravity preventing such.

- Most female hair in Africa are voluminous and worn for days without being washed yet no one makes any claims about bacteria. Beards smaller in comparison and are washed everyday when men shower and yet its falsely claimed to have such levels of bacteria.

Thanks jare
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by ifunanyababe(f): 4:00pm On Jun 10, 2019
Oyibo and their research angry
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by megaxart(m): 4:32pm On Jun 10, 2019
GraGra247:

Proofs:

It may be possible. Don't blame feminists for everything against men.

Public Keyboards are proven to have more germs than toilet seats.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by ifunanyababe(f): 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2019
megaxart:

shocked
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by GraGra247(m): 4:51pm On Jun 10, 2019
megaxart:

Public keyboards don't shower and can't be washed. Toilet seats are washed from time to time. Men shower everyday... at least the sane ones.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by megaxart(m): 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2019
GraGra247:

Public keyboards don't shower and can't be washed. Toilet seats are washed from time to time. Men shower everyday... at least the sane ones.

Do you know how much germs are in urine and faeces? Assuming if it's been washed that same day and even if only two people use it we are talking about an insane amount of germs, I mean i'm sure you've been to a public restroom. How do you compare fingers to faeces?
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by GraGra247(m): 4:59pm On Jun 10, 2019
megaxart:

Do you know how much germs are in urine and faeces? Assuming if it's been washed that same day and even if only two people use it we are talking about an insane amount of germs, I mean i'm sure you've been to a public restroom. How do you compare fingers to faeces?

Urine and faeces don't shower. They are inside the body.

Beards are on the skin and gets washed everyday during a shower.

Argue with some sense. Use your brain.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by megaxart(m): 5:03pm On Jun 10, 2019
GraGra247:

Urine and faeces don't shower. They are inside the body.

Beards are on the skin and gets washed everyday during a shower.

Argue with some sense. Use your brain.

OK seems you can't get into a simple argument without getting offended and abusive.

Faeces and urine go into a toilet, right?
Sometimes these things have reminants on the toilet, right?

I said that the keyboard was dirtier than a toilet seat. Not faeces was dirtier than a keyboard.

If you'd like to have an argument online please be civil and not abusive.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by GraGra247(m): 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2019
megaxart:

OK seems you can't get into a simple argument without getting offended and abusive.

Faeces and urine go into a toilet, right?
Sometimes these things have reminants on the toilet, right?

I said that the keyboard was dirtier than a toilet seat. Not faeces was dirtier than a keyboard.

If you'd like to have an argument online please be civil and not abusive.

Nobody has abused you and the topic is about beards and not toilet seats.

If it will make you any happier then I declare toilet seats winner against keyboards or however you want it.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by megaxart(m): 5:12pm On Jun 10, 2019
GraGra247:

Nobody has abused you and the topic is about beards and not toilet seats.

If it will make you any happier then I declare toilet seats winner against keyboards or however you want it.

No one made the argument about that in the first place. I just said that don't rule out the research and referenced another shocking research. You were the one that started bringing up washing a toilet and and not washing a keyboard.

Also "use your Brain" is an insult even if the words aren't insultive. I'm not sure you would tell that to your boss.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by GraGra247(m): 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2019
megaxart:

No one made the argument about that in the first place. I just said that don't rule out the research and referenced another shocking research. You were the one that started bringing up washing a toilet and and not washing a keyboard.

Also "use your Brain" is an insult even if the words aren't insultive. I'm not sure you would tell that to your boss.

Thanks for admitting the words "use your brain" aren't insultive.

You are not my boss and so I can safely counsel you to "use your brain".
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by megaxart(m): 5:23pm On Jun 10, 2019
GraGra247:

Thanks for admitting the words "use your brain" aren't insultive.

You are not my boss and so I can safely counsel you to "use your brain".

I'm guessing you didn't understand what I said

The words use, your, brain on their own aren't insulting, the sentence as a whole is.
I don't care, use it however you like you have freedom of speech, if you are confident use it on the police. Though in an argument being verbally abusive renders your point invalid.

Goodbye.
Re: Men's Beards Carry More Bacteria Than Dogs, Study Suggests by ifunanyababe(f): 6:05pm On Jun 10, 2019
megaxart:

I'm guessing you didn't understand what I said

The words use, your, brain on their own aren't insulting, the sentence as a whole is.
I don't care, use it however you like you have freedom of speech, if you are confident use it on the police. Though in an argument being verbally abusive renders your point invalid.

Goodbye.

Nawaoh ooooo

(1) (Reply)

Meet A Woman Whose Breast Won't Stop growing / Osinbajo Is Our Only Hope-nard / My Stool Is Hard And Difficult To Pass Out. What Do I Do Please?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.