Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,303 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone (1014 Views)

Google Is Planning To Manufacture Its Own Android Handset / Before You Buy The Innjoo Phones On Sale On Jumia.com, Please Read This. / The Phone Section Archive/Threads Library (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bolof2000(m): 5:03pm On Oct 01, 2010
PLZ ADVISE ME. WHAT DO I STAND TO REALLY ENJOY IF I BUY DIS FONE, ?\

I DONT WANT TO BUY BLACK BERRY,
COS OF THE MONTHLY 5K.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Princeofilorin(m): 8:22pm On Oct 01, 2010
I used it briefly and i have to admit it isn't user friendly.it has nice features but The overall user experience is Uncomparable to the Iphone.

I have Iphones for sale

contact 07030237175
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by lynxnoon(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2010
@poster
go for any htc phone
cheers
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by damouchi45: 10:31am On Oct 02, 2010
Its a gud fone really enjoyed browsing wit it.bt av got to let mine go.its for sale 55k.08037049716
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bolof2000(m): 10:50am On Oct 02, 2010
i tut you said someone was coming for it. i called you once. am fucking intrested bt it has to be very clean, perfect shape, and off course you have to bring the price down. do you have all the accesories? how long have you been using it. cash is so ready if the fone really still make sense. beep me or text me on 08036492550

loook, am very intrested
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bigbrovar: 11:39am On Oct 03, 2010
I have been using the device now for close to 13 months and I have to say its the best phone I have ever owned. (I have used almost every smart phone from Nokia in addition to the iPhone and handled the google Nexus 1 Android phone for close to a week) It is very powerful and has a very dedicated community behind it. However I would advise that before getting the phone you should do more research about it to see if its a device for you. I have seen many people who use the device but are unable to unlock its potential get frustrated and sell the phone. As good as the N900 is its not a mainstream device for everyone. Nokia targetted the device at geeks and tech enthusiast not the normal users. Even then its not that hard to use if you are not new to smart phones you would soon learn to love the device. I would advise you watch some youtube videos of the device before you make up your mind. It would go along way to show you much about the device and how best to use it.

The device has alot of strong points for one the browser support is like no other. you can install firefox and opera and the default browser is one of the best u can get on a mobile phone (blowing what u have on the iphone out of the water completely)

Multimedia support is another strong aware where the N900 shines. It plays avi, xvid, mp4 even dvd files (VOB(, dvix etc all out of the box without neeed to encode and the video comes out clear and without any stuttering.

IM and SMS is also a strong area the way it support your IM is so integrated and u cant find that level of integration in any phone. eg your yahoo contact show up as part of your phone contacts so you can always merge a person's yahoo ID with his phone number. when you stroll through you contacts u would see a yellow glow beside the contacts who are online. msging app called conversation has pluggins for facebook chat, gtalk, msn, yahoo, jabber, skype etc. with the facebook chat it also pulls in the contact avater and date of birth (using an app) and even location and adds them to the contact details (the date of birth is added to your calendar and a reminder set for you) and the location is also added so that when u click on it it opens ovi maps and shows you the map to that location. You can also merge contacts informations (using an app to do it automatically or u can do it manually) into one. hence I can merge a person's gtalk, yahoo, skype, and facebook handle to his gsm number as one contact infor. and when you try to call the person the phone would ask if u wanna call his gsm or gtalk or skype. It also support video calls for both gtalk and skype.

Another area of strength of the N900 is its ability to multitask. No phone does it better than the N900 it has like 256mb or ram and 754mb swap memory hence it is very easy to run up to 12 apps simultanously and all running apps can be view as a dashboard (u have to youtube to appreciate this)

as a geek device the N900 has no rival. you can install android and even Nokia's latest project Meego on it. It allows u to dualboot debian linux on it and u can even overclock the cpu to up to 1.2ghz from 600mhz. it has apps for vpn, nmap, and even a commandline shell witht he gnu toolchains and comes installed with python out of the box. If you are familiar with linux then u would be right at home as the N900 runs a modified version of debian linux.

I don't intend on selling my device anytime soon but still always caution potential buyers to look before they leap. The nokia N8 would be out very soon you might wanna wait a few weeks (A nokia employee informed me it would be released on october 13) since the N8 is a more mainstream device.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Princeofilorin(m): 12:21pm On Oct 03, 2010
Well said but the iPhone 3GS also has 256 MB of RAM, can multitask,and does all those contact integration with skype,YIM,e.t.c but the best feature about the iPhone is the AppStore.it has applications that do virtually anything.I have quick office with opens PDF files,powepoint and word files.I even have emulators that enable u plaY playstation and N64 games on the iPhone.I also have skype,facebook and twitter apps.another thing I luv about the iPhone is the capacitive touchscreen as opposed to the resistive touchscreen on N900.I've used Nokia N95,N96,N97 and N900 and even though all these phones r cool,they can't be compared to the iPhone.I'm wAiting for nokia N8
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by damouchi45: 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2010
Dnt knw y ppl kip comparing d iphone to nokia N900,iphone is wack.lots of apps bt not free,N900 has tons of dem for free.it can b overclocked,u try dat on ur iphone n u will c aw it will crash into oblivion.had d N900 bt sold it wen I was given d new bold3 as a gift.still regret selln it.its a great fone u cnt compare any fone to it.it has been hacked wit android 2.2 workin perfectly well on it av u tried dt on ur iphone n c if it won't blow up,
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bolof2000(m): 6:51pm On Oct 03, 2010
FINALLY, I GOT THE FONE FROM A NAIRALANDER. I AM YET TO SEE THE FONE THOUGH. BT ALREADY PAID FOR IT, I HOPE I DONT REGRET SHA,
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 03, 2010
bolof2000:

FINALLY, I GOT THE FONE FROM A NAIRALANDER. I AM YET TO SEE THE FONE  THOUGH. BT ALREADY PAID FOR IT,  I HOPE I DONT REGRET SHA,
grin grin grin grin
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bolof2000(m): 6:57pm On Oct 03, 2010
YEAH, NL IS THE BEST.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by texazzpete(m): 7:43pm On Oct 03, 2010
bolof2000:

FINALLY, I GOT THE FONE FROM A NAIRALANDER. I AM YET TO SEE THE FONE THOUGH. BT ALREADY PAID FOR IT, I HOPE I DONT REGRET SHA,

Let's know when you actually get it.

I never did like the phone that much, though. Too chubby, too few buttons and an over-reliance on the open source community and too few highly polished commercial applications on it. Plus a resistive screen angry

As bigbrovar says though, if you're a power user and into all that linux stuff, you'll be right at home on the device.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by lynxnoon(m): 9:58am On Oct 04, 2010
bolof2000:

and i hope u've not been "jobbed" oh!!
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by engrhamid(m): 2:25pm On Oct 04, 2010
lynxnoon:

and i hope u've not been "jobbed" oh!!

I hope so too
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by engrhamid(m): 2:26pm On Oct 04, 2010
bigbrovar:

I have been using the device now for close to 13 months and I have to say its the best phone I have ever owned. (I have used almost every smart phone from Nokia in addition to the iPhone and handled the google Nexus 1 Android phone for close to a week) It is very powerful and has a very dedicated community behind it. However I would advise that before getting the phone you should do more research about it to see if its a device for you. I have seen many people who use the device but are unable to unlock its potential get frustrated and sell the phone. As good as the N900 is its not a mainstream device for everyone. Nokia targetted the device at geeks and tech enthusiast not the normal users. Even then its not that hard to use if you are not new to smart phones you would soon learn to love the device. I would advise you watch some youtube videos of the device before you make up your mind. It would go along way to show you much about the device and how best to use it.

The device has alot of strong points for one the browser support is like no other. you can install firefox and opera and the default browser is one of the best u can get on a mobile phone (blowing what u have on the iphone out of the water completely)

Multimedia support is another strong aware where the N900 shines. It plays avi, xvid, mp4 even dvd files (VOB(, dvix etc all out of the box without neeed to encode and the video comes out clear and without any stuttering.

IM and SMS is also a strong area the way it support your IM is so integrated and u cant find that level of integration in any phone. eg your yahoo contact show up as part of your phone contacts so you can always merge a person's yahoo ID with his phone number. when you stroll through you contacts u would see a yellow glow beside the contacts who are online. msging app called conversation has pluggins for facebook chat, gtalk, msn, yahoo, jabber, skype etc. with the facebook chat it also pulls in the contact avater and date of birth (using an app) and even location and adds them to the contact details (the date of birth is added to your calendar and a reminder set for you) and the location is also added so that when u click on it it opens ovi maps and shows you the map to that location. You can also merge contacts informations (using an app to do it automatically or u can do it manually) into one. hence I can merge a person's gtalk, yahoo, skype, and facebook handle to his gsm number as one contact infor. and when you try to call the person the phone would ask if u wanna call his gsm or gtalk or skype. It also support video calls for both gtalk and skype.

Another area of strength of the N900 is its ability to multitask. No phone does it better than the N900 it has like 256mb or ram and 754mb swap memory hence it is very easy to run up to 12 apps simultanously and all running apps can be view as a dashboard (u have to youtube to appreciate this)

as a geek device the N900 has no rival. you can install android and even Nokia's latest project Meego on it. It allows u to dualboot debian linux on it and u can even overclock the cpu to up to 1.2ghz from 600mhz. it has apps for vpn, nmap, and even a commandline shell witht he gnu toolchains and comes installed with python out of the box. If you are familiar with linux then u would be right at home as the N900 runs a modified version of debian linux.

I don't intend on selling my device anytime soon but still always caution potential buyers to look before they leap. The nokia N8 would be out very soon you might wanna wait a few weeks (A nokia employee informed me it would be released on october 13) since the N8 is a more mainstream device.
Nice write up man. Could u pls lets discuss on yim? lepalized@yahoo.com
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bigrovar(m): 12:53pm On Oct 05, 2010
Princeofilorin:

Well said but the iPhone 3GS also has 256 MB of RAM, can multitask,and does all those contact integration with skype,YIM,e.t.c but the best feature about the iPhone is the AppStore.it has applications that do virtually anything.I have quick office with opens PDF files,powepoint and word files.I even have emulators that enable u plaY playstation and N64 games on the iPhone.I also have skype,facebook and twitter apps.another thing I luv about the iPhone is the capacitive touchscreen as opposed to the resistive touchscreen on N900.I've used Nokia N95,N96,N97 and N900 and even though all these phones r cool,they can't be compared to the iPhone.I'm wAiting for nokia N8
The N900 is not for everyone and same applies for the iPhone. I for one can not stand the iPhone even though I might recommend it for a girlfriend who leaves where the phone is supported. The iphone in term of technology or potential has no rival. But the problem is the lockdown and the wall gargen. Many of the service you talk about can not be easily enjoyed legally in Nigeria. To use appstore u need an itunes account. and to have an itunes account you need a US Credit with a US address (or UK) beside the unlock issue is also there, you can not enjoy upgrades to the firmware because doing so endangers your phone. I really could do with all the hassle which is why I would don't always recommend the iPhone for people Living in Nigeria because unless you are a geek and is ready for the cat and mouse game with apple. Like I said the N900 is not for everyone. It is for people who want a mobile computing power device. for that purpose the N900 has no rival.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by texazzpete(m): 10:41pm On Oct 05, 2010
bigrovar:

The N900 is not for everyone and same applies for the iPhone. I for one can not stand the iPhone even though I might recommend it for a girlfriend who leaves where the phone is supported. The iphone in term of technology or potential has no rival. But the problem is the lockdown and the wall gargen. Many of the service you talk about can not be easily enjoyed legally in Nigeria. To use appstore u need an itunes account. and to have an itunes account you need a US Credit with a US address (or UK) beside the unlock issue is also there, you can not enjoy upgrades to the firmware because doing so endangers your phone. I really could do with all the hassle which is why I would don't always recommend the iPhone for people Living in Nigeria because unless you are a geek and is ready for the cat and mouse game with apple. Like I said the N900 is not for everyone. It is for people who want a mobile computing power device. for that purpose the N900 has no rival.

Yes, to use the appstore you need an itunes account. And creating an itunes account for free is extremely easy. There are tons of guides floating round the net for that. Plus you can also you gift cards to purchase stuff from itunes if you want. However, there are loads of free apps that can easily fill your phone, and lots of commercial apps that show a high degree of polish than most Nokia apps can't dream of.
Unlocked iPhones are everywhere, firmware upgrades are never too far away if you know what you're doing. Jailbreaking your iPhone is far less painless than much of the tweaking you guys do on your N900, and it gets rid of that 'walled garden' in many ways. The iPhone does mobile computing and mobile entertainment very well indeed.

I won't argue with you, the N900 is a great device. Just pointing out a few things as a long term iPhone user.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Judeylive(m): 12:14am On Oct 06, 2010
texazzpete:

Yes, to use the appstore you need an itunes account. And creating an itunes account for free is extremely easy. There are tons of guides floating round the net for that. Plus you can also you gift cards to purchase stuff from itunes if you want. However, there are loads of free apps that can easily fill your phone, and lots of commercial apps that show a high degree of polish than most Nokia apps can't dream of.
Unlocked iPhones are everywhere, firmware upgrades are never too far away if you know what you're doing. Jailbreaking your iPhone is far less painless than much of the tweaking you guys do on your N900, and it gets rid of that 'walled garden' in many ways. The iPhone does mobile computing and mobile entertainment very well indeed.

I won't argue with you, the N900 is a great device. Just pointing out a few things as a long term iPhone user.
Texazzpete, Plz I need to discuss something important with you. Are you on facebook? Or can you give me your email addy?
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by texazzpete(m): 7:14am On Oct 06, 2010
Judeylive:

Texazzpete, Plz I need to discuss something important with you. Are you on facebook? Or can you give me your email addy?

Why would i give a total stranger my facebook details? grin

Here's an email you can reach me on priyeandroid@googlemail.com
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Judeylive(m): 7:56am On Oct 06, 2010
texazzpete:

Why would i give a total stranger my facebook details? grin

Here's an email you can reach me on priyeandroid@googlemail.com

About the facebook denial, I understand! Anyways, I've sent you a message already. Plz check it!
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by dekin(m): 2:25pm On Oct 07, 2010
this phone is amazing. i carried out my first wireless hack (wep keys) from my phone today. though it took like 2 hours to get enough packets but then, grin grin grin
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by bolof2000(m): 3:06pm On Oct 09, 2010
yeah.finally got the phone.am brosing with now.is like i am on my pc
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Damola12: 6:44pm On Nov 07, 2010
That doz it i'm goin 2 get myn within the week.Pliz watz d current slot price.
Re: Guys Using N900, Advise Me, Am Planning To Buy The Phone by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 07, 2010
i started this thread, am glad i bought this phone.now,i dont reaslly touch my laptop dis days,dis fone does everytin for me,even the push mails is wonderful,chating is very fun,and i like the threaded sms,.i get too busy with the fone most time,and sometimes ,my friends dat use bb get bored with thier own fone,for me,i never get bored,only dat i dont have 3g network in my zone,bt still,this fone shudnt be compare to Iphone or bb

(1) (Reply)

Blue Ftp / Toshiba Thrive – My Hands On Review / Buy One Get One Phone Free. Smartphones Bogof @ 07032075655

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.