Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Leadership Style - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Leadership Style (195 Views)

Six Leadership Principles To Learn From An Eagle / Timber Traders At Bridgehead Onitsha Protest Against Their Leadership / Qualities Of Good Leadership In Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Leadership Style by HonSTONE(m): 10:07pm On Jun 10, 2019
LEADERSHIP STYLE

I was invited few days ago to speak in a summit on Leadership. When I got on stage, I asked my audience a question.
“How many of you want to be great leaders?”
I saw many hands went up.
“How many of you want to serve?”
Few hands went up.

A lot of people want to lead but only few people want to serve. You cannot be a great leader when you do not want to serve others.
Leadership is not position. Leadership is inspiration. Leadership is service.
A leader is someone who inspires others with a vision while working together to achieve a common goal. So, leadership has to do with Inspiration, Vision, Team work, and Achieving set out goals.

However, there are different styles of leadership and I am going to share them with you.

1) Autocratic Leadership Style:

This is also known as the Task Oriented Leaders. They do not care about you; they just want the task to be done. They are the boss. They are dictators. They come to the office and set goals for the week or month or year and walk away. They just want results. Even if you spend your entire night working on the project, they do not care. What they are after is the results. They tell you what to do and how to do it. You do not have a say.

2) Delegating Leadership Style:

This is also known as the People Oriented Leaders. They are more of the delegating type. They love to assign responsibilities to others without doing anything. They tell others what to do and wait for results. When there is a big task ahead, the leader breaks the big task into smaller tasks and the team members get something doing but the leader just sits and watch. They do not want to be responsible for anything and when the mission goes south, they blame the person in charge.

I used to be this kind of a leader. I used to believe that as a leader, my duty was to assign responsibilities to others but I was wrong.
This leads us to the third kind of leadership style.

3) Democratic Leadership Style:

This is also known as the People-Task Oriented Leaders. They are concern about the team members and they work with the team to achieve the set goals. For example, I have a team and we have a target of training 1000 young adults in public speaking. As the team leader, I assign responsibilities to the team members and myself. So, together we work to accomplish our goals.
That is a great leader. The leader must work with his team members. You are their inspiration; they need to see you. You give them hope. You give them a sense of purpose. You have listen to them. This is where the team spirit starts from.

A great leader must understand the power of team work.
A great leader is not the Boss. He is not a dictator. He is not a delegator. He is part of the team. He is an inspiration.

What kind of leader do you want to become?

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have A Mentor? / Want To Work On Your Dissertation, Thesis, Seminar, Assignment, Etc. Contact Us / Affordable Education In Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.