Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,143 members, 7,821,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

How We Saved Kechi Okwuchi-sosoliso Survivor. The True Story - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How We Saved Kechi Okwuchi-sosoliso Survivor. The True Story (522 Views)

Sosoliso Crash Survivor Kechi Okwuchi Recalls Tragedy With 2007 Photos / Kechi Okwuchi, Sosoliso Crash Survivor, Remembers 15th Anniversary Of Disaster / Munachi Abii Meets Kechi Okwuchi, Sosoliso Plane Crash Survivor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Saved Kechi Okwuchi-sosoliso Survivor. The True Story by igala1(m): 7:48am On Jun 14, 2019
HOW WE SAVED KECHI OKWUCHI-THE TRUE STORY

To God be the glory, just like a movie, Ive been following the wonderful transformation of beloved Kechi Okwuchi, a lady who amongst hundreds of victims survived the ill-fated Sosoliso plane crah to become a brand and testimony of Gods awesomeness.

It all started on 10th December, 2005. I was a serving corps member and staff of ALML, an indigeneios firm that operated the now defunct VIRGIN NIGERIA AIRWAYS. I was stationed near the terminal of Portharcourt Interational Airport that fateful day, my duty was to record the time of arrival of the Virgin Nigeria aircraft arriving from Lagos or so. It saw a rainy evening around 4-5 pm. The ETA (estimated time of arrival) of Sosoliso flight from ABV (Abuja) had been announced over the sound system at the airport, after which that of Virgin flight would arrive.
Suddenly, we heard an earthquake that shock the foundation of the airport. We were all terrified it may be the rapture. We were later told it was an helicopter that crashed. But shortly, we noticed the Sosoliso aircraft had refused to arrive as scheduled. I could see fire from the other end of the tarmac.

As an enthusiastic youngman, I pulled my uniform, a blue shirt and black trousers, I removed my shoes and socks and made way to the far end of the tarmac to see things for myself, I then joined one Mr Johnson, a FAAN staff who was with the FAAN driver in their pick-up van. We raced near the scene.
I turned pale immediately at the sight before me. It was like war in Rwanda, the aircraft had been torn into twain, body parts littered the places, bags and baggages littered the entire tarmac. We could see fellow Rescuers fighting over loots. They were picking cashes belonging to the poor victims.

A voice in me warned, if you pick anything from here, you'd be poor forever. We withdrew and went in search of any survivors. We were able to pick some who were dying in excruciating pains, some were picked from a near by drainage, they must have been knocked in by the crash impact. We picked a total of about seven (7) victims, and raced to the nearby clinic at the airport. We were told there were no special facilities to resuscitate them. We were advised to rush them to BMH (hospital near Government House).

I was at the rear of the pick-up van with the victims while Mr Johnson and the driver were at the front, as we speed to BMH. A hand grabbed my legs yelling for help, she said, I dont want to die. All the victims were crying in unbearable pains. Their eyes swollen of blood and debris, their body smelt blood and boiled fats. I couldnt withstand it. I was crying and praying as we moved past Waterlines.
On arrival at BMH, the medical team on duty were very helpful. They evacuated the victims but confirmed three dead. The four (4) initial survivors were rushed to a ward and given some treatments.

There I was able to put my ears close to one of the victims, a young lady. I asked of her name and she mentioned Kechi or Nkechi as I remember. I was able to extract the phone number of her close contacts. I dialed the number and a panicky female voice picked the call, it was her mother, one Mrs Ijeoma or Chioma.

She kept asking if her daughter was alive, I assured her she was. I moved to the other victim too a female in her twenties I guess, I managed to get her contacts too, I dialed the number, it was a male that picked, his name would make him from the West (Yoruba). I was later told the lady was the Personal Assistant to Pastor Bimbo.

Shortly afterwards, Mr Johnson, the driver and I were asked to deposit the corpses at the mortuary at BMH. After depositing the corpse, We were Immediately arrested, I was dipping water from my pants when we were detained and interrogated on the incident. However, orders from the then Governor, Sir Peter Odili, ensured we were released as he instructed all hospitals, public and private to receive victims of the ill-fated Sosoliso Air Crash.

I kept communications with Kechis mum and on the next day, 11th December, 2005 myself and a couple of my colleagues and bosses at ALML (portharcourt) paid her a visit at Shell IA where she was recuperating but in an unconscious state. We offered prayers and kept hopes.

We have since lost contacts, but Im always happy the role we played to see hope in God for Kechi.
Mr Johnson I believe still works with FAAN, and I Mr Momoh Gabriel Oluwaseyi 08032514040 is happily married with 5 kids and live at Port Harcourt.
Re: How We Saved Kechi Okwuchi-sosoliso Survivor. The True Story by AroOkigbo(m): 7:57am On Jun 14, 2019
Nice one
Re: How We Saved Kechi Okwuchi-sosoliso Survivor. The True Story by darocha1: 7:58am On Jun 14, 2019
Sad
Re: How We Saved Kechi Okwuchi-sosoliso Survivor. The True Story by blanket6560(m): 9:11am On Jun 14, 2019
God bless u but the most confusing part of the story is why u dropped your phone number..

(1) (Reply)

Final Year Student Died After Taking A Fake Malaria Drug At Enugu / Leo Dasilva Calls Out Governor Sanwo-olu Over U-turn On Ending Apapa Gridlock / A Look At 2face’s 20 Years On The Stage, Story Narrated ​by Richard Mofe Damijo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.