Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,937 members, 7,956,529 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:21 PM

Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year (33235 Views)

Divine Oduduru Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test, Faces 6-Year Ban / #ineverexperredit: Divine Oduduru Graduates From Texas Tech University (photos) / Divine Oduduru Becomes Fastest Man In The World, Smashes Bolt's record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by oyetunder(m): 4:28pm On Jun 14, 2019
he is a wise guy. If he had delayed for another year to earn a degree, his strength would have reduced. He can always go for degrees later.

2 Likes

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by tex73: 4:29pm On Jun 14, 2019
This is how it works in America. He needs to make his money now and he will later complete his last year in school if he chooses to. Sportsmen and women deteriorate with age and he's almost at his peak,so timing is essential for such decisions.

2 Likes

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by oluezekiel(m): 4:32pm On Jun 14, 2019
A reporter added this: "Divine Oduduru says Texas Tech feels more like home than where he grew up in Nigeria. Even though he announced going pro, he will still get his degree in December and train at Tech. #WreckEm @fox34"

So he's not a dropout after all.

2 Likes

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by ogbonti: 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2019
enemyofprogress:
grin grin

imporrrrrrrrrrrrr impossible grin grin grin grin

u 2 funny lol, why u no tell Buhari to let Atiku rule since him don rule naija for combined 66 months... who go spit sugar comot mouth? lol grin
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Nikoubery: 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2019
[
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by ImpregnaTor(m): 4:41pm On Jun 14, 2019
i hav noticed something about people living in America, ones they find their talent they don't mind dropping out of college to pursue their dream full time, as observed by many of their musicians, scientist and business men.

try that in Nigeria wether village people will not hear ur matter...

that means Americans don't value University degree as much as Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by na2016: 4:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
Though this doesn't concern me but it sounds like a very stupid decision.
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by pinkyruledworld(m): 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2019
QuickStandard:
Wrong idea.

Since you were already in your finals, you would have just waited for the last session.

But las las, like someone said above,

School is good but it doesn't guarantee success
Ogbeni, I am not someone, i am pinky. Heheh, just kidding
Sure, schol doesnt guarantee success, tho some opportunity fit just require education sometimes
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Mrkenny22(m): 5:03pm On Jun 14, 2019
His decision is very WRONG. He should have just relax and be patient for just one more year. Because he has a promising future at athletics does not mean he should be rushing in taking decisions. Na wao.
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by sonnie10: 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2019
Unlike Nigeria universities, in the US undergraduate college is different. When you are in school, it’s more like you are gathering credits, for most courses once you have the required numbers of credits, you can apply for graduation.
There is even option for transfer, all he would do is to reapply, it might even be to another college and complete the 30 credits for final year. It more like talking a break and not dropping out

1 Like

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by bluke(m): 5:13pm On Jun 14, 2019
vertueptime:
If he comw breakleg nko?

he go return
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by dabossman(m): 6:09pm On Jun 14, 2019
Saltybear:

The anthem of failures

Continue, when you are at that busstop in future selling gala and fan yogo I am sure those in Nigeria will patronize you undecided

naptu2:
Probably because of the "professional vs amateur" problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateurism_in_the_NCAA
Exactly Oga Naptu2

unclexofficial:
Divine Oduduru, the Nigeria athletics star has reportedly dropped out of an American University, Texas Tech University he got a scholarship at in his final year. Divine Oduduru reportedly dropped out of the American University in his final year, to purse a professional career as an athlete. This came after he was declared the second fastest African in the 100m after compatriot Olusoji Fasuba. Recall that we reported earlier that the Nigeria star who competed at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Championships on Friday, June 7, won both the 100m and 200m events as Texas Tech's claimed its maiden men's athletics national title.

"I want to say thank you to Texas Tech University for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to come study here," Oduduru said as he thanked his team mates.  "I want to thank all of my teammates — from the sprinters to the jumpers to the throwers — for always believing in me and giving me so much support. I never felt like I was not at home here. It has been so great being here at Tech, and now I've made up my mind that I want to go pursue my career. I'll always be proud to say I am a Red Raider and a Tech student. Wherever I go to, I will be proud to say that" he added.

Here is the video he shared below;

https://unclesuru.com/2019/06/14/divine-oduduru-drops-out-of-american-university-in-final-year/

OP, get your facts straight. he is not dropping out of school but out of the scholarship program. He will most likely pay for his final year once he can secure huge sponsorship deals which the scholarship currently prevents him from doing.

See below:

"Since joining Texas Tech on scholarship, Divine Oduduru has been a huge revelation. As a student-athlete, he's broken a bunch of records and even managed to set new ones. Now, it looks like his career is really about to take off, as he just announced he's going professional.

This means that Oduduru will drop out of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) scholarship that got him into Texas Tech in the first place, as the contract restricts him from earning money through commercial deals.

However, this doesn’t mean the athlete will be left out in the rain. In fact, he’s now taking his career to the next level, and we’re talking about huge sponsorship deals. Oduduru’s coach, Wes Kittley, estimates that the Nigerian can earn as much as $500,000 (N180 million) yearly as a professional.

Oduduru is 22 years old, and this is the best time for him to make money in athletics. In 2016, he ran alongside Usain Bolt at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, and with this new path, he could become the face of big brands across the world – just like the world’s fastest man.

https://www.konbini.com/ng/lifestyle/divine-oduduru-just-announced-hes-starting-his-professional-career/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by 9gerian: 7:00pm On Jun 14, 2019
Why not put it on hold for awhile?
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by laudate: 7:47pm On Jun 14, 2019
odizeey:
No be say you go come dey talk say them no honour you when your leg don weak o.
Like a guy said up there ' if he break leg nko?'

Why not complete, why.

I suspect village people.
I wonder, o! shocked Just one year remaining to complete the course, and get the certificate. At the end of the day, he may not even need to use it, but it would serve as confirmation to the world, that the years spent in school were not wasted.

It isn't starting a race that matters, but finishing it and finishing well. Anyway, I just heard that he is not dropping out of school. He is merely dropping out of the scholarship programme. So there is still hope for him to finish school.
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Freshlorde: 7:54pm On Jun 14, 2019
The one your papa dey sell?
Saltybear:

The anthem of failures

Continue, when you are at that busstop in future selling gala and fan yogo I am sure those in Nigeria will patronize you undecided
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 14, 2019
Freshlorde:
The one your papa dey sell?

Just stated a fact! Keep up this nonsense"school na scam" rubbish said by touts and vagabonds

One day you will wake up with a carton of gala and a basket of fan yogo on your head in the hot sun Hawking in traffic then you will remember this comment

1 Like

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by vertueptime: 8:19pm On Jun 14, 2019
bluke:

he go return
And start from year one
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 14, 2019
unclexofficial:
Divine Oduduru, the Nigeria athletics star has reportedly dropped out of an American University, Texas Tech University he got a scholarship at in his final year. Divine Oduduru reportedly dropped out of the American University in his final year, to purse a professional career as an athlete. This came after he was declared the second fastest African in the 100m after compatriot Olusoji Fasuba. Recall that we reported earlier that the Nigeria star who competed at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Championships on Friday, June 7, won both the 100m and 200m events as Texas Tech's claimed its maiden men's athletics national title.

"I want to say thank you to Texas Tech University for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to come study here," Oduduru said as he thanked his team mates.  "I want to thank all of my teammates — from the sprinters to the jumpers to the throwers — for always believing in me and giving me so much support. I never felt like I was not at home here. It has been so great being here at Tech, and now I've made up my mind that I want to go pursue my career. I'll always be proud to say I am a Red Raider and a Tech student. Wherever I go to, I will be proud to say that" he added.

Here is the video he shared below;

https://unclesuru.com/2019/06/14/divine-oduduru-drops-out-of-american-university-in-final-year/

He will still be awarded his degree.

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by ped007(m): 8:28pm On Jun 14, 2019
vertueptime:
If he comw breakleg nko?
Their Doctors go do their work...
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Kay25(m): 8:58pm On Jun 14, 2019
FuckDaMods:
Stupid decision
show me your own record and I will believe he made a stupid decision
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Dramadiddy(m): 9:24pm On Jun 14, 2019
Upton:
This is a difficult moment for him. He is in his best moment career wise, setting records in athletics and he is in final year. One year can change a lot. Now that he is feeling good, it is a good opportunity to pursue a career in professional athletics and you can't combine it with schooling; He might not be in the right form next year to make it big.

At the end of the day, what matters is what he wants to be remembered for - A great athlete or a great tech guy?
I hope you're working at some expensive company that pays you well cos this comment is top notch!

1 Like

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by ThePreachersSon: 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2019
Divine did not drop out of school. He decided not to register for another NCAA athletic season because he wants to start competing professionally. He attends the school on a athletic scholarship, and opting out of it's athletic program means he'd lose the scholarship, but not his place in the university.
Under NCAA rules he can't earn money, he can't compete at professional meets, even when he represents Nigeria, he has to do it for free.
He'd continue attending but he has to pay tuition. He's turning pro anyway, so he should afford his final year.

2 Likes

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Freshlorde: 10:19pm On Jun 14, 2019
Your papa dan hawk finish ?
Saltybear:

Just stated a fact! Keep up this nonsense"school na scam" rubbish said by touts and vagabonds

One day you will wake up with a carton of gala and a basket of fan yogo on your head in the hot sun Hawking in traffic then you will remember this comment

Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jun 14, 2019
Scantyhair:

Na wetin e like e dy do xo
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by Nathayas: 12:21am On Jun 15, 2019
Why not finish schooling first
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by TSRC: 8:12am On Jun 15, 2019
Texas tech feels more like home than where he grew up.

lol. What an imsult to the delta state government that brought him to limelight.
And that was what the oyibo reporter used as headline. cheesy

The guy is already telling america to come get him.
But there are better ways of doing that na without insulting your home.
Re: Divine Oduduru Drops Out Of Texas Tech University In Final Year by OALandAgents: 9:07am On Jun 15, 2019
Totally agree with you, he is in the form of his life and may never be at this level ever again. World Championships are scheduled later in this season and he has a chance at sporting immortality and making his fortune. He made the correct decision, he can always complete his studies another year.
Upton:
This is a difficult moment for him. He is in his best moment career wise, setting records in athletics and he is in final year. One year can change a lot. Now that he is feeling good, it is a good opportunity to pursue a career in professional athletics and you can't combine it with schooling; He might not be in the right form next year to make it big.

At the end of the day, what matters is what he wants to be remembered for - A great athlete or a great tech guy?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Poses With His Ferrari Spider / Solomon Dalung Orders Amaju Pinnick To Step Down As NFF Boss / Real Madrid Re-Appoints Zinedine Zidane As Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.